Non-motoring > Utility Companies Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Pat Replies: 38

Utility Companies - Pat
I've been with Eon now for over 12 years and I always compare prices when the fixed price deals are coming to an end this time of year.

Usually it would only save around £50 per year so I really don't think it's worth risking it...better the devil you know!

Yesterday I did the comparison and found that there were a lot who I could swap to with savings worth having so I plumped for Co-operative Energy saving me £280 per year and£28 back via Quidco.

Ovo was the top one at £300 but I seem to remember hearing horror stories about them.

Anyway, while I can change my mind for 14 days does anyone have any good or bad things to say about Co-op Energy please?

Pat
 Utility Companies - sooty123
Can't help with the co-op but we've been with ovo 2 years or so and not really had any problems at all. We're happy with them.
 Utility Companies - Duncan
Money Saving Expert will analyse all the contracts and tell you which is best on a regular basis.

www.moneysavingexpert.com/cheapenergyclub
Last edited by: Duncan on Tue 13 Dec 16 at 06:34
 Utility Companies - legacylad
I'm also with Ovo, have been for several years, and I transferred my Mothers energy to them. I find them excellent. Monthly emails requesting readings, via their website which is a model of clarity. At one time any credit balance received 3% interest, but unsure if that applies now.
On the few occasions I have had to speak with them directly, their Bristol based office was very efficient.
 Utility Companies - madf
I switch almost every year...Gets easier every year..

Now EON Cheap cheap gas 1.783p/therm
That makes a lot of sense if you have high energy consumption... I also shop around annually for both car and house insurance. Fortunately my energy consumption is very low, being either on holiday, in the pub, or sat in front of my Morso, and £36 pcm for gas & electric still leaves me with an annual three figure credit balance.
 Utility Companies - R.P.
My info is over a year out of date, but I did some work at the CAB around fuel debt and got sucked into all kinds of issues with utilities. Co-op was pretty awful as regards a few years ago and I had one long running issue with Ovo. Small companies are fine until something goes wrong and their back room resources are not as good as the big ones. Always food for thought when you swap.
 Utility Companies - Ambo
I go through the same process with EON as you, Pat, and also end up staying with them. I find them much improved recently as to bills and support. They do not seem to be infected buy the appalling antics of their French parent, EDF, who will bring us the new reactor Hinckley Point C - given a few decades.
 Utility Companies - Pat
I like their website ambo, and the flexibility it gives to check if their is a cheaper plan but I was shocked to see the new tariff is Eon Energy fixed V21 and it only comes out at around £30 less than their standard traffic with my usage and I think that's a bit salty!

Pat
 Utility Companies - madf
>> I like their website ambo, and the flexibility it gives to check if their is
>> a cheaper plan but I was shocked to see the new tariff is Eon Energy
>> fixed V21 and it only comes out at around £30 less than their standard traffic
>> with my usage and I think that's a bit salty!
>>
>> Pat
>>

Fuel prices are going up - a lot - with OPEC agreeing to cut output. This will also impact gas prices..- and much gas is imported and priced in US$ so expect 15% plus rises due to sterling weakness.

A price fixed now may very well look expensive now but very cheap by March 2017..
 Utility Companies - Pat
The Co-op deal is fixed for the same amount of time.

Pat
 Utility Companies - John Boy
I did 4 satisfactory years with E-ON and changed to Cooperative Energy because it looked as if it would be cheaper (barely as it turned out) and a salesman said my 2 Economy 7 electricity meter readings could be added together, so that I could be on a standard tarrif (not so, but, to my shame, it took me several months to spot that). Latterly, the Coop's software changes became rather exasperating.

After 3 years, I moved to Green Star Energy and it looks as if I will save about £300 over the first year. Both of the changes were straightforward, so I won't hesitate to do it again in the future.
 Utility Companies - Dog
Wood is the same price this year as it was last year.

Just saying.

:}
 Utility Companies - John Boy
It looks as if I wasn't the only Coop customer having problems with the software:
www.which.co.uk/reviews/energy-companies/article/small-energy-companies/co-operative-energy
 Utility Companies - Clk Sec
>> Wood is the same price this year as it was last year.
>>
>> Just saying.

Well you wood, woodn't you...
;)
 Utility Companies - Dog
I usually burn Taybrite, but since discovering wood grows on trees I've burnt nothing but wood.

Any wood wood do - as long as it was hardwood but, since burning a couple of old pallets I had - with excellent results, I'll burn sustainable softwood in future.

12° at 4:00pm in mid December so no fire again today. Wooden tit be nice to have a white Christmas this year.
 Utility Companies - Dog
Careful what you wish for: www.express.co.uk/news/weather/742699/Snow-UK-weather-forecast-coldest-winter
 Utility Companies - The Melting Snowman
Ah yes, the Express. Must be true then.
 Utility Companies - NortonES2
Express contradicts the annual Job jobbie on the same page: www.express.co.uk/news/weather/742751/Chilly-weather-ahead-no-signs-white-Christmas
 Utility Companies - Dog
www.express.co.uk/news/weather/744409/UK-weather-forecast-heavy-snow-this-weekend-2016

8-}
 Utility Companies - The Melting Snowman
>>since burning a couple of old pallets I had - with excellent results, I'll burn sustainable softwood in future.

Seeing as most pallets are treated with wood preservative and are usually pine, they are the last thing I would burn in an open fire or a wood-burner.
>> Seeing as most pallets are treated with wood preservative and are usually pine, they are
>> the last thing I would burn in an open fire or a wood-burner.
>>

We used to chuck any and everything on ours.
 Utility Companies - Falkirk Bairn
When I was a boy, in the 50s, we had a stove in the kitchen which burned everything - paper, wood, coal, old shoes, food remnants, packaging etc etc - the bin at the end of the week was 100% ashes - none of this recycling Blue Bins, Green bins etc etc
Old shoes, I'll admit that a new one on me.
Timberlands?
 Utility Companies - Dog
Clogs.
 Utility Companies - Dog
I'm not in the habit of burning pallets, tis just that I had a couple to get rid of. Didn't know they were treated *though, although my wood burner / multi-fuel stove is well sealed so any noxious fumes flew up the flue.

*I initially left the first h out of though, so it read tuff, stick an h in it and it reads tho, crazy language!
 Utility Companies - madf
>> Seeing as most pallets are treated with wood preservative and are usually pine, they are
>> the last thing I would burn in an open fire or a wood-burner.

I used to make beehives out of pallet wood. A large number of "one trip" pallets are untreated and suitable for beehives - and burning. Usually soft wood and not large pallets..
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 14 Dec 16 at 12:53
 Utility Companies - Clk Sec
>>Ovo was the top one at £300 but I seem to remember hearing horror stories about them.

We've just reluctantly moved from Ovo as their current prices are no longer competitive for our usage, but in the years we've been with them we've been more than satisfied with their level of customer service.
 Utility Companies - smokie
That reminds me - I must find out where they paid the "bounty" for me switching using the Moneysavingexpert tool. I don't even rememebr them saying there was one, but they sent me a notification saying it had been paid...
 Utility Companies - bathtub tom
I was with Co-op for a while and had problems with them. I found an email to their CEO usually sorted it.
 Utility Companies - smokie
Was that the coked-up bloke they had to let go?
 Utility Companies - mikeyb
>> That reminds me - I must find out where they paid the "bounty" for me
>> switching using the Moneysavingexpert tool. I don't even rememebr them saying there was one, but
>> they sent me a notification saying it had been paid...

I got a kick back through them - forgot about it and then it just appeared in my bank account.

I've tended to switch supplier every year to whoever is offering the best deal at the time. Also worth checking quidco as there is sometimes a decent cashback rate, although last time round was through moneysavingexpert as the collective deal was the cheapest available
I used to do the topcashback thing but the amounts got smaller and on less things plus you had to pester them to get them. Gave up on them in the end.
I used top cashback a few times but found stuff not tracking etc so only use quidco now- had a few items not track, but when a claim is raised it usually sorts itself out.

They pay out in Amazon vouchers now so I usually opt for this so it feels more like free stuff!
Cheers i might switch and see if it's worth it.
sooty - bit cheeky of me, but I have a referral link so if you decide to give quidco a go follow this and we get a tenner each

www.quidco.com/user/107026/2340569/
I would, but my brother beat you to the punch.
>> I would, but my brother beat you to the punch.
>>

Haha, keep it in the family!
Latest Forum Posts