Non-motoring > Water filter Miscellaneous
Thread Author: MD Replies: 48

Water filter - MD
Apologies if I've done this before, but I cannot find it. Forum search revealed Nowt!

Have you a Water filter?
Which one?
How long does a filter last and at what cost?
Are you happy with it?

Me, I'm fed up with buying and lugging the bottled stuff.

Thanks.
 Water filter - CGNorwich
Something wrong with tap water? I doubt whether many people can tell the difference between the tast of bottled water, filters water and tap water especially if the tap water is left to stand for an hour or two in the fridge.
 Water filter - MD
Here in sunny wet North Devon our tap water is at best just drinkable and at worst ruddy awful. It taints Tea which I consume a lot of. It was much the same in our last place. It varies on a day to day basis. We currently buy 2L bottles from lidl @17 pence each, but it seems that bottled water suppliers do not have to disclose their source!
 Water filter - CGNorwich
It will be the chlorine that reacts with chemicals in the tea. It reacts with coffee too to form an unpleasant taste.

A carbon filter will certainly remove the chlorine effectively but you might like to try simply boiling the water for a few minutes which will drive off the chlorine dissolved in the water. It's a lot cheaper!

Similarly leaving a jug of water overnight in the fridge will allow the dissolved gas to escape
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Mon 25 Jul 16 at 12:47
 Water filter - VxFan
We use a Brita Maxtra water jug. The manufacturer says the cartridge lasts approx. a month, but we reset the timer clock on the lid of the jug and get 2 months use out of it.

The result is a squeaky clean kettle that never requires descaling.

We don't however use it for cold drinks. That still comes from bottled water.
 Water filter - Cliff Pope

>>
>> Similarly leaving a jug of water overnight in the fridge will allow the dissolved gas
>> to escape
>>

Doesn't chlorine affect the taste of other things in the fridge?
 Water filter - CGNorwich
No There's not that much chlorine!
 Water filter - sooty123
Similarly leaving a jug of water overnight in the fridge will allow the dissolved gas
>> to escape
>>

Bit inconvenient if you want it earlier than overnight.
 Water filter - CGNorwich
Well how's this for a plan.

You keep two jugs of water and use them in rotation. How much water do you need?
 Water filter - sooty123
The fridge is pretty full.
Quite a bit, me and the OH love a brew. I don't think two would be enough.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Mon 25 Jul 16 at 19:03
 Water filter Me, I'm fed up with buying and luggi - Armel Coussine

>> Me, I'm fed up with buying and lugging the bottled stuff.

I've been drinking it straight out of the tap all my life, and I'm still alive.

It doesn't always taste good, but you can't have everything. Obviously chlorine is good for you (for me anyway).

A late friend was persuaded by his gf that bottled water was healthier. After that he was always slobbering at a plastic bottle. Looked awful, and didn't keep him alive.

Water filter Me, I'm fed up with buying and luggi - Clk Sec
>> Have you a Water filter?
>> Which one?
>> How long does a filter last and at what cost?
>> Are you happy with it?

1) Yes

2) Currently a Brita Maxtra, which replaced a Boots own make that was getting a bit tatty.

3) 4 weeks recommended, but we replace ours about every 6 weeks. I think the filters are around £4.50 each. We bought a pack of 6 that were on offer at the time.

4) Yes. Prefer the Brita, though.

Filtering water is well worth the additional cost in my opinion.
 Water filter Me, I'm fed up with buying and luggi - CGNorwich
"Filtering water is well worth the additional cost in my opinion."

Is that purely on taste grounds?
>> Is that purely on taste grounds?

Taste and smell.
I hardly ever drink neat water. It must be weeks since I drank any. Tea,coffee,beer and wine suffice.
>> I hardly ever drink neat water. It must be weeks since I drank any. Tea,coffee,beer
>> and wine suffice.

Beware of the dreaded gout...

>>
>> Beware of the dreaded gout...

Consumption is mostly tea and coffee of which I drink large quantities of both without milk or sugar. I do normally have a glass of wine with my dinner and the beer is confined to the occasional trip to the pub.

Plain water only drunk in extremis.
 Water filter Me, I'm fed up with buying and luggi - henry k
We have an Aqua Optima filter jug.
We are in a hard water area but even using the filtered water there is some some scale in the kettle.
Filters are either 30 or 60 day life.
I do not monitor the situation re life of the filter but the water flow eventually slows so I am then forced to change it.
I have just bought online a pack of 18 x 60 day filters for £35.
To my surprise by far the cheapest source was the company makers
Far far cheaper than Ebay.
You have to go down a few levels on the web site to find the deal.

I do not usually drink neat water but SWMBO is happy with filtered water so....
 Water filter Me, I'm fed up with buying and luggi - Dog
>>I've been drinking it straight out of the tap all my life, and I'm still alive

I 'spose next you'll be saying you've smoked since you were 14, and you're still alive.

>> I 'spose next you'll be saying you've smoked since you were 14, and you're still alive.

No Perro, quite a lot older than 14. Mid-twenties.

Unlike many, I became addicted to tobacco after getting a taste for cannabis. The worst thing dope ever did to me.
 Water filter Me, I'm fed up with buying and luggi - legacylad
Strange that AC... My Californian friend has smoked cannabis on and off since she was 17, thats 35 years ago, yet never touched tobacco.
It's different in the US.

I had a friend who used to put a lot of tobacco in the joints. It made me feel very ill at first, but then I got used to it (and addicted to tobacco).
 Water filter Me, I'm fed up with buying and luggi - devonite
We are lucky enough to live in a soft water area, so the water tastes great straight from the tap! and we get no scale in our kettles or washers!. Unfortunately, the human body has evolved to use the buffering of hard water to combat the acids caused by metabolism, so a slight drawback is that there is a higher risk of premature organ failure and metabolic Acidosis in soft water folk! - every luxury has a price!
 Water filter Me, I'm fed up with buying and luggi - Manatee
Ours in the Pennines was reservoir water, very pure and soft. Here on the chalk it is aquifer stuff I think, quite hard anyway.

I eventually got fed up with the gravelly bits from the kettle in my tea, and we now use a Brita jug for kettle and coffee machine water. It's been fairly easy so far to get the Maxtra filters for £2.50 or less on multibuys and offers and we just stock up when cheap.

If I want a glass of water, I use the tap.
 Water filter Me, I'm fed up with buying and luggi - sherlock47
Not sure if a water filter would have sufficed -MD, are you in the area that was affected?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camelford_water_pollution_incident

Water filter Me, I'm fed up with buying and luggi - MD
>> Not sure if a water filter would have sufficed -MD, are you in the area
>> that was affected?
>> en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camelford_water_pollution_incident
>>
No Mr. Holmes. I've only one head!! :0)

I'll explain. We're in a soft water area. No scaling up of stuff...ever. It's just that the tap water tastes carp in Tea. Not always, but mostly always. I can drink a pint of it down straight from the tap and it's fine. For an opposing view to CG if it's left to settle then it can be bleed*** awful. I feel quite aggrieved having to pay for the stuff when it's so inconsistent. As someone else said, bottled water has no 'taste' and I would describe it as soulless. Also I really don't like the packaging waste.

I will experiment with 'over' boiling as has been suggested and also leaving some in the fridge.

Watch this space.

Regards to all........
If you want t make tea with it no need to put it in the fridge, just let it stand for a few hours before use
>>No Perro, quite a lot older than 14. Mid-twenties.

Possibly explains how you're still going strong at 77. I had my first fag at school, musta bin about 12 I reckon.

I was on barbs and amps (uppers & downers) in my early teens + hashish and acid.

No wonder I'm not right in the head.

:o}
 Water filter Me, I'm fed up with buying and luggi - mikeyb
As part of Mrs B's new kitchen we have just had one of those instant hot water taps fitted.

It has a filter cartridge under the sink. The hot water used for tea is definitely better - no scum floating on the surface of the tea.

Apparently the cartridge lasts 6 months and costs about £40
 Water filter Me, I'm fed up with buying and luggi - smokie
I had a tap with three knobs fitted a few years back, one is for a cold water which goes through a filter under the sink. It's a Brita and they last about 3 months. They move between a tad under £30 and £45 on Amazon. www.amazon.co.uk/BRITA-P1000-Water-Filter-Cartridge/dp/B003X26VS2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1469462239&sr=8-1&keywords=p1000

I can't tell the difference but SWMBO can.
 Water filter Me, I'm fed up with buying and luggi - Cliff Pope

>> I can't tell the difference but SWMBO can.
>>

Our water is from a private spring, untreated, and tastes gorgeous.
All tap water tastes disgusting, in various degrees, and bottled water in my experience is tasteless.

I'm surprised there has been no movement for organic water, or Campaign for Real Water.
 Water filter Me, I'm fed up with buying and luggi - rtj70
Those instant boiling hot water taps look dangerous to me. Be careful!
 Water filter Me, I'm fed up with buying and luggi - No FM2R
We have one in the UK and have had for a few years. No issues with it.

Lets be honest, ordinary hot taps are hurt enough to hurt, albeit not enough to scald, I wouldn't want to stick my hand under either.
 Water filter Me, I'm fed up with buying and luggi - rtj70
Your tap in the UK will be perfectly safe when you're in Chile :-) Still don't think I want or need one.
 Water filter Me, I'm fed up with buying and luggi - No FM2R
>>Still don't think I want or need one.

I thought the same when she wanted it, but it does rather grow on you. And rather irritates when you don't have it.
>> >>Still don't think I want or need one.
>>
>> I thought the same when she wanted it, but it does rather grow on you.
>> And rather irritates when you don't have it.
>>

I didn't want or need one, and in fact, had convinced someone else that we couldn't afford one......until dam costco had them as a special offer just as the guys started installing the new kitchen....

I have to say though, its grown on me. It is a lot more convenient than boiling the kettle
 Water filter Me, I'm fed up with buying and luggi - Roger.
Brita jug & filters for us. Always buy the filters on good offers - 12 at a time if possible.
Started using the Brita system in Spain, just 'cos of unpleasant flavour of tap water.
We now have water from Severn Trent, so it's probably well used by the time we get it.
Our kettle is pretty much scale free, as a bonus.
 Water filter Me, I'm fed up with buying and luggi - Dulwich Estate II
London Water is the stuff. I drink a lot of it, always straight from the tap. It's not expensive and just appears with a quick flick of the wrist on that cold tap thing. I wouldn't even think of drinking any other type of flat (non-sparkling) water at home.

However, in some other places the ordinary tap water can taste foul - really, really foul.
An alternative water ?

" "It is safe to shower, bathe, and washing [sic] clothing! We ask that you do not ingest the water."

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-36864432
 Water filter Me, I'm fed up with buying and luggi - sooty123
>> As part of Mrs B's new kitchen we have just had one of those instant
>> hot water taps fitted.
>>
>>

how do those work, i take it there's a constant store of hot water somewhere under the worktop?
===> www.telegraph.co.uk/money/ask-a-money-expert/i-want-an-instant-boiling-water-tap--will-it-cost-more-than-usin/

8-)
>> how do those work, i take it there's a constant store of hot water somewhere
>> under the worktop?

Its a small box - probably about 10" X 6" that sits in the unit under the sink, and is fed by a mains water supply through a filter cartridge. Ours holds 2.5 ltrs from memory, and its kept at a constant temp for whenever you need it. Also useful for when you need hot water in a pan for pasta, vegetables etc

This is the one we have:-

tinyurl.com/zsf7ztx

They appear to have dropped in price significantly over the last couple of years though
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 26 Jul 16 at 12:47
 Water filter Me, I'm fed up with buying and luggi - MD
Well after all this time we've bought a Brita Maxtra +. Tea has never tasted so good.
 Water filter Me, I'm fed up with buying and luggi - Manatee
Yes they do work...not much to 'filter' out of your soft water except the chlorine but I think it does 'de-ionise' it.

We use one just to reduce kettle/coffee machine scaling and it works for that. I still drink tap water; being from a soft water area it tasted foul to me at first (1993) but now I'm long inured.

We get about 6 weeks out of a cartridge.
 Water filter Me, I'm fed up with buying and luggi - R.P.
Oddly, and only found out (literally - proper meaning - by accident) we have one fitted to the American style fridge/freezer that came with the house. Due to the accident had to replace the plumbing between the filter and the freezer and replaced the filter at the same time.
>>we've bought a Brita Maxtra +. Tea has never tasted so good.

Couldn't agree more. We've had a number of water filters over the years, the most recent being the Brita Maxtra.

It's used for tea, coffee, glasses of water and pop, and topping up the steam iron. The filters are changed around every 6 weeks or so.
 Water filter Me, I'm fed up with buying and luggi - VxFan
>> Well after all this time we've bought a Brita Maxtra

We've had a Brita water filter jug for a number of years now. The kettle has never needed descaling since owning one.
 Water filter Me, I'm fed up with buying and luggi - Roger.
We two, too!
I have had for many years an Aqua Optima produced Galia jug.
My cartridges last approx two months ( one month versions also available.)
It certainly reduces the scale in our hard water area and I rarely need to clean the " kettle"

Latest Forum Posts