Non-motoring > If you have a minute to waste Miscellaneous
Thread Author: car4play Replies: 12

If you have a minute to waste - car4play
Take a look at Apple Maps and check the time on Big Ben.
While you're at it have a ride on the Eye.
 If you have a minute to waste - smokie
Can I do this on on my (non-Apple) PC?
Sadly Apple Maps is only available on OS X (Mavericks and higher) or iOS devices like iPhones
 If you have a minute to waste - rtj70
I'm assuming you are referring to the fact it is showing the correct time? And the London Eye is turning?
Last edited by: rtj70 on Thu 15 Sep 16 at 12:50
Yes - well I thought it was cool.
I was more impressed in general by the 3D modelling of the buildings. Very cool. Thing have improved a lot since Apple Maps was first launched :-)

I wonder where else things like this are animated?
I agree. It might be my imagination but I thought the 3D modelling looked much better. Edges of buildings had less wobble as it were.
The tour mode on major cities is pretty impressive too. Worth a look before visiting.

Not sure that anywhere else has animations - maybe London is just special. I did have a look to see if the Seattle eye was also animated, but for some reason I couldn't see it on the maps anyway!
>> Can I do this on on my (non-Apple) PC?

Only if you have a processor and chipset that allows you to install Mac OSX. I've done that on my PC - currently not with OSX on it for now. I selected the components when building it so I could do this.
 If you have a minute to waste - smokie
Well as I have no desire for that, I'll look at the recommended stuff on SWMBOs iPad when I remember...
Neither would I want to do that. Getting a stable install of OSX on a generic PC was not as straightforward as you'd want!

As far as I can tell (via Google) the only animations on Apple Maps is the clock in the Elizabeth Tower and the London Eye. That's it. You cannot see Big Ben but you can't from the street either. I'm being a pedant to avoid a follow up from the resident pedants. :-)

The 3D graphics/renders are impressive mind.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 16 Sep 16 at 00:38
 If you have a minute to waste - zippy
'Tis witchcraft I tell ye!

I was impressed, but then I'm geeky!
It is very impressive. I still think the animations are limited to the clock on Elizabeth Tower and the London Eye. But other cities are equally impressive when viewed in 3D.

For those without access to an Apple computer or phone/tablet I tried recording a demo. The file was a little big last night because I did it on my Mac forgetting it's got a 2560x1440 monitor :-) I might try again later.

Of course the impressive 3D graphics are mostly pointless.
 If you have a minute to waste - VxFan
>> For those without access to an Apple computer or phone/tablet I tried recording a demo.

Why bother when it's already available on youtube

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ruj_plWtOQ
Latest Forum Posts