Non-motoring > Access to a deceased persons computer data Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 8

Access to a deceased persons computer data - henry k
Perhaps this should have more publicity as many could find themselves with such problems.

Father told by Apple to get court order for dead son's data

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-36926812
 Access to a deceased persons computer data - smokie
Seems reasonable to me, without knowing more details. Apple cannot just go giving out stuff without proper authority. Who's to say that the father really does have the right to the son's data?
 Access to a deceased persons computer data - Mapmaker
>> Seems reasonable to me, without knowing more details. Apple cannot just go giving out stuff
>> without proper authority.

For anything else a copy of the grant of probate is sufficient.
 Access to a deceased persons computer data - PeterS
Presumably something that could be covered off in a will (accepting it's entirely possible that this chap didn't leave a will...)
 Access to a deceased persons computer data - zippy
Stick important usernames and passwords in a sealed envelope attached to your will and given to a named person in the will with explicit permission to access the accounts and data.
 Access to a deceased persons computer data - commerdriver
>> Stick important usernames and passwords in a sealed envelope attached to your will and given
>> to a named person in the will with explicit permission to access the accounts and
>> data.
>>
Would need to be kept up to date as and when passwords are changed, and if the will is kept in the house would that count as writing passwords down if they are compromised in some way? eg Bank account hacked etc
 Access to a deceased persons computer data - Manatee
I us an encrypted password file, so I wonder if that would count as writing it down if it were hacked? One solution, if I could get my wife to do the same, would be to give her the password for my password file to put in her password file.

I defy anybody to remember 100+ passwords and PINs which is what many of us must have now. Even excluding the trivial things, you'd still have email, banks, tax authorities, credit cards, paypal, to name but a few.
 Access to a deceased persons computer data - commerdriver
>> I us an encrypted password file, so I wonder if that would count as writing
>> it down if it were hacked?
>>
Absolutely agree, I do the same, updating it each time a password changes.
However if my bank account were to be hacked that "written down record of the password" would not be mentioned.
 Access to a deceased persons computer data - No FM2R
Several different issues here I think;

1) Personally remembering a million complicated passwords

Totally agree, I use Lastpass.

2) Somebody else accessing your stuff when you're dead

What do they really need the passwords for?

Photos? And iTunes? Bank?

However, if you left a will and appointed an executor, then no issue would arise and access would be granted. No real need to record and share the actual passwords surely? In this case Apple want a court order *because* there is no other authority and no will saying that he has any right to access it.

So I suspect that you don't have to do very much except actually leaving a will.

3) Finding what there is to be accessed.

Often overlooked. You really need to leave a list of everything important. Actual access can be gained via 2) above, but at least your executor would need to know that it was there to be accessed.

4) BIOS passwords to actually access the computer

They can all be defeated pretty easily, or the hard disk removed, so no real issue.

5) Encrypted data

To all intents and purposes cannot be beaten, so THOSE you would have to leave a note of.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 1 Aug 16 at 15:39
Latest Forum Posts