Non-motoring > Public Toilet Etiquette Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 113

Public Toilet Etiquette - VxFan
Which also includes workplace toilets.

Do you give other people using public toilets breathing space as it were, or do you just plonk yourself down beside them and not care?

By that I mean if there are a row of cubicles or urinals, do you use the one right next to someone else or one further down the line? Obviously there are occasions when that isn't possible because the place is busy and you *have* to use the cubicle/urinal right next to someone else, but I mean when it's fairly quiet.

Me, I like to give the other person space, and in turn like to be given space too.

Nothing more annoying (for me anyway) when I'm in a cubicle or stood at a urinal, and someone comes and uses the one right next to me. Sod off and go use the urinal/cubicle further down the line please.

I suppose in some respects I suppose it's like a near empty car park. You find a nice spot to park in, then come back to find a car parked right next to yours and the car park is still nearer empty!

I used to have a link to a toilet game where you had multiple choice answers to different scenarios. low scores for standing/sitting right next to someone, and high scores for giving people space. Darned if I can find it now.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 8 Sep 16 at 10:43
 Public Toilet Etiquette - Lygonos
Stand as close as you can to someone at the urinal and let out a massive fart while you pee, surely?
>> and let out a massive fart

Ah, that was you, was it?
 Public Toilet Etiquette - BrianByPass
>> someone comes and uses the one right next to me
they're using gaydar, the nearer to you the better the signal pickup and also get a good measure of your pizzle.

>> used to have a link to a toilet game
choose one: urinalman or urinalgame

Last edited by: BrianByPass on Thu 8 Sep 16 at 12:00
 Public Toilet Etiquette - zippy
>>I suppose in some respects I suppose it's like a near empty car park. You find a nice spot to park in, then come back to find a car parked right next to yours and the car park is still nearer empty!

M40 Cherwell services, I had engine trouble so chose a totally empty car park away from the buildings to allow the AA truck to get right next to me.

5 minutes later a Ford Focus pulls up with a family and parks right next to me, there must have been 100 empty spaces, then a hired transit van right next to that! They obviously knew each other as they all got out and started to hug, mill around and walk their dogs together!

The Focus driver parked so close that she had to squeeze out of her door!

Public Toilet Etiquette - Dog
>>they're using gaydar, the nearer to you the better the signal pickup and also get a good measure of your pizzle.

You're not wrong there ByPass man ... When I was a bit of a hippie [make love not whoa) I used to virtually live o'er the West End of lunden. The amount of times that happened to me in the Leicester Sq. area was incredible.

So-much-so in fact that I'm a tad 'funny' about someone being (peeing) next to me in a pubic urinal to this day.

It even happened when we were waiting to board the ferry in Cadiz to take us to Tenerife some years ago.
The d*** (rhymes with sago) standing next to was actually playing with his joystick while looking sown at me.

Maybe it's something about me - I told you I was tool, dark, and 'ansome.

:o}
 Public Toilet Etiquette - Ian (Cape Town)
I once popped into a pub on the Bayswater Road, called The Champion, as i was busting for a slash.

Being well-mannered, I ordered a pint of Guinness before legging it to the gents.
Oh dear. The urinal had a 3' high mirror backing...
The cubicles started 10" off the floor, and finished at 4'6".

World record for a Guinness? I broke it that night!

Public Toilet Etiquette - sooty123
Never thought about it when visiting the traps. I go whichever one takes my fancy. Might if I was just going for a pit stop but i wouldn't really think too much about if anyone was next to me.
 Public Toilet Etiquette - devonite
I rarely use the "traps" in a public Loo - try to offload that before I go out!, but judging from some of the "noises" I've heard coming from them I think either some folk forget they are in a public place or simply just don't care! - and the number of people I've seen that don't even bother washing their hands bewilders me! - I have noticed though that every time I've washed my hands, always the next person does also and the one after him! - It's as if they suddenly feel guilty or "shamed" in to it!
 Public Toilet Etiquette - Armel Coussine
I detest public bogs and do my level best to avoid them.

Unpleasant queers and weirdos tend to cluster in them. Not nice at all.
 Public Toilet Etiquette - Cliff Pope
Has anyone noticed that urinals seem to be getting lower?
I'm not tall, only 5' 11', but they all nowadays feel like those special low ones for boys which one may accidentally pick, or be forced into using.

Surely as the population gets taller urinal height ought to increase in step?

They used to have substantial porcelein privacy guards at the sides, but now, combined with the height thing, it often feels like peeing in the wash basin (I would imagine).

So yes, I always pick a corner if possible.
I'm well over 6 feet but use the low urinals due to my impressive dangler.

Har har.
 Public Toilet Etiquette - No FM2R
You'd think a Doctor would know the meaning of "barely average".
The ultimate put down (not that I've heard it of course...)

"Oh! It looks like a penis. Only smaller"

Public Toilet Etiquette - Robin O'Reliant
>> I detest public bogs and do my level best to avoid them.
>>
>> Unpleasant queers and weirdos tend to cluster in them. Not nice at all.
>>

I popped into a toilet near Seven Kings station in Ilford some years back. Standing there bold as brass in the middle of the floor was an Indian guy in a turban with a white fellow kneeling in front of him taking a mouthful. I shot straight out and if there had been a plod car passing I'd have flagged it down. They could at least have gone into a cubicle, though I suppose part of the thril was the risk factor.

I doubt many a person would have been happy if their young son had walked in on it.
 Public Toilet Etiquette - No FM2R
>>I doubt many a person would have been happy if their young son had walked in on it.

Damn right. I'd be pretty upset myself, never mind the kids..
>> I popped into a toilet near Seven Kings station in Ilford some years back. Standing there bold as brass in the middle of the floor was an Indian guy in a turban with a white fellow kneeling in front of him taking a mouthful.

I pulled into a layby on the way to Weymouth (probably 10 or more years ago now, somewhere near Blanford) and went to use the toilet that was just around the back of the trees nearby. As I entered the building there were 3 men standing there in the caterpillar position. I suddenly realised I didn't need to have a pee after all and made a rapid exit.

Closer to home, there used to be some public toilets in the car park opposite the Barley Mow pub, at Clifton Hampden a few years ago. They were subject to a 6 month police surveillance because they were being used for all manner of strange sexual activity. Rumour has it that the police even had hide up the roof void to conduct the surveillance.
>> As I entered the building there were 3 men standing there in the caterpillar position.

I haven't exactly led a sheltered life but, that's a new one on me ... 'Spose I'll have to dust orf the ole Kama Sutra.
>> I haven't exactly led a sheltered life but, that's a new one on me ...

I'll put it another way, 3 men stood in a behind one another doing the conga.

>>I'll put it another way, 3 men stood in a behind one another doing the conga.

Good Godfathers!! ..Fact most certainly is stranger than fiction then.
>> I'll put it another way, 3 men stood in a behind one another doing the conga.

If Vxfan and a few more had joined, in they could have formed a linked circle.
Last edited by: BrianByPass on Fri 9 Sep 16 at 11:32
>> If Vxfan and a few more had joined, in they could have formed a linked circle.

I know this is a motoring website, but I draw the line at participating in doing doughnuts.
 Public Toilet Etiquette - The Melting Snowman
>> If Vxfan and a few more had joined, in they could have formed a linked circle.

I was thinking that, otherwise the bloke in the middle gets twice the excitement.
 Public Toilet Etiquette - car4play
>> I detest public bogs and do my level best to avoid them.

Funny enough one our clients runs this website:

www.loo.co.uk/2/2016-Tork-Loo-of-The-Year-Awards

I didn't believe such a thing existed until he contacted me.
"Now you are taking the p..."
 Public Toilet Etiquette - Ambo
>>You find a nice spot to park in, then come back to find a car parked right next to yours and the car park is still nearer empty!

The same applies in canal boating. Not being enamoured of canal side pubs, we usually tied up away from amenities, in the countryside. We soon had company.
>>judging from some of the "noises" I've heard coming from them I think either some folk forget they are in a public place or simply just don't care!

Reminds me of a company I worked at for a while years ago. Some overweight slobbering middle-aged lump used to make all sorts of extraordinary noises from one of the cubicles. Noises of slapping accompanied by the odd 'come on baby, almost there', concluding with 'ahhh, that's better'. Odious creature.

I think the french public toilets take some beating - the classic 'squat and drop'. At least no perverts congregate there or drug-snorting goes on - the stench was too bad.
On the rare occasions I visit a public crapper - only because others are using the urinals - it always surprises me the number of people who leave a jobbie floating there unflushed, and 50% of the time the water in the bowl is a bright yellow for the same reason. I do wonder what these people are like at home.
Caught short once, had to use the underground public bog in Hyde Park.

While I was in there, a trousered leg with a big, polished, thick-soled brown shoe obtruded itself under the partition.

Toyed with the idea of jumping on it with all my weight, but thought it might not be a good idea (quite likely the shoe would have had a metal toecap anyway).

Public bogs are awful.
Meant to add that the horrible brown shoe put me off my intended pony and delayed things for an hour or two.

I repeat, public bogs are awful, only for emergencies.
 Public Toilet Etiquette - CGNorwich
Blimey you're all a bit shy aren't you? Actually the real scandal is the closure of so many public toilets which has a real effect on the lives of a lot of people

When I first moved here there were 6 public toilets in the city centre
Now there is one
Councils don't care about providing basic provision any more.

Crikey! .. you're on to something there alright. Cornwall council and tourist board encourage people to visit the duchy and spend their hard earnts , but then close far too many public toilets.

I ass-umed it was just down here though, but it must be going on in other parts of this sceptred isle.
>> When I first moved here there were 6 public toilets in the city centre
>> Now there is one
>> Councils don't care about providing basic provision any more.

A problem that could be solved by closing all public loos and giving selected businesses (Pubs, cafes, supermarkets etc) a grand a year to let their facilities be used by the general public. It would save councils a fortune and even bring a bit more trade into those establishments.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 9 Sep 16 at 02:05
>> A problem that could be solved by closing all public loos and giving selected businesses

Howls about a loo with a view (of Gerrans Bay) roselandonline.co.uk/the-best-public-loos-in-cornwall/
 Public Toilet Etiquette - bathtub tom
>>Howls about a loo with a view (of Gerrans Bay) roselandonline.co.uk/the-best-public-loos-in-cornwall/

The best loo with a view I've found has got to be The Shard: i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/01/11/article-2260485-16DBA0FB000005DC-841_964x642.jpg
>> Meant to add that the horrible brown shoe put me off

Brown shoes in town - the fellow must have been an absolute shower as Terry Thomas used to say.
 Public Toilet Etiquette - smokie
I think the thing which offends me the most is when some shy person has gone into a cubicle to take a leak and not bothered to raise the seat and sprayed all over it. Then left it for the next person.

The other thing I am noticing more and more is younger men who have to undo their trousers completely and lower them a little at the urinal rather than just popping it out through the fly. I assume they've never really got the hang of anything other than assisted peeing in a potty, with your trousers round your knees...
Maybe we should use the verges more, like our friends across the channel.
 Public Toilet Etiquette - mikeyb

>> The other thing I am noticing more and more is younger men who have to
>> undo their trousers completely and lower them a little at the urinal rather than just
>> popping it out through the fly. I assume they've never really got the hang of
>> anything other than assisted peeing in a potty, with your trousers round your knees...
>>

Its more related to fashion - many jeans have button flys rather than a zip, so its not that easy to selectively open them.

Also you may also have noticed that the current fashion among young men is to wear very tight fitting jeans / trousers. I imagine that makes it difficult to reach in so to speak
" jeans have button flys rather than a zip, so its not that easy to selectively open them."

Ah that makes sense, I have a pair of jeans which are buttons and I've often thought it might look to others like I might be pleasuring myself as I deal with it.

Maybe I'll follow suit then...
 Public Toilet Etiquette - stan10
Late to this thread, but this really is "mates down the pub" isn't it ? - Brilliant !

Far too many comments ringing a bell to respond to, so some of my observations down the years -

Aged 3-4 yrs old, in the local park with my mum, wanted to "go" so she let me go in on my own (big boy now !)

I had just begun when a man came in and stood next to me, i suddenly noticed a hand wandering round the barrier, and am actually quite proud that although scared (without knowing why) i redirected my aim onto the wandering, which disappeared like lightening !
I ran outside to my mum (wet leg and all) and just as i was telling her what had happened, we looked round to see "the hand" rushing out of the block and legging it across the park.

Early in my internet years i read an article on "urinal etiquette", (same one as VxFan's ? ) describing where to stand to command the most privacy (eg, if there are three, and they are all empty, don't choose the middle one) Just logic really, (or basic maths ?)

In mid life two colleagues were one (very popular) chap of african descent, ond one "dour" Yorkshireman.
One time whilst having a comfort break the pop african came in and stood next but one to me, seconds later, the dour yorkie arrived and plonked himself in between us, stuck his head right over pop's stall and drawled - "Eeh, it's not true what they say about you blokes, is it ?

.... Two more wet legs - mine and "pop's"

Final experience, which may be a "so what" nowadays , but which unsettled me at the time was during a visit to the Reichsmuseum, when again in the middle of a comfort break, a female voice interrupted me .. "excuse me" - a lady cleaner mopping the facilities needed to push her mop around my feet I'm sure i came over completely unneccesary, but she went on her way uninterested, and undisturbed.
Outside, Mrs S was equally unimpressed by my tale.

Finally though, what has happened to all the really funny graffiti that used to adorn the walls of public toilets ?
and can we bring the ladies into this thread ? - by repute the graffiti on the ladies walls was much funnier than that on the gent's (I wouldn't know of course !)

" Look up - look up again - look up again .. you are now persisting on your shoes !
Best toilet graffiti I can remember was, "Why are you looking up here? The joke's in your hand".

Or, "Life is like a s--- sandwich, the more bread you've got the less s--- you have to eat"
>>by repute the graffiti on the ladies walls was much funnier than that on the gent's (I wouldn't know of course !)

I read that as giraffe. I did a similar thing last week reading Theoretical Girls as Theatrical Girls.

Maybe I need to pay a visit to www.specsavers.co.uk/
 Public Toilet Etiquette - helicopter
This thread reminds me of the terribly constipated chap who had not gone for a couple of days when he felt as though something might be moving....so he was sitting in the public toilet cubicle with trousers round his ankles heaving and straining without success.....

Suddenly he heard the sound of rapidly approaching footsteps , the next door cubicle door slamming and then the sounds of comprehensive diahorrea from next door ....

Still heaving and straining he shouted out in despair to the next door cubicle..' lucky b......'

.....only to hear the wailed reply

'That's what you think..

.I didn' t have time to get my trousers down'
>>
>> I read that as giraffe.

Always embarrassing when there's someone tall in the next cubicle.
>> Always embarrassing when there's someone tall in the next cubicle.

Yes, needs to wind their neck in.
>> a lady cleaner
>> mopping the facilities needed to push her mop around my feet
>>

I remember one of those.
"Just carry on dear, don't mind me"
 Public Toilet Etiquette - Mike Hannon
As far as I can see from my recent UK visit the main problem is finding a public lavatory in the first place. How do people 'of a certain age' manage any more?
No problem where I live, of course.
What I do in any place I visit, here or abroad, is find a coffee shop or fast food restaurant, buy the cheapest drink, and use their facilities. Can't be ars*d to go looking for public toilets.
>> >> a lady cleaner
>> >> mopping the facilities needed to push her mop around my feet
>> >>
>>
>> I remember one of those.
>> "Just carry on dear, don't mind me"
>>

I was in Paris in the week of Bastille Day, and had lunch two days in a row at restaurants on Champs-Élysées.

The queues to use the Ladies toilets were very long. On both days, when I went to the Gents, I found there were women there, either in cubicles or helping their children use the urinals. They were completely blasé and so were the men. The first day I was shocked, but the next day I accepted it as normal Parisian behaviour.
 Public Toilet Etiquette - Bromptonaut
>> a lady cleaner
>> mopping the facilities needed to push her mop around my feet

Early in my Civil Service career my manager was a lovely chap called Walter. He seemed old at time but was about age I am now (56). Suffered from middle aged bloke's issues with 'reduced flow'.

Cleaner was a Jamaican lady of similar age to Walter. She waited 10 minutes for him to vacate the Gents and then mopped round him.
Here you go, play

www.urinalman.com/

Grade A for me, I differed on number 4.

(What will they think of next of this internet thingummy??)
>>Grade A for me

ditto.
I didn't understand it! - got grade C (and wet shoes). ;-((
seeing as this thread also has a lighter side:

Revealed: the nation's No 1 toilet joke

Bec Hill’s Sudoku joke wins competition to mark WaterAid’s World Toilet Day,

For Christmas last year I got given Sudoku toilet paper. It’s useless. You can only fill it in with number ones and twos.
>> Here you go, play

That's not the one I was thinking of.

edit, got grade A.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 9 Sep 16 at 12:52
 Public Toilet Etiquette - CGNorwich
All this toilet talk reminds me of the predicament my wife found herself in earlier this year. We were at the gate on our return flight from Canada to London with boarding due in 20 minutes. My wife decided to use the loos before boarding. She had disappeared for about ten minutes and I was beginning to get a little concerned although I had seen a number of women enter the toilet and I thought there must be a queue.

She then emerged looking rather bedraggled and she told me what had happened. The lock on the door had apparently stuck and she was unable to open it despite her best efforts. Another passenger had alerted a member of the airport staff who suggested she climb over the top of the cubicle. My wife declined this suggestion but noticed that there was a large gap under the door and decided she could probably get under it with some assistance.

The airport worker and another passenger grabbed a leg each and slid her under the door backwards.

I suppose I shouldn't have asked her why she had taken so long when she knew the flight call was imminent.

I only got a grade B. I not fussy about these things, often I will go for a pee down the garden behind the beech tree. On a water meter here, see.
 Public Toilet Etiquette - TheManWithNoName
Reading these posts reminded me of a time I and some friends went to see Pink Floyd at Earls Court or London Arena, forget which. Anyway we'd gone into a McDonalds for a bite to eat and use the facilities. One of my mates was stood at a urinal - the toilets were very busy and as he was peeing, a drunk tramp was staggering around with his todger out looking for a spare urinal. Unable to find one he zig-zags his way over to the one my friend is using and starts aiming his pee just about everywhere but the bowl. The tramp nearly ended up being punched!
Something a bit like that happened to me in a tube station once. I was standing back against the wall waiting for a train. The place was nearly empty, very few people waiting.

Silly old geezer walked straight at me to pee against the wall, and I had to skip aside pretty quickly. I swore at him and he growled at me.

One wonders whether people like that are aware of their aggression, or whether it's unconscious. There are some very sad cases wandering about loose. They ought to be in hospital but probably the staff can't stand them and throw them out.
I remember many moons ago during a rock concert at Milton Keynes bowl, people were just lobbing it out for a pee because they couldn't be bothered wandering over to the portaloos. They didn't care where they were aiming either!
Talking of rock concerts, I'm off to California for Desert Trip weekend 2 in October and the FAQ contains this info

"WILL THERE BE GENDER NEUTRAL RESTROOMS AVAILABLE?

Yes. Gender neutral restrooms will be available and may be used by any person regardless of gender identity or expression."

Just like being at home then...

(Desert Trip details here in case anyone is interested deserttrip.com/ )
 Public Toilet Etiquette - legacylad
Smokie ... Sounds brilliant. Soooo jealous. I shall be in Turkey which comes a poor second.
Have you been to Burning Man in the Black Rock Desert, Nevada? My Placerville, CA based friends have been a number of times and it's on my 'to do' list
Maybe next year
Played a game in my younger days where several of us in a pub would all go the loo together. Mid-stream, someone would shout 'now' and we'd all have to stop the flow. The first one to start again would buy the next round.
We believed it was good exercise for the prostate. Find myself still doing it now.
Another thing I hate about public loos (or at least the last time I used one) is the quality of the loo roll. It always seems to resemble grease-proof paper and therefore not particularly effective at its intended function.
>> Another thing I hate about public loos (or at least the last time I used
>> one) is the quality of the loo roll. It always seems to resemble grease-proof paper
>> and therefore not particularly effective at its intended function.

Good grief! I recently came across a pack of that stuff and donated it to a museum, some scrote nicked it. ISTR it it was usually 'IZAL medicated', or printed with the slogan 'please wash your hands after use' ,if civil service issue.
I used to use Izal as tracing paper. Remember the shiny and rough side?
Also used with a comb as a poor man's kazoo.
When I was in HMDC Send, I/we used to use Izal for making roll ups from dog ends.
[I've lived a charmed life]
>> When I was in HMDC Send, I/we used to use Izal for making roll ups
>> from dog ends.
>> [I've lived a charmed life]
>>

Used, or new?
>>Used, or new?

Do me a favour guvnor!

Funnily enough, my handle, Dog, originated c1968 when my then girlfriend took it upon herself to call me dog end.
>> Izal for making roll ups from dog ends

So you smoked your medication then?

(Izal, the medicated loo paper. How can you not forget the smell of it?)
Long time ago 1967 ... Wifey says there was two types of Izal - sheets and rolls. I can't recall it being medicated.
 Public Toilet Etiquette - henry k
>> Wifey says there was two types of Izal - sheets and rolls. I can't recall it being medicated.
>>
Google will show you lots plus where you can buy it.
Maybe it wasn't actually Izal I was using. It certainly wasn't toilet tissue as-we-know-it. More like tracing paper.

Wifey calls it Bronco paper ... “Bronco, for the bigger wipe” :)

www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/broughttolife/objects/display?id=1790
 Public Toilet Etiquette - henry k
>> Maybe it wasn't actually Izal I was using..... More like tracing paper.
Google is reassuring on this "application."
>>
>> Wifey calls it Bronco paper ... “Bronco, for the bigger wipe” :)
>>
a well known rival brand.
From1951
"Medicines & Health - Toilet Rolls, Tissues etc
Still the greatest value in toilet rolls obtainable today. In rolls also interleaved. The toilet paper of outstanding quality. The softness of Bronco Toilet Paper, its marvellously smooth surface, its guaranteed purity, and the amazing thinness of the sheets all combine to make Bronco the most luxurious of toilet papers. It is also the most economical."

Is this how it is remembered :-)
p.s.
Bronco flat pack and Bronco No3 both on Ebay at present
Dog, this will bring back the nostalgia

www.amazon.co.uk/IZAL-MEDICATED-STRONG-TOILET-TISSUE/dp/B00FRK2RCC

Currently out of stock. Someone else here on C4P got the idea earlier.
I must admit that when I was knee high to a grasshopper, I had no idea what brand of toilet paper my ole mum bought. The stuff I used to use for roll ups certainly wasn't medicated .

One thing I can recall from my early childhood was the use of old newspapers torn into sheets for use in the karzi.
.. newspaper .. clearly left an impression

Actually to save money my mother once did just that, tore a newspaper into squares, put a hole in a corner with a bit of string.
Our family were hard up in those days too. We'd huddle around a candle in winter for warmth, and if it was really cold, dad would light it for us ;)
We were so poor back in the 1950's that, in winter, my ole dad would suck a mint and we'd all sit round waiting for him to breathe out.
 Public Toilet Etiquette - Clk Sec
>> Also used with a comb as a poor man's kazoo.

I have very vague memories of using the tissue paper that was attached to the silver foil in cigarette packets for the same purpose.
Yeah, I remember burning off the backing on the silver foil too.

And helping my Dad count his Embassy Regal vouchers...

This is turning into a different thread though! :-)
>> This is turning into a different thread though! :-)
>>

We are looming in a different direction...
>>We believed it was good exercise for the prostate.

You're not wrong there actually bathtub - I usually do that 4 or fives times when I water the flowers.
 Public Toilet Etiquette - Focal Point
"We believed it was good exercise for the prostate."

As far as the rather distant memory of my Anatomy and Physiology classes will allow, this is incorrect. Stopping your flow of urine in mid-stream is exercising your pelvic floor and sphincter muscles only. Some medical sources are suggesting it may harm the bladder - I couldn't comment. (Maybe our resident quack has a view?)

The only exercise that I know of for the prostate is orgasm/ejaculation and I believe it has been medically endorsed that frequent exercise of that sort is highly beneficial.

So get to it, lads!
Last edited by: Focal Point on Fri 9 Sep 16 at 21:13
>>Stopping your flow of urine in mid-stream is exercising your pelvic floor

Do men have a pelvic floor?
www.guysandstthomas.nhs.uk/resources/patient-information/urology/continence/pelvic-floor-exercises-for-men.pdf
Ask a snooty person if they've ever looked at the toilet paper after wiping their bum.

Chances are they'll say "noooo"

Then reply saying "how do you know it's clean then?"
Presumably a blind person has the same issue.
They can tell by the feel.
 Public Toilet Etiquette - Roger.
Taking two diuretics each morning, particularly on an empty stomach, has me rushing to our only loo - upstairs - as many as eight times in a couple of hours. How I would love a downstairs bog.
If SWMBO is not around I have been known to craftily use an large jam-jar, in the kitchen, with the contents being sent down the outside drain, followed by our outside hose being used to clear up. Saves the climb upstairs, especially if the back and knees are playing silly butters.
 Public Toilet Etiquette - Pat
>> How I would love a downstairs bog<<

But not if it's the only one you have, like ours!

Our stairs is steep with no handrail for the top 6 steps and with Gout this week I have struggled like mad to get up there and down again.

Ian decided if the mountain couldn't go to Mohamed, he would bring Mohamed to the mountain and decided to bring down the double mattress off our bed (on his own) into the lounge and put it on the floor to make life safer and easier.

We had forgotten cats bring presents in the form of live mice, and sure enough within a few minutes of carefully getting in bed, arranging a tent of cushions and trying to drop off to sleep, I realised there was mayhem going on.

3 cats chasing one little mouse round the dining room and it was heading towards me just 18'' above the floor on the mattress.

Woke Ian in a panic and he is running around the house, naked, with a pint beer glass in one hand and a copy of Doddington's Doings (our parish magazine) in the other pursuing the little field mouse to cries of 'don't let it come in here, I can't get out of bed' from me.......when another cat brought in a second mouse, alive too.

Both were eventually caught and delivered back to their natural habitat, alive, in the field behind the garden.

Thanks to invaluable advice from this forum the mattress will be going back upstairs today, thank goodness:)

Pat
You're only toilet is downstairs, that's quite an unusual layout.
>> You're only toilet is downstairs, that's quite an unusual layout.

We had that in our late 1800s terraced place in Watford

Fairly common in such older properties. Sort of places where loo was originally a privy in the yard and baths taken in a tub by the fire, indoor facilities a mid twentieth century add-on.
Fairly common in such older properties. Sort of places where loo was originally a privy
>> in the yard and baths taken in a tub by the fire, indoor facilities a
>> mid twentieth century add-on.
>>

Right fair enough, that's a new one on me.
>> Fairly common in such older properties. Sort of places where loo was originally a
>> privy in the yard and baths taken in a tub by the fire, indoor facilities mid twentieth >>century add-on.
>>
>> Right fair enough, that's a new one on me.

Plenty of examples in city suburbs. Particularly the 2 up 2 down type properties, where most now have a ground floor kitchen extension at the back, with a bathroom behind that.
>> Plenty of examples in city suburbs. Particularly the 2 up 2 down type properties, where
>> most now have a ground floor kitchen extension at the back, with a bathroom behind
>> that.

Exactly what we had except it was just bathroom that was an extension. Probably partly on footings of a 'coal place'.
The British upper classes were slow to adopt bathrooms and flushing toilets, and relied on bevies of servants to carry and empty chamber pots and carry up hot water.
>>If SWMBO is not around I have been known to craftily use an large jam-jar

I doos that - on a daily basis (haven't been caught, yet) I use a large beetroot glass jar which I keep handy.

We have two bogs here in this humble Cornish cottage - two showers/baths too but, they are both upstairs.

I wouldn't be happy just living in a gaff with just one toilet - our previous place had two bogs too.

I am also on diuretics - gallons of Ceylon tea :)
> I wouldn't be happy just living in a gaff with just one toilet - our
>> previous place had two bogs too.

Oh i don't know, sounds like you could get away with it, just leave some more jars around the place.
>>just leave some more jars around the place.

>LOL<
The large beech tree is my downstairs loo. Opportunity to have a quick smoke as well since not allowed to do that in my house.
>> How I would love a downstairs bog.

Ever thought of having one built at the back of your house, with access from your kitchen or rear reception?
 Public Toilet Etiquette - legacylad
It's called a s*** pit with a small green tent over it. We had one at Scout camp every year in Bishopdale
Probably wouldn't require planning permission...
As a child we spent a year living at my grandparents farm in County Cork. The toilet was a corner of the field. As was quite common in the fifties there was no running water in many rural areas which had to be drawn from a roadside pump. Getting caught short in the night meant using the potty under the bed.
My great grandmother lived in a quaint terraced cottage where the toilet was at the top of her garden. It was a semi-detached brick built affair with a proper pitched roof, and the other half belonged to the folk next door.
>> They can tell by the feel.

Braille loo paper, now there's a novelty.
>> Presumably a blind person has the same issue.
>>

tissue
>>Presumably a blind person has the same issue

I know a blind person as it happens, so I emailed him to pose that very question.

The second word of his reply was off!

"

"

"

"

"

www.cornwallblinds.co.uk/

8-)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3oC2ZIBqD8
 Public Toilet Etiquette - Rick O'Shea
I never use public facilities! My preferred method is to p1ss in a bottle and throw it out in a lay-by truck driver style! ;-)
Last edited by: Rick O'Shea on Sun 11 Sep 16 at 19:26
The olde ones are the best ;-)
Latest Forum Posts