Non-motoring > Alanovic Miscellaneous
Thread Author: nice but dim Replies: 107

Alanovic - nice but dim
Missing in action for over a month, something I missed?

Or the LEC threw a wobbler and he dare not show his face? :p
 Alanovic - sooty123
He's not been here since the night of the referendum vote.
 Alanovic - Robin O'Reliant
Our numbers do seem to be thinning. Fenlander hasn't been around either.
 Alanovic - sooty123
I wonder if the number of posts and views are actually down?
 Alanovic - CGNorwich
It's like a tontine. Last person still around to post automatically wins all arguments.
 Alanovic - sooty123
>> It's like a tontine. Last person still around to post automatically wins all arguments.
>>

www.dictionary.com/browse/tontine

Never heard that word before.
 Alanovic - CGNorwich
A great favourite of crime writers Sooty. Never seen the film "The Wrong Box" base on a novl by Robert Louis Stevenaon?
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Thu 28 Jul 16 at 21:42
 Alanovic - legacylad
I thought it were a Yorkshireman talking abaht Newcastle
 Alanovic - sooty123
>> A great favourite of crime writers Sooty. Never seen the film "The Wrong Box" base
>> on a novl by Robert Louis Stevenaon?

No, never heard of it. I've recognised the concept though, it was on a simpsons episode once.
 Alanovic - Pat
Neither has Westpig, or Zero.

Pat
 Alanovic - Dog
One of his last posts from that glorious day:

"Yep, no result until about 5/6am. No need to stay up. I shall sleep well tonight"

The other bleating liberal, Beest, reckons Alanovic's wife is Eastern European, and Vic' was concerned about all the the post-Brexit hate crimes I believe.
 Alanovic - rtj70
It has been more than concern about hate of people from eastern Europe.
 Alanovic - Dutchie
It is happening in places where the hate becomes violence.

Not the Britain I know.
 Alanovic - BrianByPass
>> It is happening in places where the hate becomes violence.
>>
>> Not the Britain I know.
>>

While I agree that every crime is to be condemned, let us look at the Britain as reported by official stats.

20% increase in hate crimes post-Brexit
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36869000
More than 6,000 hate crimes have been reported to police in England, Wales and Northern Ireland in the wake of the EU referendum, figures show.
There was a slight fall in reports in the first half of July compared with an initial spike in the days before and after the 23 June vote, the National Police Chief's Council said.
But the overall level was up 20% on the same period in July 2015.

Definition of hate crime
A ‘Hate crime’ is defined in law as any criminal offence committed against a person or property that is motivated by hostility towards someone based on any aspect of their identity. The five strands of hate crime monitored by police in England and Wales, and Northern Ireland are: disability, gender identity, race ethnicity or nationality, religion, faith of belief and sexual orientation.

Compare that to "Victim Based Crime", England and Wales, figures available for year to 31 March 2016
www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/crimeandjustice/bulletins/crimeinenglandandwales/yearendingmar2016

VICTIM-BASED CRIME 3,451,940

Violence against the person offences 994,444

Homicide 571

Violence with injury 431,258

Violence without injury 562,615

Sexual offences 106,378

Rape 35,798

Other sexual offences 70,580

Robbery offences 50,904

Robbery of business property 5,421

Robbery of personal property 45,483

Theft offences 1,760,305

Burglary 400,361
Domestic burglary 193,773
Non-domestic burglary 206,588
Vehicle offences 366,715
Theft of a motor vehicle 82,047
Theft from a vehicle 239,082
Interfering with a motor vehicle 45,586
Theft from the person 83,315
Bicycle theft 86,616
Shoplifting 336,708

All other theft offences 486,590

Criminal damage and arson 539,909

OTHER CRIMES AGAINST SOCIETY 441,007

Drug offences 147,557
Trafficking of drugs 25,402
Possession of drugs 122,155

Possession of weapons offences 25,502

Public order offences 204,616

Miscellaneous crimes against society 63,332

TOTAL FRAUD OFFENCES 621,017

TOTAL RECORDED CRIME - ALL OFFENCES INCLUDING FRAUD 4,513,964

Alanovic - Dulwich Estate II
I came close to pulling out of this place permanently during the post Brexit vote "debate" on here. Two in particular on this forum were being particularly unpleasant to me as well as others and I wondered if it was worth hanging about . . . so far the jury's out.
 Alanovic - Focal Point
"I came close to pulling out of this place permanently during the post Brexit vote "debate" on here."

Same here. While I accept that, for whatever reason, the EU referendum was deeply divisive, the vitriol directed at some was I believe unacceptable. Not that it's the first time objectionable stuff has been thrown around in this forum.

I've pretty much given up trying to do anything about it. If you challenge people you have to deal with the backlash and it's probably a waste of time saying anything. Most members of the forum don't seem to mind unless something is directed at them and there's no meaningful moderation.

In fact, it's the time wasted in "trying to do the right thing" that I resent most.

I have better things to do.
 Alanovic - movilogo
>> I came close to pulling out of this place permanently during the post Brexit vote "debate" on here. Two in particular on this forum were being particularly unpleasant to me

Don't be upset - same two are unpleasant to me as well :-p

Some just can't tolerate that whatever my halfwit brain is predicting is actually happening :-)

On a similar note, I wonder what would be future of this forum. In a large forum where there are many posters, you remain completely anonymous. In a small forum like this, it is kind of all known people where you can predict who would say what. A lot of discussion lately turned into personal attacks and I feel much less inclined to post here recently*.

* = I think someone will now count how many posting I made in X amount of time and then will accuse me of lying because in "his" opinion, I am still posting too frequently :o)

Last edited by: movilogo on Fri 29 Jul 16 at 12:44
 Alanovic - Armel Coussine
I don't understand why people mind being badmouthed in the forum. We are adults after all.

If people are so psychically fragile that they are upset by insults from people who don't know them, what are they doing on an internet forum?

I try not to be too rude or insulting here, but I may not always have succeeded.
 Alanovic - Focal Point
"I don't understand why people mind being badmouthed in the forum. We are adults after all."

Coming from someone who I would have thought was at least marginally civilised and tolerant, I find this disappointing. I don't see why being an adult and accepting insults are in any way connected. The next stage in your argument, presumably, would be to accept that the actual dishing out of insults is not so bad after all.

Being an adult and ignoring insults is different, and probably the way to go. The easiest way to ignore them is just not to visit the forum.

"If people are so psychically fragile that they are upset by insults from people who don't know them, what are they doing on an internet forum?"

That sounds like another hint to some of us to get lost, AC.
Granted there's a difference between accepting insults and ignoring them, but it isn't a very significant difference.

>> That sounds like another hint to some of us to get lost, AC.

Yeah go on, sod off! (only kidding).

What I meant of course was that an adult doesn't take these things to heart. That is oversensitive and 'fragile'. Explain, argue, say it again differently... but don't get upset by other people's malice or ignorance.
 Alanovic - Pat
>>What I meant of course was that an adult doesn't take these things to heart. <<

Granted, I'll give you that one AC but I've been (and still am) in contact with many who no longer post on here and the one reason they all have in common is this.

'One day, I thought do I really need this?'
'Would I miss this constant back biting'
'What's the point?'

Can you see the similarities because I can, and in all cases they decided that the pleasure gained from posting and a jovial bit of banter, was spoiled by the nastiness and consequently decided to leave.

......and in all cases they've not missed car4play but have gone on to find other forums where they can share their knowledge and chat/discuss current affairs in a civilised manner.

Our loss, but Hey Ho, no one seems to care.

Pat
 Alanovic - Focal Point
Pat, your info about some of those who have left is interesting.

As you know, there have been extended periods when I have been absent and the reason is the same as the others'.

I am disappointed in the forum in other, possibly related, ways. At one point some major re-vamping was promised and I seem to remember wanting to be involved and even signing a non-disclosure/confidentiality agreement. That was some years ago and my guess is that the number of reasonably frequent posters here has dropped considerably since then.

The fewer people there are, the more predictable their behaviour seems to become and the more strident the unpleasant voices seem to be - though that may be just my perception. In short, the forum and the people who inhabit it are sinking into a rut.

I'm not even sure if there is anyone who cares enough or is even in a position to do anything about it. Just Stephen, perhaps?

Alanovic - Pat
Yes, I signed that document too which gave us access to another forum.....the last post in there was April 2012:)

Sort of says it all, doesn't it?

Pat
 Alanovic - Dog
There is some new channel 4 program about nakedness or something which the ole woman told me about this week and although I occasionally force myself to have a fleeting glance at a disrobed lady now and again
[especially if she is fit :)] I choose not to watch channel 4's new offering.

The same goes for a certain obnoxious C4P member (who shall remain nameless)
I choose not to read any of his posts - ever. So, for me, he simply does not exist = simples!
 Alanovic - No FM2R
Don't believe you.
 Alanovic - No FM2R
You could always do what you did when you weren't talking to Pat. If you remember you used to ask me to like or dislike stuff for you because you didn't want her to know you were paying any attention.
 Alanovic - Pat
s*** stirring again.

I wouldn't lower myself to that level.

It's my opinion that the biggest problem with car4play growing and going forward, are those who were involved with HJ and are no longer involved with the inner workings on here.

They may well protest they don't want to be, but they simply want to see it fail since they are not a part of it.

How sad is that.

Pat
 Alanovic - No FM2R
>> s*** stirring again.

Its a fair cop, but in this particular case it amuses me.

>> It's my opinion that the biggest problem with car4play growing and going forward, are those who were involved with HJ and are no longer involved with the inner workings on here.
>>
>> They may well protest they don't want to be, but they simply want to see it fail since they are not a part of it.

I don't see how they could stop it. Certainly I don't see how. Hacking, I suppose, but that'd be obvious.

And if you mean me, then you are wrong it is a matter of complete indifference to me, as it also seems to be to Stephen. In any case, you have no idea who is or is not still involved with HJ and in what capacity.
 Alanovic - Pat
>> I don't see how they could stop it. Certainly I don't see how. Hacking, I
>> suppose, but that'd be obvious.
>>

Just as obvious as making unpleasant for anyone new to come and post and feel welcome?

>>In any case, you
>> have no idea who is or is not still involved with HJ and in what
>> capacity.
>>

...and don't ever forget you also have no idea what, or who, I know:)

Pat
 Alanovic - No FM2R
You're taking conspiracy theories a bit far, who could be a***d to put that level of effort?
 Alanovic - rtj70
>> I don't see how they could stop it. Certainly I don't see how. Hacking, I suppose, but that'd be obvious.

This site is co-hosted with other Khoo systems websites and other customers. Hacking this site or a denial of service attack could bring down the whole lot. Lets not go there.

The front-end web servers for this site could be shared even. Or being such a small instance go Khoosys v3 it might be all on one CentOS server.
 Alanovic - Dutchie
I read your post No FM2R some good post and you know your business.

I didn't like and still don't like the pointless attacks on Fluffy.I thought you where good at reading people but in this instance you have failed.

You might find out one day how wrong you are about Fluffy.Just let him do his stuff in his own way.
 Alanovic - No FM2R
I do leave him alone Dutchie. As for being wrong about, well since I can't work him out all pretty much anything would come as a surprise.

Alanovic - No FM2R
Mostly.
 Alanovic - Boxsterboy
I have given up on the political 'discussion' threads here. Pointless discussing things with people who only see things in black and white! Fortunately there are more grey areas in the non-political threads.
 Alanovic - henry k
>> I have given up on the political 'discussion' threads here.
>> Pointless discussing things with people who only see things in black and white!
>> Fortunately there are more grey areas in the non-political threads.
>>
I was always told " Do not discuss politics or religion with strangers and be always wary even with those you know."

As soon as the aggro starts I ignore that item.
The downside is of course is that I do not know why X has taken major offence and gone.
I can live with that.

Similarly I can switch off rather than continue arguing. It may look like I failed and that might make someone pleased but I am certainly not upset.

It is obviously unfortunate that we have lost some members who brought very useful info to me.

Alanovic - Dutchie
Of course seeing things in black and white when it is down to politics or religion is ridiculous.

It is all a grey area and sometimes it depends where your starting point is.My old man was always very left wing so was my mother.Dad was a Captain at sea so a good well payd job.

Mother used to work for the rich before the war.She always got treated well with respect by the family she was employed by.The Dutch tend to be very open with their discussions when talking about politics or religion.

My brother and sister are non believers.I have always looked at it a different way to many things have happened in my live to put it down to coincidence or luck.

I hope the people who have left on this forum or lost interest will come back you are missed.
 Alanovic - Bobby
If you logged on tomorrow and found this site no longer existed (which is what happened to HJ),
would you

a. search high and low trying to find contacts that had been on here to try and keep in contact somehow
b. think, oh sod it, and move onto something else?
 Alanovic - bathtub tom
I wonder what these 'other sites' Pat refers to?

I've looked at a few and they don't appeal to me.

Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong places?
 Alanovic - rtj70
I posted the image because it shows the majority of the members on here used to be the top posters on the other site. And that number has dwindled over 6 years. Some never followed.

I'm just wondering where this site goes? The car4play registered company has served a purpose for sure. But what about the future?

The only new member on here that has stayed is Fluffy. Is there anyone else I've missed? Everyone else joined in early 2010 I think.
 Alanovic - Pat
The publication of that list in itself will have people wondering if they want to be a part of a group where 5 years down the line something like that could happen.

Words fail me rtj, is there nothing you consider to be a step too far?

Thankfully the Mods have removed it.

Pat
Last edited by: Pat on Sat 30 Jul 16 at 06:13
 Alanovic - Duncan
>> Thankfully the Mods have removed it.

Am I the only one who doesn't know what you are talking about?

pm me if you prefer.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 30 Jul 16 at 17:46
 Alanovic - sooty123
Am I the only one who doesn't know what you are talking about?
>>
>> pm me if you prefer.
>>

It was just a list of forum stats from years ago.
 Alanovic - sooty123
Can someone tell me why the list was so outrageous?
 Alanovic - Pat
www.car4play.com/terms/terms.htm

It's all there, and similarly, and more important, in HJ's T&C's.

On another level both mods and admin of any website are privy to certain information which we all expect to remain, as it states, private.......even after they have long gone and moved on.

I trust all of the mods on here implicitly to do just that, and have no worries whatsoever.

Pat
 Alanovic - sooty123
I had a quick look at that, I couldn't find anything in there as to why it was so outrageous.
 Alanovic - Duncan
I have got it now.

What's the big deal? I am on the list, under another name. So what?
 Alanovic - sooty123
I don't know either.
 Alanovic - rtj70
The other site accidentally published a whole lot more in early 2010 including hidden/private forums. They didn't stick to their own Ts & Cs. It's just that the members there perhaps didn't realise it.

>> They may well protest they don't want to be, but they simply want to see it fail since they are not a part of it.

But after 6.5 years this site hasn't succeeded has it? Where's it going? What will attract anyone? It needed to be more than a forum... therefore you could say it failed. It served a purpose for Khoo Systems I am sure and we're not party to that.

So is anything going to enhance this site so it's more than just a forum. It's surprising that this sprang up in early 2010! Although the idea existed from a year earlier and that was a good time to launch (the other site was down).
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sat 30 Jul 16 at 08:39
 Alanovic - No FM2R
>>But after 6.5 years this site hasn't succeeded has it?

Nor is it likely to.

It was a free proposition for Khoo Systems; they already had the software, they were already running the servers, so for what was probably about 1/5 days work they've had 6.5 years of advertising revenue.

We should all do so well.

Stephen is no fool and I'm quite sure that he understood exactly the likely business prognosis for this site. He made absolutely the right decision for him and his company.
 Alanovic - No FM2R
>>What's the big deal? I am on the list, under another name. So what?

Its public domain information. I could sit here with a pencil and paper and manually construct those types of figures for this site. The fact that it would take a very long time is not relevant.

So guys, if you don't like it then clearly you need to think about your internet "footprint" a bit more.
 Alanovic - No FM2R
>> is there nothing you consider to be a step too far?

Why is this a "step too far"?
 Alanovic - VxFan
>> The only new member on here that has stayed is Fluffy.

You seem to forget the same happened on HJ. There were members who'd been there years, and new people would register, ask a question (mainly in Technical Matters) and would never be seen again. Some popped back in again to thank the regulars for their help, others simply didn't bother. They probably asked their question(s) on numerous forums and forget where they asked it, or were too impolite to pass on any thanks.

From what I recall, the last 3 or 4 years I was a mod on there, a good majority of new members that registered were mainly spammers. Hardly anyone genuine stayed long enough to establish themselves as regular contributors.

But it's the same in other forums I browse too. People move on, are too busy hunting Pokemon characters, etc. Forums in general are losing members every day.
 Alanovic - smokie
I hid the list - for those who didn't see it, it was a list of the top something posters by nickname to HJs forums from 2010.

I have to say, it wasn't the content that bothered me at all. We all publish ourselves under our assumed name and as has been said above anyone could reconstruct the info. For me it was whether the info as it was presented was in some way sort of copyright, or at least not ours to publish. When in doubt it's sometimes easier to just wipe it out, for a mod at least!!!
 Alanovic - Slidingpillar
Indeed, you'd not need to be a rocket scientist to work out my real name.
 Alanovic - Roger.
I use my real first name!

As an aside, I've deliberately kept away from post-referendum discussions, just to try and defuse the unpleasantness which I'm pretty sure would have ensued from disappointed folk who are on the "Remain" side.
I have views on it, together with the fallout in terms of personalities affected, but apart, I think from one or two posts in the Tory leadership saga, have refrained from stoking the flames.
 Alanovic - Stuu
Hello campers, I am back from exile :-)
 Alanovic - Dog
You missed all the fun? of the referendum, Stu. The remoaners thought they had it bin the bag, but we Brexiteers won by a short head.

Welcome back BTW.

:o}
 Alanovic - Stuu
The arguments were pretty standard across social media, I doubt the standard of insults here was any better than elsewhere!

I am still waiting for WW3...
 Alanovic - Dog
>>I am still waiting for WW3...

And don't forget the punishment budget...!
 Alanovic - Stuu
>>And don't forget the punishment budget...!<<

And the famous 'line' which Obama sent us to the back of, only to quietly forget about that after the result. I have him down as a big fan of musical chairs.
 Alanovic - sherlock47
>I am still waiting for WW3...

And don't forget the punishment budget...!

Sounds something like the turkeys who voted for Xmas - then decided that it was all ok, because the halcyon days of June was just like the old days.
 Alanovic - Stuu
My 'old days' were the 80's. I quite liked it.
 Alanovic - rtj70
But don't forget we've not trigged Article 50 yet. And who knows what the likely deal will be? Maybe we'll accept free movement for all EU citizens? Nobody knows.

In the meantime we have more QE, interest rates likely to go below 0.25%, cut backs on investments in the UK.

It's too early for those who voted leave or stay to gloat just yet.

Alanovic is okay if you were wondering.
 Alanovic - Stuu
I think the phrase nobody knows is the most accurate, we will only really know in 2-3 years time of the general direction of travel.

In my own case, business is about 20% better than 2 years ago and no sign of jitters from my customers with big spending on both new cars and house renovations.
 Alanovic - rtj70
Glad to hear your own business is doing well Stu. Welcome back.

As you say - nobody knows. We don't even know what Brexit will be. It will be a compromise that's for sure.
 Alanovic - Stuu
>>Glad to hear your own business is doing well Stu<<

2012 and 2013 were the really bad years, since then it had picked up steadily and last year was my best for 6 years with this year on target to exceed that.
Things 'feel' very positive right now although with self-employment one always plans for drastic income drops, just in case.

Regarding Brexit, I am sure it will be a compromise of some sort, although given polling on Brexit issues, I would expect the Tories will be very careful about where they give ground, or they will never be rid of Mr Farage ( and his new face fuzz ).
 Alanovic - rtj70
One big issues is freedom of movement - which can't happen with an open boarder between the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland. For that reason there will be compromise on this. IMO at least.
 Alanovic - Stuu
>>One big issues is freedom of movement - which can't happen with an open boarder between the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland. For that reason there will be compromise on this. IMO at least.<<

I am not sure the Irish border would have much influence on it, free movement is about the right to work and reside in the UK, rather than simply crossing a physical border.

Alanovic - rtj70
But people on a daily business cross to and from the two. Live in one and work in the other. Some farmers have land on both sides. So they have to be able to come and go.

If you want to stop this free movement, how do you do it without a border that is policed?
 Alanovic - No FM2R
Snipers on commission.
 Alanovic - rtj70
Well the guns are usually hidden in the RoI I understand.
 Alanovic - Stuu
>>But people on a daily business cross to and from the two. Live in one and work in the other. Some farmers have land on both sides. So they have to be able to come and go<<

Ending free movement stops automatic rights, it doesn't prevent the government granting alternative rights to cover the situations you describe.

You seem to be confusing a physical border of a country and the rights granted under freedom of movement. Two very different things.

The eastern edge of the EU has a very long land border which does not have a border guard stationed every 20ft for thousands of miles, this particular issue is not anything uncharted.
 Alanovic - rtj70
But how do you ensure the people you don't want coming to the UK don't just walk across for example? I accept this is not unique and there are other borders to police. But what about a Polish plumber crossing to the UK via the RoI?

A good Polish drama called the Border in the UK (The Wolf Pack was the Polish title) was good... second season may be about to be commissioned. I thought it was quite good - it is available on the 4oD site.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sun 14 Aug 16 at 19:32
 Alanovic - rtj70
This is something ironic/amusing (to me)... days before the referendum a neighbour was telling me he was going to vote leave because he was fed up with so many Somalis* etc. coming to the UK. He couldn't grasp that had nothing to do with the EU.

Anyone watch the BBC programmes about Brexit that included interviews in Sunderland and the area? An area where the percentage population that is not native UK/English is very very small. Yet many had an issue with immigration!

* He listed a few other nationalities, mostly African. None had anything to do with freedom of movement of EU nationals.
>>
>>
>> Anyone watch the BBC programmes about Brexit that included interviews in Sunderland and the area?
>> An area where the percentage population that is not native UK/English is very very small.
>> Yet many had an issue with immigration!
>>
>>
>>
It's because they've seen what has happened in areas with high immigration and they don't want the same. That's why places like predominantly white Basildon and other towns along the A13 corridor voted leave, being high with ex east enders who moved from places like Newham. It is no good telling them that most of the immigrants who moved into those places were from outside the EU, they know that already. The opinion was that they'd had enough of being ignored and this was the only way they could be heard.
 Alanovic - Stuu
>>This is something ironic/amusing (to me)... days before the referendum a neighbour was telling me he was going to vote leave because he was fed up with so many Somalis* etc. coming to the UK. He couldn't grasp that had nothing to do with the EU<<

To be fair to him, that is rather indicative of how distant the EU is from ordinary people that many don't really even know what it does, although one could say the same of Westminster and to an extent local councils too.

More often than not I meet people who don't actually know what areas of provision are covered by county or borough council, let alone anything about wider governance.
>> More often than not I meet people who don't actually know what areas of provision are covered by county or borough council, let alone anything about wider governance.

WTF does that mean? Wider governance be damned. Utter rubbish.

'People you don't want coming to the UK' indeed... who cares what these racist prats want?

Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Sun 14 Aug 16 at 20:43
 Alanovic - Stuu
>>WTF does that mean? Wider governance be damned. Utter rubbish<<

I am not sure there is a clearer way of saying that many ordinary people aren't not sure which tier of local government deals with which services. Sorry if it doesn't fit your world view but that is my experience from helping residents.
 Alanovic - Dutchie
What are you on about Stuu.

Our council can't fixed the many broken pavers in town.Must be wider governance.
 Alanovic - rtj70
>>any ordinary people aren't not sure which tier of local government deals with which services

If you aren't not sure... you're sure aren't you? Sorry Stu. Double negatives. They are allowed in the Welsh language to emphasise something.
 Alanovic - Stuu
>>If you aren't not sure... you're sure aren't you? Sorry Stu. Double negatives. They are allowed in the Welsh language to emphasise something.<<

A typo, I didn't realise this place had become so pedantic as well as bad mannered. I shall leave you to it :-)
 Alanovic - rtj70
Sadly it's worse than that. :-)

Double negatives are okay in the Welsh language. Iechyd da!
 Alanovic - Cliff Pope
>> > Double negatives. They are
>> allowed in the Welsh language to emphasise something.
>>

Never never forget the flexibility of the English language.

In answer to the question "You're not coming?", you would correctly answer "No" , emphasising that you weren't.
Pedants obeying the double-negative rule might perhaps say "Yes", but they would invariably be misunderstood in standard English.
 Alanovic - Mapmaker
>>In answer to the question "You're not coming?", you would correctly answer "No"

My response would be "That is correct." A simple "yes" or "no" is open to misunderstanding.

You could perfectly correctly respond "No, I am [coming]." Everything is in the intonation of the "no" - an emphatic no would contradict the original assertion.

My favourite in English is the double positive making a negative. "Yeah, Right."
 Alanovic - Stuu
>>But how do you ensure the people you don't want coming to the UK don't just walk across for example?<<

You cant, just as you cant stop someone jumping in a boat and entering through a small harbour, a point of weakness in UK borders that was highlighted quite recently, which is prob a lot easier than trekking all the way to the RoI just so you can walk across.

Alanovic - BrianByPass
>> But how do you ensure the people you don't want coming to the UK don't
>> just walk across for example?
>>

Free movement at the moment allows people from Europe to work in the UK without requiring a work permit. A possible Brexit solution could be that EU nationals are still allowed to visit UK without a visa but not allowed employment without a work permit. It would also be possible to give Irish passport holders exemption from requiring a work permit. An example of exemptions is that made under Tier 5 category for Australia and Canada. It is not beyond the capabilities of the civil service to draft appropriate exemptions for Ireland.

But I am getting drawn back in to the stale Brexit debate. Time to be out of it once again.
 Alanovic - rtj70
>> But I am getting drawn back in to the stale Brexit debate. Time to be out of it once again.

No point in any debate as we don't know what deal we'll get. Nobody even knows what they wanted in the first place either so hard to measure success.
 Alanovic - No FM2R
Can it be a "right" if its not automatic?

As soon as i need the Government to grant me permission, surely its become more of a privilege. And as such, not granted to all.
 Alanovic - Boxsterboy
I have 't seen Runfer post on here for a while. Does anyone know why? I liked his posts.
 Alanovic - Bromptonaut
>> I have 't seen Runfer post on here for a while. Does anyone know why?
>> I liked his posts.

Last posted 14/08 but visited yesterday. On his hols??
 Alanovic - rtj70
He probably was on holiday until fairly recently. Maybe he's got nothing to share on here and prefer to post on other forums?

You'll notice others like WdB and zero aren't posting either. Maybe they're all somewhere else.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 19 Aug 16 at 18:21
Zero's absence is a combination of a flounce and a red card, if I remember right.
 Alanovic - Dog
Ted hasn't 'been in' for almost a month. He is probably laying on a beach somewhere with his paramour.

:}
 Alanovic - BrianByPass
>> Zero's absence is a combination of a flounce and a red card, if I remember
>> right.
>>

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=6608&m=493734
 Alanovic - rtj70
This site couldn't stop any of us posting here - he decided to go elsewhere. Who could blame him? If you wanted to chat with the missing posters on here I am sure you could find them elsewhere.

But you've got me wondering about our old Ted now. I might drop him an email.
 Ted's away - rtj70
No response from Ted himself because he's away... apparently in Wales. So probably in his caravan for a nice break.
 Ted's away - Dog
Proper job!
 Ted's away - sooty123
Where's the scottish doc, haven't seen from him in a bit.
 Ted's away - Dog
Off sick maybe?
 Ted's away - Pat
WdeB?

Pat
 Ted's away - Lygonos
Combination of holidaying and then being extra busy as a result of holidaying!
 Alanovic - Runfer D'Hills
No, not dead or awol, just really busy this time of year. Stupidly so in fact. Junior doctors work fewer hours !

Popping in here and other sites I use when I can. It'll get a bit more sensible from October to December in terms of workload but genuinely 18 hour days are the unfortunate norm for now.

My own fault of course, should have got a proper job !

Alanovic - rtj70
I hope you're not really having to do 18 hour days! At least business must be okay then which must be a relief of sorts but you can't keep up with 18 hour days can you?
It's never been any different in my game. Feast or famine depending on the time of year. It'll be like this until about mid October when it'll suddenly just stop. Next crazy time will be mid Feb until mid April.

Alanovic - Old Navy
Is that the switch from flip flops to wellies and back again?
 Alanovic - legacylad
Is there a Croc season?
18 hour days are not good...several years ago I was working silly hours for a few months which involved moving to larger premises and a lot of stress. My immune system collapsed and I enjoyed an NHS bed for a few weeks, recuperation took the best part of a year and I had to sell the business.
Now I'm just a lazy beggar!
Last edited by: legacylad on Thu 25 Aug 16 at 08:29
>> Is that the switch from flip flops to wellies and back again?

Aye, something like that !
Latest Forum Posts