Non-motoring > Customer Service in Chile Auctions
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 5

Customer Service in Chile - No FM2R
Normally like rocking horse poo.

However, one of the banks here has just started a service for the deaf. Essentially if you are deaf you can video call with the bank and they guarantee to have a sign-language capable representative available.

I have no idea if UK Banks or other organisations do such a thing, but it seemed like a damned good idea to me.
 Customer Service in Chile - Clk Sec
Some info here:

tinyurl.com/hzl7z37
 Customer Service in Chile - Mike Hannon
My UK bank has been running a sign language service for overseas customers for some time. Snag is, it only seems to consist of two raised fingers...
 Customer Service in Chile - Slidingpillar
My bank, along with most other UK institutions just falls over when they have a deaf customer. 50% of the time when I write an email and say I'm deaf (I always do) they reply offering a normal speech phone number.

I have coping means, but any firm that deals properly with the deaf is very rare.
 Customer Service in Chile - Bromptonaut
>> I have coping means, but any firm that deals properly with the deaf is very
>> rare.

I'm sure I could research this on RNID etc website but what, in your experience, constitutes dealing properly with the deaf?

We've had calls booked for us at work via utility companies customer service or debt management arms with note that customer is deaf. That of course doesn't make clear where between hard of hearing via manages with an inductive loop phone to profoundly deaf the customer sits. It's embarrassing to ring and be told by a spouse or child that customer is profoundly deaf - we look unprofessional.

Mind you it's not only the deaf. Had one yesterday 'Customer speaks only Romanian, no English'
Where the referrer thought we'd find an interpreter at drop of a hat is a mystery. Actually the cleaner is Romanian but his English isn't good enough.....
 Customer Service in Chile - Slidingpillar
I'm sure I could research this on RNID etc website but what, in your experience, constitutes dealing properly with the deaf?

Accepting an email as what it is - ie replying the same way, not trying to phone. Responding to emails within a reasonable time frame. One company I deal with has 3 day response. I kicked up stink, and now have an individual contact who is very good. She is always thanked too.

Basic customer service too, 'read the email/letter'. If the correspondent says 'I'm deaf' you do not tack on a standard sentence inviting them to ring. It's rude - and I will say so too.

I don't have figures on the percentage of sign language users, but I understand it may not be a majority of the deaf. It is however still a lot of people.
Last edited by: Slidingpillar on Sat 15 Oct 16 at 11:42
Latest Forum Posts