Non-motoring > Glad to live where I do Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 2

Glad to live where I do - legacylad
When you see the devastation caused by Hurricane Matthew, and probably more to come once it hits FL, SC & NC makes me glad I live in England! There are quite a few other places in the world I could happily live, but overall nothing beats where I am now.
It's cool & the weather is rarely settled, SW gales in winter, some floods, long dark winter days, hill fog & days of sideways rain, but no extremes.
I wish I could say I'm always glad to return home, I can't, but at least it's a known quantity.
 Glad to live where I do - Manatee
Spot on LL. We have relatively unpredictable weather here from day to day, but I didn't fully understand what a temperate climate was until I realised what other parts of the world experience in terms of the extremes, even though they are in moderate latitudes.

I still think winter is a bit too cold and dark, and the nights too hot sometimes in summer, so I think I had better stay here for fear of something worse.
 Glad to live where I do - legacylad
It's the long hours of darkness that get me, and looking out at continual drizzle. Cold clear weather I love, albeit with limited daylight.
Last winter I enjoyed 6 weeks in a rooftop 'penthouse' with a few friends, Finestrat, immediately south of Benidorm. Very little rain, temps maxing around 70 on a good day, but definitely shorts weather. We did lots of travelling around, hill walking, coastal walks, a few days in Valencia and a week in Moraira, but 6 weeks was too long. Although next year my friends are returning to the same locality for 3 months. Not I.
Next Feb I'm away for a month staying up the coast in Moraira. Much classier init? Again lots of sightseeing, and staying adjacent to very active friends ( think triathlon training) who are there for 3 months minimum. But a month is sufficient. A few years ago I dreamed of overwintering abroad, possibly flying home for the odd week, but now that possibility is reality I don't want to!
Waking up to a frost covered hillside, maybe some snow cover on the hills, and a day on t'tops in the Dales under a blue sky beats everything that a winter overseas can offer. I suppose a lack of such days only heightens their enjoyment.
Latest Forum Posts