Non-motoring > House Martins Gone Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bromptonaut Replies: 10

House Martins Gone - Bromptonaut
Our House Martins arrived in mid May and quickly re-occupied and repaired last year's nest. By the second week of July the first clutch of young were fledged and appeared ready to fly.

We were away from 16-20 July for Lad's graduation. On return the Martins were gone. As were those nesting under neighbour's eaves. Not seen more than a single specimen in sky since. Usually they're around until September with young presumably feeding up for the passage south and/or a second clutch being raised.

Also seemed absent from sky around suburban Brum (Harborne) where we were visiting rellies last night.

Have they scarpered from other bits of the country as well?
 House Martins Gone - rtj70
Maybe they 'know' there's a cold spell arriving and think it's autumn and time to fly south? Maybe they came early so left early?
 House Martins Gone - tyrednemotional
...it's all down to Brexit.....

;-)
 House Martins Gone - diddy1234
Seem hundreds today (well swifts at least). all this years hatchlings practicing catching on the wing at the coast in Norfolk.

Are they due to fly back to Africa shortly ?
Actually when do they go back south ?
Last edited by: diddy1234 on Sun 7 Aug 16 at 20:32
 House Martins Gone - Kevin
We've had lots of swifts circling above the house since mid April'ish. Didn't see any today though.

Maybe they were here while the Brazil/Russia beach volleyball was on.
 House Martins Gone - John Boy
I was at a regular nesting site in East Sussex this morning and they're still here.
 House Martins Gone - Bromptonaut
>> Are they due to fly back to Africa shortly ?
>> Actually when do they go back south ?

Round here we the Swifts arrive in mid May. We're usually on holiday from third Sunday in July until around 11/12 August. They've always gone, barring he odd straggler, by time we're home.

Martins and Swallows though usually stay until Autumn.

Down in Kent in late September last year with the caravan. The local ornithology group were out on Samphire Hoe counting departing migrants in thousands.
 House Martins Gone - John Boy
>> Down in Kent in late September last year with the caravan. The local ornithology group were out on Samphire Hoe counting departing migrants in thousands.

That reminded me of this recent post on a local birdwatching (and thankfully other topics too) blog which I follow:
rxbirdwalks.wordpress.com/2016/08/05/migrant-watch/
 House Martins Gone - Ian (Cape Town)
Didn't they become The Beautiful South?
 House Martins Gone - PeterS
>> Didn't they become The Beautiful South?
>>

I think three of them formed The Beatiful South in around 1988!!
 House Martins Gone - Fullchat
Went to see Paul Heaton and Jacqui Abbott a few months ago locally. They did emerge from Hull. Good gig.
Latest Forum Posts