Non-motoring > Surrey. Charges for some use of the waste tip. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 56

Surrey. Charges for some use of the waste tip. - henry k
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-37056302

Sadly after many years I will stop doing my "civic duty" and it will cost the council and council tax payers.
At present I try to sort/recycle as much as possible.
This usually results in plenty of space in my landfill bin.
I bag up leylandii branches, rose clippings, privet clippings etc and when I have enough bags for a boot full I trek several miles to the tip and heave them in the appropriate place.
I will now save effort, petrol travel time, queuing time, boot cleaning and instead fill my landfill bin. No prizes for what I will do in future.

I regularly pass by the entrance of my nearest tip but it is in the adjacent borough so I am not allowed access.

All joined up thinking by the powers to be ???

I guess next will be bin persons conducting detailed bin inspections with head cams etc.

Surrey. Charges for some use of the waste tip. - sooty123
I'm surprised that there isn't a garden waste bin? Lots of councils have them now, ours is £20 a year. I think it's 10 times a year they come and empty it. But plenty don't have one and just chuck it over the fence into the farmers land.
 Surrey. Charges for some use of the waste tip. - legacylad
£26 pa for a brown bin here in Craven. Fortnightly collections between March & November to get rid of your garden waste. The local council fellas came recently to cut down branches overhanging pavements near me and there had been a few close calls. They just threw the branches over a low wall into the local school grounds!
If you want to get rid of rubble, the local charge is £3.12 per rubble bag! No wonder there is so much fly tipping....which then costs the council to come and remove it. Sometimes.
 Surrey. Charges for some use of the waste tip. - smokie
We now have a vehicle pass (one per household, screen sticker, so f you use more than one car you can move it around) to even get into the tip. You can tip most stuff for free except, from April, asbestos and building rubble.

For garden waste you can but a wheelie bin (£33) and pay an annual £40 to have them empty it (fortnightly I think). Or you can buy green bags to put out fortnightly, these are 70p each including collection. I don't think there is a limit to how many you use per occasion.
 Surrey. Charges for some use of the waste tip. - Manatee
Our nearest tip, by a lot of miles, is in the next county. Fortunately we can use it. Although it's only 2 or 3 miles way we still get a lot of fly tipping.

Commercial operations are something different, but making it difficult for householders to get rid of rubbish is clearly a net bad idea given that so many people are basically selfish and idle.

We have a food waste bin, a 'landfill' bin, a recycling bin, and a garden waste bin. The first two are collected every week, the other two alternate, or something like that. It requires some thought and concentration to get the right bins out so I leave it to the staff.
 Surrey. Charges for some use of the waste tip. - Dog
Jist the one bin 'ere - a black dustbin, collected weekly.

Fer recycling we have a selection of bags - blue fer tins, plastic bottles/aerosols. Red fer cardboard.
A small blue one fer white paper/newspapers etc. A plastic box thingy fer glass. These are collected bi-weekly.

Gardin rubbish I take to the recycling centre, although I can have a 140 ltr bin fer 16 notes. 240 ltr fer 19 quid,
or a reusable garden waste bag fer £3.50

Um, annual collection charge: £23 / £35.50 / and £17 respectively.

Surrey. Charges for some use of the waste tip. - CGNorwich
Do something positive and help the environment. Buy a shredder which will reduce green waste volume to about a fifth of the original. Build a compost bin and compost the shredded waste.

Result - less waste better garden.
>>Do something positive and help the environment.

I do. I have been creating compost for 50 years.
I have two plastic compost bins that work well.
I shred A4 paper/ envelopes etc to mix with grass cuttings leaves etc.and the bins get emptied every year. The contents feed the lawn.
I do not want to shred Leylandii or rose stems.
I will not miss my trek to the tip.
>>Do something positive and help the environment. Buy a shredder

Recommendations por favor.
Depends what you want to shred Dog. There are two basic types, the rotating disc, a bit like a bacon slicer which is best for green stuff. If you want to shred woody stuff you need the sort that is like a big mincing machine.

In both cases the more powerful the better. Bosch are good.
 Surrey. Charges for some use of the waste tip. - devonite
I have a Bosch 2000W shredder that I run off the genny on the allotment, won't handle green-stuff thicker than a pencil - keeps clogging itself up, and is a b****r to un-block!!! ;-((
Either it's blunt or the genny ain't powerful enough maybe? - tis a 3KW one tho'
Last edited by: devonite on Sun 14 Aug 16 at 12:11
>>Depends what you want to shred

devonike's Bosch jobbie would probably do what I want. I did buy a 2nd hand shredder some years ago.
It made lots of noise, but that's about all it did. I even fitted new cutters to it, but binned it in the end.

I'll have a looksee at the reviews on Amazon.
>>I'll have a looksee at the reviews on Amazon.

This would be the kiddie... if I was in receipt of a final salary pension ;-)

www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-AXT25TC-2500-Turbine-Shredder/dp/B001UHO8Q4/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1471176444&sr=8-16&keywords=garden+shredder

or this for those with less money to shred:

www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-AXT-25-Quiet-Shredder/dp/B001P3NV7A/ref=pd_sim_sbs_60_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=41ydMOJaE8L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR120%2C160_&psc=1&refRID=R13QRCTP82SFZ5N7RYV4

They cost a few bob but, could pay for themselves over time may bee.

I haven't tinyurled the links because they appear to 'wrap' ok, at least on my PC.

I burn rose pruning in a small incinerator. Leyllandii are the tree of the devil and should be removed and burnt in a celebratory pyre :-)
 Surrey. Charges for some use of the waste tip. - Cliff Pope
>> Do something positive and help the environment. Buy a shredder which will reduce green waste
>>

I'd be interested to see a comparison between the energy costs of using a shredder and the environmental gains from the resulting mulch.

I recently rescued a discarded electric shredder from a skip - the switch had broken.
It was very noisy and burnt out after about 10 mins having produced a minute pile of chippings. The council use a mobile petrol-driven machine, or there are tractor-driven attachments with a bit more muscle.

I understand it is inadvisable to use green chippings in compost because it draws nitrogen from the soil, and should only be composted together with plenty of manure.
 Surrey. Charges for some use of the waste tip. - Slidingpillar
Cheap shredders were a commonplace sight at my local scout groups auctions. So I bought a decent one, a Bosch one that had some power behind it. Years old, and my brother is using it as I type (we share expensive bits of kit).
 Surrey. Charges for some use of the waste tip. - sherlock47
Dog Towers obviously has enough space for 4-5 separate containers, but how do those living in small terrace houses with limited outside space cope.

A 'small blue' for newspapers and paper and collected fortnightly must be full after one weekend if you have a proper sunday and daily newspaper.

I honestly believe that LAs have lost the plot. Fly tipping costs - does nobody look at the big picture? The central overheads for each separate 'collection domain' are probably conveniently forgotten. It would be interesting to see comparative figures between different LAs for similar end results. Sorry cannot do that, because they all do it differently! Even the coloured bins vary in colours between LAs , let alone the sorting criteria! They all have their own purchasing departments, outsourcing control/contract departments all making their own decisions.
>> Dog Towers obviously has enough space for 4-5 separate containers, but how do those living
>> in small terrace houses with limited outside space cope.

My friend lives in a terrace, all five houses chipped in and built a dutch barn in the ginnel. Luckily their council doesn't have bins for everything. Just one for landfill the other for recycling.
>>I honestly believe that LAs have lost the plot. Fly tipping costs - does nobody look at the big picture?
I agree.
The cost of dealing with fly tipping is huge.
IIRC. Inspect, risk assesment etc etc.
I suspect most folks imaging some of the lads turn up and chuck it all in the bin lorry.
Across all councils in England its about £50m for fly tipping costs.
Most fly tipping costs fall on private individuals. If someone tips a lorry load of waste on your land it is down to you to remove it. Council won't be interested unless it is in a lay by or other public land.
>>A 'small blue' for newspapers and paper and collected fortnightly must be full after one weekend if you have a proper sunday and daily newspaper.

Very true. Personally, I don't buy any comics, but if I did I could Burnham on the wood burner.
 Surrey. Charges for some use of the waste tip. - Stuu
I must be lucky with my council. We have a garden waste bin, no additional charge.
 Surrey. Charges for some use of the waste tip. - Armel Coussine
There are five bins by the road here at the other end of the drive (newly resurfaced, a great improvement). Two with green lids are for rubbish, three with blue lids for recycling. We wheel them out to the road verge on collection days.

When there are seriously large things to throw away we take them to the council tip a couple of miles away. The blokes there are cheery and helpful.

It's all quite convenient. W Sussex County Council is well organized in this neighbourhood.
 Surrey. Charges for some use of the waste tip. - Clk Sec
>> I must be lucky with my council. We have a garden waste bin, no additional
>> charge.
>>

Same here, and no charges at the local tip.
Same here, and no charges at the local tip.
>>

That is pretty unusual these days, which council are you in?
 Surrey. Charges for some use of the waste tip. - Stuu
No charges at our local tips either ( they come under different councils ).
No charges at ours either.
No charges at either the St Albans one or the Watford one.

Brother's shop can get card taken for free from an independent firm, other stuff they have to pay for, despite the sky high business rates (anyone who says councils are not robbing *$£*&rds should try writing the cheques). Curiously, both my and his home landfill bins are often full...
, despite the sky high business rates (anyone who says councils are
>> not robbing *$£*&rds should try writing the cheques).

I think the Treasury set the rates and get the money, councils just collect the money, unless it's changed.
 Surrey. Charges for some use of the waste tip. - Boxsterboy
Henry, IIRC you are in Elmbridge? I'm in Mole Valley and when I went to the tip on Saturday morning I was given a leaflet (a Zoe?!?) about them introducing charges for building waste, and car tyres only, nothing about garden waste.

I have a £26/year garden waste bin, but often this is inadequate in the summer, given the fortnightly collections.
 Surrey. Charges for some use of the waste tip. - Crankcase
No charges in South Cambs, nor to use the tip.

It was only last year they started to not pick up the green bin in the winter months, but otherwise it's that fortnightly for garden waste, and both blue (with integral paper box) and black bins on the alternate weeks which cover everything else.

Also if you have any excess paper they will take it if you leave it by the bin in a box or bag of your choice. They also take batteries if you put them in a plastic bag and attach them to the bin handle.

I assume it's all in my £165 a month Council Tax, as I get precious little else for it.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Mon 15 Aug 16 at 15:01
 Surrey. Charges for some use of the waste tip. - Old Navy
No waste charges up here in sunny Scotland (yet) as we are obviously subsidised by you lot down there. :-)
 Surrey. Charges for some use of the waste tip. - Roger.
Here in Nottinghamshire we are having to register our vehicle, (by number plate) which we use to take rubbish of all sorts to our local waste disposal centre. Only residents of the County are able to register their vehicle.
The thinking is that Notts. ratepayers fund the waste service and therefore it should save both money and waste, by making residents of neighbouring counties use facilities in their OWN counties, rather than popping overr into Notts. and using ours. We are, of course surrounded on all sides by neighbouring counties, being totally landlocked.
Personally I see this move resulting in more fly tipping as, say, a person from South Yorkshire turning up at their NEAREST recycling plant in North Notts - OK in Worksop - is going to be mightily dis-chuffed by being turned away and the natural (and wrong, of course) reaction may well be to dump their rubbish in the nearest available open space.
>> Here in Nottinghamshire we are having to register our vehicle, (by number plate) which we
>> use to take rubbish of all sorts to our local waste disposal

how's that going to be policed, do you have to show the pass?
 Surrey. Charges for some use of the waste tip. - BrianByPass
In Surrey, "To dispose of waste brought to our recycling centres from residents in neighbouring councils costs us half a million pounds a year. To ensure you are not burdened with this cost we have introduced the Surrey Resident Scheme, which is in line with similar schemes from our neighbouring councils. You will be asked for proof that you live in one of the 11 district or boroughs in Surrey". Do the Police have that power? www.gov.uk/police-powers-to-stop-and-search-your-rights says "you don’t have to answer any questions the police officer asks you".
Last edited by: BrianByPass on Mon 15 Aug 16 at 22:39
 Surrey. Charges for some use of the waste tip. - tyrednemotional
>>Do the Police have that power? www.gov.uk/police-powers-to-stop-and-search-your-rights says "you don’t have to answer any questions the police officer asks you".
>>

...you might have to answer some questions if you wanted to deposit your rubbish in their police station, though.........

8-/
What on earth have police powers got to do the chap at the recycling centre asking for proof residence in the county before allowing you to leave your rubbish on the council's property?
 Surrey. Charges for some use of the waste tip. - Roger.
>> >> Here in Nottinghamshire we are having to register our vehicle, (by number plate) which
>> we
>> >> use to take rubbish of all sorts to our local waste disposal
>>
>> how's that going to be policed, do you have to show the pass?
>>
AFAIK there are no physical passes bing issued, so I guess ANPR cameras?
 Surrey. Charges for some use of the waste tip. - BrianByPass
Henryk can rest easy.
The Surrey CC new charges are not for green garden waste, but for "Waste from construction, alteration or repair of your home and garden". They also say that "Most of Surrey's borough and district councils offer a garden waste collection service. A fee is usually charged for this service."

Having said that, I think it is inevitable that sooner or later all councils will start charging for collecting various waste except that which is statutorily mandated as free. They are having find ways and means to collect more revenue, not just to maintain the low level of services which most now provide but also to cover the cost of final salary pensions. Even if they transfer all current and future employees to defined-contribution schemes, the cost of legacy defined-benefit schemes is forecast to be an increasingly crippling burden on rate payers.

www.if.org.uk
Spending on the State Pension and public sector pensions is overwhelming young people’s prospects, according to the Intergenerational Foundation. Public sector pension liabilities rose by 12% to nearly £44,000 per worker in the past year with total liabilities now close to £1.4 trillion. The cost of paying for today’s State Pension per UK worker also rose by 1.4% to £2,846 in the past year, with the total State Pension liability now standing at well over £4 trillion. Angus Hanton, IF Co-Founder, comments, “Public sector pensions represent one of the largest unfunded burdens for younger taxpayers who will not retire at the same age, or on the same terms, while having to contribute more to their own pensions. Increasing retirement ages and moving to career average pensions will not be enough to stall the pension burden avalanche that is bearing down on the young.
>> Henryk can rest easy.
>> The Surrey CC new charges are not for green garden waste, but for "Waste from
>> construction, alteration or repair of your home and garden". They also say that "Most of
>> Surrey's borough and district councils offer a garden waste collection service. A fee is usually
>> charged for this service."

Sounds like they are trying to stop businesses from disposing of waste in the council tip that are meant for householders.
A few years ago I helped the family clear the residence of an elderly deceased relative. This involved me making multiple trips to a council tip in West Sussex. There was ANPR monitoring of cars accessing the tip but my Scottish registered car did not cause even a flcker of interest from the staff.
 Surrey. Charges for some use of the waste tip. - Duncan
>> A few years ago I helped the family clear the residence of an elderly deceased
>> relative. This involved me making multiple trips to a council tip in West Sussex. There
>> was ANPR monitoring of cars accessing the tip but my Scottish registered car did not
>> cause even a flcker of interest from the staff.

They felt sorry for you.
How could they be aware of my bereavement, I don't think ANPR can read minds (yet). :-)
 Surrey. Charges for some use of the waste tip. - Duncan
>> How could they be aware of my bereavement, I don't think ANPR can read minds
>> (yet). :-)
>>

Being in a Scottish registered car, they assumed you were a sweaty.
If they stop collecting garden waste for free round my way, folk will just go back to having smelly bonfires...
>> If they stop collecting garden waste for free round my way, folk will just go
>> back to having smelly bonfires...
>>

People said that when they brought it in last two areas i lived. I don't think there was an increase of bonfires after they brought it in.
 Surrey. Charges for some use of the waste tip. - Pat
I love a good garden bonfire, it smells of lazy, hazy summer evenings.

Pat
Some do, some don't. For me 20 quid is a bargain for garden waste collection. Its about £1.50 a time it would cost me comfortably more than that in petrol, let alone the faff of bagging it all up then cleaning the car afterwards etc.
>> Being in a Scottish registered car, they assumed you were a sweaty.
>>

They might be confused by my Souf Lundin accent mixed with soft Scottish. I can drop either bit at will. :-)
 Surrey. Charges for some use of the waste tip. - Dutchie
In Hull they are are going to charge charities for taking waste.Also I believe the council is going to shut them down for two days.

Excellent idea most of the rubbish will end up on the street or in ten foots behind people houses.

Surrey. Charges for some use of the waste tip. - Manatee
Yes it's insane. We have a lot of ditch drainage round here and ultimately blocked ditches hit the public purse at some point even if the tipping goes undiscovered. The farmers are responsible for getting rid of it if it's on their land, so the lock and barricade gateways where possible; when they do get some, they tend to move it on to the road/verge so the council has to collect it. I don't really blame them.

It's actually not a problem here to dispose of old mattresses, appliances and fridges if you can get them in or on a car, the tip will take them. But people still find it more convenient to leave them on the road. Humans are such a disappointment.

I've started picking litter up as I walk through the village (excepting the d****** of course). I don't think it's my job, but leaving it feels as if I am part of the problem..
England has become perhaps the most littered country in Europe. People just don't seem to care and nobody thinks its their problem. I regularly pick up cans and bottles in our local park that are a few yards from a litter bin. There are a lot of things I like about living in England but litter, graffiti and vandalism of public amenities are depressing aspects of life here
There are two American gays living near here, very nice charming cats, who pick up litter on the surrounding roads and dispose of it properly. They are an example to us all, it's a bit shaming. (Actually I don't chuck chip wrappers etc. out of the car window as so many do, the slags).
I wish I had the nerve to do it more often, but years ago a car load were eating their MacDonalds (other burgers are available) outside MDs at Crystal Palace. They tipped the wrappers out the window and started to move off. They were a bit slow winding the window back up - and I was walking past. Cue me re-inserting their trash saying, I think you lost something.

They were furious, but unable to do anything about it as there were lots of witnesses, about half 4 in a weekday afternoon.
Last edited by: Slidingpillar on Fri 19 Aug 16 at 18:57
We live down a little Cornish lane in the middle of nowhere but, the amount of rubbish which gets tossed out of cars down here simply amazes me. Not just down here of course, it goes on all over Cornwall from what I hear.

I used to think it was the Emmetts who were doing it, but it goes on to a lesser extent throughout the year, so the locals must take part in it too. Shame really, they must be numbskulls I suppose.
 Surrey. Charges for some use of the waste tip. - MD
Carnwaal did you say? There's your answer then my Bird.
Latest Forum Posts