Non-motoring > People that are always late Miscellaneous
Thread Author: RattleandSmoke Replies: 51

People that are always late - RattleandSmoke
Supposed to be going to Blackpool for a gig and the plan was to get there early, not even got tickets yet. My mate said he will be round at 10:30, two hours later it is now he will get here for 1:30. So all I have done all morning is listen out for the doorbell and my phone.

He is always doing this, why are some people just always so late? I am sometimes five minutes later but never more than that and if I was three hours late it it would be a lot of apologies, I won't get one.

Just need to get rid of my anger in case I start swearing at him when he does arrive!
 People that are always late - Redviper
If i have my freinds over to dinner I purposly tell them to come over for 30 min before I would like them to be there

for example if dinner is ready for 19:30 I tell them it will be ready for 19:00 inevitibly, they turn up at 19:30 just in time - and they do this everytime - i dont mind it expected now but i like to be punctual something that was drummed into me from a child, and 99.9% of the time I am, or I arrived too early.

People now expect that im punctual and im some ways I want people to think of me that way but its what i expect of others
Last edited by: Redviper on Thu 5 Aug 10 at 12:35
 People that are always late - smokie
I'm very much a last minute person - rarely late but usually not early - unless Mrs S is in control, in which case we are always vastly early. The hours I've wasted with her in airports before even being able to check in ...
I used to be very punctual and would be twenty minutes early for everything, the problem is late people have made me run a bit later. I am on the last minute a lot more now, and that is because I have learnt everybody is late. The problem is sometimes the person is ex services is watch the clock so if I am two minutes late they comment on it! I have one customer who everytime I knocked the door it he said

"you're 35 seconds late", "you're 40 secods too early">

I am not organising this trip so I had no say in what time he got here, but if I am organising it I always tell him to get here an hour before he is supposed to, that way he is only 30 minutes late.
 People that are always late - R.P.
I hate being late and people being late. I'd rather have a buffer of time at the arrival end rather than the departure end, my best friend is different....
I used to be like that at train stations, always arrive an hour before the London train is due, now I just arrive 30 minutes before. Plenty of time to get some BSE from the bakery go to to loo and get on the train before the mad people arrive.

It is always comical watching people get on the train at the last second, knowing it will cost them over £100 if they miss it.
 People that are always late - Cliff Pope
You've met my wife then?

People that are always late - Falkirk Bairn
One of my son's had a Gf who was always late - dinner - 2 hours late was not out the ordinary. We gave her a 1 handed "ish clock" to try and highlight the problem.

GF became D-i-L and the thought was she might improve - it has gone the other way - my son can now turn up 30 mins- 60 mins late, not make contingency palns and then re-arrange at the last minute...................defeating to say the least!
 People that are always late - L'escargot
This is why I would never agree to a car sharing scheme when I was working.
 People that are always late - Armel Coussine
My scapegrace daughter Natalie
Lives her life preternaturally scattily;
She's so often so late
People's love turns to hate
And they talk about Natalie cattily.

Wrote this and texted it to her while waiting for her in a pub. Repeated it at her wedding (we had only been half an hour late at the church though).
He is still not ***** here. I think I might end up falling out with him, this is now gone beyond a joke. It does not take two hours to drive from south lancs to my house, its 30 minutes max on the motorway. He told me was leaving at 12:10.

What makes it more annoying is the reason I suspect he is late, he has a bit of a smoking habit (not the tobaco kind) and he might be meeting somebody to get some supplies :(.
 People that are always late - Dave_
>> a bit of a smoking habit

I hope he's not doing the driving then.
Last edited by: Dave_TD {P} on Thu 5 Aug 10 at 14:04
 People that are always late - Redviper
Ive got a mate who will not go to the cinema becasue you cant have a smoke in there (tobacco kind)

he would rather wait until the film comes out on DVD so he can have a cigarette while watching it - how sad.
.*******

Not sure how that happened, maybe the dope word? Was just going to say I have a mate of a mate who won't go on trains because he can't smoke. He would rather drive 208 miles to London uninsured in a death trap than get an £11 train which takes two hours.
I don't think he does but I've warned him about it. I don't care what habbits people have but when that makes me late by several hours I start to get very annoyed. I am not huming and just don't want to go. He told me is leaving at 12:10, it is less than 20 miles to where I live.

The problem is when I do get there I am still going to be worked up. I've already let some swear words out in a bid to calm down.

What upsets me its all about him, he needs his stuff he will get his stuff, it dosn't matter about anybody else. I really wish i had just met him in Blackpool.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Thu 5 Aug 10 at 14:10
 People that are always late - Zero
its times like this you ish you had a car......
None of us are going in a car because we will be drinking a bewery night so will all be too drunk to drive back the next day. Its also Blackpool which is a risky place to park over night. He is simply parking his car at my house.

I should also add it sounds like all my mates are dodgy charectors, they are not but some of my mates of mates can be.
 People that are always late - teabelly
Why are you waiting for him? If he's supposed to be that at a specific time say quite clearly you'll be off without him. Then do it. Selfish twerp won't be late again!
'Punctuality is the courtesy of kings,' my father used to say when someone was late. So the last king of Morocco was pretty rude. I don't know what the present one is like.
 People that are always late - Ted

I am always punctual...it's common courtesy and I don't like being kept waiting by others who can't make the effort.
When I was in business I would make every effort to get to a collection at the other end of the country an hour early. I could always go and get a cuppa. Recommendations in business are so important and keeping to time is important for customers.

I've spent many an hour on a dealers forecourt, asleep in the cab until they opened.

Ted
 People that are always late - Runfer D'Hills
I hate being late too and indeed loath being kept waiting. Resultantly I always seem to arrive way too early.

Got caught out a few months back though. Having got up very early to drive to the head offices of a very large British retailer I arrived much too early for the meeting I was due to attend. In their reception area there are very large squidgy leather sofas. I settled down to wait for my appointment in full view of all who were passing through that area and in clear sight of their chrome, marble and glass walled office suites.

Fell fast asleep and had to be woken by the receptionist as people were becoming irritated by the snoring........

Last edited by: Humph D'bout on Thu 5 Aug 10 at 16:47
 People that are always late - devonite
late Seventies when i worked on farm relief, I travelled from one job on Nigg Hill (scotland) to my next job in Alton (Hampshire), 700+miles plus 9and a half hours driving. I arrived and knocked on farmhouse door which was opened by a seemingly "irked" farmers wife, "your 45 minutes early, we arn`t expecting you till 5.15! go away till then"
I went away alright! spent the evening in the Queens at Selbourne, and went home the next afternoon! - hope they enjoyed milking thier own cows at 5.00 the next morning!
 People that are always late - AnotherJohnH
I suspect that the funny tobacco has a significant effect regarding being bothered about almost anything at all. The only thing of any importance happens when the supply runs out.

You need some different company.

Decide what things you like to do in your own time, go to the places where they happen, and make some friends. (The pub isn't the only option.)
 People that are always late - Old Navy
My only experience of mind altering drugs was when I was prescribed Pethidine, a synthetic opiate, I am not sure whether it stopped the abdominal pain or stopped me caring about it. I can certainly see how weak willed people can become addicted to "substances". Punctuality would be way down their priority list.

I would rather be an hour early than 30 seconds late, lateness shows a lack of standards and consideration for others.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 5 Aug 10 at 19:46
 People that are always late - Bellboy
as silence of the cams says i too have spent my life being punctual,if i say i will be somewhere at 2.00pm i am always there at 2.00pm
no iffs no buts
plus these days with mobile phones no-one has an excuse for lazy slobbiness anymore
 People that are always late - -
I'm always early too unless something very drastic en route prevents it and i allow time for delays anyway.

Nine times out of 10 my journeys are either going to a customer or on behalf of said customer, and if the customer is worth working for they are entitled to a bit of old fashioned service for their money.

I think many have forgotten what a customer is.

Rattie, there comes a time when you you outgrow some people who you spend time with when you are young, sounds like that time has come with one or two of them.

However no point in even discussing the late appearance with one who is under the influence, about as much point as trying to have a logical discussion with a drunk.

As an aside, i watched one of the fly on the wall cop programs some time ago, don't normally bother with the drivel.
A young police woman was trying to have a rational dicsussion with a drunk, i found myself shouting at her to just throw the twerp in the black maria and stop wasting her breath on the brain dead giving him the respect he didn't deserve.
But remember that it isn't the 'drugs' that are late (if anyone still thinks of marijuana as a real proper 'drug'), it's the person. Even junkies and cokeheads can get there on time, no problem. It's just that some of them can't be bothered.

There are people - I know two, one of them my daughter - who get away with being chronically late although they are dependable in other ways. On the whole though it really does boil down to a matter of common courtesy, with a bit of commonsense thrown in.

Only the Sheikh knows whether his ill-mannered friend is worth maintaining. Perhaps it would have been better to meet him in Blackpool. I wouldn't hesitate to hang about there for a few hours myself, trying to fathom the local psychology and gawping at the ancient ruins.
 People that are always late - Old Navy
>>(if anyone still thinks of marijuana as a real proper 'drug'),>>

I know of someone who was severly mentally damaged by heavy Marijuana use as a teenager, thats good enough for me.
>> >>(if anyone still thinks of marijuana as a real proper 'drug'),>>
>>
>> I know of someone who was severly mentally damaged by heavy Marijuana use as a
>> teenager, thats good enough for me.
>>
>>>>>>> so thats why you have a kia
piece marn.........
By the way, I don't disagree with gb's point that sometimes one outgrows one's youthful contacts. Life really is too short to bother with some people. Someone who really can't be relied on isn't an ideal companion.

But the idea that someone isn't worth bothering with because they take drugs, or even use cannabis - well known to be more or less harmless - is utterly ridiculous. What counts is the person.
What counts is the person.
>
>>>>>>> or the thickness of his stash AC?
;-)
Last edited by: Bellboy on Thu 5 Aug 10 at 22:53
 People that are always late - -

>> >>>>>>> or the thickness of his stash

Jimmy Edwards would have been well in then..;)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHCdrfFZQ4I

I dont even do the pools............................
 People that are always late - NortonES2
Excellent! This was intended for AC, btw.
Last edited by: NortonES2 on Thu 5 Aug 10 at 21:12
I assume Ratts made it for his gig in Blackpool?

People that are always late - VxFan
But his mate probably made a hash of things and his plans went up in smoke.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 6 Aug 10 at 10:29
 People that are always late - Dog
>>But his mate probably made a hash of things and his plans went up in smoke.<<

Or he ran out of £,s,d
im sure his mate will roll up when hes ready
 People that are always late - VxFan
>> im sure his mate will roll up when hes ready

Yep, bound to turn up at Rattle's joint sometime.
its HIGH time he let us know.
 People that are always late - Dog
Perhaps he will reefer back to us later.
Back now, never seen so many punks in all my life but it was a great gig, I was supposed to be staying for all four days but I ran out of money and a couple of other mates canceled so we are just going to do it next year instead.

My mate was four hours late because he had a massive hang over.

I had a good time in the end though.
>> ...... I ran
>> out of money ...........

Are you saying you've got nothing put by for a rainy day, no savings whatsoever?
Les, thats an old persons train of thought. When your younger, rainy days dont exist.
 People that are always late - CGNorwich
The ironic thing is that all the savings in the world won't save you from the rainiest day of all.

The bands on the Friday were probably the weakest but with tickets and everything else its £100 a day, so although I had the money I could not justify another £100 and if I had stayed yesterday I would have wanted to stay today and tomorrow.

Instead I will just use £100 to pay some of my credit card off :).
 People that are always late - Ted

Very wise too, Rats. You're not on this planet to enjoy yourself !

Ted
Money isn't everthing but it sure do make life easy ~ Harold Robbins.
>> ........ so although I had the money ...........

So you fibbed ~ as usual! You didn't run out of money.
Well I had enough money, but at the time with no jobs booked in I could not justify spending £200+ when I wasn't even sure if I would have enough money to pay my car loan.

Nothing worse than going out to have a good time but you can't because money worries are at the back of my mind. My mate was working today too and it was today I was most bothered about, the other four all pulled out early this week :(.
Latest Forum Posts