Non-motoring > UKIP leadership thread Vol 1 Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 80

UKIP leadership thread Vol 1 - smokie
Falling over themselves not to be leader! Where's Rog in their hour of need?

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36756379
 UKIP leadership thread Vol 1 - tyrednemotional
- just like the dog who habitually chases cars, and now, having finally caught up with one, doesn't know what to do with it.........
 UKIP leadership thread Vol 1 - Stuu
>> just like the dog who habitually chases cars, and now, having finally caught up with one, doesn't know what to do with it <<

They will be having a good old fashioned purge, that's what lol
 UKIP leadership thread Vol 1 - CGNorwich
They need to bring back their messiah who let the nation out of the wilderness in to the land of milk and honey.
 UKIP leadership thread Vol 1 - No FM2R
Doesn't really matter though, does it?

Or does anybody think the party has any relevance? You can put any idiot in charge of UKIP for people to worship, they are hardly the most discerning of supporters.
>>They need to bring back their messiah who let the nation out of the wilderness in to the land of milk and honey<<

Please no, although in truth he hasn't gone very far by all accounts.

I think you will find it was Matthew Elliot and Co that did the leading, I am not sure Nigel led anyone outside the core vote to do anything.

>> I am not sure Nigel led anyone outside the core vote to do anything.
>>

Heresy!

Stone him!
Lol, my name is already on a list somewhere and they can kiss me behind :-)
 UKIP leadership thread Vol 1 - Roger.
Well, so far we have had a talk from one of our MEPs, Mike Hookem, who supports Bill Etheridge. Some good ideas, but Bill has baggage, both personal and political, and I rather doubt that he has the necessary leadership qualities we need. He is however, a West Midlands man through and through and would resonate with our core potential supporters
Tonight we are off to hear Diane James in a Q & A session. She is personable and a decent media performer. She is, unfortunately, a South East character, who is a bit far away from the post-industrial heartlands we need to support us.
The rest of the crew are, in my view, nowhere near the quality we need at a time when, rather like the Labour Party, we are embroiled in internal squabbles.
Steven Woolfe would have been my choice, but he monumentally up-cocked his nomination by delaying it until the very last minute, no allowing time for communication hiccups and missing the deadline (for whatever reason - cue mutterings by some, of deliberate delays) by 17 minutes even though his five grand deposit was in in time.
Such silliness, from an experienced person (a lawyer & MEP, no less) did not inspire confidence.

Last edited by: Roger. on Tue 23 Aug 16 at 10:19
>>Well, so far we have had a talk from one of our MEPs, Mike Hookem, who supports Bill Etheridge. Some good ideas, but Bill has baggage, both personal and political, and I rather doubt that he has the necessary leadership qualities we need. He is however, a West Midlands man through and through and would resonate with our core potential supporters
Tonight we are off to hear Diane James in a Q & A session. She is personable and a decent media performer. She is, unfortunately, a South East character, who is a bit far away from the post-industrial heartlands we need to support us.
The rest of the crew are, in my view, nowhere near the quality we need at a time when, rather like the Labour Party, we are embroiled in internal squabbles.
Steven Woolfe would have been my choice, but he monumentally up-cocked his nomination by delaying it until the very last minute, no allowing time for communication hiccups and missing the deadline (for whatever reason - cue mutterings by some, of deliberate delays) by 17 minutes even though his five grand deposit was in in time.
Such silliness, from an experienced person (a lawyer & MEP, no less) did not inspire confidence.<<

I very much agree with you on Bill, he is far too old school to reach beyond the core.

As far as I can tell, Diane is only on the ballot as a back up to Steven Woolfe potentially failing in his nomination, for that particular faction of the party, but thus far I am unconvinced she really wanted it, nor is she capable of taking the party anywhere. Some of the people supporting her are somewhat unsavoury too.

As far as Woolfe goes, I think he could have got his nomination in on time if he had wished to do so, I shall say no more...

I don't know the others except Lisa Duffy who I have met several times. Good ground campaigner and was winning local seats when UKIP was polling single digits, but her attempt to tackle extremism set off my libertarian alarm bells and I very much disagree with much of her policy ideas on that front.
However, with Arnott standing down from the contest, who I most likely would have voted for, she is the best of a bad bunch and if she utilises Paul Nuttall well, which I suspect she would, I may go down that route, realising that there is no ideal choice.
 UKIP leadership thread Vol 1 - Pat
It's all a waste of time!

Nige will come back with a good 'middle of the road' party once labour have finally buried themselves and will win the next election.

Pat
"Nige will come back"

Ah! the second coming! I shall look out of a star i and a posse of wise men from the East - Lowestoft way I guess
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Tue 23 Aug 16 at 18:36
>>Ah! the second coming! <<

Actually, if he came back it would be the fourth coming...
 UKIP leadership thread Vol 1 - Pat
Nooooo, it will be incoming from Leiston, they're dodgy around there!

Pat
 UKIP leadership thread Vol 1 - NortonES2
He'll be in good company then. Or at least compatible.
 UKIP leadership thread Vol 1 - Roger.
Diane was good last night. Confident, eloquent, believable and answered all the questions put to her, fully.
She is working hard to cover the country with "Meet Diana" evenings and has made a decision not to engage in hustings, believing that they are of little value in evaluating leadership qualities, while at the same time giving the media fodder about splits/arguments in the party.
She received a standing ovation at the end of the session from a lot of hard headed Yorkshire (and North Nottinghamshire!) folk.
She is our Branch Officials recommended choice, although our members can, of course, vote for whom they please.
Lisa Duffy is a decent election organiser but has the charisma of a wet rag. Elizabeth Jones is an ambitious unknown, Philip Broughton is similarly unknown in the party apart from a decent by-election showing.
Diane for UKIP.
 UKIP leadership thread Vol 1 - rtj70
Does anyone other than Roger and Stu care who replaces Nige?
I don't care that much myself, Diane's people are promising to purge anyone that doesn't vote for her, so I'm out anyway :-)
 UKIP leadership thread Vol 1 - Dog
I'd rather, um, have Diane James than Bill Etheridge, but they are both unknown quantities to me TBH.
 UKIP leadership thread Vol 1 - Dog
>>I'd rather, um, have Diane James than Bill Etheridge

Haha! www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37387162
 UKIP leader to stand down - rtj70
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37558485

Lasted 18 days it seems. Or might not be true.
 UKIP leader to stand down - Timeonmyhands
Didn't last as long as the England football team manager.
 UKIP leader to stand down - Cliff Pope
I've forgotten what UKIP is now. I must have been asleep.
 UKIP leader to stand down - Bromptonaut
All over the news this morning. Seems she hadn't even been formally registered with the Electoral Commission. Technically Nigel is still holding the leaders baton and remains so pending a new election

Unless the Messiah returns by acclamation.
 UKIP leader to stand down - Roger.
Personally I'm very disappointed that she has proved to be so flaky.
I really thought she had more about her, particularly as my wife & I went to one of her leadership tour meetings and were impressed enough to vote for her.

Yes, the party is in deep cack at present, but then so are Labour, not that that is a comfort in our present circumstances.

I think Nigel will not return as leader, as he is only too aware of the mocking publicity which that would generate.

We, as a party are having to re-invent ourselves, now that the hard fought for referendum has gone our way and the Tories, under Theresa May's leadership are not only pinching some our best policies, but actually sounding as if they MIGHT implement a proper withdrawal for the E.U.

If we do not elect a really strong individual as leader (I favour Steven Wolfe) realistically, we will lose members and support like snow in summer.

Many of you on this forum are, shall we say, not sympathetic to UKIP and no doubt you are quietly (or not quietly) pleased at our present state.

Time will tell, I guess, whether we will survive as a political force.
No-one can deny that for a party with so little in the way of political clout in the HoC, we have changed Britain's approach to our Continental neighbours. I believe that is good: many of you think it is not.
We will have to differ on that.

UKIP leader to stand down - smokie
"I think Nigel will not return as leader..."

Think again!! www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37561065 (OK, only as interim...)
 UKIP leader to stand down - No FM2R
What a bunch of absolute muppets.
 UKIP leader to stand down - CGNorwich
British ( and American come to that) politics have truly descended into farce.
 UKIP leader to stand down - movilogo
UKIP = Farage

Let Farage oversee May on Brexit and then UKIP and Conservatives can merge. Happy ending.

There could be other endings too - for example Conservative split between pro-EU and anti-EU while anti-EU + UKIP becoming a new Brexit party.

Don't laugh - anything is possible now. Who would have thought OUT vote to win?

;-)
Last edited by: movilogo on Wed 5 Oct 16 at 12:14
Let Farage oversee May? I don't think so... He doesn't even have a constitutional position in the UK government does he? She's quite capable enough without old swivel eyes looking on...
 UKIP leader to stand down - Bromptonaut

>>She's quite capable enough without old swivel eyes looking on...

And she's got more than enough swivel eyed loons already - see Redwood, Rees Mogg etc.
 UKIP leader to stand down - Robin O'Reliant
>>
>>
>> And she's got more than enough swivel eyed loons already - see Redwood, Rees Mogg
>> etc.
>>
Corbyn doesn't need any. His eyes swivel enough on their own.
 UKIP leader to stand down - madf
These remarks abut loons are out of orders.

Loons are peaceful intelligent creatures.
Last edited by: madf on Wed 5 Oct 16 at 21:21
 UKIP leader to stand down - Bobby
A few months ago, pre Brexit, we were told that there would be a real possibility of Trump and Johnson in power by end of year.

From what I am seeing so far, I fear that May is actually a scarier prospect than Johnson.

This country is in trouble, big style.
What's scary about May? Isn't she just trying to implement "the country's" desire?

I think I said somewhere earlier, she can't ever be popular with the lefts and the rights or the Ins and the Outs. Impossible task.
Last edited by: smokie on Wed 5 Oct 16 at 23:24
 UKIP leader - candidate injured - henry k
UKIP leadership hopeful Steven Woolfe was taken to hospital following an altercation at a meeting of party MEPs, interim leader Nigel Farage has said

In a statement he said Mr Woolfe had "subsequently collapsed" and his "condition is serious".

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37572377
 UKIP leader - candidate injured - BrianByPass
Allegedly punched by "Hookem"!

In a statement Steven Woolfe said:

The CT scan has shown that there is no blood clot in the brain.

I am feeling brighter, happier and smiling as ever. I am sitting up and said to look well.

The only consequence at the moment is a bit of numbness on the left hand side of my face.

I am being kept in overnight awaiting secondary tests to make sure everything is fine.

This is a consequence of (choose your preferred "karma"):
- Cameron calling referendum
- Brexit win
- Farage giving up leadership
- Woolfe missing deadline for candidacy by 15 mins due to internet problems
- Diane James resigning as Ukip leader after only 18 days
- Woolfe wanting to join Tories
- Woolfe wanting to stand for Ukip leadership
- Hookem allegedly hooking Woolfe after losing an argument

I blame it on Cameron and Brexit ;-)
Last edited by: BrianByPass on Thu 6 Oct 16 at 15:21
 UKIP leader - candidate injured - No FM2R
UKIP supporters must be so proud...

From the Granuad...

“Stephen Woolfe has then taken his jacket off, walked over and said, ‘Right, you outside now’ or words to that effect,” the source told the Guardian. “They went outside and Stephen Woolfe got the brunt of it.”
 UKIP leader - candidate injured - Dog
>>Allegedly punched by "Hookem"!

Hook'em by name ...! He is 62 apparently, and an ex soldier, whereas the wolf is just a boy of 49.
 UKIP leader - candidate injured - Dutchie
One punch can cause a lot of damage Dog Hook em is he from Ull.?
>>One punch can cause a lot of damage

Affirmative, especially if the recipient cracks his/her nut on the way down :(

>>is he from Ull.?

Hull?
 UKIP leader - candidate injured - Stuartli
It must be stated that Hookem has emphatically denied the allegations.
 UKIP leader - candidate injured - madf
UKIP make soap operas appear credible.

House of Cards looks tame by comparison.
 UKIP leader - candidate injured - smokie
I guess whatisname took advantage of free reciprocal medical arrangements which we currently enjoy with much of Europe.
 UKIP leader - candidate injured - Ambo
It was just one of those things that happen between UKIP MEPs.
 UKIP leader - candidate injured - legacylad
Shame it doesn't happen more often in uk politics. I can think of several MPs who I would like to see involved in a mass brawl. Not very dignified, but a lot of MPs are coniving t***s in my opinion and deserve a good slap.
"Mike Hookem acknowledged he and his colleague had a "scuffle" in the European Parliament but insisted that he did not hit him.

"I am innocent," he told the BBC. "I never threw a punch. I never assaulted him. I will stand my corner.""

Isn't "standing my corner" a boxing term, in which case seems a little ironic...?
 UKIP leader - candidate injured - Duncan
>> "I am innocent," he told the BBC. "I never threw a punch. I never assaulted
>> him. I will stand my corner.""
>>
>> Isn't "standing my corner" a boxing term, in which case seems a little ironic...?

I understand it to mean that "I will buy my fair share of rounds of drinks".
Oh yeah, maybe you're right... :-)
www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/30/matt-cartoons-october-2016/

:o)
 UKIP leader - candidate injured - Pat
www.stevenwoolfe.uk/news--press/statement-from-steven-woolfe-mep

Pat
 UKIP leader - candidate injured - madf
Hmm circus continues..
 UKIP leader - candidate injured - Stuu
>>Hmm circus continues <<

More a continuation of the circus that has been in session since May 2015, only nobody really noticed until the issues crystalised.

Woolfe was never going to stay once his Tory flirtations were aired and many wanted him gone after that, so it isn't that shocking that he has gone, only the Tories now don't want him either.

Every candidate so far that Farage has supported has fallen flat on their face and if he is, as suggested, backing Raheem Kassam, he will I suspect be going for a hat trick.

In other unworldly UKIP news, my branch is now being run by an ex-trade union strategist and former Labour man, which may prove rather timely if the party sorts itself out to go after the Labour vote. Interesting times.
>>Every candidate so far that Farage has supported has fallen flat on their face and if he is, as suggested, backing Raheem Kassam

How many rounds so you think Kassam could go with Bashem or whatever his name is?

:o}
 UKIP leader - candidate injured - fluffy
UKIP should fold and all UK followers of UKIP should join and vote Conservative.

As you can gather FLUFFY is back and raring to go.
 UKIP leader - candidate injured - CGNorwich
Should Fluffy go or should he stay?
 UKIP leader - candidate injured - fluffy
Fluffy should stay.
The Dog, The Dog, He's At It Again.!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=313zsTyVcsg

God.
Ah Raheem, such a rich Twitter history, he is keeping journalists in work just combing through it, at least that which he hasn't tried to delete. Sadly for him screenshots exist of it all, that is what happens when you are an abrasive bully.

Paul or Suzanne, not sure yet but either works for me, a good choice to have, unlike last time.
 UKIP leader - candidate injured - Roger.
Raheem = disaster.
Suzanne is a Common Purpose graduate, apparently.
Definitely one who wants to move the party to the, already occupied, middle ground.
>>Suzanne is a Common Purpose graduate, apparently.<<

According to who?

>>Definitely one who wants to move the party to the, already occupied, middle ground.<<

She has said common ground, not centre ground which refers mostly to the outdated one-dimensional political spectrum journalists utilise, a different thing entirely. Any suggestion of not being ultra/extreme right/left is currently being twisted to mean aping the Lib Dems, as if anyone would really want to!

Common ground was the platform Nigel was pushing 2013-2015 and you couldn't accuse him of being a centrist. Far too much misquoting going around at the moment in aid of scoring political points, except Raheem who appears to be undermined mostly by his own actions.
>> >>Suzanne is a Common Purpose graduate, apparently.<<
>>
>> According to who?

Probably not true, of course. I did say "apparently". I see she has denied it.
My bad - lack of deeper research again. :-(
As she is not a CP grad, I apologise to her as it's a point in her favour, but I still cannot get to like or trust her. Too close to Carswell and O'Flynn (disappointing pair) for my taste, although she IS, as might be expected, good on the media circuit.
I must say Roger, I have had many exchanges with Suzanne and unlike many senior Kippers, she responds personally, rather than have some assistant reply on her behalf with a generic load of rubbish.
I once raised the issue of food waste and whether the waste food could be re-purposed to help the less well-off - she not only responded recounting a personal experience of her father trying to donate some excess fruit from his garden trees and being rejected, but she then highlighted the issue the next day on social media. I find that personal touch very rare indeed in senior politicians and is the kind of open attitude to party members I would like to see in the future.
When Nigel came to my town during the referendum, he had no interest in meeting the local branch, even when we were in the same building, so someone who takes a more genuine interest in grassroots activists would be a big change, though Nuttall also is I think that way minded.
I think Carswell and O'Flynn have their place, just like most others ( loonies aside ) and most of the hassle has its roots in personality clashes rather than anything important - contrary to what many think, Carswell is well liked by many and he has been responsible for some excellent domestic policy work from the policy unit, so haughty he certainly can be, but he contributes very valuable work too.
 UKIP leader - candidate injured - Bromptonaut
>> Suzanne is a Common Purpose graduate, apparently.

For that to matter at all you must first swallow the Common Purpose conspiracy schtick.
 UKIP leader - candidate injured - sooty123
>> >> Suzanne is a Common Purpose graduate, apparently.
>>
>> For that to matter at all you must first swallow the Common Purpose conspiracy schtick.
>>
>>

Who or what is Common Purpose?
Last edited by: sooty123 on Tue 25 Oct 16 at 20:46
www.tpuc.org/who-are-common-purpose/
Sounds all a bit woo woo to me.
 UKIP leader - candidate injured - Bromptonaut
Their website is here:

commonpurpose.org/

a Wiki entry describing them:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Purpose_UK

I'm sceptical of organisations of that ilk eg Investors in People but recognise they may help some folks/organisations to improve.

There is though an industry of seeing CP as an EU oriented conspiracy:

www.cpexposed.com/about-common-purpose

www.stopcp.com/

It would seem that they haven't been successful (if that was their actual purpose) as we are about to start leaving the EU.
In internal UKIP politics accusations of being Common Purpose, a 'Tory' or indeed a liberal ( despite Farage describing himself as one ) have become terms of abuse.

Most of it is just conspiracy theories started by people who have an agenda against individuals and there is very little fact involved, plus many of those who went about calling others 'Tories' have left and joined the Tories for instance, the irony.

UKIP leader - Donkey Derby ! - R.P.
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-37753012

UKIP leader - Donkey Derby ! - Roger.
All parties have folk who do not engage brains before utterance. He is one of ours :-)
 UKIP leader - Farage Resigns - Bromptonaut
Nigel Farage has resigned from UKIP over it's direction under Mr Batten:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46448299
 UKIP leader - Farage Resigns - No FM2R
I thought he already did that ages ago?
 UKIP leader - Farage Resigns - VxFan
>> I thought he already did that ages ago?

Wasn't that just as their leader, not from UKIP itself.
 UKIP leader - Farage Resigns - No FM2R
>> >> I thought he already did that ages ago?
>>
>> Wasn't that just as their leader, not from UKIP itself.

I think you're right.

Bit dumb even for Farage to quit as leader and then quit because he doesn't like to direction.

Does anybody take him seriously these days though?
 UKIP leader - Farage Resigns - CGNorwich
Roger?
 UKIP leader - Farage Resigns - movilogo
May be he wants to setup a new Brexit party.
 UKIP leader - Farage Resigns - henry k
Paul Nuttall quits UKIP
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-46481107
 UKIP leader - Farage Resigns - R.P.
It must be bad. One of our AMs has quit as well. Odd man. Anti immigration (both European and the rest of the world) and used to employ carers from the far east in his arm's length care home.
Latest Forum Posts