Non-motoring > Food reduction and taste differences - Vol 2
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 92

Food reduction and taste differences - Vol 2 - VxFan
Discussion of food size reduction vs same price, and taste difference between current and earlier products.

Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 11 Nov 16 at 10:08
 Daim Bars - VxFan
Kraft are at it again by reducing content, but keeping the pricing the same.

Daim bars until recently were sold in packs of 4 in 99p stores, Poundland and the like (or £1.69 in Tesco)

I see the pack size has now been reduced to 3 bars.
 Daim Bars - Crankcase
I never worked out why they changed their name from the somewhat strange but at least comprehensible "Dime Bar" to the incomprehensible "Daim Bar".

Just another "make it match across Europe to save us money" move, like Marathon, Oil of Ulay, and Jif, and probably dozens more?

Still I'll be worrying about what happened to tinned snoek next.
 Daim Bars - CGNorwich
I never worked out why they changed their name from the somewhat strange but at least comprehensible "Dime Bar" to the incomprehensible "Daim Bar".

The original was Dajm Bar. It was a Swedish product. The name was changed to Dime Bar in the UK when the company was bought by Kraft Foods and standardised to Daim across Europe inn 2005

from Wiki

Never had one in my life though nor most of the other products mentioned in this thread. Can remember Penguin bars from my childhood so they have been around a while..

Mystified by Oil of Ulay until I looked it up
 Daim Bars - Zero

>> Never had one in my life though nor most of the other products mentioned in
>> this thread. Can remember Penguin bars from my childhood so they have been around a
>> while..

Ever had a Plopp?

www.scandinavianstuff.com/en/swedish-sweets-candy/plopp-caramel-chocolate
 Daim Bars - CGNorwich
Best to wash it down with a cup of this.

www.najlekaren.eu/akutne-stavy/748-urinal-drink-12-vreciek.html
 Daim Bars - Roger.

>> Ever had a Plopp?

Most mornings!
 Daim Bars - VxFan
>> Can remember Penguin bars from my childhood so they have been around a while..

I only used to like the blue wrapped ones despite people telling me they all tasted the same.
 Daim Bars - sooty123

>> Never had one in my life though nor most of the other products mentioned in
>> this thread. Can remember Penguin bars from my childhood so they have been around a
>> while..
>>
>> Mystified by Oil of Ulay until I looked it up
>>

You've never had a Snickers or Marathon bar ever? Never even seen a billboard/TV/radio/magazine advert for oil of ulay/olay?
 Daim Bars - CGNorwich
To my best recollection I have never had either a Snickers bar or a Marathon Bar. Never buy confectionary apart from the odd bar of plain chocolate. As to oil of Ulay never heard of it. Not much interested in cosmetics. The Name is curious though. Is Ulay a place or the inventor of the product?

Daim Bars - sooty123
Try one there're pretty good.
Neither i am i, still very well advertised across many media forms. If you've watched commercial tv in the last few years you'll have seen an advert for it. No idea I'm sure it's searchable online.
 Daim Bars - CGNorwich
I have indeed now researched Oil of Ulay and it restorative properties. Will give the chocolate. bars a miss. Find that sort of stuff far too sweet and sickly for my taste. Always have done. Like cakes though.
 Daim Bars - sooty123
. Will give the
>> chocolate. bars a miss. Find that sort of stuff far too sweet and sickly for
>> my taste. Always have done. Like cakes though.
>>

Even as a child you didn't like chocolate bars etc?
 Daim Bars - CGNorwich
Didn't have a lot in the way of chocolate bars as a child. The occasional Flake or Crunchy Bar. Mainly had loose sweets like pear drops and pineapple chunks - that sort of thing. Guess I never acquired the habit of eating the stuff. I am slightly amazed by the volume of confectionary sold in places like petrol stations. Just doesn't appeal to me.
 Daim Bars - Roger.
I am gabberflasted by the sheer volume of shelf space in supermarkets given over to crisps and similar salty and fat laden snacks.
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy an occasional bag of plain salted crisps, but judging by aforesaid retail space, it seems that crisps, et al, are a major item of diet for many.
They are eye-wateringly expensive, too and the packs,like the choccie bars, are much smaller these days.
 Daim Bars - sooty123

>> They are eye-wateringly expensive, too and the packs,like the choccie bars, are much smaller these
>> days.
>>
Eye wateringly expensive? I thought you shopped at lidl?
 Daim Bars - Roger.
>> Eye wateringly expensive? I thought you shopped at lidl?

Observation, dear chap!

ALDI actually for about 95% of our needs, Sainsbury's for most of the rest.

LIDL toilet paper , jams & marmalades are better than ALDI's and if in, or around Sheffield , returning from Meadowhell, we pop into a Lidl for those items.
Last edited by: Roger. on Sat 6 Jun 15 at 08:40
 Daim Bars - sooty123
I always get then mixed up. So aldi is the one with the expensive crisps?
 Daim Bars - Dog
I knew a man who used oil of ulay on his boat .. a man ffs !
I, I mean he, stopped using it about 30 years ago. He doesn't put anything on his face nowadays,
apart from his makeup.
 Daim Bars - Pat
Beware of buying McCoys crisps in cheapo stores (B&M/Poundland). The packs look just the same as from Tesco/Sainsbury but only have 5 packets in them instead of 6 packets, that's why their regular price is £1 and Tesco is £1 when they are on offer.

While I'm at it, what's happened to the size of a regular Aero? Different shape, less weight, same price.

Pat
 Daim Bars - Slidingpillar
It has been sweet industry practise for years to reduce the size of bars while keeping the price steady as a bit of secret inflation. They then charge more for the new big bar when they return to the original size. Mars were doing it in the 60s, but I'd think the practice started much earlier.
 Penguin Bars - henry k
Chocolate penguins bars have shrunk but the nine pack wrapper has not so it is all to obvious when the bars are at one end and there is a flat bit of packet at the other end.
Last week I got a pack with only seven bars it it :-((
A quick call to the makers and a voucher arrived.
I assume some sort of glitch in the factory.
Last edited by: henry k on Fri 5 Jun 15 at 15:17
 Penguin Bars - Bobby
I remember watching that Pound shops documentary and they now have so much buying power that the manufacturers produce unique packaged products for them.
So whether it be the McCoys or chocolate bars or deodorants, have a close look at sizes and weights compared to what you will see elsewhere.
The tell tale sign will be the 3 finger KitKats......
 Werther's - bathtub tom
As this thread has got onto a general sweet tooth subject.

Who else will admit to having a bag of Werther's in the car?
 Werther's - Pat
Not Werthers but Sherbet Lemons.

The old type you have to suck until the sherbet falls out of the middle and still available from Bettons Farm shop in Scarborough!

Pat
 Werther's - Duncan
>> Not Werthers but Sherbet Lemons.

Not Werthers or Sherbert Lemons, but Jakemans cough sweets. The y will keep you going for quite a while.

Unless you crunch them of course!
 Werther's - Pat
Jakemans are made close to us and we have the contract to deliver them Duncan.

We also get freebies when we go to load up:)

Pat
 Werther's - Duncan
>> Jakemans are made close to us and we have the contract to deliver them Duncan.
>>
>> We also get freebies when we go to load up:)
>>
>> Pat
>>

You know Pat, that I have always been an admirer of yours Pat. Any chance Pat, that you could row me in on the freebies, eh Pat?

What do you think, Pat?
 Werther's - Pat
You should know that flattery will get you nowhere with me!

Pat
 Werther's - NortonES2
I remember going to the factory in Nelson that made Victory V lozenges. Apparently the original recipe included ether as well as chloroform, but it had been toned down! Primarily for health of the employees. Another rather foul confection made in Lancashire is Fishermans Friend. Must be some sort of penance due to the RC concentration there.
 Werther's - sooty123
Another rather foul confection made in Lancashire is Fishermans Friend.
>> Must be some sort of penance due to the RC concentration there.
>>
that's something I've never tried, neither fish nor foul i always think.
 Werther's - Pat
Incidentally, our first Christmas load went out yesterday....26 pallets of Advent Calenders.

Pat
 Werther's - Zero
>> Incidentally, our first Christmas load went out yesterday....26 pallets of Advent Calenders.
>>
>> Pat

I remember a story some time ago where a manufacturer shipped a load out, but due to a manufacturing error there was nothing behind any of the doors....Imagine the disappointment on Dec 1, then the increasing rage through 2nd onwards...

Nearly as bad as the unsold load of easter eggs in the staff shop at the mars factory in Slough. Unsold because they all had Arabic script and packaging.........
 Werther's - Crankcase

>> I remember a story some time ago where a manufacturer shipped a load out, but
>> due to a manufacturing error there was nothing behind any of the doors....Imagine the disappointment
>> on Dec 1, then the increasing rage through 2nd onwards...
>>

I like that. They should have sold them as the nihilist rationalist existentialist Sartre-Dawkins calendar. Sponsored by Eeyore.

Thorntons - VxFan
Looks like Thorntons is going to be bought out by Italian chocolate maker Ferrero.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-33221033
 Thorntons - Roger.
Thornton's will end up with some awful adverts!
 Thorntons - CGNorwich
But some decent management. The management of Thornton's has been absolutely shocking ove the past ten years going from bad to worse. The Italian company by contrast has gone from strength to strength. Shame it has taken an Italian company to see the true worth of the brand.
 Thorntons - sooty123
>> But some decent management. The management of Thornton's has been absolutely shocking ove the past
>> ten years going from bad to worse.

What has happened to them? Are profits down?
 Thorntons - CGNorwich
They've been on the slide for years. They over expanded opening stores everywhere then had to dispose of them at a loss. They moved into supermarket and screwed up their distribution and then fell out badly with Tesco.

Last edited by: CGNorwich on Tue 23 Jun 15 at 21:35
 Thorntons - Zero
>> They've been on the slide for years. They over expanded opening stores everywhere then had
>> to dispose of them at a loss. They moved into supermarket and screwed up their
>> distribution and then fell out badly with Tesco.

Did some work for them, when I was working that is. Everything is true terrible management, muddled planning, nearly gone bust several times. Good brand tho, so thats what FR bought -
 Thorntons - The Melting Snowman
Never been into these posh chocolates, a nice bar of Milka does me.
 Thorntons - Zero
>> Never been into these posh chocolates, a nice bar of Milka does me.

No surely not, its foreign muck.
 Thorntons - Londoner
Some foreign chocolate is great though.

I used to like Lindt when it was made in Zurich.

The last few bars that I've eaten say "Made in France" on the packaging, and don't taste the same - too greasy.
 Thorntons - PeterS
>> Never been into these posh chocolates, a nice bar of Milka does me.
>>

I'm not sure Thorntons qualifies as 'posh', at least not any more... Though I do remember buying their 'Alpini' chocolates as 14/15 year old (in the mid eighties!) by the quarter. To treat myself. On a weekly basis ;) I knew I was different :p
 Thorntons - Focusless
Well I've just finished the first of 2 360g bars of fathers day Dairy Milk. Not posh, and the taste might be dodgy, but it sure hits the spot :)
 Fruit and nut - Crankcase
Holy thread revival, Batman!

www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/life/food-drink/cadbury-changes-fruit-nut-recipe-to-contain-sultanas-upsetting-chocoholics-34169511.html
 Fruit and nut - DP
I'll tell you what has changed; Mini Rolls!

Had one this evening for the first time in about 5 years. Inedible. Half of it went in the bin.

If they go on to ruin Whole Nut, that will be my relationship with Cadbury's over in its entirety
 Terry's for sale - Crankcase
The saga continues. Terry's Chocolate Orange anyone?

uk.reuters.com/article/2015/12/01/uk-mondelez-intl-divestiture-idUKKBN0TK49E20151201

Terry's for sale - Haywain
"Terry's Chocolate Orange anyone?"

I have no doubts that chocolate oranges don't taste nearly as good as they used to do.
Thanks Haywain:)

Now the thread has gone full circle perhaps it ought to be deleted, otherwise some of us will be repeating ourselves over and over. Again and again.

Mind you, I don't reckon that Dairy Milk is as good as it used to be since they put those immigrant winter tyres on it.
 Terry's for sale - Pat
Chocolate Orange never tasted any good. Whoever decided to put orange in chocolate, invented Jaffa Cakes or made an orange sauce to pour over a delicious duck, wants shooting.

Oranges should come with the peel on or in a carton, freshly squeezed.

Pat
 Terry's for sale - Alanovich
Blimey. Something for us to agree on there, Pat. Well, for savoury foods. I've no objection to some sweet stuff being orange flavoured, such as the gingercake I made this weekend with orange icing - made from freshly hand-squeezed orange juice. Bit of grated zest on the top. Luvverly.
 Terry's for sale - commerdriver
OK I reckon I must be a bit of a Phillistine in the chocolate stakes compared to the educated palates in this place.
I like chocolate oranges and I like the current taste of Dairy Milk, yes it has changed but I still like it.
I still prefer Swiss chocolate to either, but they are fine for day to day naughtiness :-)
Last edited by: commerdriver on Tue 1 Dec 15 at 15:38
 Terry's for sale - Zero
>> OK I reckon I must be a bit of a Phillistine in the chocolate stakes
>> compared to the educated palates in this place.

Lol hardly, you are referring to someone with web feet and someone who thinks Reading is the culinary capital of the world.

>> I like the current taste of Dairy Milk, yes it
>> has changed but I still like it.

Oh dear I apologise to the two I just insulted. You are a philistine.
 Terry's for sale - NortonES2
Ditto re Fry's oranges, but only for special occcasions. Too big. However as regards oranges and their packaging, I quite like curaçao. I remember a being read a passage in Eng. Lit. re drinking curaçao from a tin mug, forced by straitened circumstances in south america. Somewhat mystified, never having heard of curaçao, but our headmaster seemed to think it amusing… Can't remember the author, if there is one!
 Terry's for sale - CGNorwich
Wot! - you don't like Duck a l’orange! Surely a classic although morello cherry sauce is good too

Orange can be good with fish dishes too in place of the more usual lemon.

Pork tenderloin with blood oranges is nice too.

And surely you like marmalade.

And marmalade sponge pudding.
 Terry's for sale - Dog
Naranjas are hi in vital min C.

Just saying :)
As a fruit I tend to eat the satsumas and clementines etc as they are less messy to peel
 Terry's for sale - Clk Sec
Clems here, not so keen on satsumas. I also like chocolate orange and I've been putting one in the wife's Christmas stocking every year since I've known her. She's not keen, so it's an extra treat for me.
 Terry's for sale - Manatee
>> Clems here, not so keen on satsumas. I also like chocolate orange and I've been
>> putting one in the wife's Christmas stocking every year since I've known her. She's not
>> keen, so it's an extra treat for me.

Christmas tip of the year, applicability need not be restricted to chocolate oranges.
 Terry's for sale - Zero

>> Christmas tip of the year, applicability need not be restricted to chocolate oranges.

Even more christmas tip of the year, dont be to obvious about it.
 Terry's for sale - Pat
>>And surely you like marmalade<<

No, I haven't eaten marmalade since I was 5 years old and my big brother came home on leave from the RAF and told me the rind in it was worms.

He was my hero too.

Pat
Last edited by: Pat on Tue 1 Dec 15 at 17:05
Blimey. You decided at the age of five you didn't like marmalade and you never though to try it again?

Live dangerously and by a pot tomorrow. You never know your tastes just might have moved one in all those years.

Terry's for sale - Zero

>> Live dangerously and by a pot tomorrow. You never know your tastes just might have
>> moved one in all those years.

And the worms have moved around a bit too, you might get a tasty one next time.
 Terry's for sale - Pat
No, it's still got worms in it:)

Pat
 Terry's for sale - Roger.
>> No, it's still got worms in it:)
>>
>> Pat
>>

Nah, the thick cut sort has railway lines in it!

PS. Marmalade on good quality vanilla ice cream is nice - oops, forgot - marmalade on fried bread is luvverly.
Last edited by: Roger. on Tue 1 Dec 15 at 18:15
 Terry's for sale - Armel Coussine
>> PS. Marmalade on good quality vanilla ice cream is nice - oops, forgot - marmalade on fried bread is luvverly.

White bread, toasted, smear of butter, very thick layer of Frank Cooper's Oxford Marmalade... had two slices for breakfast this morning. Lots of nice worms in that.
 Terry's for sale - Dog
St. Dalfour rhapsodie de fruit mirabelle plum with no added sugar is quite nice don't cha know.
 Terry's for sale - VxFan
>> Chocolate Orange never tasted any good.

The popping candy choccy orange is nice, but only usually seen at this time of year for some reason.

The white choccy orange is equally nice, but haven't seen any this year yet.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 1 Dec 15 at 21:40
 Terry's for sale - No FM2R
I love orange flavour chocolate - although a whole chocolate orange is too much in one go. But now you've mentioned white chocolate;

I used to adore that stuff and eat a load of it. These days it seems to have a sort of "greasy" taste and I really don't enjoy it.
 Terry's for sale - Ted

I don't like the chocolate orange segments...........but the ' core ' bit in the middle..............Yumsville !

Marmalade in cold rice pud as well.............dubbleyum !
 Terry's for sale - MD
Lidl's for chocolate. Wonderful choice and cheap too. Real choc, not the Cadbury carp. They do a simple milk choc bar rammed with Hazlenuts for 49 pence I think.
Agree: Mars bars imitations at Lidl are very good.
Aldi's Moser-Roth & Choceur are good, too - the fruit & nut choccie bar is much superior to the Cadbury version.

Last edited by: Roger. on Wed 2 Dec 15 at 11:19
 Terry's for sale - Dog
>>Lidl's for chocolate. Wonderful choice and cheap too

Fool of azucar too no doubt.
>> >>Lidl's for chocolate. Wonderful choice and cheap too
>>
>> Fool of azucar too no doubt.
>>
¡Me gustaria azucar!
 Terry's for sale - Dog
>>¡Me gustaria azucar!

I was thinking you were diabetic, Dodge.
 Terry's for sale - Stuartli
>> Lidl's for chocolate. Wonderful choice and cheap too. Real choc, not the Cadbury carp. They do a simple milk choc bar rammed with Hazlenuts for 49 pence I think.>>

Lidl's Dark Chocolate, produced by J D Cross, is £1.19 a bar and as good as anything out there, if not better.
 Terry's for sale - Clk Sec
>> Lidl's Dark Chocolate, produced by J D Cross, is £1.19 a bar and as good
>> as anything out there, if not better.
>>

We don't have a Lidl anywhere near, but Tesco sell 74% cocoa Ivory Coast plain chocolate 100g for £1.00.

Ah, Ivory Coast.

Here's a little 5 minute video about Ivory Coast chocolate, and how the growers there had no idea what chocolate was. Not sure if that's exploitation as such, but I reckon someone could have chucked them a bar before now.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEN4hcZutO0

Terry's for sale - VxFan
I knew someone who used to like eating cooking chocolate.

Tried some once = disgusting.
 Terry's for sale - Lygonos
£96.5m in profits and zero corporation tax paid.

Makes that crappy bar taste even crappier :-)

www.theguardian.com/business/2015/dec/06/cadburys-owner-paid-no-uk-tax-last-year
 And now Toblerone - VxFan
A decision to space out the distinctive triangular chocolate chunks in two Toblerone bars sold in the UK has upset fans who say that they do mind the gap.

The move has resulted in the weight of the 400g bars being reduced to 360g and the 170g bars to 150g, while the size of the packaging has remained the same.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37904703

Jaffa Cake reduction - VxFan
Fans 'outraged' as Jaffa Cakes boxes are cut from 12 to 10 in a pack

news.sky.com/story/jaffa-cakes-boxes-shrink-this-is-an-outrage-11054263
 Freddo - Manatee
Further to the recent story that Corbyn is looking into profiteering by Mondelez on 'Cadburys' Freddo which has gone up from 10p to 30p since 2005 -

www.vouchercloud.com/resources/the-freddo-index

- the kids are revolting.

Possibly reckless to extrapolate from the sales in the community shop I volunteer in, but the schoolchildren who come into the shop for sweets have switched their allegiance to Kinder chocolate at 25p for 21g, from Freddo which is now 30p for 18g.

I think the Kinder bars are nicer too.
 Freddo - No FM2R
I thought we wanted the price of sweets to go up?

I haven't seen the story about Corbyn looking into this, but imagine my relief now knowing that he has determined that there is nothing more serious which requires his time.
 Freddo - Duncan
>> I think the Kinder bars are nicer too.
>>

Yuk!
 Freddo - commerdriver
>> >> I think the Kinder bars are nicer too.
>> >>
>>
>> Yuk!
>>
Nothing beats a Tunnocks Wafer
 Freddo - bathtub tom
>>Nothing beats a Tunnocks Wafer

ALDI do a fair imitation.
 Kit Kat - devonite
The new Kit Kat advert on TV states "now with more Milk and Cocoa" - This is totally misleading as there is no extra chocolate on the wafers! - all they are actually doing is making bigger batches of the stuff!!
 Kit Kat - CGNorwich
Just not true I'm afraid. They have replaced some of the sugar with more milk and cocoa.
www.nestle.co.uk/media/pressreleases/kitkataddsextra
 Kit Kat - devonite
Still mis-leading as they are trying to make you think you are getting a bit more by using the word "Extra", all they are really doing is making an un-sweetend or slimmers version, and cutting costs by saving buying a 1000 tonnes of sugar.
 Kit Kat - Dog
Talking about ads ... Vauxhall Corsa ad on the wireless sez "Vauxhall - a British brand since 1903"

Troo but, Vauxhall is now Frog-owned, and the Corsa is built in Merkel land, or Espania.
Latest Forum Posts