Non-motoring > Shortest day Miscellaneous
Thread Author: John Boy Replies: 31

Shortest day - John Boy
Winter Solstice - photos from Stonehenge at dawn:

tinyurl.com/zsc9lon
 Shortest day - Duncan
A load of people that want looking at.
 Shortest day - Dog
Each to his/her own. They are happy smiley people = what's wrong with that?? [pity about the wev!]
 Shortest day - sooty123
Probably think talking about cars and other things, with people on the Internet you've never met is weird.
 Shortest day - Duncan
>> Each to his/her own. They are happy smiley people = what's wrong with that?? [pity
>> about the wev!]

Load of workshy layabouts.

Grumble, mutter.

You don't think I have peaked too soon with my Christmas grumpy mode, do you?
 Shortest day - Pat
>>You don't think I have peaked too soon with my Christmas grumpy mode, do you? <<

peaked??

You are consistently like it all year round Duncan.

Try harder!

Pat
 Shortest day - Dog
>>You don't think I have peaked too soon with my Christmas grumpy mode, do you?

You would have to go quite some way to beat me on that score guvnor, knowlmean.

:o}
 Shortest day - Old Navy
Anyone want to borrow four grandbrats for a week? They have voracious appetites but otherwise only need a power supply and WiFi. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 23 Dec 16 at 09:09
 Shortest day - CGNorwich
How old are they ON? Can they still speak to adults or have they become teenagers and now can only communicate by grunts and text messages?
 Shortest day - Old Navy
Teenagers, hence the appetite and connection requirements.:-)
 Shortest day - CGNorwich
WiFi is now of course a requirement from about one year old so wasn't sure.

In my experience they won't emerge from their bedrooms much, certainly not before midday so they're fairly easily managed.

As you say they are voracious though and will soon discover the location of all food sources so keep a small supply of food for your personal consumption hidden somewhere.

Any problems just pull the plug on the router. The effect is dramatic! :-)
 Shortest day - Mike Hannon
I've been at Stonehenge at dawn on Winter Solstice. It was the days of the invasions and an amazing number of 'hippies', etc were there. It was blinking cold.
The difference was that I was on overtime and expenses.
 Shortest day - John Boy
Could you have been the "man, in a peaked hat and uniform" who I referred to in the penultimate post of this topic, Mike?

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=22392
 Shortest day - Mike Hannon
>>Could you have been the "man, in a peaked hat and uniform" who I referred to in the penultimate post of this topic, Mike?<<

No! I have worked for the people in uniform but never worn one. I'm just a scribbler. And everyone knows that for decades I've worn deerstalkers and still do. Gives the French a laugh...
Last edited by: Mike Hannon on Sat 24 Dec 16 at 10:56
 Shortest day - Old Navy
>> Any problems just pull the plug on the router. The effect is dramatic! :-)
>>

I might have been a roughty toughty hairy ars*d matlot, but I am not that brave! :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 23 Dec 16 at 12:56
 Shortest day - The Melting Snowman
We usually have our grandsons to stay for at least part of the school holidays and they are due to be deposited with us on Boxing day for a week. Their ages are 15, 16 and 18 I think (near enough).

I think with teenagers you need to set clear boundaries from the start and make sure there is no inconsistency between the hosts otherwise the crafty devils will exploit them. The oldest boy largely does as he likes being 18 he is an adult, we treat him like one as long as he responds to that freedom with being responsible. My missus is old school strict and has house rules:

1. They are not allowed to go to the fridge without her permission, unless it's just for some milk for a cup of tea or coffee.

2. They must get up before 10am

3. If they go out they must tell us where they are going and if they are later than 10pm they must contact us.

4. They must change their own beds and vacuum their rooms.

5. They must leave the bathroom in the state they would expect to find it.

6. No smoking inside except in the conservatory (only the oldest sometimes has a puff)

7. No illegal substances to be on the property.

8. No drinking (unless I've been offered one)

9. No electronic gadgets at the dinner table.

10. They must clean up after themselves in the kitchen.

In the event of problems the Wi-Fi gets turned off. Although we've not had to do it, on the whole things go quite smoothly. It's odd really because when they're here it's like a hurricane through the house but we miss them when they go.

Shortest day - Roger.
>> Anyone want to borrow four grandbrats for a week? They have voracious appetites but otherwise
>> only need a power supply and WiFi. :-)
>>

We have two just like that. Thankfully, it is us visiting them!
 Shortest day - BrianByPass
Pop over to see them, Duncan.

I have heard that they are pretty liberal in their belief about "make love not war". Just watch out for the substances they inhale or imbibe.

It might help relieve your grumpy mood! You can always ask for extra until you are satisfied. ;-)
 Shortest day - Rudedog
Maybe just a psychological thing but always liked the 21st as I knew the nights were getting shorter, no matter how small it might be!
 Shortest day - not 21st Dec everywhere in UK - BrianByPass
Is December 21st really the shortest day of the year throughout the UK?

Tables of times applicable for your region here:

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/12/21/december-21st-really-shortest-day-year-throughout-uk/

The December solstice happens every year when the Sun reaches its most southerly declination of -23.5 degrees - this is the same for everyone in the world no matter where you live.

However, sunset and sunrise data from the UK Hydrographic Office show that, unlike the solstice, the shortest day of the year varies depending on where you live.
 Shortest day - not 21st Dec everywhere in UK - Cliff Pope
"In Cardiff seven different December days share the accolade of being the shortest of the year, with the first having occurred on December 17th and the last due to occur on Christmas day."

Strange, but I suppose it just highlights the wobbliness of planet movements.

Which day was the actual Solstice at Stonehenge?
 Shortest day - not 21st Dec everywhere in UK - Dog
Erm, Wednesday 21st December.
 Shortest day - not 21st Dec everywhere in UK - Rudedog
Surely there can only be one shortest day??
 Shortest day - not 21st Dec everywhere in UK - bathtub tom
>> Surely there can only be one shortest day??

Apparently not. I understand the nights get longer and the days shorter, but not at the same rate. I think I can understand it happening over a day or two, but more than that.............?

Is it an East to West thing, a bit like the railway times in the Victorian era?
 Shortest day - not 21st Dec everywhere in UK - Stuartli
If I remember correctly, the mornings tend to get lighter a bit later than expected for a short time, despite the Winter Solstice.
 Shortest day - not 21st Dec everywhere in UK - Bromptonaut
Here's a list of sunrise/sunset tines for December in your neck of the woods:

www.timeanddate.com/sun/uk/liverpool?month=12&year=2016

Sunset stabilises early on and starts to get later from sometime last week. Sunrise on the other hand is 23 minutes later at end of month than on 1st. Starts to get earlier by first week in January.

There's also a significant north/south difference, nearly half an hour more daylight in Brighton than Southport; quite a lot less in Aberdeen.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sat 24 Dec 16 at 08:57
 Shortest day - not 21st Dec everywhere in UK - Stuartli
>>.. nearly half an hour more daylight in Brighton than Southport...>>

We don't get to see the sea very much either, so it all seems a bit unfair...:-(

But of course it's different in the summer...:-)
>> >> Surely there can only be one shortest day??
>>
>

Not according to that Telegraph link. It varies across the UK from 20th to 25th, and there isn't necessarily even only one single day. Cardiff it seems has a period of 5 shortest days.

Hence my question - was the shortest day at Stonehenge actually on the 21st?
 Shortest day - not 21st Dec everywhere in UK - CGNorwich
"Hence my question - was the shortest day at Stonehenge actually on the 21st?"

Was not your question when was the Solstice at Stonehenge?

>> "Hence my question - was the shortest day at Stonehenge actually on the 21st?"
>>
>> Was not your question when was the Solstice at Stonehenge?
>>

He can't deny it. It's there in black & white "Which day was the actual Solstice at Stonehenge?".
>>
>> Was not your question when was the Solstice at Stonehenge?
>>
>>

True - sorry. I was getting muddled.

But what they seem to be saying is that the shortest day is not necessarily the day of the solstice. But was it the 21st at Stonehenge?
So there is one solstice, but up to 5 shortest days, not necessarily on the same day as the solstice, depending on location.
Last edited by: Cliff Pope on Sat 24 Dec 16 at 17:06
>> Surely there can only be one shortest day??
>>

Maybe not if you believe in Schrödinger's cat.
Last edited by: BrianByPass on Sat 24 Dec 16 at 14:58
Latest Forum Posts