Non-motoring > WalkWalk rather than TalkTalk Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 10

WalkWalk rather than TalkTalk - Falkirk Bairn
Still getting Indian scam calls re "problems with your computer"

Letter arrives from TT today - package to be changed £31.50 rather than £27.50 with another £4.50 in 12 mths time.

Effectively a 25% increase in a 12 month period - more free calls but we have the phone for BB & receiving calls. Making calls has fallen by the wayside - Facetime is better & Free.

Within 1 hour of receipt of the letter I had signed up with Sky, upgraded to SKYQ and "saved"
£10 per month ("MAN MATHS SAVINGS" as well as a real£10.00) compared to the current SKY + TT Bills + one Direct Debit instead of 2.

I had been thinking of changing for a while HOWEVER TalkTalk just made my mind up.

If you are on TalkTalk it might be worth your while Shopping Around rather than footing the Bigger Monthly Bill.
 WalkWalk rather than TalkTalk - smokie
I'm with Virgin and they just announced a c 10% rise in my bill from Nov. I'm on about as cheap as I can get with them, minimal TV package and paying line rental in advance to secure best discount. By choice I do pay for reasonably fast internet, probably fast than most people get with other providers.

I remember being with Sky some years back and leaving them because of a large increase. I guess it comes to them all sooner or later...
 WalkWalk rather than TalkTalk - BrianByPass
>> If you are on TalkTalk it might be worth your while Shopping Around rather than
>> footing the Bigger Monthly Bill.
>>

Might be, or might not be. My current package lasts until March 2017 and it simply cannot be beaten, especially taking account of the unlimited broadband plus the free and very-cheap mobile sim-only deals I have with them. Free SIM has 500MB data a month

According to the Guardian, half of exisiting customers will be better off if they switch to new terms with TalkTalk.

"Until now the company offered a range of phone, internet and TV packages at different prices – with cheaper offers for new customers – and charged £17.70 for monthly line rental. It meant someone buying basic broadband and a landline paid £25.20 a month, before any special offers/discounts were applied.

From November, however, TalkTalk customers on that deal will pay £27.95 a month. They can reduce it to £22.95 if they switch to the firm’s new 18-month tariff.

The company said existing customers on better “deals” can keep those discounted prices until they expire. All customers will still have the freedom to tailor packages by adding anytime calls or TV products.

TalkTalk said that around half of its 4 million customers could pay less than they currently do if they make the switch.

The company also wants to reward the loyalty of existing customers by allowing them to switch and save money if there is a better TalkTalk deal available after three months, including those previously only available to new customers."

Having said that, if you want to switch to Sky, there are good deals to be found via www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/cheap-broadband
Last edited by: BrianByPass on Thu 6 Oct 16 at 19:54
 WalkWalk rather than TalkTalk - Stuartli
Interesting that so many people wish to stab TalkTalk without fully knowing all the facts.

I have a TV/AnyTime phone/38mb broadband package with TT that costs me £27.70 a month including line rental thanks to generous half price offers. I don't use the TV side (already fully sorted in this respect, but you need the Essentials package to get broadband), but it's still a lot cheaper than my original legacy AnyTime International3 package.

When the half-rice offers cease, it will still only cost me £10 a month more and with the new offer this is reduced to £34 and a bit, plus a free mobile phone SIM with an excellent monthly package of minutes, texts and data.

However, I've happy with GiffGaff's mobile package and wouldn't swap, but the cost of TT fibre broadband alone is much less than BT would change me, so I'm very happy and even more so as TalkTalk has, in general, served me well for the past near 11 years...:-)
 WalkWalk rather than TalkTalk - Crankcase
Having been with Cambridge Cable>NTL>Virgin for a million years, I do look from time to time at other providers of course.

However, they all seem to require a physical BT phone line to provide the broadband, which of course we don't have. It looks as if I'd have to get that sorted with BT, at some ludicrous price, before I could switch. That, (and of course experience of BT "customer services" elsewhere in my life), is off putting enough that I tend to put it all away in a mental box and not open it again until the next price increase.

WalkWalk rather than TalkTalk - Mapmaker
>>Cambridge Cable

There's a name!
 WalkWalk rather than TalkTalk - devonite
I left Sky recently for Plusnet, because they were cheaper for me, and I noticed that Sky had been charging me £2.50 per month "for NOT having Sky TV"!!
 WalkWalk rather than TalkTalk - Manatee
This might be useful to somebody.

I've been paying £15 a month to TT plus line rental (£17.70 before pre-payment discount), for ADSL and anytime calls boost, so nominally £32.70 Our cabinet has just got fibre and they offered me medium fibre (c. 40Mbps) for an extra £7.50, total £40.20.

I checked their new customer offer which is £27 for 40Mbps inc line rental, and they are doing a discount on the anytime calls for the length of the 18m contract to £5 a month. So a new customer would get what I have just signed up for for £32.

www.talktalk.co.uk/shop/broadband/fibre

However - on that page they also say

"Already with TalkTalk?

Now you’ll always get the same great deals as new customers"

So I got on to the online chat. They agreed that when my order has gone through I can contact them and they will drop my price. Still slightly dearer than Plusnet, but I had nearly 18 months to run on my TT contract.

They are actually OK as long as you don't try to use the call centre. For any service issues I use the community forum - their OCEs (Online Community Experts?) deal with queries and they can actually do stuff, unlike their first line telephone support staff. I successfully tuned my slow ADSL service by getting them to experiment with my noise margin, and to send me a different router.

WalkWalk rather than TalkTalk - Pat
I always go down that route too Manatee, but yesterday I used their online chat service and they were excellent too.

I haven't had a single scam call on the landline all day!

Pat
 WalkWalk rather than TalkTalk - RattleandSmoke
Got the letter today and I am too am going to change supplier unless they can offer me a discount when I and cancel. I am thinking of going over to Plusnet, but I can't have fibre as my cabinet is full :(. However I get 20mbs anyway as I live close to the exchange.
 WalkWalk rather than TalkTalk - mikeyb
I moved to TalkTalk last year, and they put the price up about 2 months into my contract - I exercised my right to leave early with no termination charges as thy had changed the terms of the contract. It took a bit of pushing to get them to agree, but they did in the end.

Nice little earner for me as I had some cashback through quidco paid out to me. I moved to BT for another cashback deal and only a 12 month contract
Latest Forum Posts