Non-motoring > Ipod touch - good or bad? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 32

Ipod touch - good or bad? - BobbyG
Its my 15 year old daughter's birthday next week and due to her doing well in her exams was thinking of getting her a bigger present that normal.
She currently has an ipod Nano but its only 4 or 8gb, either way I know it is full and she needs more space.

She has previously talked about an ipod touch but, being the luddite that I am, I can't understand what an ipod touch would do that her laptop and current Nokia 5800 phone won't (she has apps, free web etc on it)

Am I right in saying the touch only works through the wifi ie. she would need to be sitting in the house, put her laptop and phone to one side to use the touch to do the same thing? Or am I missing something here?

Might just get her a bigger ipod but I have the ipod classic 80gb but she doesn't want something as ugly as that!!!
 Ipod touch - good or bad? - rtj70
The iPod touch can only be used on WiFi. But you can always use MiFi. If she has a Nokia 5800 then there's an application on that which creates a wifi hotspot and the iPod could use that when she's out and about.

For the extra space you'll need to go for the iPod touch 32Gb or larger. That version is different from the 8Gb - it supports Mic in but also has a faster CPU etc.
 Ipod touch - good or bad? - Fenlander
Had just the same set of thoughts a few weeks back for our 13yr old's birthday. She has a decent phone (but doesn't use it for the web) and access most times to a family laptop as well as desktop PC. We already have wi-fi in the house.

She is a big user of Facebook and MSN to friends evenings/weekends/holidays and likes a big music downlaod collection.

Bought an IPod touch and in the two weeks since her birthday it has been a massive hit. Obviously the listening to music thing is little different to her previous later generation Nano (with camera). However the ease of use and simple intuative touch screen interface elevates it to be a worlds apart from the Nano and her phone.

Then there's the ability to use Facebook/MSN from our house wifi, in McDonalds on their wifi and similarly in hotels with wifi at meal stops on outings. She can take it with her in teh pocket when a laptop would never be carried.

Fair enough that top range phones can do all of this but for her keeping the phone seperate to the music/web device seems to work well.... mainly for the reason when she is somewhere where she has to carry a phone in jeans etc anything as large as a modern smartphone is just too big.
 Ipod touch - good or bad? - Redviper
My Fiance bought me one for my Birthday the 8Gig Version, and I love it

The ONLY downside is that to access some of the apps and internet you need a WIFI Connection obvously thats not avaialble all the time but you can access hotspots

Using it is a pleasure and for listing to music its brilliant - highly recommened!
 Ipod touch - good or bad? - R.P.
Shiny kit at its very best.
 Ipod touch - good or bad? - Dulwich Estate
I thoroughly recommend one. It's not just for kids you know - I'm close to getting my bus pass now ! (having said that, I think they will have taken it away just by the time I'm eligible for a pass). I had a 30gb classic which broke. So I got the 32gb one, use it for music and listening to Radio 4 podcasts when out and about. I've got plenty of language learning stuff too: the entire pack of Michel Thomas French, Advanced French and Spanish too. It's about 15% full and has maybe 2 - 3 entire days of listening on it. I haven't got round to trying a film yet though, as I use it mainly when I'm driving.

It's lovely to use and at home it's just so much quicker than switching on the computer if you want a weather forecast or email check.

This new one suits me precisely because it isn't a phone and running costs are nil. Hotspots are easy enough to find.

One of my best buys.
 Ipod touch - good or bad? - Zero
Brilliant bit of kit, only bettered by the 120gb Ipod classic.

Dont forget you will need to load Itunes to manage it.
 Ipod touch - good or bad? - Mike Hannon
I'm a bit of a Luddite but I wouldn't be without mine now, especially for internet here and there. I might even get an iphone one day.
I am an iphone convert, now on the Iphone 4.

Its a complete delight to use.
 Ipod touch - good or bad? - Redviper
Did you get your free case, to resolve the signal "issue"?
Its been ordered. Free.
 Ipod touch - good or bad? - Boxsterboy
I upgraded from a 4gb nano to a 16gb touch, but when I lost it went back to a nano as a replacement.

I think it depends what you are going to use the device for. I found the wifi range to limited to be of much use (and would rather have the bigger screen of a laptop if I'm on the net). My main use is as a music player, in which case a 16gb nano is sufficient, and smaller for life in the car glovebox.

Wife has an iphone but hates the touch-screen for texting and will soon be going back to a standard button keypad phone.
>> Wife has an iphone but hates the touch-screen for texting and will soon be going
>> back to a standard button keypad phone.

yes women do, I got hold of a 3GS for nicole to try, and she hated it, now on a blackberry pearl (which i hate). V strange.
 Ipod touch - good or bad? - rtj70
You can use the Internet on the iPod touch anywhere if you have a mifi type device. Software on symbian phones can do the same and bobby mentioned a Nokia 5800. The basic version of that app is free too and the full version £8.

Posting from a hotel via my iPod touch.
 Ipod touch - good or bad? - smokie
...or my 160Gb classic. The great thing about large capacity is that you don't need to keep swapping stuff on and off - many people could put their whole collection on a biggy.
My 16gb Touch will be up for sale come October, if as it seems likely I go for a iPhone 4 when my contract comes up for renewal.....
I have an Iphone 2g up for sale cheap.
 Ipod touch - good or bad? - midlifecrisis
How cheap is cheap?? (And would it work on T-Mobile)
75 quid, it was unlocked, but when I upgraded the software to 3.3 it was locked back to O2 - I could unlock it

They go for over 100 quid on ebay. Its the 8gb 1st gen version, aluminium back, couple of small dents on back, perfect screen - not scratched, works well, boxed,
 Ipod touch - good or bad? - spamcan61
Personally I'm not sure what the iPod touch will do for her that the 5800 + memory card won't do.
It has street cred and it looks better.
Exactly - "shiny kit" !
 Ipod touch - good or bad? - swiss tony
>> Exactly - "shiny kit" !
>>
I have a name for I-phones and the other I- stuff.
pity I can't say it here !
>> It has street cred and it looks better.
>>

Yep, fair enough.

I went out to buy a 5800 today and ended up with a HTC Wildfire anyway. I must admit the pinch zoom is rather neat. Currently using it to stream Absolute Classic Rock via my DAB mini system :-)
 Ipod touch - good or bad? - MD
In English Pleeese old Chap. Only a Bilda you know!!

X
 Ipod touch - good or bad? - swiss tony
>> Personally I'm not sure what the iPod touch will do for her that the 5800
>> + memory card won't do.
>>
From what I've seen freeze and crash regularly...
Oh... and that 'flash' finger pinching action to zoom in and out.
Well birthday is tomorrow and so the ipod touch 32gb was bought today from John Lewis (its good to have relatives with discounts...)

Hopefully she will like it!!

Will let you know...
If she doesent give you a massive hug for being a cool dad, tell her from me she is an ungrateful wee cow.

I have saved a spot for you on computer questions, "how do I get all my songs synched with I-Tunes."
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 10 Aug 10 at 19:31
Defo not a cool dad - she is also wanting her ear pierced, not the lobe but the cartilage just at the entrance to her ear canal. I have said no way (even though she will be 16 and can do what she wants). Mum says she can do it. I have told her I don't want my wee girl becoming a pin cushion....

Cool and dad won't be said in the same sentence...

Now onto synching ipods.......
 Ipod touch - good or bad? - MD
Tell her if she does she's out of the Will.

And Mum should know better.

M
 Ipod touch - good or bad? - Statistical Outlier
Disagree. It's a very useful thing to allow her to rebel against. You'll lose, she'll get the piercing (which she'll probably tire of and have taken out again without much damage in a few years) and it'll distract her from doing anything much more damaging in the meantime.

Yep.

And if I ever have kids I'll let you know if I still think so.
>> Disagree. It's a very useful thing to allow her to rebel against. You'll lose, she'll
>> get the piercing (which she'll probably tire of and have taken out again without much
>> damage in a few years) and it'll distract her from doing anything much more damaging
>> in the meantime.
>>
That's exactly my strategy with Spamette major (she's just turned 18), there are really much bigger and scarier things to worry about than little piercings. What I'l do if she wants a flippin great tatoo is another matter!
Daughter loves ipod touch - turns out all her pals have one and she didn't!!

Latest Forum Posts