Non-motoring > Subtitles Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Armel Coussine Replies: 37

Subtitles - Armel Coussine
The old tube TV in my den or sitting room, a wide-screen Sony which works well as a rule, has taken to printing instant subtitles over everything, and I haven't succeeded in suppressing them.

Being a word person though, I can't help reading them. They are seldom complete rubbish and often quite amusing. Do they come from a machine, or a very manic person? Machine I think, judging by the sort of mistakes that make me chuckle from time to time.

Does anyone know I wonder?
 Subtitles - No FM2R
Depends; If you are watching the news or similar, then it is a machine. If you are watching a significant film, then it is usually a person.
Thanks FMR.

'News or similar' more often than not. That explains it.

Watched an old movie the other night in French and English. Many of the subtitles in both languages were garbage.

Where do they find these people? California I'm afraid. Tchah raaaaaas!
 Subtitles - No FM2R
>>Many of the subtitles in both languages were garbage

Sometimes its because of slang and colloquialisms, sometimes because the translators aren't always great.

But it can also often be because of differing censorship rules between countries, also because of different sensitivities to different words, curses or insults.

Overall though, the standard is pretty low, I agree.
 Subtitles - smokie
I sometimes watch the likes of Sky News at the gym. They have the subtitles on and you are right, there are often some real howlers and I assume it is machine generated. However sometimes it stops, sort of back spaces a little then corrects itself, which I assume is a human taking control.
 Subtitles - rtj70
Like you Smokie, I watch the news at the gym and sometimes the subtitles are funny. Sometimes really funny.

Movies are done in advance but the live programmes either use a computer or sometimes a stenographer. Because the stenographer uses phonetics they often get things wrong and they are often corrected.

AC I assume you know how to turn them off if needed? They were annoying at the gym when rugby was on and the score was constantly covered. So I used the infra-red on my phone to turn them off... and I did remember to put them back on later.
>> I assume you know how to turn them off

No! If I could, I would. They are a distraction.
 Subtitles - rtj70
What make/model of TV is it? Do you have the original remote or using an alternative?
It's a big old Sony flat screen tube that weighs about 100 tons.

No idea whether the remote(s) are original.

There are some youths here who ought to be good at this sort of thing, but they're away at the moment.

Not the end of the world of course, just a bit of a pain.
 Subtitles - No FM2R
Unless its driving you nuts, I'd ignore it until youthful return.

If you insist, it'll be something like pressing menu / setup / CC / off.
 Subtitles - Dog
Look for the 'sub' button on the remote control.
 Subtitles - Manatee
I have a newish Sony that uses four dots .... as the symbol on the subtitle button; and a Panasonic that has one labelled STTL. Yet another, older, Sony digital TV has it buried in the MENU somewhere.

However - I suspect your Sony TV is non-digital, therefore you must be using some sort of digibox or PVR, and it is that which will be controlling the subtitles. Look on the remote for that.
None of the remotes has a sub button.

Infamy! Infamy! etc.
 Subtitles - Dog
>>None of the remotes has a sub button.

I'm a'thinking of my Humax remote. My Panasonic subtitle button is 'STTL'.
 Subtitles - Ian (Cape Town)
>> None of the remotes has a sub button.
>>
>> Infamy! Infamy! etc.
>>

Rank stupidity
 Subtitles - smokie
Sky are at the Conservative Party conference and said shortly we'll be speaking to "just Dean Greening" on the subtitle - quickly corrected, so there must a be a humanoid monitoring what the machine spurts out.
 Subtitles - Slidingpillar
Sky are at the Conservative Party conference and said shortly we'll be speaking to "just Dean Greening" on the subtitle - quickly corrected, so there must a be a humanoid monitoring what the machine spurts out.

Almost certainly they are using the technique pioneered by the BBC. The text is generated by the operator re-speaking and then a speech recognition (usually two operators in turns) and they have a keyboard and can correct the text. Usually though, the error is best left as the deaf will would out what it should be and correction often leads to lost text as they are then too far behind actuality.

Technique is at least 12 years old, probably far older as it was getting pretty common when I saw a demo.
Last edited by: Slidingpillar on Wed 5 Oct 16 at 13:36
I like foreign films with subtitles.
(Das Boot was very well dubbed, though.)

Including, of course, Untergang.
It wouldn't work as well if it were dubbed.

Having said that, Bruno Graz is now starring as the grandfather in Heidi.
Imagine... "YOU HAVE BURNED THE CHEESE! OUT CHASING GOATS ALL DAY WITH THAT b****** PETER!"

Last edited by: Ian (Cape Town) on Tue 6 Sep 16 at 18:20
 Subtitles - CGNorwich
My Sony remote control has a button for subtitles. It's near the top left hand corner and has a picture of a screen with a row of dots along the bottom.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Tue 6 Sep 16 at 18:31
I remember when Rab C Nesbit came with subtitles
I've tried everything CGN, with all the remotes. Nothing will get rid of the subtitles. I just have to live with them.
 Subtitles - No FM2R
What are you watching, AC?

Sky satellite, Freeview, something else?
Whatever I watch, BBC1 and 2, everything, I still get the damn subtitles.

There's a satellite dish outside. Perhaps everything comes through that. I wouldn't know.
 Subtitles - Dog
>>There's a satellite dish outside. Perhaps everything comes through that. I wouldn't know.

Mr Magoo?

:o}
 Subtitles - CGNorwich
It"ll be there somewhere. You must have hit the button by accident. It toggles the subtitles on and off.
 Subtitles - No FM2R
You have a set top box. it will be a Sky Box, a Freeview box, a BT Box or something similar. It'll be written on the box, perhaps on the remote also.

If you can say which then we have chance of telling you which buttons to press.
 Subtitles - Manatee
>>You have a set top box

...but not necessarily on top of the set:)

Difficult to balance them on these new-fangled flat panels.
 Subtitles - sherlock47
If you have a Sky Box (various diifferent versions) you can find the option to turn on/off generally in the set up options menu. Not necessarily on the control?

Some possible clues here
www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/anyone-know-how-to-turn-subtitles-off-on-sky.929427/

Some American sat boxes may call them 'cl;sed captions' just to confuse you further!
Last edited by: sherlock47 on Tue 6 Sep 16 at 20:02
 Subtitles - Slidingpillar
Any digital TV should do, or not, as is your choice, subtitles. The symbol on the remote varies from make to make, there is no standard.

There are three basic types of subtitled programme. The first is those subtitled live with a stenography machine and a trained operator. Very expensive, it's a rare skill and can be as much as £300 per hour per person! The second is re-speaking the words into a computer that voice recognises. Both methods are prone to general sound-alike mistakes, homophones. The deaf generally cope well with these, and would much rather the operator carried on, and not go back and then lose stuff later with time pressure.

Lastly, and usually perfect are those programmes which are not subtitled live, so there is time to adjust spellings etc and do a much better job.

Closed captions can be turned on or off, open captions can't and are there regardless. It's a technical term as much as anything although the term closed captions was popular in the states and could be carried on normal VHS tape. (Long boring story resisted).
Last edited by: Slidingpillar on Tue 6 Sep 16 at 21:23
I did manage to suppress the subtitles last night. I just hope they won't come back.
 Subtitles - Cliff Pope
This is like the control tower teaching a novice flyer how to land after the real pilot has died.

Safely down to earth again DG
 Subtitles - VxFan
>> I did manage to suppress the subtitles last night. I just hope they won't come back.

Can you not just stick some gaffer tape across the bottom part of the screen to stop you seeing the subtitles ;)
 Subtitles - No FM2R
Actually you could stick some across the bottom of your glasses, and then it'd stop you seeing them on any television in case someone else has them on by mistake.
 Subtitles - sherlock47

>>>Can you not just stick some gaffer tape across the bottom part of the screen<<<

It also has the advantage of udating your old 4:3 crt to 16:9 :)
 Subtitles - martin aston
Like others I see these in the gym with mistypes and all. Funniest was "Canada Daffy" (Colonel Gadaffi).

What irks me is BBC News and BBC 1 or 2 often have the same news programmes during the day and the "live" subtitles are always different. So two expensive operatives are employed to do the same work at the same time. Over a year thats a lot of waste.
 Subtitles - BrianByPass

>> So two expensive
>> operatives are employed to do the same work at the same time. Over a year
>> thats a lot of waste.
>>

Two expensive computers are employed to do the same work at the same time.
 Subtitles - CGNorwich
BBC 2 computer is programmed to use words with more than one syllable.
 Subtitles - Roger.
I use subtitles a lot.
For example I'm just going to watch NCIS. S14. E03 with subtitles from www.addic7ed.com/.
Saves wearing headphones, or disturbing my wife with LOUD soundtrack, after she's retired to bed. (She has hearing akin to that of a bat).
Latest Forum Posts