Non-motoring > Replacing oven part Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 12

Replacing oven part - legacylad
The heating element on my fan oven ( Britannia 100cm dual fuel twin) went kaput several months ago and I bought a cheapo £10 replacement off EBay. According to the invoice description it should be the correct part, but whenever I turn it on the fuse trips.
As I have been using the other oven for the past 18 months ( I don't cook much!) should I spend £50 on a 'proper' part, although Britannia want £93.40.
Britannia supplied me with a product code, and googling that reference throws up cheaper prices from other suppliers.
Could there be an underlying reason why the fuse trips on the new replacement part, or is it probably not fit for purpose and thrown away?
Thanks for any advice
 Replacing oven part - Pat
From a practical female point of view:)

It would suggest to me that there was another original fault that caused the heating element to go in the first place.

Pat
 Replacing oven part - Cliff Pope

>>
>> It would suggest to me that there was another original fault that caused the heating
>> element to go in the first place.

I'd try connecting the element directly to a simple supply through an ordinary fused plug and see whether it works on its own. If it does, the fault is elsewhere. If it doesn't, send it back.
 Replacing oven part - CGNorwich
DIY electrical repairs if you don't know what you are doing are not the best idea.

Call a qualified repairer.
 Replacing oven part - Old Navy
When one of our ovens died (on Christmas morning of course) I got a replacement from a local domestic appliance spares and repair shop when it opened. I am sure the guy was reaching for the correct spare as I walked across the shop. Much less hassle than the interwebby thing when you can take the duff element in a ask for "one of these please". Most appliances are basic Meccano, to someone who remembers what real Meccano was.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 25 Oct 16 at 16:38
 Replacing oven part - Ted

When ours went I ordered one off Amazon. I was surprised to see how easy it was to replace. The element was attached with two self-tappers. It just pulled out revealing two spade connectors for the power. There was enough slack in the cables to get at the connectors. Power off of course. 10 minute job.
Previous cooker was..cooker out, back removed and element fitted with nuts and washers.

Check one of the spades isn't shorting on the cooker body.
 Replacing oven part - sooty123
I never bother buying the no name parts off eBay. Buy cheap buy twice.
 Replacing oven part - MD
>> I never bother buying the no name parts off eBay. Buy cheap buy twice.
>>
Vauxhall?
 Replacing oven part - sooty123
No, never owned or bought parts for a vauxhall.
 Replacing oven part - The Melting Snowman
>> Most appliances are basic Meccano, to someone who remembers what real Meccano was.

I certainly do, still got our various boxes of proper Liverpool-made Meccano in the loft. Far better quality than the foreign stuff that came out once the UK factory closed.
 Replacing oven part - Dulwich Estate II
"the foreign stuff that came out once the UK factory closed. "

Now made in Calais - France.
 Replacing oven part - Dog
This is a company I've had good results from in the past:

www.espares.co.uk/search/ma2333pt1595/cookers-and-hobs/elements/britannia
 Replacing oven part - legacylad
Many thanks for your replies.. Most helpful. As Ted says, fitting the replacement part was easy peasy. I only paid £7.80 + p/p for the part off an EBay company so maybe that's a lot to do with it! Too late to return it, and I cba either...bought it in April '15 before I spent most of the following 9 months overseas, and as the other oven works, and I wasn't inconvenienced, it wasn't on a list of things to do. Until now.
I'll probably just buy a 'proper' replacement part after getting my electrician pal to test the cheapo spare.
I think it was just normal wear & tear... The oven is ten years old.
Last edited by: legacylad on Wed 26 Oct 16 at 13:39
Latest Forum Posts