Non-motoring > Loakes. Not made in Britain Buying / Selling
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 16

Loakes. Not made in Britain - legacylad
Whilst visiting Leeds on Sat AM awaiting work on my car, I decided to treat myself to a pair of expensive shoes, spending some recent ill gotten gains on my equities.
Imagine my surprise when I got home & had a closer inspection...Loakes, style Drake in tan leather. Stamped inside, 'made in India'. I thought, wrongly, that all Loakes were produced in the UK, or Northampton. I'm very disappointed to say the least.
I'm almost tempted to return them as I've not worn them outside yet...
And nowhere does it say on the box ' Made in India'.
Last edited by: legacylad on Wed 3 Aug 16 at 15:35
In fairness, now I have looked on Loakes website, it does state that this model is made in India.
I didn't know that in the shop, nor did I think to ask ...so much for helping British industry.
 Loakes. Not made in Britain - sherlock47
The obvious question is why are you disatisfied? Handmade in India may well be a plus point provided that they have have a suitable QC process in place. Or have they started to exploit the brand name?

Loakes is still family owned and run and they acknowledge on their web site
"Of course, things move on. Alongside our English Goodyear welted footwear we now design and produce a range of shoes outside the UK, using a variety of constructions. This enables us to offer a complete wardrobe of shoes suitable for every occasion."

However the mangement may not have yet have fully moved into the Internet age, because the strap line on their funded advertising (Google Ad) is very specific,

Loake™ Shoes - Official - Bespoke & Handmade In England‎
Adwww.loake.co.uk/‎
Shoes From £95 With Free Delivery!
Free Delivery & Returns · Made In England · Repair Service Available
Styles: Boots, Brogues, Toe Caps, Slip Ons, Boat Shoes

A suitably worded letter to Andrew Loake, Managing Director may make you feel better?
I am not dissatisfied with the product per se Sherlock, it is just that on this occasion I actually wanted to purchase a British manufactured product. My knowledge of shoe construction is zilch, but they definitely appear better made than some other offerings from large shed retailers.
And so they should for the price!
I'm sure they will be ok, but I feel somehow misled ( not miss led!)
I think it's a Yorkshire term...
Regards
 Loakes. Not made in Britain - MD
If yer goin' to complain to the management LL put your sole into the letter. If you complain via facetime do not poke your tongue out.

Sorry. Orf to the fridge for a BEER.
 Loakes. Not made in Britain - tyrednemotional
...I trust that will be your last response on the matter....
 Loakes. Not made in Britain - Focal Point
A response laced with cynicism... from a well-heeled individual. ("Gains on my equities", indeed!)
Last edited by: Focal Point on Wed 3 Aug 16 at 20:40
 Loakes. Not made in Britain - Timeonmyhands
You have me in stitches and toecap it all, eyelet you know I'm on my uppers but instep with the down trodden, I'll get me coat.
 Loakes. Not made in Britain - Dutchie
Clarkson shoes made in China.

I bought a nice pair of sandals last year in Harrogate.German made closer to home..;)

What is still made in Britain.Most of our stuff is foreign owned or produced.
>> Clarkson shoes made in China.
>>
...top gear, those....

;-)
 Loakes. Not made in Britain - Dog
Some of the best shoes in the world are still being made in Engerland:

www.independent.co.uk/extras/indybest/best-english-made-mens-shoes-10430736.html
 Loakes. Not made in Britain - sooty123
At them prices they'd best be.
 Loakes. Not made in Britain - Dog
Think I'll stick with my Cat Colorado boots - ideal for kicking ass!
...aaah, the Loake Mulligan as best buy (as opposed to the Loake Milligan - which is made in India).

;-)
 Loakes. Not made in Britain - Bobby
Best to stick with Clarks - when they have their sale on!
 Loakes. Not made in Britain - Manatee
>> The obvious question is why are you disatisfied? Handmade in India may well be a
>> plus point provided that they have have a suitable QC process in place. Or have
>> they started to exploit the brand name?

They say not. The India ones are not 'outsourced' or bought in, but made by Loake in India using the same materials and methods as the UK factory.

I have a pair of "Design Loakes" that are Indian production and from all outward appearances that appears to be true.
 Loakes. Not made in Britain - Roger.
For comfort, try Hotter shoes! I have three pairs plus a pair of their slippers.
Dunno where they make them, but I bought them at their shop in Meadowhell.
Latest Forum Posts