Non-motoring > Fracking Green Issues
Thread Author: devonite Replies: 2

Fracking - devonite
So, the Gov have overturned a local councils ban on Fracking in Lancs, why? I can see no long term sense in it with the ecological trend to phase out fossil fuels. Shale gas is just another form, and will still be hit by the same regs as Coal use, so why allow it? Is it because they fear "Brown-outs" from closing too many Coal-fired Power stations, and they hope this will fill in the gaps until the nuclear sites proposed come on line, or is it because they can see quick profits to be taken before the fossil-fuel bubble bursts. One thing is clear tho' it's ok for these things to be built or go ahead as long as it's not in their area and on their doorsteps! - I'm sure there would be better ways to go!
 Fracking - henry k
>> Is it because they fear "Brown-outs" from closing too many Coal-fired Power stations,
>>
Certainly.

>>I'm sure there would be better ways to go!
We have still not solved the challenge of storing energy so until then windmills will not be enough.
 Fracking - Ambo
If EDF are to be in charge of Hinkley Point during construction, that power station, at least, won't be generating until its technology (which of course it has never yet been tried) is out of date.
Latest Forum Posts