Non-motoring > Yorkshire wine anyone ? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 12

Yorkshire wine anyone ? - legacylad
I returned from warmer climes Thursday .... Raging toothache, so an hour in the dentists chair yesterday for remedial work on a decaying nerve and abscess. Very little sleep for 4 days, and getting disgustingly pithed Thursday night didn't help the pain....temporary relief with strong antibiotics & Ibruprofen until a proper dental repair in Nov ( I'm only in the UK 96 hours)
So today, my local pub had a jolly boys ( and girlzzz) trip to Yorkshire Heart Vineyard & Brewery at Hammerton, just outside York, by train.
We drink various of their draught beers at my local, and I'm never one to turn down a visit to a small brewery. Very interesting too. More interesting was a talk & subsequent tour of the vineyard... I think 10 acres at the moment. Apart from the red, which got the thumbs down, the sparkling rose & white were most acceptable. So I was told.
No point sitting at home feeling sorry for myself with an aching face waiting for the antibiotics to work...I never thought I would visit a commercial vineyard in Yorkshire. A grand day out.
 Yorkshire wine anyone ? - PeterS
Sounds like an enjoyable day out! Had a pleasant afternoon in the sunshine earlier in the summer drinking some of the output of another Yorkshire brewery with an old school friend...
www.woldtopbrewery.co.uk

Must look the vinyard up next time I'm up there :)
I frequent three local free houses in the Settle area, with an ever changing range of beers from nationwide micro breweries. I'm no 'beard & sandals' beer drinker, but for proper beer drinkers we have never had it so good.
Some of my fav beers at the moment come from Kirkby Lonsdale Brewery... A 35 min bus ride from Settle so perfect for an afternoon mini trip.
The Orange Tree is the 'brewery tap', with rooms, but plenty of other gooddrinking & eating spots in KL, including the rather expensive ( to us) Royal Hotel. Great walking country.. The quiet eastern LD fells around Shap, the Howgills, Dentdale, and recently extended YDNP.
I've spent years walking in those parts...please feel free to ask for any local info.
Regards
 Yorkshire wine anyone ? - Ian (Cape Town)
There's a Python sketch here somewhere...
 Yorkshire wine anyone ? - CGNorwich
I don't really get English wine. It still seems to be a bit pointless. I accept that some of the stuff is pretty good but there again al lot of it is plain awful especially at the bottom of the range.

Even with the good stuff you can invariably find an equivalent French of Italian wine that retails at two or three pound per bottle less. A lot of these wineries seem to be more middle class hobbies than serious businesses.

Yorkshire wine anyone ? - Clk Sec
We bought a couple of bottles of English wine a while back that was on offer at a fiver a bottle. It wasn't bad, but probably not one that you would recommend to others.

We've also had one or two quite reasonable ones at around £7 - £8 a bottle, but as CGN says, you can find equivalent French or Italian wines for less money.
Quite true... Cannot remember the price of their wine but I sucked my teeth!
I drink very little wine, being a social pub beer drinker, but will happily part with €3.25 in Tenerife for a bottle of acceptable ( to me) white Rioja. The Turkish wine was pretty poor, but what do I know. The locals sail over to Kos for their cigs & booze, so I'm going along with them on Wednesday.
I haven't been able to negotiate a discount this time on the package holiday by not taking hold baggage, so might throw in a few bottles of NZ Sav Blanc which I paid a fiver for. Otherwise my 22Kg allowance might as well be 5Kg
 Yorkshire wine anyone ? - Mike Hannon
It's all a bit worrying, isn't it, for an expat wino toying with the idea of returning to the UK? Or being forced into it by politics, but that's another story.
Wine I wouldn't use to wash my car at seven or eight quid a bottle? Sheesh...
 Yorkshire wine anyone ? - sooty123
That's easy you'll have to start stock piling before you come back, you'll just need to borrow a couple of wagons. ;)
 Yorkshire wine anyone ? - Ambo
Has "Château Kingston" been done to death by mass imports? It was a spoof generic name for those wines that were made from imported must fermented in the UK. Maybe one of these was Wincarnis, administered to the feeble young Ambo by an anxious mother. They were still around in the early 1970s, when supermarkets hadn't yet taken a major part of the trade.
 Yorkshire wine anyone ? - Clk Sec
>> Wincarnis, administered to the feeble young Ambo by an anxious mother.

Sanatogen now, perhaps...
 Yorkshire wine anyone ? - Ambo
>> >> Wincarnis, administered to the feeble young Ambo by an anxious mother.
>>
>> Sanatogen now, perhaps...
>>

Nice one! But no, around 8 prescription drugs daily instead, 9 on Sundays.
 Yorkshire wine anyone ? - Dog
'Buckie' is a tonic wine too.

Just saying.
Latest Forum Posts