Non-motoring > Self-propelled petrol-powered rotary mower advice Miscellaneous
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 36

Self-propelled petrol-powered rotary mower advice - L'escargot
Because of falling strength and mobility, and increasing pain, I'm finding it increasingly difficult to push our Mountfield HP470 hand-propelled petrol-powered rotary mower. To retain my independence I see the next step as being a self-propelled mower with a similar blade diameter ~ currently 45 cm (17"). I think (but I'm not certain) that the Briggs and Stratton engine is 148cc and I consider that a self-propelled replacement should preferably have a larger enging than that so that it has adequate power to drive the cutting blade. I don't want to end up with something which has adequqte power for self-propulsion, but is short of cutting power.

Any suggestions or obversations? I'll consider any make. I'll be looking to buy from a local agent who will deliver the mower fully assembled and ready to go.
 Self-propelled petrol-powered rotary mower advice - sherlock47
Probably best to wait until Sept - when the discounts kick-in in the the sheds. My Mountfield was about 50% off in September from B&Q .
 Self-propelled petrol-powered rotary mower advice - R.P.
Bought a Mountfield Self propelled mower for less than a hundred notes (once all the discounts had been factored in) - works well, at that price if it only lasts five years it's a bargain.
>> Bought a Mountfield Self propelled mower ...............

What model number and blade diameter? What engine make/size? Does it have a plastic collection container rather than a cheap fabric bag?
Last edited by: L'escargot on Tue 10 Aug 10 at 11:57
150cc petrol engine, "mountfield" motor, plastic collection box, 454SP 44 cm blade...probably a far east engine but who cares really ?
 Self-propelled petrol-powered rotary mower advice - Falkirk Bairn
>>Because of falling strength

Are you breathless quickly when you push the mower?

I had breathlessness when pushing the mower 2 months ago and I thought I had a chest infection when what I had was a symptom of anemia! the cause is more drastic than a simple as a chest infection.

2 months ago I was looking at a self-propelled mower and now I am looking at surgery!

That said I might still need to get a self-propelled lawnmower soon as SWMBO finds it hard going.

On the otherhand you could register to get the grass cut by the council garden scheme - in these hard times I think the council would prefer you buy a new mower.
>> >>Because of falling strength
>>
>> Are you breathless quickly when you push the mower?

My lungs are OK. My problem is the degenaration of my spine (and the effect it's having on the nerves which pass through it) and which our doctor's practice says is irrepairable.
 Self-propelled petrol-powered rotary mower advice - sherlock47
>>>>degenaration of my spine (and the effect it's having on the nerves which pass through it)<<<<

I would question your decision to get a pull to start IC mower then. You may be better off with an electric. Also many women find a pull start dfificult.
The pull start on the Mountfield is located so one doesn't have to bend to reach it, it's a short light pull and minimal effort even if one's shell is fragile.
 Self-propelled petrol-powered rotary mower advice - Dulwich Estate
I have a dodgy back and recently got a new petrol mower with an electric start - brilliant as I'm no longer worn out before I even start cutting the grass.

Go for an alloy chassis rather than steel - it will last forever. Thin steel ones can rot within a few years if you are not thorough with cleaning and drying.

I prefer the auto-push type that moves at your walking pace, whatever it may be, rather than one with fixed speeds.
Mine has a hand throttle, and can be persuaded into a spin if required !
 Self-propelled petrol-powered rotary mower advice - Perky Penguin
If a lifetime of reliability AND user comfort are worth paying for I might suggest a Honda mower and perhaps some equity release - they aren't cheap
 Self-propelled petrol-powered rotary mower advice - Marc
Alanovic and myself both bought (push) Honda Izys from this establishment :

www.justlawnmowers.co.uk/

Excellent range and prices - would be good for your research.

I found their advice useful and impartial too.

Re a self propelled, my FiL has a John Deere mulching mower and I found it lighter than my Honda even when pushing. Nice piece of kit but pricey.
 Self-propelled petrol-powered rotary mower advice - Skoda
>> Alanovic

Where is Alanovic, not seen him posting in ages
 Self-propelled petrol-powered rotary mower advice - MD
He's mowing.
Thanks for all your advice. Honda is/are looking good.
 Self-propelled petrol-powered rotary mower advice - tyro
Where is Alanovic, not seen him posting in ages

I'd noticed. He's not posted since the rather heated "Eastern European debate".
 Self-propelled petrol-powered rotary mower advice - Pat
As so often happens when people attack the poster and not the post..........

Pat
>> As so often happens when people attack the poster and not the post..........
>>
>> Pat
>>

If someone attacks me on here I just laugh or gnore them ~ sometimes just for that particular post, and others for ever and a day henceforth!
Last edited by: L'escargot on Wed 11 Aug 10 at 11:04
By the way, L'escargot, let us know how you get on. I'm getting fed up pushing my mower around the garden.
I still using my hand-propelled mower. As an interim measure I've made it easier by raising the cut. I've just changed the oil using the 2 litre Pela oil extractor which was delivered this morning. It does what it says on the box!
Yes, but you and I have thick skins and broad shoulders L'es:)

Pat
 Self-propelled petrol-powered rotary mower advice - Mike Hannon
It all depends how much you want to spend, doesn't it? My advice is spend as much as possible - I'll second the advice on having a cast alloy cutting deck for longevity and I'd also recommend a machine that has an automatic clutch and brake mechanism for the blade, so you don't have to restart the engine every time you touch something. Turning over the engine with a recoil starter, rather than engine and cutting mechanism as well, is much easier.
My 190cc overhead valve 6hp Briggs and Stratton has now done 9 seasons' hard work - it's a bit crude but has been reliable. My neighbour has a new machine with a 190cc Honda that is quieter.
 Self-propelled petrol-powered rotary mower advice - Manatee
>>I'll second the advice on having a cast alloy cutting deck for longevity

I've only had one mower with one of these, a Mountfield Emperor that probably cost £800. A stone knocked a lump out of the deck fairly early in its life and after that it had a piece of aluminium sheet riveted over the hole for the rest of its days.
 Self-propelled petrol-powered rotary mower advice - Iffy
...falling strength and mobility, and increasing pain...

This could cause problems with starting, and taking the mower 'to and from' when it's not under power.

I have one of these at the caravan in leafy North Yorkshire: tinyurl.com/38hgulr

A Bosch 36volt rechargeable mower.

Light, easy to handle, probably not much harder to push than a propelled petrol mower.

Starts at the squeeze of the safety switch - about the heaviest job is lifting the battery in and out.

They do larger sizes than mine, but careful calculation would be required if you have a big lawn.

I'm now considering an electric start self-propelled mower.

How does the electric start mechanism work?
 Self-propelled petrol-powered rotary mower advice - Zero
How does your car starter system work?
 Self-propelled petrol-powered rotary mower advice - Fenlander
Go to a local helpful Honda mower dealers and ask to start one of their 17" cut models and I think you'll find elec start isn't needed. The Honda engine is a world apart from all other makes in ease of starting. They start first time every time but also with a pull cord effort about half other makes... and often firing after less than half the pull cord length.

Regarding power I think the Honda self-propelled models around 17" have the 4/4.5HP 135cc engine which has plenty of power to drive a mower along and spin the blade in the longest of normal lawn grass. My 22" Honda self-propelled has the 5.5HP engine but that is to cope with the extra cut width power requirements.

Also if you get one (not sure if they all have it) with the clutch that stops the blade when you release a handgrip lever you can empty the grassbox without stopping the engine so only one pull-start per mowing session.

BTW for the ultimate longevity the honda hi-tec *plastic* deck is better than steel of alloy.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Sat 28 Aug 10 at 12:09
Of course it should have said...

BTW for the ultimate longevity the honda hi-tec *plastic* deck is better than steel OR alloy.
In the end I settled for a Husqvarna LC48VE, delivered fully assembled and ready to use by the local agent, and including taking away and disposing of my old Mountfirld HP 470. The only disappointment so far has been that the heaviness ~ 43 kg excluding fluids and grass ~ makes it difficult for me to shuffle about and change directions at the end of each traverse. However, the equivalent Mountfield is only about 4 kg lighter, and I couldn''t imaginge getting one delivered fully assembled and including disposal of my old mower.

The power of the LC48VE is more than adequate. On some occasions when the four wheels haven't all in contact with the lawn I've got wheelspin! Starting it is a delight, with no need to manually prime or choke the engine.
43 kg? And I thought that my new Honda was too heavy at 36 kg!

Still, you do have the 3-in-1 cutting system, and the variable speed propulsion, both of which, I imagine, must be a considerable advantage.
>> Still, you do have the 3-in-1 cutting system, and the variable speed propulsion, both of
>> which, I imagine, must be a considerable advantage.
>>

And you can connect a hosepipe to enable you to wash the underside of the deck with the blades rotating.
Interested to know how the variable speed is selected on the new mower?
Should we have a dedicated Lawn Mower Forum?

You could have get togethers and organise races.
Who can mow the straightest lines?
What's the optimum speed to get the greenest lawn?
My blade is sharper than yours?

Only joking Gents:)

Pat
>> Interested to know how the variable speed is selected on the new mower?
>>

You just squeeze the blue lever on the handle bar. Don't ask me how it works, however.
So does that select 2/3 speeds or is it stepless?
>> So does that select 2/3 speeds or is it stepless?
>>

Stepless.
Latest Forum Posts