Non-motoring > The olde Home Town Miscellaneous
Thread Author: devonite Replies: 20

The olde Home Town - devonite
A couple of posters in the book thread mentioned "olde maps".

I am fascinated with them also especially of my local area!

heres a couple of the town i was brought up in, the first one is the earliest one i can find at the moment and is 1610 (must be earlier ones as the castle was built in the 10/1100`s) and the other exactly 400 years later!

libweb.lancs.ac.uk/maps/speed1610.jpg

www.aboutbritain.com/maps/lancaster-map.asp

I notice a couple of things have changed, but even in the modern map you can still see the 1600 one! - Has your hometown changed much?
 The olde Home Town - Tooslow
www.last.fm/music/Joe+Jackson/_/Home+Town

Yes, I like old maps too (and new). Furthest back I've got for my local area is the Tithe map of 1836, feeble by comparison with your effort!

JH
 The olde Home Town - Old Navy
>> I notice a couple of things have changed, but even in the modern map you
>> can still see the 1600 one! - Has your hometown changed much?
>>

No, but it will depend on how much attention any town got from the Luftwaffe during WW2.
 The olde Home Town - Bellboy
a good friend of mine is really into that sport of treasure troveing stuff
he taught me 20 years ago that proper maps were disappearing and newer maps left off all the interesting stuff like victorian dumps etc etc
i checked what he said and he is right
i can spend hours looking at os maps by the way
 The olde Home Town - Zero
>> No, but it will depend on how much attention any town got from the Luftwaffe
>> during WW2.

A damn site less than the USAF and SBomber command gave Germany!
 The olde Home Town - Dog
>>A damn site less than the USAF and SBomber command gave Germany!<<

The Luftwaffe would have done the same or worse to us if the RAF hadn't won The Battle of Britain.
>> A damn site less than the USAF and Bomber command gave Germany!
>>
True in most cases.

I have visited several towns in Germany with a quaint old area and a post 1945 concrete block design area.
 The olde Home Town - Dog
>>I have visited several towns in Germany with a quaint old area<<

Tell Zorro about the V1's, V2's and what would have been the V3 O/N :(
I wasn't born til 52 but I've been to Dresden, Lubeck, Hanover, Hamburg etc. and seen the before and after pics,
A terrible, terrible war (all war) but Harris did what had to be done IMO.
I know about the V1s and the V2s. My parents and grandparents lived in docklands. My grandfather had a scar in his chin from shrapnel. I played on bombsites as a lad.

We handed out several hundred times more than they gave us. Dresden, Hannover, Lubeck were not military targets.
>> We handed out several hundred times more than they gave us. Dresden, Hannover, Lubeck were
>> not military targets.
>>

I believe that was a message to the German people from the allied politicians after two wars within 30 years. Certainly not military objectives.
Pointless having a map of my place of birth, where I grew up and where I live now.

A field is a field is a field.
 The olde Home Town - Dog
>>I played on bombsites as a lad<<

And who I wonder made those bomb sites that you and I used to play on,
Hitler was intent on destroying London in 1940, he set 348 bombers and 617 fighters on London in September of that year, followed by another basin load 2 hours later guided by the fires set by the first assault, and that was just the start of the blitz which went on for 76 consecutive nights trying to kill my Mother and her 4 children + many many other 'civilians' in all the other towns and cities that were bombed.
By the end of May 1941, over 43,000 civilians, half of them in London, had been killed by bombing and more than a million houses destroyed or damaged in London alone.

The bombing of Dresden was a justified bombing of a military and industrial target, which was a major rail transportation and communication centre, housing 110 factories and 50,000 workers in support of the war and an independent investigation commissioned by the city council in 2010 reported a minimum of 22,700 victims with a maximum total number of fatalities of 25,000.
 The olde Home Town - Ted

The road in which i now live was visited by the Luftwaffe. There are 2 semis, a bungalow and a small detached now on sites that got direct hits. I was brought up in a house about 600 yds away, across the railway and there was an AckAck battery in the field across the road.

There was also a mobile gun mounted on a train which moved up and down the line on raid nights. I used to play in the battery with the kids of the Army caretaker. the guns had been removed, sadly. There was a bomb crater just outside the fence with a twisted lorry chassis in it.
The site was cleared in the 60s and an old folks home built. my MIL was resident there for a while. Demolished about 4 yrs ago, it became a field and is now a base for the Metrolink builders who can access the trackbed easily from there. It will become a field again in time.

Ted
 The olde Home Town - bathtub tom
I've an old map that shows a stream at the bottom of my garden (near the neighbours house, but I don't believe in fairies). The trees down there are still wonderfully lush despite the straw-like appearance of my garden further up.

A side road has to be re-surfaced every few years because of the damage caused by water freezing as it passes over it. I've tried explaining to the roads department that there used to be a stream that's been blocked by the road foundations, but.................
 The olde Home Town - Dog
I have a CD of old Hamilton Jenkin Ordnance Survey maps of Cornwall carried out in 1857-88,
revised 1905-7, partly revised 1912, 1932-33 and 1936-39 plus boundary revision on 1-2-1949.
They show all 'known' mines in Cornwall + prehistoric settlements, of which there are many,
I have also used it for property searches to make sure my garden wouldn't go TU.
Dog, a question for you. Who deliberately bombed who's Capital city first? And what was the *total* number of civilian casualties on each side for the war, and what was the total amount of ordanance dropped on each side.

Last edited by: Zero on Fri 6 Aug 10 at 07:47
 The olde Home Town - Dog
Zero my friend, I do not wish to carry on with this discussion,
purely out of deep respect for the millions of lives lost *on all sides* during WW2.
you started it.
 The olde Home Town - Dog
>>you started it.<<

No, you did - you invaded Poland.
TA DAH
 The olde Home Town - tyro
Back to the subject of old maps, this is a great site for Scottish maps:
www.nls.uk/maps/os/oneinch_1st_list.html
Last edited by: tyro on Fri 6 Aug 10 at 08:51
Latest Forum Posts