Non-motoring > Samcam news Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 18

Samcam news - smokie
The husband of the delightful SamCam is stepping down from whatever it is he does so she will be less in the public eye.

Shame.

I'm sure I recognise him from somewhere.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37342152
 Samcam news - henry k
Another one flounced off ?
 Samcam news - CGNorwich
A decent and honourable man in my opinion. In a few years time we will all be looking back to the Cameron years as a time of good government and prosperity.
 Samcam news - Roger.
Brexit - the gift which keeps on giving! Will Gideon be next?
 Samcam news - sooty123
>> Brexit - the gift which keeps on giving! Will Gideon be next?
>>

Well as you mention it
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37344525
 Samcam news - No FM2R
I agree with CG, exactly a decent and honourable man. Not always right, but decent.

So much more pleasant than that scumbag Farage, whatever your politics. Though since he is so much less bigoted than Farage, he wouldn't appeal to some.
 Samcam news - Robin O'Reliant
It always surprises me that any ex PM would want to sit on the back benches. It's rather like working your way up to CEO at Fords and then opting to go back on the assembly line when you've had enough or are displaced. After you have reached the top the only way left is the way out.
 Samcam news - No FM2R
I can kind of understand why someone would want to; its quite a nice idea sitting there and watching everybody else 'manage'.

But I agree, surely impossible to actually do.
 Samcam news - zippy
Shame to see him go, as it was on the 24th June.

I am sure he will do well though and wish him the best.

Joke in the Telegraph is good (Matt) "He said he wanted to spend more time with his family, if he could remember which pub he left them in"

:-)
 Samcam news - Bromptonaut
Perhaps Ted Heath queered the pitch former PMs?

Douglas Home stayed in Commons after his defeat and served in high office as Heath's foreign Secretary.

During/since Heath's long tenure 'below the gangway' tendency has been (Thatcher/Major/Brown) to go at election following defeat or defenestration. Blair went quickly too and like TB I suspect Cameron forsees big bucks in commerce and/or elsewhere on world stage.

While I tend to agree over his fundamental decency he was also lazy, impulsive and short tempered. If he'd listened to wiser counsel instead of taking the easy solution of a referendum as solving his party's schism over Europe he'd have avoided the s*** storm that Mrs May will have to sort out.
 Samcam news - henry k
>> While I tend to agree over his fundamental decency.
>>
I have always viewed him as a PR man and in another era as a spiv.
The return from the EU visit with no answers IMO convinced the UK public that it was just PR.
>>.. he was also lazy, impulsive and short tempered.
And showed his temper far too often

>> If he'd listened to wiser counsel instead of taking the easy solution of
>> a referendum as solving his party's schism over Europe he'd have avoided the s*** storm
>> that Mrs May will have to sort out.
>>
I agree.
The seven day NHS promise was his last con.
 Samcam news - Roger.
Other views :-)

www.thepoke.co.uk/2016/09/12/bog-off-cameron-you-piggy-botherer/
 Samcam news - sooty123
While I tend to agree over his fundamental decency he was also lazy, impulsive and short tempered. If he'd listened to wiser counsel instead of taking the easy solution of a referendum as solving his party's schism over Europe he'd have avoided the s*** storm that Mrs May will have to sort out.

I suppose many of them are the first two in varying degrees but i wouldn't say he was lazy or at least he didn't strike me as such. I don't think referendum was the easy way out, some PMs might well have just ignored it and kicked the can down the road. I think that would have been the easy option.
 Samcam news - Mike Hannon
Another vacancy coming up at Goldman Sachs? (See Barroso).

>>A decent and honourable man in my opinion. In a few years time we will all be looking back to the Cameron years as a time of good government and prosperity.<<

I really must get around to putting 'try wacky baccy' on my bucket list...
 Samcam news - CGNorwich
Just put a note in you diary for 5 years hence.
 Samcam news - Mike Hannon
5 years? I only do half a day at a time. And it was the much misunderstood Harold Wilson who said that (even) a week is a long time in politics...
 Samcam news - Avant
History will be kinder to Harold Wilson than commentators were at the time. PMs are usually remembered for one or two 'big things' and Harold is now remembered mainly for - admirably - refusing to send British troops to Vietnam.

David Cameron, sadly, will probably be remembered for his unnecessary promise of the referendum. He'd have won the election anyway, given his fairly good record in government, the quality of the opposition and the predictable collapse of the Liberal vote.
Last edited by: Avant on Tue 13 Sep 16 at 23:29
 Samcam news - sooty123
I'm not so sure, his majority in the end was 12 i think. Without the promise of the referendum I'm pretty sure he'd have been in another coalition. It was the promise of that vote that got him over the line.
 Samcam news - Cliff Pope
Lots of PMs have stayed on in the past - Gladstone and Disraeli ding-donged in and out for years.
Balfour returned and served at the Admiralty and as Foreign Secretary.
Churchill became a back-bencher, then PM again.
Lloyd George stayed.

It's the modern presidential style that puts so much emphasis on the PM's role. He's really just the "prime" minister out of many, who happens to lead the team. We and they don't have to see it in such personal terms.

I agree DC is a decent man, with a SOH which always helps. But he had irritating mannerisms and tended to speak in cliches. I'm always wary of politicians who say "this country of ours" and keep referencing things as for "our children". He'd have come over better in the country if he didn't shout so much in his Commons speeches - difficult to throw off the Oxford brawling club image.
Latest Forum Posts