Non-motoring > Trigger Fingers Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 6

Trigger Fingers - Ambo
Does any poster suffer from these? If so, have they done anything effective against them?

I refer the condition where fingers lock themselves round relatively slim objects such as knives (luckily, it doesn’t happen with the car steering wheel) and won’t unlock unless forced open by fingers of the opposite hand. This is painful and made worse still if the released finger is close to, say, a drinking glass, and then springs open and strikes it.

Injection is a remedy (I imagine with cortisone) but my doctor declined to do this, saying too many fingers were involved (6 in all). Instead he prescribed Ibuprofen gel, to be worked into the points on the palms where the finger tendons pass. I am not supposed to take any of the NSAID group of painkillers, as he knew, but he said external use should be ok.

It produced some temporary relief for three days but then brought about intense itching of the palms. A limited switch to the pill version led to swollen, tingling lips and an upset stomach, noted in the product leaflet as possible outcomes.

I now await an appointment with an orthopaedic consultant. In the meantime, suggestions gratefully received.
 Trigger Fingers - sherlock47

>>>saying too many fingers were involved (6 in all)...and won't unlock unless forced open by fingers of the opposite hand..<<<

I didn't think that you came from Norfolk :)
 Trigger Fingers - Ambo
I think Norfolk deformities are more likely to be mental. Not many know that a famous journey ended up on the Norfolk coast...

Gravedigger: It was that very day that young Hamlet was born - he that was mad and sent into Norfolk

Hamlet: Ay, marry, why was he sent into Norfolk?

Gravedigger: Why, because 'a was mad. 'A shall recover his wits there, an if 'a do not 'tis no great matter there....'Twill not be seen in him there...There the men are as mad as he.
 Trigger Fingers - car4play
Only if I have been doing heavy manual work where I am having to hold a grip for an extended period. I get this grip of death thing afterwards and it basically just feels like muscle cramp in that hand. Same solution as you, I have to forcibly open the locked fingers with the other hand and then try not to hold anything in it for a while.

In short it is just cramp in that hand.
 Trigger Fingers - Dog
Minor? surgery is available for that condition:www.bssh.ac.uk/patients/conditions/18/trigger_fingerthumb
 Trigger Fingers - Ambo
Excellent lead, thanks.
 Trigger Fingers - Clk Sec
>> Injection is a remedy (I imagine with cortisone) but my doctor declined

That's a shame. The injections I've had have worked very well.
Latest Forum Posts