Non-motoring > Child Dies In Blue Cheese E.coli Outbreak Miscellaneous
Thread Author: rtj70 Replies: 67

Child Dies In Blue Cheese E.coli Outbreak - rtj70
.... watch out for dangerous blue cheese. I know this incident has passed but I'd have never thought a cheese could be so dangerous.

news.sky.com/story/child-dies-after-ecoli-outbreak-in-scotland-10566325
 Child Dies In Blue Cheese E.coli Outbreak - Armel Coussine
I ate some dangerous blue cheese earlier today, with no ill effects so far.

Life is boring if you don't take it in your hands from time to time. And boredom can kill more quickly than the, er, other thing.
 Child Dies In Blue Cheese E.coli Outbreak - CGNorwich
Dunsyre Blue is made from unpasteurised milk and so does present a greater danger than cheese made with pasteurised milk. Best to avoid giving such cheeses to young children
So the cheese was partly to blame in the sense it uses unpasteurised milk. Interesting and worth knowing.
 Child Dies In Blue Cheese E.coli Outbreak - Dog
Howls about the folk who drink raw milk then? .. I'd drink raw milk if I could get hold of the stuff.
Some people reckon it tastes better than pasteurised. Personally I wouldn't take the risk - see link. There again I doubt if I use more than a pint of milk of week - I never drink the stuff or add it to tea and coffee

www.fda.gov/Food/ResourcesForYou/Consumers/ucm079516.htm
An old article here about raw milk:
www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/3341324/Untreated-milk-is-in-demand.html

Farmer Chris Hall of St Levan, West Cornwall, says: "In Britain you are allowed to drink yourself silly and smoke carcinogenic fags, but you can't drink raw milk. It doesn't make sense."

"The risk of food poisoning from unpasteurised milk is very real," says a spokeswoman from the Food Standards Agency (FSA). "We particularly wouldn't recommend it for vulnerable people - the sick, infants and the elderly."
 Child Dies In Blue Cheese E.coli Outbreak - NortonES2
Sometimes I wonder whether people have seen milking in progress. It's not as aseptic as you might wish, given the proximity to the rear end of the cow!
>>It's not as aseptic as you might wish, given the proximity to the rear end of the cow!

New word for me!

>>given the proximity to the rear end of the cow!

I don't think that applies to the organic milk I drink.

8-)
 Child Dies In Blue Cheese E.coli Outbreak - sooty123
I used to drink a bit of it in the 90s, I didn't know it was illegal. Definitely does taste different, a slightly thicker taste if that makes sense.
It isn't illegal in Englanf though it can only be sold by farms direct to thr public. It is illegal to sell the stuff in Scotlang though.
That's where we got it from, straight from the farm. Don't live anywhere near cattle farms anymore so i can't get any more. pity lovely stuff.
As an aside don't you just love legalese? I found the relevant Canadian law banning the sale of unpasteurised milk

"No person shall sell the normal lacteal secretion obtained from the mammary gland of the cow, genus Bos, or of any other animal, or sell a dairy product made with any such secretion, unless the secretion or dairy product has been pasteurized by being held at a temperature and for a period that ensure the reduction of the alkaline phosphatase activity so as to meet the tolerances specified in official method MFO-3, Determination of Phosphatase Activity in Dairy Products, dated November 30 1981.
 Child Dies In Blue Cheese E.coli Outbreak - Manatee
We always had unpasteurised milk when I was a child, but we knew it was OK because it said "Tuberculin Tested" on the bottle.
Last edited by: Manatee on Mon 5 Sep 16 at 21:28
 Child Dies In Blue Cheese E.coli Outbreak - Robin O'Reliant
Whatever happened to sterilized milk? Vile tasting stuff that was just about bearable in tea or coffee but made you retch if you drunk it neat. It came in a funny shaped bottle. We used to use it in a factory I worked at in the seventies because it kept longer than regular milk. It always had a revolting bit of skin in the bottle which nobody wanted to get. Haven't seen it round for years.
Use to have a crown cap like a beer bottle. Made redundant by the invention of long life milk Which doesn't taste quite so bad.

Child Dies In Blue Cheese E.coli Outbreak - Crankcase
What choo talkin' about, Willis? When I were titchy and we used to visit my Nan, she always had bottles of sterilised milk. Had a beer bottle type top on a tall glass bottle, and it was the very nectar, I thought. My parents didn't agree, which I never understood, so we had dull old silver top at home.

These days my preference is UHT milk, which is much the same thing I guess, but doesn't taste the same as sterilised. God knows what they did to it.

Edit cross post with CG, who as ever made the same points much more succinctly.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Mon 5 Sep 16 at 21:40
I like succinct.

>>These days my preference is UHT milk,

Ug, can't stand the stuff. I'd rather have black tea or coffee if UHT was the only milk on offer.

My friend Lauri the leather crafsman used to only have condensed milk in his cottage.
God that stuff is even worse than UHT.
Lauri brought my brother and I a cup of tea up to our bedroom one Sunni morn.
It went straight out of the window as soon as he had gorn!
Ug, can't stand the stuff. I'd rather have black tea or coffee if UHT was
>> the only milk on offer.

Much the same for me, uht is awful stuff. Rather go without.
But you can make Dulce de Leche with condensed milk.
>>Whatever happened to sterilized milk

I woz brung up on that stuff, and Stork margarine. Probably explains why I'm so fit & strong today :(
Stork margarine. Crikey. The founder of that stuff went deaf in his later years. Apparently he couldn't tell talk from mutter.
 Child Dies In Blue Cheese E.coli Outbreak - VxFan
>> Howls about the folk who drink raw milk then?

Dad used to bring it home from the farm when he finished milking.

Never did me any harm, except the time I dropped the bottle on me foot.
 Child Dies In Blue Cheese E.coli Outbreak - Armel Coussine
My mother didn't trust tropical milk. So for some years I had 'evaporated' milk, watered down.

I still like it, evaporated I mean. And condensed, yum yum, sugar overdose yeeee-hah!
To this day I dislike milk if it's not mixed with anything. The reason is the horrible creamy warm small bottles of milk we got at school in the 70s. Yugh. No other reason. I was even one of the milk monitors. I used to manage to give it away now and then without the teacher seeing.

I'd forgotten how sweet Carnation condensed milk was until we did a recipe that had it as one of the ingredients. Wow sugar overload!
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 6 Sep 16 at 19:22
Ah . A fellow milk monitor. Did you take the foil lids off with a fork? The was a sort of a knack to it.
Who'd have a fork in the classroom? Did you take your own?

Really put me off drinking milk. If you gave me a class I would/could and I like milk shake and cereal. Cold obviously. The cream on top (thick) and it being warm made it unpleasant for me.

I don't know what the term would be, but we had a bus to school and in the older class there were two 'bus monitors' for a better term. We had to run around making sure when everyone had left the hall for the busses nobody was left in the lower and top school, yards, etc. Once got down the steps from the school year to the main road and the other chap had told my bus to go :-) Luckily it had to do a circuit of a housing estate before looping back. Only a few miles from home.

For comprehensive school it was a 20 mile journey each way for 7 years.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 6 Sep 16 at 19:42
About 300 of them in the dining hall You use the fork upside down and lever off the foil caps. You can do a whole crate before you clear the caps from the fork.

I'm not sure you were a proper milk monitor at all - you don't seem to have the basic skills :-)
And don't forget to insert the waxed paper straw.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Tue 6 Sep 16 at 20:03
>> Ah . A fellow milk monitor. Did you take the foil lids off with a
>> fork? The was a sort of a knack to it.
>>

We used to get those triangular plastic lined cardboard containers, holding about half pint or whatever they squeezed into one. They had a little tear off bit on one corner and it was virtually impossible to open one without spilling some of the contents down your front. They made great bombs if launched from an upstairs window though, resulting in one case of an irate cyclist storming into the head's office demanding the miscreants be found and slowly tortured before being put to death. We were in the only classroom from which it could have been thrown and when nobody answered the plea to "Be a man and own up" all thirty of us were caned.

Who ever said schooldays are the happiest days of your life must have led a miserable one after leaving.

>> I'd forgotten how sweet Carnation condensed milk was

Always used to be Nestles, pronounced Nestulls. Lovely in sandwiches, but not great for the teeth. The evaporated milk was usually Carnation, although I have seen the brand on condensed milk in recent years. They also do a squeezy tube. A pal of mine likes it in his coffee.

Sunday tea in the 50s/60s often featured tinned fruit, with either evaporated milk or 'Plumrose' tinned cream. All well past-yer-eyes-ed.

To the original topic, it is shocking that a child can die from eating cheese. Perhaps it is time to consider whether unpasteurised milk and cheese should be sold at all, given that antibiotic resistant strains of 0157 are widespread.
>>
>> >> I'd forgotten how sweet Carnation condensed milk was
>>
>> Always used to be Nestles, pronounced Nestulls. Lovely in sandwiches,

no doubt something over my head but milk in sandwiches?
Not for the first time Sooty, I am thinking you have led a sheltered life:)

The stuff we are talking about is very viscous. It will run out eventually if spread thickly, but it hangs around more than long enough to eat the sandwich.

Being choc-full of sugar, it probably isn't much different nutritionally from a jam sandwich, but with more fat and Vitamin D.

goo.gl/NNv0F2
I preferred a sugar sandwich but the very pinnacle of a snack was a buttered weetabix with jam. I grant you that they are a tad messy to eat.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Tue 6 Sep 16 at 20:08
Condensed milk sandwiches I had occasionally as a child, but found them a bit sweet for me. However, I have the makings of such in the kitchen right now.

I was tempted to go and try, but was then diverted by the buttered weetabix and jam comment. Now I never had that, but always enjoyed buttered weetabix and marmite very much. And I have the makings of that right now too.

Excuse me, there's some things I have to try.

Last edited by: Crankcase on Tue 6 Sep 16 at 20:22
>>I preferred a sugar sandwich

Same here. I'd come in and spread some Stork on a slice of Mothers Pride, then throw a spoonful of sugar on it.

Me ole mum used to call it buppy sugar :o)
>> Not for the first time Sooty, I am thinking you have led a sheltered life:)

Quite possibly and I admit of all the sandwich fillings I've ever thought of/tried/seen tinned milk isn't one of them!
>>of all the sandwich fillings I've ever thought of/tried/seen tinned milk isn't one of them!

It's pretty weird I suppose by today's mores. My daughter would be appalled at the idea of making one for her own daughter.

My parents were children in the 30s, and teenagers during the war. They were in their twenties before rationing stopped. Sugar was seen as desirable nutrition by people who had existed on minimal rations and knew it was a source of energy. We had cereal with sugar on, tea with two or three sugars was common, etc. Another common snack was a banana sandwich - with sugar on.

When I worked in Fine Fare as a teenager in the 60s, the little supermarket with only two tills went through full pallet of 2lb bags of sugar every week. A Tesco 20 times the size today doesn't have as much out on the shop floor.
That explains it, foods of a certain generation.
>> When I worked in Fine Fare as a teenager

Did Fine Fair become Dee which became Gateway which became Somerfield which is now the Co-Op?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fine_Fare
Fine Fare in my home town moved to a brand new purpose building when it became Dee. Like Aldi now you are expected to pack bags away from the till. But back then they were rapid in looking at price labels and keying it in. Today's till operators would struggle with the speed and accuracy!

Somerfield then ended up with two stores because they feared Tesco.... Ironically the smaller burned down and became something else and the larger is now an ASDA. There's an ALDI nearby and Tesco managed to barge in to the area and build on old unused land.

Progress?? I don't think so.
I used to go shopping with my friend Lauri the leather craftsman to Somerfield (now Sainsbury's) in Bodmin.
He was a well-known crank eccentric who used to speak to almost everyone in the supermarket.

Going shopping with him was an experience I shall never forget!!
Supermarkets can be great places to chat and network. I now use the fast self service/self scan at ours so I know the staff. When I started using them I kept getting selected at 'random' for checks on the shopping. Like every flipping time! Random my 'ar*e'. Probably 'cos I was one of the only ones using it.

Sorted itself out over a few weeks but annoying when it's meant to be quicker.
I don't 'do' supermarkets. My wife does all the shopping on Saturday morning. I used to do it all once a week in Safeway's, Hastings, in a previous life. I used to like going to Safeway's.

The Safeway's in Bodmin (I don't live in Bodmin btw) is now a Morrison's, which I don't like.
I do most of our shopping. We used to do home delivery but you used to sometimes get things coming up to out of date. We also couldn't plan ahead back then - teenagers!

But I started to pop in on the way home and get what we wanted.

b***** annoying that some aisles have been moved about. I had my shopping list planned according to the order of food stuff. Until I relearn about 4 aisles I keep having to double back or worse.... items now moved at random it seems! Why?

Rant over.
>>b***** annoying that some aisles have been moved about. I had my shopping list planned according to the order of food stuff. Until I relearn about 4 aisles I keep having to double back or worse.... items now moved at random it seems! Why?

Possibly so that other 'stuff' which you don't normally buy will catch your eye = £££.
 Child Dies In Blue Cheese E.coli Outbreak - Slidingpillar
Possibly so that other 'stuff' which you don't normally buy will catch your eye = £££

Almost certainly. The same reason in store bakeries are always at the furthest corner from the door. The smell of newly baked bread permeates the store and thus entices you right in. Or so the theory goes.

The modern habit of cleaning and spraying antiseptic on everything does lead to children with lower resistance to bugs. OK in a sterile environment, but the real world tends to bite back. And live cheese does taste nicer as well.
 Child Dies In Blue Cheese E.coli Outbreak - henry k
>>The modern habit of cleaning and spraying antiseptic on everything does lead to children with lower resistance to bugs.

My mother used to say "you will eat a peck of dirt before you die"
 Child Dies In Blue Cheese E.coli Outbreak - The Melting Snowman
A friend of the family used to work for one of the big supermarkets, managerial position partly in Head Office. He used to say there was definitely a plan concerning how shops were laid out. You are right about the bakery being at the back of the shop. Also fresh produce towards the front (usually entrance) and the more expensive products at eye-level on the shelf, with the cheaper alternatives lower down at the floor. That's all I can remember, probably more 'tricks' as well on the web. Presumably it's successful although when I think of the local Lidl, it doesn't really follow this pattern so closely.
>> A friend of the family used to work for one of the big supermarkets, managerial
>> position partly in Head Office. He used to say there was definitely a plan concerning
>> how shops were laid out.
>>
With the products having the shortest sell by dates at the front of the shelf. Always shove them aside and pick from the rear.
All cheese is "live" in that it contains various types of lactobacteria which are added at the start of the process. Tis just a question as to whether you start with unpasteurised milk or not. The unpasteurised milk may or may not contain harmful bacteria that if you are very very unlucky may kill you. On the other hand it is meant to taste better.

The question is " do you feel lucky"
>>The question is " do you feel lucky"

If it came down to a straight choice between a condensed milk sandwich and a glass of un past your eyes milk,
I reckon I would take my chances with the latter.
 Child Dies In Blue Cheese E.coli Outbreak - Bromptonaut
>> To the original topic, it is shocking that a child can die from eating cheese.
>> Perhaps it is time to consider whether unpasteurised milk and cheese should be sold at
>> all, given that antibiotic resistant strains of 0157 are widespread.

The child died of e-coli. In this case cheese was the host but other in cases it's been meat and even salad leaves. Can cheese from pasteurised milk harbour e-coli if it's carelessly stored or handled?

I'm currently enjoying Camembert and several other cheeses fabrique au lait cru. If, at 56 and healthy, I want to eat it and I know the limited risks (the US link above references a number of cases statistically insignificant in nation of 318 million) then why not?

My Mother who's 91 and being treated for an auto-immune complaint might need to be more careful.
I only said we might consider it. Who is going to make sure that frail old people and children don't eat it? A simple microbial infection that might be untreatable is quite scary - it seems quite likely that cases will rise.

There's E.coli and E.coli of course. Not all types are harmful.

I don't mind a bit of Camembert myself, although I like it new and firm, not running off the plate.
Cheese discussion seems popular and doesn't seem to create the hostility that BREXIT does. Perhaps this is the way we should go.

We haven't discussed recipes lately (or bread makers) I recently made a Cornish saffron cake. In fact I/we had 3 attempts at them, and still haven't got it right.

I've got some more saffron strands so I might have another go when I've finished replacing all the hardwood slats on my cast-iron garden furniture.

A lot of faffing about: allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/22473/cornish-saffron-cake.aspx
Cheese discussion is safe. Cheese when it contains E.Coli is not. ;-)

What else could we discuss... not done politics for a bit :-)
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 7 Sep 16 at 21:47
>>not done politics for a bit :-)

Or washing machines.

:>)
What about dishwashers... or tumble dryers? Both are more dangerous than a washing machine too.

There's probably someone on here waiting for their dryer to be fixed to make it safe. Statistically speaking. I'm not - had a recall on ours about 3 years ago soon after buying it.
We've never used a dishwasher (strange but true) We have had them left behind by previous owners of various properties we've bought o'er the years, but we've never to use them - what could be easier than filling the sink with water and leaving the crocks to soak for a time.

Tumble dryers, well, now you're talking ... We have an olde Whirlpool jobbie left behind by the folk who we purchased this cottage from. It's the first time we've ever had one and wouldn't want to be without one now.
Never run it when out... real fire hazards. You'll know it's lint related and you need to clean filters and that's the biggest issue.

Step-son doesn't get why I'd rather he didn't use it! He'd put it on and go out. He'd use it when it was sunny or dry/breezy outside too.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 7 Sep 16 at 22:30
Our old Whirlpool is on its last legs tbh. I have smelled burning on a number of occasions - I clean the lint filter in the door, but the red warning light still stays on (I like to live dangerously)

I did pull the dryer out about a year ago to clean behind it and found loads of fluff in the actual casing, which I obviously cleaned out and it made said red light go out.

I suppose I'll have to do the job again when I get a roun tuit ... or buy a new machine!
And clean the heat exchanger - probably has one of those you know.
>>And clean the heat exchanger - probably has one of those you know.

Thanks, I'll check that out ASAP.
 Child Dies In Blue Cheese E.coli Outbreak - Pat
I've got another sae topic for you...see new thread:)

...on second thoughts, it could get nasty

Pat

Child Dies In Blue Cheese E.coli Outbreak - Bromptonaut
An eminent expert on E-Coli is somewhat critical of the aproach of the Scottish Authorities:

www.theguardian.com/world/2016/sep/12/scottish-food-standards-agency-criticised-e-coli-poisoning-case
Latest Forum Posts