Non-motoring > New money Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Rudedog Replies: 14

New money - Rudedog
Just seen my first new fiver...

I know they are just cash but I think I like them, I'm guessing the others will follow.
 New money - Crankcase
I thought this one was going to be about decimalisation.

First for me last week. Asked for a quarter of cheese in Waitrose, young lady on the counter. No problem but then brain clicked in and I apologised for not asking in grammes. She said they had no problem and lots of people still asked for a quarter.

So then I said, jolly good, would you be ok if I said that piece was twenty eight bob then, and we hit a wall. First person I've come across who "kind of" knew about old money but actually didn't know what a "bob" was, nor, it turned out, a "shilling".

She wanted to know when old money went out, as well.

I'm getting old. But I still just automatically turn decimal into old money in my head, don't know why.

Anyway, those new fivers. Aren't they titchy! Now, when they were white...

Last edited by: Crankcase on Tue 4 Oct 16 at 07:55
 New money - Falkirk Bairn
>>But I still just automatically turn decimal into old money in my head, don't know why.

I still automatically turn decimal into old length, weight, in my head as I still judge measurement of distances, weight etc etc in "old money" terms
 New money - Slidingpillar
I still automatically turn decimal into old length, weight, in my head as I still judge measurement of distances, weight etc etc in "old money" terms

Unless one is being precise, the fact a metre is a yard plus three inches (or so) does for most things.

If I'm working on the three wheeler, out comes the imperial micrometer as it's much easier to measure with that than use the metric one and convert. Indeed, I rather think today's kids would have their brains boggled by trying to use an imperial micrometer.
 New money - sooty123
> I still automatically turn decimal into old length, weight, in my head as I still
>> judge measurement of distances, weight etc etc in "old money" terms
>>

How far do we go back though, chains and hogsheads? :)
Last edited by: sooty123 on Tue 4 Oct 16 at 11:29
 New money - sherlock47
Just as well the Brexit community did not jump on this bandwagon.....

petition.parliament.uk/archived/petitions/24054
 New money - sooty123
All 19 signatures eh? ;)
 New money - Cliff Pope
>> I thought this one was going to be about decimalisation.
>>
>>

I thought it was going to be about the nouveau riche splashing their money around.
 New money - Ambo
These notes are not at all dignified, looking like vouchers for free pizzas. They are ruined by washing machines or hot irons.
 New money - devonite
Every body should brush-up on their Imperial measurements, they may make a come back! - personally, the only decimal thing I've ever used is money, every thing else I still ask for things by the Pound, yard or pint! - And, the only reason I don't mind the New Money is because it's smaller and lighter to carry around, Anyone still prefer to carry 240 of those old Pennies in your trouser pockets? ;-)
 New money - Cliff Pope
>> the New Money is because it's smaller and lighter to carry around,
>>

It has to be, because it's been devalued since the old money.

That nice hefty old half crown bought quite a lot. I can't pretend to remember the old gold sovereigns in change, but there was real value in a very small coin.
 New money - Falkirk Bairn
I have 2 sons in the oil industry - its all feet & inches, Pressure lbs per sq in.

Drilling in 6,000 feet of water, then the hole is 12,000 feet long (not deep as they are drilling "round corners")

Even more complicated as some US measures are not the same as UK even although "they sound the same"

The UK will go fully metric one day - the same day as the USA!!!
 New money - sherlock47
>>Anyway, those new fivers. Aren't they titchy! Now, when they were white... >>>

You have been putting them thro' the tumble dryer again.......

www.thesun.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/screen-shot-2016-10-03-at-13-59-46.png?w=445
 New money - car4play
Sherlock - that's what I call small change.
 New money - VxFan
The new fiver has another party piece up its sleeve.

www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/37630555/how-the-new-five-pound-note-plays-vinyl-records
Latest Forum Posts