Non-motoring > Baked Off Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 28

Baked Off - Crankcase
Bah - the BBC loses Bake Off to Channel 4.

I am entirely unapologetic about the fact I like Bake Off. I can't cook, but something abut it is entirely watchable. I like that sewing version too, and yet have no interest in sewing per se.

Oh well, by the time we've had the "coming up on Bake Off", ad break, two minutes of material, recap of the two minutes, "coming up on Bake Off", ad break, one minute of material, recap of the one minute, "coming up on Bake Off", ad break....

The joy for the production company of course is 75 million quid, the opportunity for ad revenue on top, and the freedom to reduce 60 minutes of original programming per week to nearer 30.

Wonder if all four (any of the four?) presenters stay.

Still, maybe the BBC will bring back The Open University instead and a tweedy man with a blackboard will tell me about quantum physics, which is, I'm afraid, my ideal evening. Actually there's a brilliant Horizon from the early eighties where Richard Feynman did just that, and I have it recorded for Many Watchings.

Baked Off - CGNorwich
I think we have reached peak meringue and Bake Off is now in decline anyway.
 Baked Off - Slidingpillar
Not a fan so personally not bothered. However, I believe programmes are sold just for a defined amount of money. The advertisement revenue or not, is solely within the remit of the broadcaster.

edit - I too think we've reached peak meringue
Last edited by: Slidingpillar on Tue 13 Sep 16 at 09:55
 Baked Off - sooty123
The OH watches it, she applied to get on but was unsuccessful. Not too fussed personally, although some of the large cakes in the main challenge are interesting to look at. They look nice and no doubt take a bit of planing.
 Baked Off - Old Navy
I prefer the "How it's made" series of programmes. Mrs ON watches GBBO, hopefully she will learn something from it!
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 13 Sep 16 at 12:38
 Baked Off - Clk Sec
Hopefully she won't read your last post...
 Baked Off - Old Navy
She did a better job of teaching the grandkids to bake than our kids. She did have me to practice on!
 Baked Off - smokie
ISTR the subject of Bake Off moving channels arose last year and the key players all said they'd stay with the Beeb. I wonder if fat cheques (no, not Capn Bob!!) being dangled in front of them will make a difference?
Last edited by: smokie on Tue 13 Sep 16 at 14:17
 Baked Off - martin aston
The way the BBC is covering this you'd think it was a national tragedy. It's not stopping, it's moving. If BBC has avoided spending a huge chunk of licence money on renewing it, and we can now see it for free, it doesn't seem anything but good news.

It does seem a pity that BBC has nurtured the programme but doesn't appear to benefit from its later sale. Presumably it's initially cheaper to leave the rights with the production company.

Baked Off - Robin O'Reliant
In a nation that is becoming more and more obese every other TV program is based on the theme of which particular food to stuff your face with.

Good riddance.
 Baked Off - busbee
BBC is far from my favourite broadcaster. For me they ruin most channel 9 documentaries by playing hideous background noises. 3 minutes of that and I am gone.

Their news channel also. Who wants to listen to their drumming sound? Irritates me very much. It's as if they think, we are the big, most important station, and we must assert ourselves with a drum roll etc. It's cr*p. Would not bother me a bit if BBC was shut down.

Noise again in between their Today In Parliament bits, or whatever it is called. At least one can mute that without losing anything.

Unfortunately, other stations, like channel 5, are copying the BBC in playing background noise -- BBC does it so it must be the way to go.

Years ago there was a lot of protestation on the BBC website. We got nowhere and I guess no one bothers to complain any more. So it must be alright.

Baked Off - devonite
They've certainly got the "knack" of shooting themselves in the foot! - first Top-Gear then Bake off. They've had their cakes but don't seem to be able to eat them!
 Baked Off - CGNorwich
Happy with the he background music. It's those red killer beams that feature on the news opening titles we need to worry about, Dog is worrying about WiFi and the BBC are beaming this stuff.
 Baked Off - martin aston
Re Top Gear comparison. The difference is that BBC has retained the rights to the TG name.
Dr Google says they earn £150m p.a. for global viewing and merchandise etc. Global viewing figures are 350 million people.
Thats about 43p per head per annum. Probably not bad in these days of pay per click revenues?
Last edited by: martin aston on Tue 13 Sep 16 at 16:24
 Baked Off - Dog
>>Dog is worrying about WiFi and the BBC are beaming this stuff.

He doesn't worry about it - life is to short. He makes sure the Wi-Fi is disabled via his router 'til required.
 Baked Off - rtj70
And Mel and Sue won't be doing the Bake Off on Channel 4. So it's already going to be different. If Paul Hollywood and Mary Berry decide not to then it will be very different indeed. In fact would it be worth the £25m they will pay each year to show it?

It's cheap TV with high viewing figures. We watched the last few series but it got very repetitive and aren't bothering this time. Maybe the BBC were right to lose the show. They offered double (so £15m) which was probably too much.
 Baked Off - CGNorwich
Only pulling your dogleg. On the Greek Island of Samos at the moment in an an apartment in a remote fishing village - sort of place you would like I think. Mind you it does have 24 hour wifi. :-)

Time to saunter down to the harbour for an ouzo I think.
 Baked Off - rtj70
Have an extra Mythos for me if you would be so kind. Enjoy your holiday on Samos.
 Baked Off - Roger.
Time for that awful dancing-and-prancing-fest to go, too. Strictly Coming or summat.
 Baked Off - Dog
You could have gone to stopathome CG, where it was up to 28°, and bought an half-decent bottle of St Emilion.
 Baked Off - CGNorwich
I could have certainly but much as I like Norfolk I need an occasional fix of Mediterranean lifestyle.

Kakinychta
 Baked Off - legacylad
I'm sick to the back teeth of these cookery programmes, but presumably there must be an audience otherwise they wouldn't make them.
Cooking to me is some M & S haddock warmed up in the oven with oven chips, frozen peas and a squeeze of lemon.
Sometimes a pasta with mushrooms & peppers & garlic
Sometimes I fry some pork & black pudding sossidges, two fried eggs and more oven chips
Sometimes dinner is 5 pints in the local
I've just returned from my hotel gym ( super modern & deserted most of the time) switched on the idiots lantern whilst I guzzle a litre of water before dinner, and it's those hairy blokes being sycophantic over some French bloke.
Another day on the beach tomorrow... Tenner Iffy at the moment. The El Coto white Rioja is only €3.25 in the supermercado and I have a fair few bottles in the fridge in my room.. It's £9.75 a bottle back home. Salut.
 Baked Off - Dog
>>Tenner Iffy at the moment

Another nice morning I see. This cam has sound, I check it out most mornings and imagine I'm there!

Once upon a time, long, long ago, I used to have an early morning swim from that playa:

www.canarylive24.com/webcam-live-playa-las-vistas
 Baked Off - Dog
>>Kakinychta

Kalinychta ;)
 Baked Off - rtj70
Καληνυχτα
 Baked Off - Dog
ezi abalị na ezigbo ụra :)
 Baked Off - rtj70
நல்ல இரவு மற்றும் தூக்கம் நன்றாக.

or

ebusuku Good futhi ubuthongo kahle.

But I know the translation using Google from English to Welsh was wrong so these are probably too.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 13 Sep 16 at 23:04
 Baked Off - Dog
Came out as Tamil and Zulu respectively . Google translate is quite amazing really.

Myttin dâ guvnor.
 Baked Off - Ambo
Google is fine for run-of-the-mill translations but not much good for colloquial versions. It could also do with optional Romanised versions of foreign scripts such as Tamil.
Latest Forum Posts