Non-motoring > Accident in the Irish Sea Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Rudedog Replies: 13

Accident in the Irish Sea - Rudedog
I was surprised that this sort of thing still happened considering all of the technology on these subs.

Seems the sub didn't even know anything had happened, and yet the trawler nearly capsized.

tinyurl.com/jd487nh
 Accident in the Irish Sea - Dutchie
You can have all the technology you want mistakes happen.

We where of the U.K coast when it happen to our vessel.

The sub came up far to close to the direction we where taken.The old man took it in his stride he wasn't happy.

Snibby's fish close to the coast they are small vessels.
 Accident in the Irish Sea - Manatee
I know not a lot about seafaring matters but isn't the Irish Sea quite shallow, 200-300 feet? Doesn't sound like a lot of depth for playing with big submarines.
 Accident in the Irish Sea - Bromptonaut
The bit that gets me is the Navy's denial, until pressured in Parliament, that any RN or NATO sub was anywhere near at time of Katy's near sinking.

They were either:

(a) lying or;

(b) incompetent by not knowing sub's position.

Accident in the Irish Sea - No FM2R
C) An operational reason
 Accident in the Irish Sea - Bromptonaut
>> C) An operational reason

More (a) [reasons to lie]
( i) An operational reason)

Accident in the Irish Sea - No FM2R
If you say so. Not really what I would call lying though with its emotive connotations.

P.s. thumbed your post by mistake. Sorry.
 Accident in the Irish Sea - Old Navy
The Russians actively and sometimes aggressively look for our submarines. Their positions and routes are classified way above politicians security clearances. I suspect the delay in disclosure was to make the information stale and irrelevant.

Been there done that, similar location. Understandable if you know the situation which the press, politicians and you lot don't.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 14 Oct 16 at 08:55
 Accident in the Irish Sea - Zero
>> The bit that gets me is the Navy's denial, until pressured in Parliament, that any
>> RN or NATO sub was anywhere near at time of Katy's near sinking.
>>
>> They were either:
>>
>> (a) lying or;
>>
>> (b) incompetent by not knowing sub's position.
>>

The last people you trust with operational military secrets is Parliament. You might as well fax the details to Moscow and cut out the middle man.
 Accident in the Irish Sea - Old Navy
It is a rare occurrence which I only suffered once, but having politicians in a submarine is a pain, they are restricted to certain areas, and some equipment is locked away or covered up. We did not do that when we had the families on board for a day trip ! Mrs ON almost qualifies as a submariner, she has been down to 200'.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 16 Oct 16 at 20:24
 Accident in the Irish Sea - R.P.
Yo Zeddo !
 Accident in the Irish Sea - MD
Plus 1.
 Accident in the Irish Sea - henry k
Hello again
 Accident in the Irish Sea - Dog
Goodbye 'again'.

(*_*)
Latest Forum Posts