Non-motoring > 'Military action' in Turkey Miscellaneous
Thread Author: sooty123 Replies: 30

'Military action' in Turkey - sooty123
The government denies it's a coup, however it seems various bridges have been seized, tanks are at the airport in Istanbul, military aircraft have been seen over istanbul.
 'Military action' in Turkey - R.P.
It looks like a coup attempt at the very least...
The army have been seen arresting the police, tanks are stopping flights in Istanbul and ankara.
This was the nightmare scenario in the 80s. NATO losing its Southern/Eastern flank to a coup. Cue Soviet forces moving into the middle East. The end of days are near...
I think theres been quite a few coups in the last 50 years in Turkey.
 'Military action' in Turkey - Dutchie
I am not surprised,this president is taking Turkey back to the dark ages.He be on the run soon unless he has the backing of his scared followers.
 'Military action' in Turkey - smokie
I reckon this could be back to normal in 24 hours, like the Pres says. The bits on Sky up to now seem to show the locals are fairly anti-army.

Boris must be wondering what he let himself in for, with serious incidents two nights running!
It looks like the coup has been put down. The president is back in Istanbul and many of the soldiers have been arrested. looks like he was more popular than they thought, especially in the military.
 'Military action' in Turkey - legacylad
Morning all
Beautifully sunny day here again in Bodrum, sitting on my balcony looking over the sea to the town. I've read another few chapters of 'Atonement' and heading down for some fresh fruit, brown bread & honey for bfast. More swimming in the sea, lounging by the pool, grilled fish for lunch, then a session in the gym before dinner.
I hear there has been some unpleasantness elsewhere....if it all kicks off I shall have to take refuge on a lilo in the pool
Ttfn
 'Military action' in Turkey - Cliff Pope
>> I think there've been quite a few coups in the last 50 years in Turkey.
>>
>>

Just routine - a bit as we sometimes get worked up over a football match or a referendum.
Coups are never routine people do get killed.

Turkey under rule of this dictator is in a mess.Erdogan knows it is the beginning of the end for him.He is a hyprocrite, he came on social media which he likes to ban, to ask the support of people attacking the soldiers.
Not wishing to denigrate the seriousness of the matter but the only coup in my part of Turkey are the ring necked doves drinking out of the swimming pools
4 minutes to beer o'clock & counting....
Last edited by: legacylad on Sat 16 Jul 16 at 09:57
m.He is a hyprocrite, he came on social media which he
>> likes to ban, to ask the support of people attacking the soldiers.
>>

And yet they came on the streets for him. Clearly a big misjudgement of the public mood and the rest of the military by the plotters.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Sat 16 Jul 16 at 10:09
 'Military action' in Turkey - No FM2R
Dutchie is right. A failed coup and 170 dead people is not routine.

Whilst Erdogan got through this one, and may even feel stronger for it, I should think that this is almost certainly the beginning of his end.

LL I don't know how much longer you are there but it seems logistical chaos is more likely to be your problem than violence. Disrupted flights and that stuff.
 'Military action' in Turkey - Ian (Cape Town)
I see the ringleaders have high-tailed it by chopper to Greece.
Now - EU law question - are the Greeks obliged by law to hand the chaps back if Turkey asks nicely?
Turkey and Greece don't really get on
 'Military action' in Turkey - Ian (Cape Town)
>> Turkey and Greece don't really get on
>>
Nope.
So a bit of 'desperate' in their escape, isn't it?
 'Military action' in Turkey - Armel Coussine
In his youth my father went to Greece to walk, climb and stay in monasteries. Much later, in his last job, he was a NATO official on some level and in that capacity used to visit Turkey.

He thought the Turks were funny, and liked them a lot while being fully aware of their capacity for ferociousness. I seem to have taken after him, in enjoying foreign parts and their inhabitants.
I return to Yeadon airport ( oops, I mean Leeds Bradford International) early the 23rd July. I don't think there were any problems at Bodrum airport... Just awaiting a reply from a Gulet operator and may stay on.
 'Military action' in Turkey - Bromptonaut
>> Turkey and Greece don't really get on

And that, together with linked issue of Cyprus, is why Turkey won;t join the EU anytime soon.

Another lie told by Leave.
 'Military action' in Turkey - movilogo
Not necessarily a lie. Turkey still has chances to join EU.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3695492/If-reinstate-death-penalty-kill-chances-joining-EU-Germany-tells-Turkey.html

Makes me believe that we left EU just at right time :)
Last edited by: movilogo on Mon 18 Jul 16 at 13:44
 'Military action' in Turkey - zippy
>> I see the ringleaders have high-tailed it by chopper to Greece.
>> Now - EU law question - are the Greeks obliged by law to hand the
>> chaps back if Turkey asks nicely?
>>

As I understand it, not if the ringleaders face the death penalty, though they can if Turkey gives assurances that the ringleaders will not be subject to the death penalty.
Erdogan given assurances? I doubt it.

The E.U is partly to blame for his powerbase.They kept Turkey on a string to join the E.U.It was never going to happen hence a leader who wants to go back to history once he took over.
 'Military action' in Turkey - Falkirk Bairn
In 1969 there was an attempted coup in Saudi Arabia by Air Force Officers & others on the Gulf of Persia side of the country.

They were duly rounded up & put on a Hercules transporter aircraft to be flown west to the capital over the "Empty Quarter" which is desert. The plane was "empty" when it arrived in Riyadh.
 'Military action' in Turkey - zippy
And we call these barbarians friends and allies!
Has the visa free travel for Turkish citizens in to Schengen area been implemented yet?
Looks like theres a purge going on at the moment, 14,000 judges, military personnel and police arrested or suspended.
Probably anyone showing inclination towards secularism will be purged and those towards hard line islam will have their power increased.

I suspect that your correct. They won't be having any more coups for a long time, if ever.
>> And we call these barbarians friends and allies!
>>

No what we call them is absolutely loaded.
The purge continues, 15000 education staff have been suspended. I think that's 30000 people that have been suspended, arrested or sacked since the coup.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Tue 19 Jul 16 at 15:46
Latest Forum Posts