Non-motoring > Severe delays on the line Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Mapmaker Replies: 2

Severe delays on the line - Mapmaker
When I got on the tube this morning there was a notice up warning of severe delays on the line.

In TFL terms this means that the trains are not running to their timetable. If you have 30 trains per hour, and each one is taking 60 seconds too long to run the entire route then your trains are running 30 minutes late after an hour.

But 60 seconds late over a 15-stop-long route is 4 seconds per stop. So far as the passenger is concerned he doesn't notice any difference. If anything the journey is better than usual as many people will be put off using that particular line.

They've been running tubes for 150 years; how come they don't realise that the only people who care about the timetable are the drivers. The rest of us only care how long it will take us to get to work. And this morning - though it was obvious the train hung around in stations for a bit too long - there was no appreciable difference to my commute. Scarcely - from my perspective - "severe delays".
 Severe delays on the line - smokie
And what about yellow weather warnings? Woss that all abaht? We've always had weather, and always (well usually) coped.

"Yellow: Be aware. Severe weather is possible over the next few days and could affect you. Yellow means that you should plan ahead thinking about possible travel delays, or the disruption of your day to day activities. The Met Office is monitoring the developing weather situation and Yellow means keep an eye on the latest forecast and be aware that the weather may change or worsen, leading to disruption of your plans in the next few days. "
 Severe delays on the line - Manatee
>> And what about yellow weather warnings? Woss that all abaht? We've always had weather, and
>> always (well usually) coped.

We have Michael Fish and the Great Storm of 1987 to thank for that. Nobody can risk failing to predict one now and the best way to avoid that is to predict them all the time.
Latest Forum Posts