Non-motoring > George Michael RIP Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Focal Point Replies: 38

George Michael RIP - Focal Point
2016 continues its ghastly cull of the famous in culture and the arts.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38432862

Further details awaited.
Last edited by: Focal Point on Sun 25 Dec 16 at 23:07
 George Michael Dead - mikeyb
I thought he had turned a corner and things were improving for him.

Sad loss, 2016 continues its ruthless path right to the end
 George Michael Dead - zippy
Part of the soundtrack to my youth and my age group.

Very sad indeed!

RIP

George Michael Dead - rtj70
They famous are falling like flies in 2016!

I wonder if Carrie Fisher will be next - I hope she's okay. She's suffered enough in life.

This is another sad passing.

I remember Wham! the Music Box on the Spectrum. Heard their music mostly on the bus on the way to school - assuming we had a coach with a working stereo.

Why did I find such an app interesting - the Spectrum was naff for sound. But I did program a crude sampler of audio so it could play back basic digitised sound. But the eighties were a long time ago.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 26 Dec 16 at 00:22
 George Michael Dead - rtj70
Careless Whisper Spectrum style:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNDVJLma-W4
 George Michael Dead - Duncan
>> They famous are falling like flies in 2016!

No, they are not.

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04m0hp8
 George Michael Dead - Cliff Pope
>> 2016 continues its ruthless path right to the end
>>

Unlike previous years, where celebrities were born at a faster rate than they died, and everything in the garden was lovely?
Last edited by: Cliff Pope on Mon 26 Dec 16 at 09:20
 George Michael Dead - PeterS
I think it's fair to say that more 'celebrities' *are* created each year than used to be the case, though the longevity of them is perhaps somewhat less!! However George Michael certainly had longevity and, whether you liked his style(s) of music or not was a very talented singer and songwriter. His music has certainly been part of the soundtrack to my life since the Wham days of the 80s...it's a real shame he's died so young
 George Michael RIP - Focal Point
Immediate cause of death: heart failure, apparently, though there has yet to be a post-mortem.
 George Michael RIP - Ian (Cape Town)
George Michael's last Christmas, then?
 George Michael RIP - Roger.
As he reaches the pearly gates "Oy, Pete, where are the public bogs?"
 George Michael RIP - Dog
Media vita in morte sumus quem quaerimus adjutoremnisi te, Domine, qui pro peccatis nostris juste irasceris?
 George Michael RIP - Oldgit
Christ Almighty, I came here to get away from all this! Seems I have to shun all medial outlets at least for today.
>>Seems I have to
>> shun all medial outlets at least for today.
>>
Kim Kardashian, the blimp-a***d live-action sexdoll is getting divorced from the mentalist she married, apparently.
Faux grief and flower laying abound, yet again.

What next - "Je suis George Michael"?

Personal grief at the death of a loved member of one's family is fine, but weeping and gnashing of teeth in a very public fashion over someone not personally known is just too crass.

(It started to surface, in recent years at least, with the death of Diana, Princess of Wales and the mass hysteria evinced then, although I believe Admiral Lord Nelson had a good send off in his day!)

Mild regret at the death of a well known entertainment or sports figure surely should be enough?
 George Michael RIP - zippy
You are a miserable old git sometimes Roger!
 George Michael RIP - smokie
That's true but he has a point on this occasion:-). The media do rather go into overdrive about this kind of thing, tragic though it is - and I liked much of George and Rick Parfitt's stuff.
 George Michael RIP - R.P.
The very same media loved to report his various falls from grace and were fawning over him last night.
Considering his pretty hedonistic lifestyle, I'm amazed he is being made out as a saintly type.
Drugs abuse, sexual promiscuity with strangers, a string of other problems...
Yep, great role model.
 George Michael RIP - Pat
>>Considering his pretty hedonistic lifestyle, I'm amazed he is being made out as a saintly type.<<

I never was a Wham fan but lets consider the other side of his character as well.

He was the person who saw a woman on Deal or No Deal trying to win enough for IVF treatment.

She didn't but he topped it up anonymously and made it possible for her.

He donated a lot of his fortune to Cancer charities, also to Aids charities.

I'd like to be remembered for the bad things I've done as well as the good.

Pat

....and Roger, I wouldn't lay flowers or light candles publicly, but those who do have my blessing as it really doesn't affect me. I can happily ignore it, maybe you should try it too?

I think it's called Live and Let Live in the posh world.

In my world it's called 'stop being so b***** judgmental.'

Last edited by: Pat on Tue 27 Dec 16 at 10:47
 George Michael RIP - CGNorwich
"I'd like to be remembered for the bad things I've done as well as the good."

I hope you are going to spill the beans on those bad things. Look forward to the post!
 George Michael RIP - Pat
I've done a lot of things in my 70 years I'm not proud of CG.

Do I regret them?....probably not.

I learned a long time ago that none of us are perfect, and if you asked my family who are older than me, they would probably tell you I was the black sheep of the family.

The reasons? I didn't conform to their view of how a 'young lady' should behave.

I had a motorbike, I was a single mum but looking after an elderly alcoholic mother when I had three elder brothers who thought it was MY job to do that as I was the only girl.

I rebelled. I did my duty and looked after both my son and my mother well, but reserved the right when I did get the chance to go out which was rare, to chill out and be a sixties hippy.

I did what I wanted to do after my Mum died and became a lorry driver much to the disgust of most of my family and friends who now keep asking me to visit them as they are much older than me.

But, I won't.

I remember when I wasn't acceptable to them and I'm still the same me now, even though they may think I'm not!

No-one is perfect and I don't think there is anyone on here who hasn't done wrong.

If there is, they must be incredibly boring:)

Pat
Last edited by: Pat on Tue 27 Dec 16 at 14:34
 George Michael RIP - CGNorwich
Yep, no one is perfect. I must confess I drove the wrong way down a one way street back in 93

Oh and there was the incident involving the neighbours a shotgun and a new patio but that was totally justified
 George Michael RIP - Dog
=>black sheep

Two on this forum ... any more for any more?? :)

I was listening to the radio the other day about all the homeless folk in this country of late, it reminded me of when I was shut out of my home by my elder sister back in '68.

Fortunately I had many friends, one of whom let me sleep with him, well, not actually with him, we had our own beds and used to listen to Cream and Pink Floyd after having 'skinned up'.

:o}
 George Michael RIP - Duncan

>> He was the person who saw a woman on Deal or No Deal trying to
>> win enough for IVF treatment.
>>
>> She didn't but he topped it up anonymously and made it possible for her.
>>

Can someone please explain what the word 'anonymous' means?
 George Michael RIP - PeterS
SQ 4 LB

>> Can someone please explain what the word 'anonymous' means?

Short of handing over a wad of cash no donation is ever truly anonymous. Card payments require a name, cheques have a name, bank transfers show the name of the sender. This one has only been attributed to George Michael because the presenter released the information after his death - the info hadn't been released before by the donator or anyone else AFAIK. He clearly didn't want, or need, the publicity.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 28 Dec 16 at 02:19
>> Considering his pretty hedonistic lifestyle, I'm amazed he is being made out as a saintly
>> type.
>> Drugs abuse, sexual promiscuity with strangers, a string of other problems...
>> Yep, great role model.
>>

I think people liked his music. It was known that he had problems with drugs.

Is sexual promiscuity the issue it was once seen as? We have moved on from Henry VIII who had not only his many wives but several other wenches as well, or is it only a problem because many of his later partners were male?

Perhaps it is because of his flaws that so many liked him? It makes the famous seem more like us, something we can relate to.
>> Considering his pretty hedonistic lifestyle, I'm amazed he is being made out as a saintly
>> type.
>> Drugs abuse, sexual promiscuity with strangers, a string of other problems...
>> Yep, great role model.
>>

We all have flaws...what if his were part of what made him such an extraordinary artist...? In fact, they probably were!
It's mildly entertaining seeing how worked up you can get about these things Roger...it's hardly mass hysteria is it? To bring a bit of balance,as far as I can see the death of George Michael was only headline news on the BBC for about 36 hours, over 48 of the slowest news hours in the year... It made a change from the usual endless 'look backs' on 2016, with the added bonus that I have been reminded of a whole raft of really rather good songs and performances :)

But I wonder if this type of coverage really unusual? It was before my time, so this is a genuine question, but how much press coverage did John Lenon's death get? Yes, I realise he was shot and I didn't just die. But both deaths were unexpected, and I'd wager George Michael's songwriting, performances and generosity have had a greater impact on more peoples life's...
 George Michael RIP - Bromptonaut

>> But I wonder if this type of coverage really unusual? It was before my time,
>> so this is a genuine question, but how much press coverage did John Lenon's death
>> get? Yes, I realise he was shot and I didn't just die. But both deaths
>> were unexpected,

I was working in Liverpool when news of Lennon's death broke. Turned on local radio and wondered if back to back Beatles was equivalent to Radio One's seven thirty segue. Reality only impinged when announcer broke in to explain why.

News of course travelled more slowly then. TV and pretty well all radio shut down overnight. No internet and news was too late to be in papers except possibly late final editions. I'm sure papers had lengthy accounts, obits memorial supplements etc by the following days and there was adjustment to TV schedules for special programmes.

Meaningful comparison though is impossible due to media revolution(s) since 1980.

What does seem new is coverage on BBC Radio 4's key news programmes - Today, World at One etc. Bowie in particular seemed to get an immense amount of air time. But, excepting Lennon and those like Hendrix or Jim Morrison who died in their prime it's only now that stars of the mass media age are coming of an age to die of natural causes in significant numbers.
 George Michael RIP - Duncan
>> 2016 continues its ghastly cull of the famous in culture and the arts.

Nah.

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04m0hp8
More of me being judgemental!

imgur.com/gallery/lXqBHjk
 George Michael RIP - Bromptonaut
>> More of me being judgemental!
>>
>> imgur.com/gallery/lXqBHjk

I'm sure that called upon/compelled to do so today's youth would rise to the challenge.
>>More of me being judgemental!

>>imgur.com/gallery/lXqBHjk

I really dislike this sort of thing. It reminds me of a visit to a client many years ago (when I was a wet behind the ears).

The client was the book keeper (an old codger) and I was overseeing the performance of a business loan. It wasn't performing and I told him so. He ranted on that young people didn't know anything and what was needed was another war!

What a sod - just because people didn't do what he wanted he would like to see tens of millions die and I told him so.

The client complained and I got a meeting with my director shortly afterwards and gave my side of the story (he was ex RAF and had been in shooting wars) and told me in no uncertain terms that any sane person who had ever been in a war would never want to visit the experience on anyone else!
Last edited by: zippy on Wed 28 Dec 16 at 22:51
This one was only 25.....

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnson_Beharry
 George Michael RIP - VxFan
Died of natural causes.

"The pop star suffered a dilated cardiomyopathy with myocarditis and fatty liver, according to Darren Salter, senior coroner for Oxfordshire."

www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-39193367

So, he wasn't careless with his whisper after all.

Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 7 Mar 17 at 13:16
>> Died of natural causes.
>>
>> "The pop star suffered a dilated cardiomyopathy with myocarditis and fatty liver, according to Darren
>> Salter, senior coroner for Oxfordshire."

Can we hear from a Different Coroner, please?
I think you've just got to have faith with this one Ian ;)
 George Michael RIP - henry k
>> >> Died of natural causes.
>> Can we hear from a Different Coroner, please?
>>
I know it is the Sun....
www.thesun.co.uk/news/3036270/as-coroner-report-reveals-george-michael-died-of-natural-causes-questions-still-remain-after-drug-test-results-hushed-up/
Latest Forum Posts