Non-motoring > Rail Ticket Refund Legal Questions
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 5

Rail Ticket Refund - zippy
I had to buy a rail ticket on line (company policy) to get to London on Monday morning.

There were point failures and all trains were cancelled so I had to make alternative arrangements to get to London.

I called up for a refund and they said I needed to write a letter because if I use the "Delay / Pay" process I will only get a percentage of the ticket back.

The refund process can take 6 weeks. My company expense policy is that claims have to be submitted by 4 weeks so I can't wait around to see if they refund or play hardball.

Does anyone know if there are any consequences to doing a charge back via the credit card that I used to buy the tickets on - unlike other sales, the Railways seem to have their own laws and rule books?

Rail Ticket Refund - sooty123
Does anyone know if there are any consequences to doing a charge back via the credit card that I used to buy the tickets on - unlike other sales, the Railways seem to have their own laws and rule books?

I don't see why there would be, it's the same as if you were buying train tickets or bog roll.

Although if it were me, I'd claim the money back from your employer then if you get the money back let them know. If they don't refund you then your not down expensewise.

Or just expense the ticket and don't bother claiming the money back.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Fri 16 Dec 16 at 17:34
 Rail Ticket Refund - zippy
>>Or just expense the ticket and don't bother claiming the money back.

I wish I could do that but I have incurred other expenses in getting to London for the meeting and they won't pay both!

The expense system is stone age - it won't allow negative claims either, so I can't claim it now and then pay it back later!
 Rail Ticket Refund - sooty123
In that case claim the biggest of the two and then apply for a refund for the train tickets.
 Rail Ticket Refund - Manatee
You incurred both on the company's behalf, claim both. Then get a refund and hand the proceeds to the company. Their expenses system is their problem not yours, surely?
 Rail Ticket Refund - Mike H
>> The refund process can take 6 weeks.

If it was Southern Railways, 6 weeks is optimistic - they took three months for my last one. They were waiting for "further information" but didn't bother telling me....(IIRC it was the credit card number I'd used to book it with, but you'd have thought they would have known that from the ticket reference).
Latest Forum Posts