Non-motoring > Christmas unplanned jobs and mumbles. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 25

Christmas unplanned jobs and mumbles. - henry k
09:00 A cold call re boilers.
Must contact the Telephone Preference Service.

Pesky GU10 bulb needs replacing.
its a very awkward fitting but needs to be done today.

Happy Christmas
 Christmas unplanned jobs and mumbles. - smokie
I put some items on eBay two weeks ago, and relisted those which didn't sell, not thinking that they'd be ending on Christmas Day!!

A potential punter has asked questions on one this morning about the laptop, which has involved booting it up and gathering some info...

Cold calling is a bit much on Christmas Day...
 Christmas unplanned jobs and mumbles. - Dog
Jist had a couple of Waitrose mince pies with propa Cornish clotted cream Mmmmm!
Made 3 Cornish saffron cakes on Friday, took me the best part of all day, thems is yeast cakes so y'all have to let the dough rise ... twice, then I goes and burn them in the oven, recipe said 40 mins @ 220° so I dunnem at 180° for 30 mins being as it's a fan oven, they still blimmin burnt though.

Neighb, who I gave one of the cakes to sez I should 'ave covered the cakes with Greece proof paper or my tinfoil hat :o)

Frohe Weihnachten.
 Christmas unplanned jobs and mumbles. - Pat
Got Christmas Pud and clotted cream later Dog, would never have it with anything else!

BTW, my turkey legs have fallen off....I presume it's done?:-)

Pat
Got Chrissey puds later :)

ASDA extra special jobbies :(

Rodda's clotted cream should liven them up though.

Just been out around the Eden with the dogs, not another soul in sight (surprise surprise) reminds me of The Survivors (first series) kinda nice TBH.

I said to the ole woman I could get used to this ... as long as the shops were open now and again :)
Last edited by: Dog on Sun 25 Dec 16 at 15:38
 Christmas unplanned jobs and mumbles. - Ted

You got turkey legs, Pat ? Must be hard to find shoes....praps Humph can help ! Happy Chrimbo....nevertheless X
 Christmas unplanned jobs and mumbles. - Bromptonaut
Mrs B and I are having Christmas in the caravan.

Arriving on site on Friday both kitchen and bathroom mixer taps, after messing about with an airlock, would only dribble. Shower though had normal flow. Since we never use it we disconnected the head and filled pans/kettle from shower's hose.

Initially convince myself either airlock or frost damage due incorect winterising.

Noticed this morning that both taps have a filter, apparently called an aerator, in end.

Removed, cleaned out and full flow restored.
 Christmas unplanned jobs and mumbles. - sherlock47
A family Christmas away from home always brings delightful problems. At about 10.00 Xmas day the Thames Water supply failed for a large area around Twickenham! Back to just a trickle 4 hours later.

Dishwasher full of dirty dishes, 13 for lunch, nobody showered, washing machine stalled.

I told her not to have a new combi boiler and ditch the storage tanks.

At least I managed to get 24 bottles of sparkling water from the local Indian supermarket. By the time I left they had run out :)

Could have made a 100% profit on reselling on the street.

Christmas unplanned jobs and mumbles. - R.P.
Cleaned the motorhome. May be selling it. Got an offer on the abode. New house bit short on frontage
 Christmas unplanned jobs and mumbles. - Roger.
Went to Antrim Shore (Lough Neagh). Ruddy windy: ruddy cold: back in car ruddy quickly.
 Christmas unplanned jobs and mumbles. - VxFan
>> Shower though had normal flow. Since we never use it

Good job it's not warm weather ;)
 Christmas unplanned jobs and mumbles. - legacylad
Holding my 12yo Lakeland in my arms for the final time this morning at my Mums when the vet sent him on his final journey. My Mums amazing neighbours were there, who walked him every day and they will miss him as much as I shall.
Grave dug and a small ceremony this afternoon.
Devastated
>>Grave dug and a small ceremony this afternoon. Devastated

I had a basinful of that last year with my 15 year old Ridgeback. 12 isn't a great age for a Lakeland so I'd assume he/she was suffering. The pain is over now, for him.
 Christmas unplanned jobs and mumbles. - Pat
So sorry to hear that Legacy Lad.

I know you knew it was coming as we did with Gussy, but it doesn't make it any easier when it finally arrives.

You made the unselfish choice so always remember that.

Pat
We've been to the Giant's Causeway today.
It's NOT giant: the stones are smaller than I imagined them to be.
 Christmas unplanned jobs and mumbles. - CGNorwich
Yep Jagger is very slight.
....but uglier!
 Christmas unplanned jobs and mumbles. - tyrednemotional
>> ....but uglier!
>>

....though, surprisingly, still alive.

(A couple of days to go yet, though..... ;-) )
 Christmas unplanned jobs and mumbles. - smokie
I was at the Desert Trip concert in California in Oct where the Stones played.

Jagger welcomed us to the "Catch 'em before they croak concert", which got a good laugh, given that the line up was 6 concerts over 3 days of 2 hrs+ each by the Stones, Bob Dylan, Paul McCartney, Neil Young, Roger Waters and The Who. Average stage age apparently well into the 70s...

(I must say none of them showed their age, there were fantastic sets from all. Dylan could do with crushing up on his manners though...)
 Christmas unplanned jobs and mumbles. - Fullchat
New Years Eve morning discovered there was no hot water. Oil boiler had tripped out and continued to do so after resets. Checked out oil flow from new tank fitted summer time in case any errant bits had blocked filter but it was good.
No option but to ring local oil suppler / maintenance company about midday. Answering machine service eventually directed me to emergency callout informing me £160 + VAT + parts, inclusive of 1hrs labour and travel time. Bullet had to be bitten :(
Engineer arrived within hour and a half and took 20min to fit an oil pump. at £130. All good and toasty again. So good service at a price which I suppose was to be expected.
Happy New Year :((( £££
Last edited by: Fullchat on Wed 4 Jan 17 at 22:31
A jolly day tomorrow - taking our two grandchildren out to buy exciting things like non badged school uniform, as their Mum, our daughter, is working.
On Sunday, it's hey-ho for the overnight ferry and delivery of the two to school on Monday morning and finally, after three weeks away, down the A1 to our own home!
Peace ;-)
 Christmas unplanned jobs and mumbles. - bathtub tom
Just picked up this thread:

Woke up Christmas Eve with the lurgy. Supposed to be travelling South to Surrey to daughter's for Christmas. M1 South closed (J13-12) since 2:30 AM due to accident. Highlight of the holiday was when it re-opened just before we left.

Joined the crawl M1 J13-12, hear the M25s shut Northbound due to an accident, but think it won't bother us. M25 shut Southbound for air ambulance. Divert around places I'd vaguely heard of (Iver) to join the M4 crawling onto the M25.

Return after Boxing day to find a crawl up to the Wisley interchange, got round the roundabout and routed through Esher and Hampton. M1 clogged, so left at J9 and wound through Luton.

In future I vow to only travel early morning or evening!

Still sniffing and snorting.
 Christmas unplanned jobs and mumbles. - Duncan
>> M1 South closed (J13-12) since 2:30 AM due to accident. Highlight of
>> the holiday was when it re-opened just before we left.
>>
>> Joined the crawl M1 J13-12, hear the M25s shut Northbound due to an accident, but
>> think it won't bother us. M25 shut Southbound for air ambulance. Divert around places I'd
>> vaguely heard of (Iver) to join the M4 crawling onto the M25.
>>
>> Return after Boxing day to find a crawl up to the Wisley interchange, got round
>> the roundabout and routed through Esher and Hampton. M1 clogged, so left at J9 and
>> wound through Luton.

Next time consider;-

Coming off M1 at J15a (Northampton services?), taking A43 to M40, M40 to M25 and so on. This is actually Lady Duncan's preferred route, but not mine - too many roundabouts on A43. The rule is - whoever is driving gets to choose the route.

I gave you a wave in Esher, but I thought you looked a bit grumpy.
 Christmas unplanned jobs and mumbles. - bathtub tom
>>I gave you a wave in Esher, but I thought you looked a bit grumpy.

Should've seen me by the time I crawled off the M1 J9 and got through Luton!
Well, it's nice to be back home after three weeks away visiting our daughter and SIL in N.I.
(One of the good things about home is the peace and quiet, much as we love the children they ARE boisterous!)
We collected the grandchildren from school at the end of term and returned them yesterday.
We all travelled on the Stena ferry, Birkenhead to Belfast and had 1 day trip (Very long and boring) and one night return with the cheapest cabin available. VERY cosy with 2 + 2, but the bunks were very comfortable. A tad over £400 all in.
A really early start, back to the school in York area, was negated by horrendous traffic on the M62, exacerbated by a closure on the M6. A beastly trip in the wet and spray.
We really did not see as much of N.I. as we would have liked, but a trip in better weather should remedy that. The Giant's Causeway, disappointed me rather, as for some reason, I had envisioned the rock formations as being bigger.
Getting home - I used my forehead as a whacker plate on the pavement, tripping while dragging a case out of the car and breaking my fall with my head! Good job I'm hard headed!
A few scrapes and a b***** forehead was the only result, thankfully.

Last edited by: Roger. on Tue 10 Jan 17 at 13:59
>>I used my forehead as a whacker plate on the pavement, tripping while dragging a case out of the car and breaking my fall with my head! Good job I'm hard headed!
A few scrapes and a b***** forehead was the only result, thankfully

Mayhap you should have gorn to the horsepiddle to get a head wound checked out at your age guvnor.
Latest Forum Posts