Non-motoring > Six years gone... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: WillDeBeest Replies: 108

Six years gone... - WillDeBeest
...Water through my hands.
Well, you can blame it on me,
Say I wasn't your kind of man.

In case anyone wondered - and the signs are that not many did - I've been taking an extended break from this place since the start of my holiday in July. I've now decided to make that break indefinite.

At its best this place has offered warmth, humour, informed debate, useful access to the wisdom of others and even - in that odd, internetty way - something like friendship. But times change, things pass and its best is behind it. And since nothing I say or do will bring that back, it's time for me to leave.

To those who've made it good - and that's been just about everyone at some point - thank you for the good parts. I expect I'll see some of you around. Goodbye.
 Six years gone... - CGNorwich
Goodbye WillDeBeest

youtu.be/rY0WxgSXdEE
 Six years gone... - Robin O'Reliant
We disagreed strongly over Brexit, but people do on such matters and I've always thought of you as an entertaining and informative poster on many issues so I'll be sorry to see you go.

Good luck to you.
 Six years gone... - Ian (Cape Town)
>> We disagreed strongly over Brexit, but people do on such matters

As an outsider, I thought the spleen vented here on the issue got pretty rough, and at times overly personal.
Let that be a lesson learned for the future.
 Six years gone... - sherlock47
Sorry to see you go, the IQ of the Forum continues to fall.

:)
 Six years gone... - Pat
the IQ of the Forum continues to fall

Well, thanks Sherlock.

Perhaps we can encourage people with a high IQ AND a modicum of good manners in their places.

Pat
 Six years gone... - BrianByPass
>> Sorry to see you go, the IQ of the Forum continues to fall.
>>
>> :)
>>

I didn't know this place was Car4IQ.

Have you thought about joining www.mensa.org.uk/guide-member-forums
 Six years gone... - VxFan
>> Sorry to see you go, the IQ of the Forum continues to fall.

I think it's just risen slightly ;)
 Six years gone... - BrianByPass

>> I expect I'll see some of you
>> around. Goodbye.
>>

Yes, the people moving from this playroom to the pub for grumpy old farts.
 Six years gone... - Cliff Pope
I'm sorry to see you go WdeB - one of the assets of the forum, in many way, if I may say so.
 Six years gone... - devonite
I Gnu this would happen - it's the start of the Wildebeest migration!
Last edited by: devonite on Tue 6 Sep 16 at 10:11
 Six years gone... - knowitall
>> I Gnu this would happen - it's the start of the Wildebeest migration!

And cow poo everywhere.

Although I don’t wish to contribute to this forum any more, As my post in technical sparked this off, I feel it is incumbent upon me to lay down some facts and reasons behind the new forum.

Firstly, It was never my intention to provoke this by my post in Technical. I did have a genuine query on behalf of my son, I respect the knowledge and advice of one who frequents the technical area, and he kindly responded. Ok It was an answer I didn’t want to hear, but such is life ;)

As an afterthought, I put the url of the website I now frequent in my profile page in case someone wanted to find out where I had gone. The assumption being that only those who really wanted to would notice. As it happens the URL was wrong and didn’t work.

And then Duncan fixed it

And then… well this little lot.

Why the new website? Well Humph, Mark and I were idly chatting and we wanted a place to chat, gossip, joke and muck about, like a virtual pub.
In truth this place had become toxic and a bit poisoned, but mostly we all agreed we disliked the forum software itself. The way its set up, its rigid inflexibility, its lack of rich features, and the fact it has not, as promised, been developed.

We discussed, and dismissed Facebook as a medium, and came up with a free provider of fora. So we set it up. It was never set up as a rival, we never set out to poach members, it was somewhere new, a fresh start, and if we people we had joked with in the past rocked up, all the better. Mumsnet for Dads was the kind of goal. Of course the odd email went around, as it would, this is the age of the internet after all.

It was set up with a slightly different moderation policy. Admin is the main moderator, and he (yes its a he - sorry) the chairman of a committee, He sets the tone, rules and direction of the site and acts upon the direction of the committee. Admin does not post or take part in discussion on the board, outside his remit of board policy, moderation, running, membership etc. He wont get embroiled in any arguments or discussion so can’t act out of malice or spite.

So there you had it, and then it was all slowly tootling along, and then, well this happened.

I am, to put it mildly, shocked and surprised by the vitriolic attack that then erupted form one source. Completely groundless, childish, petulant and personal in the extreme. There is a phrase “the recruiting sergeant of terrorists” - a person that drives people to the arms of others, and boy is that appropriate in this case.

I’ll not post the link, its here already (thanks Duncan) you are all of course welcome to use the new pub as well as the old pub, and I hope you will frequent both.

Me? well You know where I am, if you don’t like me you will avoid the place, if you can tolerate me you might pop over.

The only time I will be on this forum is if I need technical advice. Shamelessly selfish I know, but there you go.

An addendum. This is posted under an alias, of my alias, as today my login was rejected. I have now been officially thrown out and banned from this pub.

Not sure therefore if this post will remain for too long.
 Six years gone... - No FM2R
>as today my login was rejected

How ridiculously petty. Pointless and ineffective as well, but mostly petty.
 Six years gone... - knowitall
And Duncans link has been removed. I can understand that, it is forum policy, and advisable for what is, after all, a commercial operation.
 Six years gone... - Bromptonaut
Can I ask the Mods not to delete Zero's post above. It simply sets out some facts and views, no controversy and no link to new place (which in any event is not really a rival site)
 Six years gone... - Ambo
What place exactly? Some alterative to this site and HJ?
 Six years gone... - rtj70
Yes. You'll find a few from here posting there as well as here.
 Six years gone... - Ambo
>>Yes. You'll find a few from here posting there as well as here.

So what is it called please?
My email address is in my profile. If anybody wishes to know where the other forum is, then feel free to email me.

Its not really appropriate or courteous to post it here.
 Six years gone... - Duncan
I really don't understand the backbiting that has gone on. Someone has started a new forum, some people post there as well as here. So What?

I will let you into a really, really big secret. Ok? Right, well, I have an account on piston heads as well as here!!!!

There, I've said it.
>> really big secret. Ok? Right, well, I have an account on piston heads as well as here!!!!

You need to be banned immediately then. Go on the naughty step too. How could you do such a thing! :-)

I have a logon to a VW forum too - not posted in ages and ages because I got all my questions answered years ago.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 6 Sep 16 at 11:27
 Six years gone... - Dog
I'm a registered member of a Dog forum - no surprise in that really is there.

Dog.
>> Can I ask the Mods not to delete Zero's post above.

No reason to.
>> >> Can I ask the Mods not to delete Zero's post above.
>>
>> No reason to.
>>

But reason to block his login?
>> But reason to block his login?

It hasn't been blocked. Still, he could (and has) used one of his many other aliases to post instead.

So much for flouncing. He remained here under another username after saying "I'm outa here"
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 6 Sep 16 at 13:39
 Six years gone... - smokie
I don't really understand what could have been done differently. And, as someone has said, if the same characters act in the same way, and discussion is allowed to flow freely in the new environment as it is here, I don't see how the ultimate outcome of any new forum will be any different. Of course, if some people are not included in the new forum, for whatever reason, (and that could be that they simply no longer want to the company of some of the new forum members) then the new forum starts off with a different dynamic. Whatever... :-)

Anyway, to get to my point...if I kept the records which some here keep, I would be able to point to many many instances where I've tried to stop bullying and requested respect and toleration. I'm sure some of you would remember any of the more recent instances.

The "ultimate sanction" in a moderators toolkit is to bar someone from the site, which has never been done here, to my knowledge. And yet today, when people think that one person may have been barred, the assumed "decision" is being questioned....

As Dave (for Cliff's benefit, that's VxFan :-) ) said - damned if you do, damned if you don't...
I have never taken any part in any of this anger, back-biting, etc that is supposed to go on here, and most of it just seems to have washed past me, unawares. Some people have seemed very rude and disrespectful sometimes, some people have worked themselves up into a flounce from time to time, but it's all been beyond me, or beneath me perhaps.

The only irritating thing, which I have pointed out from time to time, is the off-putting insider clique impression given by some users refering to others by their first names or other nicknames, as if to set up a barrier. may be that's not the intention, but it's been asked what puts off potential new members, and that is one.

Another is the occasional feeling that things are happening behind the scenes which ordinary members are not told about. here's a case in point:
>> Can I ask the Mods not to delete Zero's post above.
Zero vanished in mysterious circumstances a few months ago. Now it seems he has made a reappearance as "Knowitall". An appropriate soubriquet, some might say.

Now some people are frequenting a new pub, the Remainers Arms. I'm not inclined to try and find out where it is. No one has written up any good reviews of it so far, and I don't think I have the necessary capacity for anger and recrimination it appears to require.
I am guessing there will end up being a split 50:50 (or 52:48?) between here and there. With some sat in the middle actually posting on both.

I wonder how many active users this site needs for the ads to pay the way of the site?
 Six years gone... - car4play
>> I wonder how many active users this site needs for the ads to pay the way of the site?

Did you not read my post to you in the other thread?
Not yet.
I've just poked my nose in out of curiosity! - there's a few recognizable faces, but it's quiet for a Tuesday afternoon! - more like a "lonely Heart's" club! ;-) - but I may keep popping in for an odd one now and then! old Zero was a mine of usefull info!
 Six years gone... - Pat
Can I nominate Cliff Pope's post as the best yet of 2016 please!

Pat
>> In truth this place had become toxic and a bit poisoned

Well you've only got some of the contributors to blame for that.

And it's no good moaning that we don't moderate enough, blah blah blah. We adopted a less strict approach to it here than the other place because that's what the contributors wanted. We thought that adults could behave like adults. How wrong we were.

Damned if we do, damned if we don't.

VxF.
 Six years gone... - CGNorwich
Now that you acknowledge that a minimal moderation policy was a a failure I suggest that you somewhat belatedly do a little more in the way of deleting abusive and insulting posts.

Six years gone... - Ambo
Now seen the new site. Not up to to much, is it?
So don't go. Its not compulsory.

Why would anyone go to any internet site they didn't like?
Like I said,

Damned if we do, damned if we don't.
Agree completely.
It's a delicate balance for mods and an thankless task. But in a funny way now that most of the antagonists have their own place the mods can afford to be tougher.
>> the mods can afford to be tougher.

Really? That seems kind of counter intuitive. If all these troublemakers have now left, why would the moderation need to be tougher?

Surely it would not only be able to be more gentle, it will need to be be to encourage new members?

The truth is, it is neither tougher nor softer which is required. Consistent and appropriate is what is needed. Always. Perhaps that might be a better goal?

No point in having a rule which is not enforced. Like with our children, if one isn't going to insist a rule is followed, it is better not to have that rule and to avoid accusations and perceptions of inconsistency and/or impotence.
Because when there was no where else to go there is some responsibility in trying to be conciliatory with everyone - no matter how difficult they are. After all I set this place up because you guys had no where to go...

But if a user's objective is to mouth off here and be heard for their greatness and there is an alternate place they feel more comfortable in, then the natural response is "do it over there - not here".

That might look like tougher moderation.

>> Because when there was no where else to go there is some responsibility in trying
>> to be conciliatory with everyone - no matter how difficult they are.

I understand that, but I don't agree. Still, its a point of view.

>> After all I set this place up because you guys had no where to go...

Not me, I wasn't here. But no doubt those that were appreciate it.

>> But if a user's objective is to mouth off here and be heard for their
>> greatness and there is an alternate place they feel more comfortable in, then the natural
>> response is "do it over there - not here".

It depends really. Its not difficult to stop a particular behaviour, it just needs consistent addressing. But I'm quite sure you know that. It really is no different to parenting.

The best behaviour is normally seen in children with the best behaving parents. And vice versa, of course.
 Six years gone... - Pat
>>Really? That seems kind of counter intuitive. If all these troublemakers have now left, why would the moderation need to be tougher?
<<

Not really, when you have a group of people pushing the limits because they can, and throwing down the gauntlet for moderation because they have the knowledge to get around any ban and make a mods life a misery, it's often easier to let it slide.

I've been in that situation on our forums many years ago, however I did learn in the long run that they got tired before I did and we're all still around our forums some years later, but they are not.

From what I can see we have left the sensible, pragmatic members prepared to put forward a good discussion....politely without resorting to insults so maybe VX's red pen will be able to take a rest just like mine has done over recent years!

Pat
>>From what I can see we have left the sensible, pragmatic members prepared to put forward a good discussion..

Then I really don't understand your bitterness and vitriol. Surely you have what you want?

And since I am still here, I thank you for the compliment. Who knew.
 Six years gone... - Pat
>> your bitterness and vitriol<<

You think this is what it is:)

This is calm, as opposed to your exaggeration.

You seriously underestimate me.

I'm just going to sit in my Zen garden with my pendulum and some pins!

Dog will understand!

Pat

Six years gone... - Crankcase

>> I'm just going to sit in my Zen garden with my pendulum and some pins!

Crikey Pat, you're not going to swing for him, surely?
 Six years gone... - Pat
I'm more subtle than that:)

A man never got me in that state yet, and I'm not going to let one now!

Now that may be a lie.....We're off down to Lands End at the end of September and have rented a cottage with a heavy wooden kitchen table that hangs from the roof on chains.

My sense of adventure is working overtime but will the bones let me?:)

Pat
You thinking of the kitchen table in a Mary Berry way or a Zac Efron way? (tinyurl.com/jmulfgg)
Last edited by: smokie on Tue 6 Sep 16 at 14:39
 Six years gone... - Pat
Something like that!

It may be hard to get the rhythm right!

Pat
Last edited by: Pat on Tue 6 Sep 16 at 14:42
 Six years gone... - Dog
>>I'm just going to sit in my Zen garden with my pendulum and some pins!

"ve geburah, ve gedulah" .. works for me every time ;)
 Six years gone... - Armel Coussine
I am bewildered by the alleged backbiting and rudeness that seem to upset some people but not others.

At prep school I once had to write 100 lines: 'I can be funny without being rude'.

It's a bit like prep school here sometimes. I quite like that.
>> It's a bit like prep school here sometimes. I quite like that.

I mostly like your posts AC. Some baffle me. But you've lived a good life and have some interesting stories to tell. Keep it up :-)
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 6 Sep 16 at 13:44
>>At prep school I once had to write 100 lines: 'I can be funny without being rude'.

Been there.

I don't suppose you can remember what you did or said?
He's a bit old to remember - although AC still seems pretty sharp. Can I ask how old you are AC? You seem to have done so much in life.
 Six years gone... - Lygonos
Older brother got the tawse* when he was about 8 or 9 after changing the word of a hymn "God" to "Dog" on the blackboard.

Pretty much guaranteed his future atheism.

*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tawse
>>got the tawse*

A 5ft bamboo cane in my school. The one time it happened to me the pain was quite unbelievable.

>>A 5ft bamboo cane in my school. The one time it happened to me the pain was quite unbelievable.

Something like this?....

tinyurl.com/NoFM2R-skool-daze
Frankly the headmaster looked a bit like that as well, though he also suffered from short-man syndrome.
>> Frankly the headmaster looked a bit like that as well, though he also suffered from
>> short-man syndrome.
>>
My Guv'nor was a 6'6" squash player.
You did not want that!
>> >> Frankly the headmaster looked a bit like that as well, though he also suffered
>> from
>> >> short-man syndrome.
>> >>
>> My Guv'nor was a 6'6" squash player.
>> You did not want that!
>>

Dear God, no!!
>> >> >> Frankly the headmaster looked a bit like that as well, though he also
>> suffered
>> >> from
>> >> >> short-man syndrome.
>> >> >>
>> >> My Guv'nor was a 6'6" squash player.
>> >> You did not want that!
>> >>
>>
>> Dear God, no!!
>>

Actually a good chap, who had the pupil's best interests at heart.
The phrase 'this'll hurt me more than it will hurt you' could have applied to him. He was concerned.
I only ever saw him riled once - another local school had a 'careers evening', to which various companies, military organisations, universities etc came along on a recruitment mission. Some 'lads' decided that rather than get some advice, they'd tear up the rugby pitch with some severe revving of their motorcycles.
They got caught.
the next day, the entire senior year were summoned to the hall, and the miscreants were named and shamed in front of their peers by a puce-faced headmaster.
A damn good thrashing followed, plus some serious reduction in privileges, stripping of honours, booted off sports teams etc etc
No testimonials forthcoming.
>> the pain was quite unbelievable

It soon died down though. Trouble with the cane was that it would cut you, even through your trousers.
It left huge welts which took a long time to go.

It was a very shocking experience and ultimately the reason I was expelled.
>> huge welts which took a long time to go

I was beaten three times in the last week of term once - four from the Head's heavy black hairbrush, and a three and a six from the ex-commando deputy head's cane.

My parents were appalled by the cuts and bruises, and I had to beg them not to complain, saying that it would only make everything worse next term.

'Happy days'? Not always.
I am just 78 rtj.
 Six years gone... - Ambo
>> A 5ft bamboo cane in my school.

Ah, yes, the cane - Britain's great contribution to education technology.
 Six years gone... - Robin O'Reliant
>>
>>
>> Ah, yes, the cane - Britain's great contribution to education technology.
>>

It did actually make a great contribution to one's education. You soon learned what vicious dictatorial thugs some people turned into when they got a bit of authority. Some arbitrary wallopings gave me a lifelong distrust of those in charge, particularly the so called religious types who were the worst of the lot.

Nuns in particular, demented man haters who took their frustration out on little boys.
100% agree with R o'R.

It teaches that to hit is ok if you have authority. And it teaches that to both the victim and the perpetrator.

All that crap about teaching respect, is just that; crap. It taught fear, bitterness and the advantages of the abuse of power.

It's as much rubbish as that apocryphal garbage about the local copper and the clip around the ear. I come from that world. If a copper had clipped me or my father round the ear, then my Grandfather and Great Uncles would have beating s*** out of said copper.

As I or my cousins would do these days.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Thu 8 Sep 16 at 15:33
 Six years gone... - commerdriver
>> Older brother got the tawse*
>>

Posh word for it doc, everybody I knew or was at school with in the 60s &70s in Glasgow just referred to it as the belt. Even the teachers in those days called it the belt.

Yes I was on the receiving end a time or ten.
>>Posh word for it doc

Aye, we called it the belt as well, although it was banned around 1981.

My old man referred to it as the 'strap' although he was schooled in the 40s and early 50s.
And respect went with it!
As a boarder at a minor public school from 67 - 74 we had more than our fair of physical punishment. In the dormitories, prefects and monitors were allowed to slipper you with plimsolls, and some had a technique which was excruciatingly painful. Being slippered was, for some, a really frequent experience (at least three times a week I'd say).

For other offences the teachers could report you to the Head or your Housemaster, both of which could (and did, in my case) cane you.

Then of course there was the informal bullying which lasted from about age 11 to maybe 13/14 - like being lashed with webbing army belts, thrown into holly bushes and nettle beds, propelled down the long stone spiral staircase inside a laundry basket etc etc.

It was a positive relief when you only got a 30 minute quad-walk (where you had to walk round the quad at a particular speed in silence, and avoid anyone trying to goad you), or sides, where you had to copy words using absolutely perfect handwriting - took about an hour, and if you writing didn't reach, or went over, the dotted lines at any point you got another set - or best of all , but most rarely, a pink paper, which was a two page essay on the subject of the prefect's choosing.

All very character building...

The odd thing about the school is that other than a couple of rather effeminate teachers I wasn't aware of any "same sex relationships" (but then I would say that wouldn't I... LOL)
I taught, briefly and badly, at a private day school in Streatham back in the 60s/70s. It was called a 'Grammar School' but wasn't worthy of the name. Seveal of the boys in my class were pleasant fellows, and I didn't mind them calling me 'Gyppo' because of my foreign mug. But I had to teach them all subjects, not just the English and French I was more or less qualified to teach. It was an awful place.

One day a boy in my class broke a narrow bit of wood off the front of his desk lid. I beat him with it, not very hard, but he was extremely indignant. I hadn't understood how much things had changed in the 15 or 20 years since I had left school.

The deputy head of that place was a small, furious man with a skull-like face, very like 'Chalkie' in the Giles cartoons if anyone remembers those. Hearing a clamour from my class one day he stormed in, took against the facial expression of a boy in the front row and slapped him around with great violence. I was very offended.

The school depressed me so much that I took to getting drunk with the gardener in lunch hour.
 Six years gone... - Dog
Mr *Preston at the comprehensive school I went to (William Penn in Dulwich) used to feel your bum before giving you the cane. Course, I realise now he was making sure you didn't have a couple of textbooks down your trousers ... I used to wear my Levis under my school trousers if I knew I was in for a caning.

*We uesd to call him bummer Preston :)
We had a teacher that was called 'dap man'. We'd call plimsols 'daps' in Wales. So he basically had the sole of a plimsol hanging out of his pocket. If he didn't like something/someone he'd just lash out!

Could you do that in school now I wonder ;-) I somehow think he'd get into trouble.

The teacher that was wound up by a pupil in the PE class so much that he snapped and beat up the pupil (he deserved it to be honest) didn't get into too much trouble back then. But we did all wade in to stop him pretty quickly!
I'm not a high achiever rtj, more an idle dilettante. I've been fortunate in parentage and connections.
I think I had submitted something for the school magazine, but I can't remember what. I do seem to remember that the teacher concerned hadn't fully understood, although I knew I was pushing my luck. No doubt I had expressed myself badly. I was only 10!

Things were different in the forties. The war made everything more authoritarian and a bit brutal really.
>>
>>

>> Why the new website? Well Humph, Mark and I were idly chatting and we wanted
>> a place to chat, gossip, joke and muck about, like a virtual pub.
>> In truth this place had become toxic and a bit poisoned.

Very much like a pub can be.

Everyone has an opinion, of course. But as somebody who is 'on the coalface', I object to folk berating me about subjects which I work with every day, based upon their knowledge gleened from the newspapers.
Worse - and this is a motoring forum - I dislike it when folk slag my opinion of motor cars I've actually driven. That is what it is, an opinion based on many years of motoring, and comparing, and driving and analysing for the press.
Like the pub bores who will argue the toss about cars they've never seen in the flesh, let alone stepped into!
I've adopted a 'live and let live' approach. Over the years, here and on Hj, we've had some real characters. Growler, Armel, Meldrew and many others spring to mind.
Yes, their stories sound fanciful often. But then again, so do many of mine.
Unless it is pure BS, benefit of the doubt is granted, especially when the correspondents' other posts show that they have lived a very varied and exciting, well-travelled life.

Car4Play... a passion for motoring.

Very little of that going on, is there?

maybe a dozen posts in the motoring section in the past few days.
Time for re-evaluation?
Like the HJ forums (to his annoyance I am sure) the forums were hijacked for want of a better word by people wanting to chat. And not about cars. Hence the massive thread drift that was allowed to happen... Indeed I think some wanted to see how far off topic we could get at times. Sort of word association.

This forum is not really motoring related. This site is still lacking the important bit which is something other than a plain old forum. Will it ever happen? Only Stephen knows - But there's an important business being run there and this is low down on priorities surely.

I know there was an attempt to get us to come up with ideas but we had to agree to terms to participate... so I kept my ideas to myself in case I have time in the future to do something worthwhile with them.
Like many dedicated topics, there's only so much can be said! pretty soon most things get covered then repetition sets in. I think it's a good idea that slight thread drift is allowed, it sparks conversations that wouldn't take place otherwise, it keeps it interesting! Often there is somebody that kicks things back into line and that is fine. I like this "looser" kind of moderation.

Just for a bit of "Devilment" should we point the Fluffy-one in their direction as well? ;-)
Last edited by: devonite on Tue 6 Sep 16 at 15:10
 Six years gone... - Pat
Noooo, we want Fluffy!

Pat
Already there I'm afraid. I'm sure they will still post here.
 Six years gone... - legacylad
I am fluffy
I was once Ling but got into trouble.

Nice try. Don't be Ben-Hur because the new movie isn't very good. Stick to Spartacus maybe.

Regret not getting the X5? I hope not. Wait for the fight 3 series tourer with panoramic roof is what you know is right.
It is surely pretty simple, and much like running a pub;

There is a style that suits people you would like to be your customer and a style that does not.

There is a style of person you wish to be your customer, and a style that you do not.

So you run a pub in a way that you think will fit your preferred style of customer and that will not encourage the style you do not want.

Your potential customers are free to chose any pub, and any number of pubs.

If you get it right, then you will have plenty of customers, if not, then not.

There is no right or wrong, no whining about loyalty and no amount of churlish comment will make any positive difference.

If you're right Pat, then C4P will flourish. If not, then not. Its all finger in a bucket of water stuff anyway.

And whatever happens, there is little point in blaming your customers either for their presence or their absence.

Things will work out how they work out. Plenty of room for everybody.

Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 6 Sep 16 at 15:17
>> Just for a bit of "Devilment" should we point the Fluffy-one in their direction as
>> well? ;-)
>>

Did you ever experience 'LadasAreCool', the pink Chieftain tank and perpetual motion?
No, - but I like people like that! - they bring fun!"
>> Like the HJ forums (to his annoyance I am sure) the forums were hijacked for
>> want of a better word by people wanting to chat. And not about cars. Hence
>> the massive thread drift that was allowed to happen... Indeed I think some wanted to
>> see how far off topic we could get at times. Sort of word association.

Within reason, it became a free-for-all about other things, but only on certain occasions. A bit like 'Just a Minute'. Yes, we spoke Rugby in 2003 (Austin Healy, Bakkies Botha, I recall!) but the 'tentative motoring links' were amusing.

As stated above, I've been amazed at the vitriol over brexit here.
You lads want to come and live in a place where 'democracy' involved tens of thousands killed, some pretty nasty stuff from all sides, and a bunch of corrupt cadres stiffing a nation.
That'll make brexit look lie a picnic.
Roll up sleeves, get on with it.
>>As stated above, I've been amazed at the vitriol over brexit here.

Wasn't that true of all social media sites? FB went mental. I could understand that response from teenagers there, but with mature adults here - well that was a surprise.

Regardless it's fact that anyone who voted for Brexit MUST be an arrogant, xenophobic, racist pig.
/s

>> That'll make brexit look lie a picnic
I recall someone from South Africa who moved to somewhere here up north and was amazed that the top local news story was that the milk had got stolen from someone's front door.
(This was in the days of milk deliveries of course)

>> Regardless it's fact that anyone who voted for Brexit MUST be an arrogant, xenophobic, racist pig.

Not all Leave voters are arrogant, xenophobic, racist pigs of course. Some are perfectly sensible, normal, intelligent human beings.

But all arrogant, xenophobic, racist pigs are Leave voters.

The evidence is here. Of both.
 Six years gone... - Slidingpillar
But all arrogant, xenophobic, racist pigs are Leave voters.

Could do with a wagging finger smiley here.

Although it's a reasonable assumption, that anyone who is xenophobic (hates little green men...) and racist is in the leave camp, the stay camp had a huge amount of the arrogant voters. Many of the stay camp were belittling the intelligence of the leave camp - and if that is not defining arrogance - I'm better then you etc - hard to see what is better.
As I said somewhere yesterday, I reckon only about 20% of either side had any real world idea of what was going on.

Isn't that a standard for most polls?
Sadly, I suspect so.

The less people know, the more they believe they know.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 6 Sep 16 at 18:16
 Six years gone... - Manatee

>> The less people know, the more they believe they know.

The less they know, the more unknown unknowns, the more they believe they know. Logical.

Some people who are remarkably successful in life achieve it unencumbered by excess knowledge or curiosity.
Too much Reddit for me.

the /s after my comment "anyone who voted for Brexit MUST be an arrogant, xenophobic, racist pig" means sarcasm (In case anyone missed it)
Last edited by: car4play on Tue 6 Sep 16 at 17:08
I did wonder what /s was. I don't do Reddit.
Oh, I thought it was some kind of signature.
 Six years gone... - Slidingpillar
Ditto, or some kind of an error.

Don't do twitter (for twits), facebook, reddit etc
Last edited by: Slidingpillar on Tue 6 Sep 16 at 18:14
 Six years gone... - Dog
My curiosity got the better of me, so I had a looksee at reddit and found it quite interesting:

www.reddit.com/
 Six years gone... - Roger.
I thought "reddit" was the sound a frog makes.
 Six years gone... - Dog
This is the troof, so help me God ... Wifey just took the dog outside to, um, water the flowers. She reckons there's a frog right outside the door and he just kept purrfectly still so as not to be noticed by Gnasher ... One smart frog!
This Frog...got an onion necklace ?
We've got a frog outside somewhere too. Quite big. No idea where it came from since there's no pool of water. Maybe it hopped over from someone with a pond.

We also found one a few years ago. Could be the same one. 'Stepped' on it in the cellar. It got in when the door was left open. I did it no harm and got it out.
 Six years gone... - Dog
>>This Frog...got an onion necklace ?

Now, now, lets be pleasant to our Frankish friends, being we're still in 'the union' two months on from you-know-what.

I reckon my frog/toad has been here since we moved in because I see him (or her) on a regular basis.
In fact, there's been a frog or toad at every property we've lived in since we came to Cornwall.

I've often wondered if it/they were some sort of familiar (noun)

(*_*)
 Six years gone... - Stuartli
You were toad that there were frogs in Cornwall - in fact wherever you go in the UK....:-)
If someone is no longer going to contribute to something, for instance this website, why do you announce it?
Plenty of pubs, shops, eating places where I've had rotten service and won't ever return, but I don't tell them when I'm going out the door.
Seems a bit t***ish to me
Last edited by: legacylad on Wed 7 Sep 16 at 21:00
 Six years gone... - The Melting Snowman
Some sort of ego thing I suspect. Far more fun when we have a 'drama queen' exit.
>> Far more fun when we have a 'drama
>> queen' exit.
>>

I was just comparing that in my mind with the kind of exit made by a melting snowman :)
Latest Forum Posts