Non-motoring > Apples. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Roger. Replies: 32

Apples. - Roger.
A non-contentious subject :-)

What are your favourite eating apples?

Normally I avoid French apples like the plague, but in the shops (certainly Aldi) are the most delicious apples of the Jazz variety - origin France!
I usually go for Pink Lady, but when they get stupidly expensive, I find Cripp' Pink are a very god substitute.
The British Cox apple I have fund to be generally disappointing in recent years.
Granny Smith's seem to have tougher skins than I remember - the French ones are horrid, but with them, as with so many other varieties, South Africa rules supreme, in my opinion.
 Apples. - Dog
>>I find Cripp' Pink are a very god substitute.

Allah be praised.!

I only eat organic apples. Today's offering are Gala grown in Italy - sweet, juicy and crunchy.

My two dogs like apples, in fact they go absolutely bananas about them.
 Apples. - sooty123
We usually get cox apples, that and carrier bags full from a mini orchard nearby that usually all go to waste.
 Apples. - CGNorwich
Actually Jazz in not an apple variety, it is a registered trade mark for Cripps Pink apples that meet certain standards regariding size etc. The rejects are marketed under the variety name i.e Cripps Pink.

My favourite eatin apple is the Russet or to give it its full name the Egremont Russet. No othe rapple tastes quite like it. You will probably have to seek out a greengrocer or market stall to find them although Waitrose does stock them.

Apples. - Ted

I rarely eat apples...me teeth aren't very keen on them. I get my 'five a day ' in liquidized red grapes.
 Apples. - Ambo
I liked Doctor Harvey apples as a child but have seen one in decades. Practically all Waitrose apples are sold unripe and hard and our greengrocer mostly only stocks Golden Delicious (they aren't) and Gala.
 Apples. - Clk Sec
We've been buying Pink Lady apples for a few years now and they are consistently good. A bit pricey perhaps, but worth the extra few pence.
 Apples. - Armel Coussine
I like russet apples which have a distinctive taste. We have a tree here which produces lots. The skin of russet apples is quite tough.

Like others here I have no teeth and can't eat apples normally, like a nipper. They're quite easy to cut up though... that makes them easy to eat.
 Apples. - Crankcase
Kanzi only every time for me, and Granny Smith only for her. Madam won't touch a red apple, no matter how nice it might purportedly be. I think she has some of Snow White's genes.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Sat 10 Dec 16 at 15:34
 Apples. - smokie
I like Braeburns.
 Apples. - Rudedog
Jazz are my favourite, I probably eat two a day, although Jazz is a trademark it is classed as a variety being a created in New Zealand as a cross between a Royal Gala and a Braeburn.
 Apples. - The Melting Snowman
Usually cox, but anything grown in the UK when in season. We don't buy foreign.
 Apples. - Cliff Pope
In the garden we have Worcester, Cox's Orange, Blenheim Orange, Lord Lambourn, Greensleeves, and some others I can't remember without consulting the plan in the apple store. And Ashmead's Kernel - unusual flavour, likes being left on the tree until after the hard frosts, and keeps for months into next year.

I built a proper store for them this year, with slatted racks to take shallow trays, so that air can circulate, and one can inspect regularly and pick out any that are going rotten before they infect the good ones.

They are all nice in different ways. Usually when refilling the fruit bowl I bring in a selection for contrast.
 Apples. - Dog
We had a few apple trees some 3 properties ago. The apples were red, and even some of the flesh was red too.

I don't know what variety there were, but they were the nicest apple I've ever tasted.

The trees were quite old and oftentimes I would go out to pick them, only to find some God-damn burglar had jumped over the hedge and filched them.
 Apples. - CGNorwich
I often walk a footpath along a disused railway line and there are numerous apple tree along the way, a distant echo of those discarded apple cores discarded through the carriage windows over 50 years ago.
 Apples. - henry k
Our old / ancient apple tree recently died. We miss it's Worcester type fruit.
It may have been 80+ years old and was growing when the house was built in the 1930s.
It was a few inches from the boundary and I do not believe anyone choose that location.
A few years ago I delivered fruit and foliage in person to Brogdale with details including " It is an eater"
For my £15 It was identified as a cooker. So much for the experts!

We now have new tree in a pot. We get a few good apples but not until December.
I have to put jam jars around each apple to stop the squirrels running off with them or else the dreaded parakeets destroying them.
 Apples. - martin aston
There was a documentary on recently and if I understood it properly then, if your mystery apple tree was a seedling rather than a graft, it would be unique. Apples from pips are apparently not true to the parent.

Apples. - CGNorwich
Yes, likely grown from a discarded apple core like my railway trees. Fruit trees are usually grafted onto a rootstock to preserve the characteristics. New varieties are carefully cross bred. Varieties with " Pippin" in the name, like Cox's Orange Pippin indicate that it was an accidental discovery.
 Apples. - Cliff Pope
>> Fruit trees are
>> usually grafted onto a rootstock to preserve the characteristics.
>>

Yes, it's the grafted-on bit that is the real variety, because genetically a cutting is the same tree as the one it was cut from. The rootstock determines the potential size of the tree, rated I think with "M" numbers. The most vigorous grows into a large tree, can be over 30 feet high, then there are smaller ones down to a few feet only.

I think a pip-grown tree can be anything, depending on its ancestry. As it won't be grafted onto a dwarfing rootstock, it could presumably grow to any size.

Apples. - Mapmaker
>>New varieties are carefully cross bred.

Errrr.... if you take a paint brush and transfer the pollen from one tree onto the stigma of a flower of the other tree, you will get an apple with, say twelve pips. Each pip will produce a different offspring.

It may well be careful, but that doesn't mean that you aren't mostly subject to chance.
 Apples. - Clk Sec
>> The skin of russet apples is quite tough.

I bought a couple yesterday, having not eaten a Russet in years. A very pulpy texture and skin just as tough as I remember. I managed to polish mine off, but Mrs CS ditched half of hers.

I think we'll stick with Pin Lady, despite them being nearly twice the price.
 Apples. - PeterS
>> Actually Jazz in not an apple variety, it is a registered trade mark for Cripps
>> Pink apples that meet certain standards regariding size etc. The rejects are marketed under the
>> variety name i.e Cripps Pink.

Close, except that Pink Lady is the trademarked name for apples of the Cripps Pink variety that reach the tight spec (size, colour etc) to carry the Pink Lady. Jazz is a registered trademark, but of a variety that's a cross between a braeburn and something else...can't remember what but possibly a gala?
 Apples. - CGNorwich
Thanks for correcting my slip.

Jazz is the registered trademark for the Scifresh variety which is indeed a cross between Braeburn and Royal Gala..

Neither Pink Lady or Jazz are my favourites. The breeders have gone for sweetness at the expense of acidity which gives something like Cox a better balance. A bit like wines really.
 Apples. - Pat
The best, and only, apples are very sour ones scrumped from someone's orchard before St Swithens Day.

I love them....likewise raw rhubarb!

Pat
 Apples. - VxFan
Looks like I'm the only one who enjoys eating Golden Delicious apples then.
 Apples. - Roger.
Jaapi Golden Delicious are OK. Froggy ones are not.
Ditto Granny Smith's.
Last edited by: Roger. on Sun 11 Dec 16 at 21:47
 Apples. - sooty123
>> Jaapi Golden Delicious are OK.

www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Jaapie

never heard that one before, every day is a school day as they say.
 Apples. - VxFan
>> Jaapi Golden Delicious are OK. Froggy ones are not.

Well I like the Froggy ones.
 Apples. - John Boy
When we were kids, my sister liked to eat cooking apples. She ate them with her mouth open just to annoy me!
 Apples. - Mapmaker
I like James Grieve, though haven't had one for years. We had a tree when I was a child. They're an early apple, bursting with flavour and acidity, but they don't keep and bruise easily, so you won't find them for sale.

Otherwise: Egremont Russets are my top favourite, and I was delighted to find them in Waitrose last week; they haven't had them for a couple of years - I think the crops had "failed" (to look beautiful enough?).

I sometimes like Pink Lady, but they're generally too sweet to be satisfying.

Braeburns are a favourite for their crispness and acidity.

And I love Cox's.
 Apples. - busbee
Pink Lady. I've tried others but I come back to them. Years ago there was an apple called Coxes Orange Pippin that was my favourite -- well before pink lady in the UK. The UK farmers preferred Cox. Not any where near as good a flavour. Perhaps it crops better.

I do eat Russets when they are about. Tesco have had them in this last 3 years or so, where I am.

To me, Golden Delicious are juicy but lack in flavour.

Braybern I do not rate at all.

Somewhere in the South East there is a place where there are 100's of different varieties, just one or two trees of each variety. They are/were trying keep as many old varieties alive as they can before they get lost. Been round the place. Can't remember where it is.
 Apples. - henry k
>>Somewhere in the South East there is a place where there are 100's of different varieties,
>> just one or two trees of each variety.
>> They are/were trying keep as many old varieties alive as they can before they get lost.
>> Been round the place. Can't remember where it is.

Brogdale ?
www.brogdale.org/index.php

The place I used to identify my eating apple !
Approx £15 for them to tell me it was a cooker. DOH!!!
 Apples. - sooty123
> I do eat Russets when they are about. Tesco have had them in this last
>> 3 years or so, where I am.
>>

just tried a russet they taste a little like a pear, to me anyway.
Latest Forum Posts