Non-motoring > First face transplant patient dies Miscellaneous
Thread Author: rtj70 Replies: 15

First face transplant patient dies - rtj70
Sad news on so many fronts:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-37290986

Was it right she went through all of this?
 First face transplant patient dies - Dog
Yeah, tragic case (and some!) Only she can really say if it was the right thing to do IMO.

Awful that she contracted cancer due to heavy use of immunosuppressant drugs.

What was her alternative to having a face transplant 11 years ago, being she was so badly disfigured?

Personally, I would never have any transplant or blood transfusion carried out to keep me alive.
I wouldn't want someone else's organs or claret in my body thank you very much.
But she apparently tried suicide 11 years ago and the dog caused the damage trying to wake her. So that's a tragic start to this.

She had cancer twice because of the immunosuppressant drugs
Yep, I read the full article = very sad indeed.
 First face transplant patient dies - devonite
Having read the article, and seen the two pictures, I rather wonder if the Transplant was really necessary, she didn't look too bad before, compared to pictures of some disfigured people (Simon Weston for example). Then again I don't know how she saw herself, to her the transplant must have been something she needed. If she could have maybe accepted how she was, she may be alive today, then again she may have tried suicide again and succeeded. However, she had an extra eleven years of life she didn't expect, a lot of it probably in pain, it's a very sad case indeed and I hope she at last found some happiness in them.
 First face transplant patient dies - Lygonos
>>Having ... seen the two pictures, I rather wonder if the Transplant was really necessary

I *think* the pics on the Beeb are soon after the surgery on the left, and after the graft had settled down on the right.

Prior to surgery she looked like this (ignore the 'before-accident' on address: it's obviously wrong)...

media.bizarrepedia.com/images/isabelle-dinoire-before-accident.jpg
Last edited by: Lygonos on Wed 7 Sep 16 at 13:01
>>media.bizarrepedia.com/images/isabelle-dinoire-before-accident.jpg

OMG!!
 First face transplant patient dies - zippy
Very sad.

Apparently she had a lot of abuse about the way she looked when out and about, so decided on the surgery!

First face transplant patient dies - CGNorwich
Would you really reject a transfusion if a doctor told you it was the only way to save your life? Seems a bit extreme to me but your right of course. Any particular reason?
Jehova's Witnesses would not accept a blood transfusion in the same circumstances either.
 First face transplant patient dies - Lygonos
JWs can be quite complex - they might accept certain blood products but not blood cells.

They will accept their own blood harvested and fed back into them during surgery, but won't accept even their own blood taken before hand, stored, and given back at the time of surgery - once it leaves the body it's not acceptable

Can vary from person to person and my understanding is it is continually reviewed by the guys in charge of their cult/religion.

>>their own blood harvested and fed back into them during surgery

I'd accept that.

>>but won't accept even their own blood taken before hand, stored, and given back at the time of surgery - once it leaves the body it's not acceptable

Tis crrrazy!

>>Would you really reject a transfusion if a doctor told you it was the only way to save your life?

Affirmative.

>>Any particular reason?

I read the Watchtower.

"

"

"

"

"

"

"

"

I jest ;-)

First face transplant patient dies - Armel Coussine
The farm surrounding our house in Plymouth, which had once been the farmhouse, was run by a family of Jehovah's Witnesses who lived in two converted labourers' cottages separated from our backyard by a brick wall. They were always very nice in my experience, although the old man made an attempt to convert me once when I was drunk or stoned. He once fired some milk at me straight from the cow, saying jokily that he was 'returning good for evil'... tee hee!

Some years ago, two or three decades actually - how time flies! - I went to look at the old place when in Plymouth. It was still being run by their son, an amiable character. He told me the old man and his sister, whom I used to fancy (but I was too young for her), had gone to South America to spread the word. He also said his father had done himself in there by trying to treat some locally-caught disease with rum and something else, perhaps aspirin...

Half of their farm had always been closed off by a high spiked fence topped with barbed wire just to make sure. That part of the land was over some underground ammo stores belonging to the navy - obsolete 16-inch shells among other things. As in our day, when they wanted to move cattle or sheep through the fence they had to make a phone call for an MoD policeman who had the keys to the gate.

As for the face-off transplant, how ghastly that must have been for the victim.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Mon 12 Sep 16 at 16:33
I've always got on well with Jehovah's Witnesses during our 20 years of living in Cornwall.
I used to have a family of JW's visit me on a regular basis when we lived up in Warleggan.

When we moved to a gaff next to the Eden Project, two JW gents sorted me out.
One suffered from a speech impediment, and the other one had multiple sclerosis.
They used to preach to me about events in todays world and quote certain passages from the bible which allegedly foretell of such events ... and their consequences!

I used to 'take it all on board' because I believe in everything, and nothing.

Nice people though, from my personal experience. I sold one of my properties (the one near the 'Eden' project) to a family of JW's. The garage where I have my old banger serviced in Feock (nice area) is owned by a family of JW's.
 First face transplant patient dies - Armel Coussine
A cynical cat near here, younger than me, used to welcome the Jehovah's Witnesses when they came by with copies of their Watchtower magazine, and make them cook his supper.

Dead hard, some people. Opportunistic and unkind.
Latest Forum Posts