Non-motoring > Rate of growth of toenails Miscellaneous
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 27

Rate of growth of toenails - L'escargot
'Er indoors is finding it difficult to cut her own toenails and is considering having them cut by a foot care person. At what time interval would she need to make appointments?
 Rate of growth of toenails - FotheringtonTomas
Can't you cut them?

Answering the question, the periods between which toenail cutting is necessary probably varies between individuals, and could be seasonal.
 Rate of growth of toenails - Hard Cheese

One foot a week ...

... no not the rate of growth, rather cut one foot a week ;-)

>> ... no not the rate of growth, rather cut one foot a week ;-)

Crikey, that means a visit for both feet once a fortnight. I'd better start putting money aside.
 Rate of growth of toenails - Cliff Pope
And depends on temperature. Nails are visibly longer after a hot soak in the bath (as well as being easier to cut).
>> Can't you cut them?

Because she's diabetic she has to be careful that her feet don't get damaged, i.e. skin doesn't get broken etc. She'd rather have them seen to by a profesional.
 Rate of growth of toenails - VxFan
>> Because she's diabetic she has to be careful that her feet don't get damaged, i.e.
>> skin doesn't get broken etc. She'd rather have them seen to by a profesional.

>> I'd better start putting money aside.

As she's diabetic, she might be able to get it done on the NHS.

www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1099.aspx?CategoryID=68&SubCategoryID=154
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 4 Aug 10 at 10:20
 Rate of growth of toenails - FotheringtonTomas
>> >> Can't you cut them?
>>
>> Because she's diabetic she has to be careful that her feet don't get damaged, i.e.
>> skin doesn't get broken etc. She'd rather have them seen to by a profesional.

Hang on - she has hitherto done her own? Gosh, that was a risk! Lucky she got away with it for so long. I wonder what how one becomes a "profesional toe-nail cutter"? Toe-nail cutting examinations?
She had them done this morning, She's been given another appointment for 7 weeks time, so that must be an average time for toenails to regrow. The Foot Health Practitioner said she had been on an 18-month course at Birmingham University and was qualified in all aspects of foot health.
 Rate of growth of toenails - Telb
I too am diabetic (T2) and go to the chiropodist every 6 - 8 weeks. It's good to go because as well as cutting, he can make sure there's nothing else going awry with me plates.

I could go NHS (probably not as frequently) but as Simplyhealth (was HSA) give me 80% back anyway I go to a much more convenient local man.

Terry
 Rate of growth of toenails - Zero
why is it that when you get old, toes produce nails that are the hardest substance known to man, eyebrows produce mutant single hairs that spring up overnight and threaten to grab and strangle the dog, and ear/nose orifices suddenly became fertile grounds for forests?
 Rate of growth of toenails - Armel Coussine
Do people mind terribly if we don't try to produce an exhaustive list of age symptoms? It will only get me into trouble, and it may upset me too.

STFU! (Zero will be able to work out what that means).
 Rate of growth of toenails - Iffy
...Do people mind terribly if we don't try to produce an exhaustive list of age symptoms?...

Censorship I don't like, polite requests I do.

I'm with AC on this one.
>> STFU! (Zero will be able to work out what that means).

and grumpiness - another symptom, thank god I am not that old yet.
When you are, Zero, and grumpiness finally replaces what we all fervently believe to be your Pollyannaishly sunny disposition, I shall be cackling heartlessly in my bath chair and waving my legs in the air, having lost the capacity to be disagreeable (second childhood).
>> your Pollyannaishly sunny disposition, I shall be cackling heartlessly in my bath chair and waving
>> my legs in the air,

And smelling of pee, dont forget that.
 Rate of growth of toenails - Iffy
...And smelling of pee, dont forget that...

Or sat on a plastic covered armchair smelling of disinfectant - if you end up in a nursing home.

>> smelling of pee, dont forget that.

Will that matter to one whose senses are fading? I think not. But I will get my carer to wheel me rapidly after you on your zimmer frame until we are almost touching. So you at least will be able to enjoy how right you were back now. Snigger, drool.
 Rate of growth of toenails - corax
>> Toe-nail cutting examinations?

I regularly see adverts in the local rag - 'toenail cutters' wanted.

Isn't that a character in the film Mad Max? Er no, that was 'the toecutter', beg your pardon :-)
Last edited by: corax on Wed 4 Aug 10 at 14:01
 Rate of growth of toenails - helicopter
I lost all my toenails a few years back , they turned black and came off - very painful ....... suffice to say I wear correctly fitting boots when climbing mountains now.

It took about two or three months for them to grow back . Anyway this thread reminded me of an old joke ......

So this chap breaks down on a lonely road at night .... eventually he sees a car and flags it down and says 'my cars broken down can you help?' to which the man replies 'my dear fellow I'm not a mechanic , I'm a chiropodist..'

'Well give me a toe then.....'

Wheres me coat?......
 Rate of growth of toenails - corax
>> I lost all my toenails a few years back , they turned black and came
>> off - very painful ....... suffice to say I wear correctly fitting boots when climbing
>> mountains now.

Same happened to me retpocileh, but only one big toenail. The boots were fine, but I left the toenail too long. Took a big step coming down, as you do, and felt the thing slam into the front of the boot. It turned black over the next couple of weeks. I went for a swim in the local swimming pool and felt it flapping off my toe, not pleasant, for me or the other swimmers.

In my holiday packing list, I now have a note 'remember to cut toenails' :-)
 Rate of growth of toenails - devonite
Down our local, we ask for "a bag of Brians Toenails please", when we want a bag of pork Scratchins! (Brian being one of the gnarly great un-washed regulars, - he takes it in good stead though! ;-)) doesn`t half put `er-indoors off though and makes for a cheap night out!
Last edited by: devonite on Thu 5 Aug 10 at 01:08
 Rate of growth of toenails - sherlock47
When I was playing football regularly in my younger days, I would forget to cut my toenails before the first game on a hard pitch in September. The Big toe nails (and some others) would go black and and fall off over next couple of months. By the following September they would be fully grown and I would be out of the habit of cutting them, and the cycle would start over again!
Last edited by: pmh on Thu 5 Aug 10 at 06:30

>> So this chap breaks ......
>>

What happened to my alternative "So this chap" ditty posted yesterday then?

Rate of growth of toenails - Webmaster
House Rules:-

The following posts or content are not allowed:-

5. Crude or sexually explicit content
Your Pantomime humour was blue pencilled along with my Del Boy and Rodney recollection which was considered fine to be aired by the BBC pre watershed.

Seems the posts were a bit too close to the knuckle for the censors here old Cheesy one ......

.....strangely enough a good friend of mine, now retired, did work for Cunard...and sailed the world for many years.

>> Seems the posts were a bit too close to the knuckle for the censors here
>>

Aha.

>> .....strangely enough a good friend of mine, now retired, did work for >>

Did he work hard?

;-)

Perhaps I should say that he worked hard for the leisure division of the Trafalgar House Group .....

:0)
Latest Forum Posts