Non-motoring > So I guess that means I'm sacked.... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 7

So I guess that means I'm sacked.... - R.P.
www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-10922843
 So I guess that means I'm sacked.... - Perky Penguin
People are not meant to stand up while the aircraft is on the ground and moving. Equally if a lot stand up there isn't much a few cabin crew can do to sit them down. A tactic sometimes used is for the crew to tell the pilot who than makes a single sharp application of the brakes; those who are seated are fine and those who aren't fall over and can't sue because they had disobeyed a lawful instruction.
 So I guess that means I'm sacked.... - mikeyb
I like the fact he stopped to grab a beer before "exiting" the aircraft
 So I guess that means I'm sacked.... - Fursty Ferret
>> tactic sometimes used is for the crew to tell
>> the pilot who than makes a single sharp application of the brakes; those who are
>> seated are fine and those who aren't fall over and can't sue because they had
>> disobeyed a lawful instruction.
>>

Never known this to happen (and would never allow it to happen on any flight I'm operating) but it's not unheard of when using an automated docking system for it to detect something anomalous and show "STOP IMMEDIATELY". Even if only moving at 5mph it's a very abrupt stop and is the main reason why it's a good idea to stay sitting down...

Example:

www.airport-int.com/upload/image_files/articles/images/companies/943/safegate-l.jpg
 So I guess that means I'm sacked.... - Kevin
Many folk (mainly business travellers) on internal US flights will stuff everything into a maximum size carry-on so nothing goes in the hold. They are the ones you see crowded around the gate so they can board first and cram the thing into the overhead locker so that some other poor schmuck has to sit with their briefcase under the seat in front of them.

When they reach the destination they will jump up before the plane has reached the stand and struggle to get the thing out again. I've seen quite quite a few 'accidents' where another passenger has had to defend themselves when it comes free unexpectedly.

The worst incident I saw was after a flight from Austin to Chicago. A guy just ahead of me had jammed his case in so tight that when it came free it hit another guy sat across the aisle, right on the side of the head.

The injured party was taken off by medics and the other guy by security staff.

Kevin...
 So I guess that means I'm sacked.... - paulb
>> When they reach the destination they will jump up before the plane has reached the
>> stand

This is exactly the same sort of behaviour as the people I see on my train to London Bridge in the mornings. They get up from their seats when the train is still about 2 miles out from the terminus and start jostling to be the first out of the carriage door.

Needless to say, I can never be bothered with this sort of thing and have no idea what it's supposed to achieve, particularly as almost every morning I then catch up with a good few of these folks waiting outside for the same bus that I'm getting. Talk about wasted effort.
 So I guess that means I'm sacked.... - smokie
When I was commuting Heathrow to Aberdeen, we were all keen to get home on a Friday afternoon but there was always (at least) one self-important businessman who jumped the entire security queue muttering that he was on the same plane as the rest of us and he was late.

Not always the same bloke though :-)
 So I guess that means I'm sacked.... - helicopter
I do not do this and hate the people who do this - they compromise aircraft safety and the safety of passengers.... Why do they think they are going to get through the airport any quicker?

When I go to airports where you catch a bus from plane to terminal I always wait to get out last from the plane and all these people are crushed inside the coach whilst as last in the coach I stand by the door and am usually first out the door into immigration.

I remember once being on either a Sabena or Swissair holiday flight ( long time ago ) where a number of passengers released seat belts and stood up whilst engines were still running thinking the plane had reached the stand - when it had not.

The stewardess in charge was a tiny German and she glared down the aisle and screamed in best obergruppenfuhrer fashion

'You vill sit down and fasten ze seat belts immediately'........

Her sheer force of authority meant I have never seen so many cowed people rushing to sit back down .....no one dared stand up again until the engines were off and the unfasten seat belt sign went on..

Latest Forum Posts