Non-motoring > Boiler. PCB repairs Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 14

Boiler. PCB repairs - henry k
Just to endorse a previous item
www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=21556&m=476445

A local boiler guy came yesterday mid afternoon to "repair " my dead C/H boiler.
He decided the PCB had failed so he called Control Engineering Technology.
He identified to them what was required and handed me his phone.
" If you pay directly then you know you are not being ripped off. I have used them extensively!"
Very helpful friendly lady did the paperwork and the PCB arrived before 1300 today.

Such service makes me feel good today.:-)

Boiler. PCB repairs - legacylad
I used CET for a replacement PCB in late 2014. Reconditioned. Cost me £57.60 plus £4.30 to return the old one
And a couple of shysters told me I needed a new boiler...people in the pub put me right, and I did my own research. There's a lot to be said for drinking beer locally!!
>>And a couple of shysters told me I needed a new boiler...
>>
A few years ago I had the same story.
I was distracted/busy at that time.
Put brain in gear and solved the problem. Nil cost immediately then 50p.
The ball cock washer in the header tank had dried and retained the ball cock in the up position.
Water level had got too low.
A quick clout and later a replacement washer sorted it. £2K+ NOT spent.

Override timer for the pump failed first of all
>> and I did my own research.
From Google the source of the problem was not definitive but probably PCB.
Called the manufacturers. In effect get stuffed., Will not discuss/ comment unless you are a Gas Safe bod.

Boiler stopped totally.
Called them re repairs to get an idea of potential costs.
Boiler too old so look else where.
 Boiler. PCB repairs - RattleandSmoke
Is a very common problem. I tend not to go get computer PCBs repaired as the cost isn't worth it, but boiler PCBs are usually quite simple and can be professionally repaired and not too high cost relative to the cost of a new boiler.

It always annoys me when I hear about people being told they need a new ECU. Most the time it is probably nothing more than a few dry joints or a failed capacitor and certainly doesn't warrant the stupid price main dealers want for a new ECU.
 Boiler. PCB repairs - Manatee
Worth checking for this sort of thing. Our washer needed a new control board; it was a common failure and I discovered a chap on ebay who did the repair for under £30 I think.
 Boiler. PCB repairs - madf
Our 34 year old boiler has no PCB.. Repairs over the past 10 years? New gas control valve - £50 new old stock on ebay..plus room thermostat..
 Boiler. PCB repairs - Manatee
Ah yes. They told me I needed a new gas valve, £300. Turned out to be a bad connection to the thermocouple. That's the sort of thing that results in a lot of new boilers I would guess.
 Boiler. PCB repairs - RattleandSmoke
The Space saver glow warm?

We still have a 35 year old boiler, again hardly any costs over the past few years. The biggest was needing a new timer and new motorised control valve although you could argue that is apart of the central heating system rather than boiler itself.

We are waiting for the gasman to book us in though to have it replaced, 35 years is pushing it a bit and the gas bills are massive.
 Boiler. PCB repairs - Lygonos
Pretty sure our boiler is one of these jobs, perhaps 15 years old now:

www.plumbcenter.co.uk/product/ideal-concord-cxa50-h-natural-gas-boiler-conventional-flue-including-controls-50kw/

Faultless so far, heats up a bath pretty fast but you can hear the gas meter chugging away when it's on.

Managed to wear out a hot water pump in the past 10 years though.

18 large radiators, 4 small radiators, and a 3000 sqft house with at least half of the windows single-glazed all helps to boost climate change I bet.
Last edited by: Lygonos on Thu 20 Oct 16 at 15:27
>> I used CET for a replacement PCB in late 2014. Reconditioned.
>> Cost me £57.60 plus £4.30 to return the old one
>>
I was charged exactly the same.
 Boiler. PCB repairs - Bobby
My boiler was acting up and my regular engineer, who I trusted, told me that x,y and z were done and couldnt be repaired. blah de blah. And I would need to get a new boiler as this one was recommended when it first came out (when I got it) , but subsequently was found to be problematic.

Anyway, I decided to take the manufacturer (Vokera) up on a fixed price repair they advertised which was a couple of hundred pounds inc an annual service. Have carried on with their monthly plan since and not had another single issue.

Its not often you recommend dumping the local independent expert and recommending the manufacturer directly!
My boiler is more than 15 years old.
I chose it for its potential longer life ( it has a cast iron heat exchanger)
Baxi are not interested at all. It is too old.
 Boiler. PCB repairs - madf
>> My boiler is more than 15 years old.
>> I chose it for its potential longer life ( it has a cast iron heat
>> exchanger)
>> Baxi are not interested at all. It is too old.
>>
>>

Any semi competent heating engineer with 20 years experience should sort it out...It's not complex..
>> Any semi competent heating engineer with 20 years experience should sort it out...It's not complex..
>>
Yes, that is what is happening.
I was just pointing out that the expensive last resort of calling the manufacturer to fix it is not always an option.
It was also pointed out by a. n. other that some guys will not entertain fixing a boiler if it is not easily accessible.
Ours is in a base cupboard in the kitchen.
 Boiler. PCB repairs - Dutchie
Our boiler is in the kitchen on the wall and easy to reach.

It is eight years and we have a service contract.We had the boiler fixed for free can't remember what for.>:)

If there is a problem the fitters are usually out in a day or two.I like the piece of mind I know it comes at a cost a monthly payment but it is worth it to me.

I used to flush take the radiators off the wall every two years.I still add rust protection through the boiler once a year.

We have had the same fitter servicing the boiler for a few years.Combi boilers are ok just a compromise.our old Baxi lasted well over twenty years.We got writ of the header tank in the loft and the tank in the cupboard.

Our radiators are about 34 years the old Myson ones I used to make.The main thing with any boiler have them serviced once a year.Crud builds up.I have a inline filter and a filter after water leaves the boiler.

Latest Forum Posts