Non-motoring > Cloned Livestock Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Perky Penguin Replies: 3

Cloned Livestock - Perky Penguin
I am old enough to remember when cigarette manufacturers were allowed to claim that smoking was good for you! "??? Soothes your Throat" etc. The first scientists who thought that there migh be a link between smoking and ill-health were derided as scaremongers although in the long term they were proved to be correct.

I now read that "Experts" tell us that there is no risk in eating the meat of cloned animals. How do they know this? Cloned animals have only been around for about 15(?) years - Dolly the sheep. If anyone has eaten the cloned cows under discussion it can only have been during 2010. This hardly seems like a sound scientific or statistical basis for saying that eating cloned animals is risk free! Any thoughts?
 Cloned Livestock - FotheringtonTomas
I don't mind cloning animals, with the exception that if taken to extremes, using the process will result in stagnation of the "gene pool".

I very much do mind genetic engineering, which can result in all sorts of unwanted effects - we cat't even properly manage the effects moving existing species from place to place around the planet, so the prospect of brand new man-made life coming into existence does not fill me with enthusiasm, by any stretch of the imagination. Quite the reverse.
 Cloned Livestock - -
Reasonable research is desirable in all things, we wouldn't have antibiotics without such, but safeguards are needed to stop those with obsessions going beyond what's acceptable for their own ego's.

As with all things governmental (and they control licencing) though who monitors the monitors especially where money is involved, politicians can't keep their grubby fingers out of the till where minor sums like expenses are involved who knows how far they'd go for large brown envelopes, actually we do know as they'd sell their souls and grannies, honour and integrity having gone the way of the Dodo years ago.

I fail to see the point in cloning animals for any other purpose, it's not as if there's anything wrong with the present method of animal reproduction they've been doing it the natural way (with human assistance in some cases) for long enough.
 Cloned Livestock - devonite
>>with the exception that if taken to extremes, using the process will result in stagnation of the "gene pool".<<

Doesn`t need "Cloning" to do that, most of the worlds dairy herds are "Genetically stagnated" due to the ever increasing use of A.I. 90% are sired by the MMb`s Stud bulls. Turkeys are the same! bred for the table, not for breeding (in fact the modern Turkey cannot breed naturally because it`s been bred the wrong shape) so old Bernie has to go about with his baster!]

A few years from now it may be "men" on the danger list - increasingly Women are seeking other methods for thier offspring - and looking around this town, i think the gene-pool has already mutated!!
Latest Forum Posts