Non-motoring > Screws for spectacle arms working loose Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Mike H Replies: 23

Screws for spectacle arms working loose - Mike H
Anyone any ideas for stopping the screws that hold spectacle arms working loose? I have two pairs of specs at the moment (clear and sunglasses) that seem to be by far the worst of any I've had for the screws working loose and making the arms wobbly and ill-fitting. TIA.
 Screws for spectacle arms working loose - Bromptonaut
Both Mrs B and I have had this problem over years. Affects not just arms but also nose pads and (wire frames) retention of lenses.

Other than loctite can only suggest carrying suitable screwdrivers everywhere and regular tightening.
 Screws for spectacle arms working loose - No FM2R
Super glue on the thread.
 Screws for spectacle arms working loose - sooty123
As above a quality glue on the threads.
 Screws for spectacle arms working loose - Robin O'Reliant
I had the same problem with one pair. A dab of Locktite cured it.
 Screws for spectacle arms working loose - Stuartli
Use Loctite NOT Superglue. Clear nail varnish is an alternative.

if you get Superglue on the lenses, especially if they are plastic ones..........:-(
 Screws for spectacle arms working loose - Slidingpillar
Locktite make a range of thread lockers, and I'd have thought the weakest one was appropriate. Might have fancy numbers, but essentially screw-lock, bolt lock and stud lock. Not that expensive, I have all three.
Superglue works just fine. I am looking through a pair of spectacles treated in that way right now.

it has the advantage of being around must homes. I suspect that most people do not have loctite or call it what you will lying around.

Obviously you shouldn't get glue on the lenses, but if you can't put glue where you aim it then you shouldn't be allowed to use glue anyway. I find it difficult to see through nail varnish on lenses as well.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sun 25 Sep 16 at 20:48
 Screws for spectacle arms working loose - Mike H
Will give the ideas a whirl, thanks. I have some hyperpower Loctite that I used for attaching brake calipers to the Saab, that might do the trick ;-)
 Screws for spectacle arms working loose - Roger.
>> I find it difficult to see through nail varnish on lenses as well.
>>

THAT accounts for it, LOL :-)
FOC doesn't necessarily mean free of charge.
 Screws for spectacle arms working loose - VxFan
>> FOC doesn't necessarily mean free of charge.

Correct.

acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/FOC

;)
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 26 Sep 16 at 10:18
>>Obviously you shouldn't get glue on the lenses, but if you can't put glue where you aim it then you shouldn't be allowed to use glue anyway. I find it difficult to see through nail varnish on lenses as well.>>

You've missed the point yet again....:-)

Which point was that?
 Screws for spectacle arms working loose - Duncan
If you buy your glasses in Poundland or Aldi, then it doesn't matter.
 Screws for spectacle arms working loose - Cliff Pope
>> I find it
>> difficult to see through nail varnish on lenses as well.
>>

You should try the rose-tinted kind :)
 Screws for spectacle arms working loose - Dulwich Estate II
If you've got some silicon sealant or decorators' caulk in a tube at home you could try that. The tiniest possible bit works just as well as Loctite with the advantage over glues that you can later undo the screw if needed.
 Screws for spectacle arms working loose - Robin O'Reliant
>> The tiniest possible bit works just as well as Loctite with the
>> advantage over glues that you can later undo the screw if needed.
>>

Why would you want to do that?
 Screws for spectacle arms working loose - Dulwich Estate II
" Why would you want to do that? "

1. The lens / frame edge gets ingrained dirt and needs a good clean.

2. It's pricey frame and the latest eye test requires a change of prescription, so lenses only.

3. It's a pricey frame and one lens gets damaged and needs replacing.

4. It just smacks of good practice - if was never intended to open the joint why do they bother with screws in the first place.

5. Because I said so.
You could/can also replace a broken spectacle arm if necessary. If Superglue is used that's ruled out.
Last edited by: Stuartli on Tue 27 Sep 16 at 11:51
 Screws for spectacle arms working loose - Bromptonaut
>> You could/can also replace a broken spectacle arm if necessary. If Superglue is used that's
>> ruled out.

A spare pair of mine that live in Mrs B's car have a mismatched arm as I cannibalised an even older pair.

More recently I've used www.specrepairs.com/ and had excellent service. Superglue would have made their job much more difficult.
Probably impossible...:-)
 Screws for spectacle arms working loose - Clk Sec
>> As above a quality glue on the threads.

I wonder why opticians don't use that method? I've taken dozens back over the years, some for myself and Mrs CS, but mostly for older people that we know. Only ever been charged for it once, in Boots, 'cause the specs didn't come from there.
 Screws for spectacle arms working loose - Armel Coussine
I have a watchmaker's screwdriver, magnetized so that it can pick the screws up. One can use the tip of a scalpel if all else fails.

It's easy to burr and damage the slots if you aren't careful, even with the proper tiny screwdriver.

I don't have fiddly metal-framed specs any more, except as a last-resort spare. Moulded plastic ones from the optician are a lot less bother, and seem very durable.

Latest Forum Posts