Non-motoring > The Ox. A flat pack truck. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 8

The Ox. A flat pack truck. - henry k
An interesting idea.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_and_audio/headlines/37285399
 The Ox. A flat pack truck. - rtj70
With his engineering mind you'd think he'd make something more exciting.

Seriously, this could be good for developing countries - ship a load of flat pack trucks on a lorry instead of fully assembled ones.

Nothing much has come from his small call (Murray T25?)
 The Ox. A flat pack truck. - John Boy
What happened to that small vehicle for the 3rd World which was designed with a wooden chassis and wheels far enough apart to fit in the ruts left by lorries?
 The Ox. A flat pack truck. - Mapmaker
Nothing new under the sun.

www.warhistoryonline.com/military-vehicle-news/jeep-crate-for-50.html
 The Ox. A flat pack truck. - Dulwich Estate II
"Seriously, this could be good for developing countries - ship a load of flat pack trucks on a lorry instead of fully assembled ones."

A slightly dfferent take on this is the "CKD" concept used by The Ford Motor Company (and others no doubt) in UK some years back, 1970s maybe. To stimulate industry in a developing country they sent out "completely knocked down" cars in kit form for the locals to assemble themselves into complete cars.

I suppose the idea was that eventually they might build their own from scratch entirely - I have no idea how this progressed

The Ox. A flat pack truck. - mikeyb
Isn't that what MG are now doing?
 The Ox. A flat pack truck. - Slidingpillar
Plenty of others:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paykan
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindustan_Ambassador

are the first two that come to mind. Both started out as CKD kits but quite rapidly developed local content.

But there is nothing new, try the BMW 3/15 which is the earliest example I can think of starting in 1927. Bet somebody thinks of something older too.
 The Ox. A flat pack truck. - rtj70
So completely knocked down (CKD) and not cronic kidney disease (CKD) ?? :-)
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sun 11 Sep 16 at 23:21
 The Ox. A flat pack truck. - The Melting Snowman
>> What happened to that small vehicle for the 3rd World which was designed with a wooden chassis and wheels far enough apart to fit in the ruts left by lorries?

The infamous Africar. A google search will bring up plenty of reading.
Latest Forum Posts