Non-motoring > Gene Wilder R.I.P. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Focal Point Replies: 29

Gene Wilder R.I.P. - Focal Point
"US actor Gene Wilder, remembered by many for his namesake role in Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory, has died at the age of 83, his family confirmed."

- BBC News
 Gene Wilder R.I.P. - Robin O'Reliant
Never got him myself. All a matter of taste, though.
 Gene Wilder R.I.P. - No FM2R
Me neither. Not even slightly.

Still a character gone though.
 Gene Wilder R.I.P. - sooty123
Only seen him as Willy Wonka and I thought him and the film was weird. Don't think I ever watched him in anything again.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Mon 29 Aug 16 at 21:27
 Gene Wilder R.I.P. - CGNorwich
Beat in the Mel Brooks film, Blazing Saddles and the The Young Frankenstein both well worth watching.
Gene Wilder and Marty Feldman in The Young Frankenstein

youtu.be/yH97lImrr0Q
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Mon 29 Aug 16 at 21:35
 Gene Wilder R.I.P. - sooty123
I guess he's one of those comedians you get or don't. Not my cup of tea.
In fact the three of them, Feldman, Wilder & Brooks, I didn't get any of them.
I rather thought you wouldn't.
 Gene Wilder R.I.P. - legacylad
I found him very funny, along with both Marty Feldman & Spike Milligan. MF had a tv series when I was a nipper and both my parents found him hilarious, and SM was one of the funniest live shows I have ever seen.
Which is saying a lot as it was t'Alhambra in Bradford
Or Blackford as AC might say
 Gene Wilder R.I.P. - VxFan
Loved him in the film "See No Evil, Hear No Evil" that also starred the late Richard Pryor.
Hmmm, now you mention it I enjoyed that film. It wasn't a great film, but it was fun.

Maybe I didn't dislike him as much as I thought.
 Gene Wilder R.I.P. - helicopter
Would not have put him at 83......will be sadly missed.

Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein (my
name is Fronkensteen ) are two of my favourite films.
The monster dancing and singing putting on the Ritz always gets me laughing.

He was good in The Producers as well.

Gene Wilder R.I.P. - devonite
I thought Richard Pryor brought out the best in him, didn't care as much for his films without him (Pryor) and I thought "Willy Wonka" horrendous! - suffered from Alzheimer's apparently but kept it to himself, brave man! R.i. P Gene.
 Gene Wilder R.I.P. - Crankcase
I really liked Willy Wonka. Still, I really liked the Depp Alice in Wonderland too, so there we are.

I didn't like The Producers the first time, but took to it after a couple more viewings. Now I think it's pretty good. Blazing Saddles is meh for me.

Nothing beats the original The Odd Couple though, and he wasn't even in that. Just saying.

>> I found him very funny, along with both Marty Feldman & Spike Milligan.
>>

Spike Milligan never even once caused me to break into a smile. I found his humour incredibly boring.
 Gene Wilder R.I.P. - Armel Coussine
>> I didn't get any of them

Honestly FMR, surely you understand jokes? All three were generally pretty good.

>> I rather thought you wouldn't.

CGN has recognized your essential gloom. Mind you I think it's put on to some extent. One of nature's Eeyores, as if.

Gene Wilder R.I.P. - Cliff Pope
>> Mind you I think it's put on to some
>> extent. One of nature's Eeyores, as if.
>>

Was Eeyore putting it on? I always thought he was genuinely gloomy.

Home-educating our children, and doing my stint organising some kind of activity for a group of them, I often found myself slipping into a kind of Willy Wonker parody. I always underestimate how slowly most people walk, so often had a trail of children skipping along trying to keep up.
>> thought he was genuinely gloomy

Yes, but he got a lot of quiet pleasure out of it surely?

Of course losing his tail and having it nailed back on with a drawing pin wouldn't have put him in the best of moods. But it was all grist to his mill.

We all know an Eeyore or two, characters who wallow joyfully in their legitimate misery.
>> >> I didn't get any of them
>>
>> Honestly FMR, surely you understand jokes? All three were generally pretty good.

Of course I understand a joke. But I don't think understanding is the same as finding amusing. I am sure that they were quite fine at their work, it just didn't usually amuse me.

Neither can I inagine why I would pretend about such a thing. I didn't find them funny, the Goons were boring, Monty Python buried flashes of genius in piles of rubbish yet I saw Lee Evans live and truly thought I might pee myself. Whereas I am sure that Evans would be sneered at by many a self-admiring Python fan.

Humour is a personal thing I guess. Also very little point in telling somebody they should find something funny.

>> CGN has recognized your essential gloom.

No he hasn't. He just can't forgive me for thinking him irrelevant so resorts to little comments to try and prove he's not.
>>
>>
>> >> Monty Python buried flashes of genius in piles of rubbish
>> >>
>>
True indeed.

Monty Python was essentially the John Cleese show, nearly all the good sketches featured him in a central role and when he left the program became dreadful. The whole concept was a bit public school humour, standing jokes were overlong and most of my viewing consisted of sitting waiting for the odd funny bit. Often it never arrived at all.
>> telling somebody they should find something funny

No, one can't reasonably do that. And as you say, humour depends a lot on the individual.

I'm not trying to sic you and CGN at each other, wouldn't dream of it. Surely you are taking this minor diagreement too much to heart?
I don't take much to heart AC.
Cold hard cat, iron self-control?

Pull the other one Kid...
No, I have very little self control, but who cares what people in an internet forum think about them? I mean, seriously?
Seriously? I think they do care.

For example FMR, I care what you think, up to a point.

Smiley smiley and all that, but I would be disappointed if you didn't care what I thought.
I care about your opinion of many things, AC. You know more than I about a lot of stuff.

But your opinion of me? With the greatest of respect, no.
I rejoice in my irrelevance FM2R. There are truly few people who are more irrelevant than me. I scorn relevance. I am totally and irreconcilably irrelevant not just to you but to the world at large.

Must be hard work being relevant.
Bless, you really worry about what I think, don't you. How very tiring for you.
Is that relevant?
Latest Forum Posts