Non-motoring > USB charger - 'G' ports Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Focusless Replies: 14

USB charger - 'G' ports - Focusless
Just bought one of these for hols abroad:
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391322558902

2 of the 6 ports are marked 'G', for charging 'Galaxy Tab etc.' - the supplier told me they can provide higher current. But does this mean I can't use them for phones, or will a phone just draw a lower current?

Off to villa near Faro (Portugal) on Saturday, where BBC weather is predicting it will be 34C :o
 USB charger - 'G' ports - VxFan
www.extremetech.com/computing/115251-how-usb-charging-works-or-how-to-avoid-blowing-up-your-smartphone

"If you have a modern USB device — really, almost any smartphone, tablet, or camera — you should be able to plug into a high-amperage USB port and enjoy faster charging. If you have an older device, however, it probably won’t work with USB ports that employ the Battery Charging Specification. It might only work with old school, original (500mA) USB 1.0 and 2.0 PC ports. In some (much older) cases, USB devices can only be charged by computers with specific drivers installed."

Also see lifehacker.com/pay-attention-to-charger-amperage-to-juice-up-your-gadg-1492446246

Thanks Dave. Might not need all 6 ports, but we're sharing villa with son plus both stepsons + partners so it could get a good work-out!
 USB charger - 'G' ports - Manatee
Get a proper one.

www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01F52DGBC

I have the 4 port one that I have been using for about 18 months -

www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00GX3BKKW

I wouldn't rely on the no-name ebay one, although it might be fine.
 USB charger - 'G' ports - Manatee
Apple devices can be fussy BTW.

I have a slightly differ version of the RAVpower 4 port one actually, although Amazon thinks I have the one listed. Mine has 2 x 2.4A and 2 x 1.0A. The iphone 4S will only charge from the 1 amp outlets.
Thanks, although I don't think anyone has an Apple - if they do I will suggest they use their own 'proper' charger :)
 USB charger - 'G' ports - smokie
I'd be interested to hear how you get on with that one Focusless. I have an old 3 port one which is fine (except only one port does my Xperia) so I end up taking a host of wall plugs and converters with me. That one is nice cos you can fit the right "nationality" plug before you go.
 USB charger - 'G' ports - VxFan
>> I wouldn't rely on the no-name ebay one, although it might be fine.

But then again, looking at it more closely, it appears to have the China Export logo and not the proper CE (Conformité Européene) marking, so might not be fine at all. The middle leg of the E is too long, and the spacing between C & E are closer together.

www.examinechina.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/ce-mark-fake.jpg
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 7 Jun 16 at 13:01
 USB charger - 'G' ports - rtj70
A Samsung Galaxy Tablet won't charge from a normal USB plug. If you plug in the 30 pin connector to anything other than the official one it won't charge. That's because it needs some pins shorting - you can buy an adapter to go on the end of a micro USB lead and then use in any USB plug.

Presumably this USB charger with G ports is compatible with Galaxy Tabs.
 USB charger - 'G' ports - No FM2R
Thanks for that, there's a mystery explained. No. 2's tablet has been driving me nuts.

I don't suppose you can complete the answer with "Why?" can you?
I'd recommend you test the charger with a few things - don't get there and find it doesn't work.

I bought a 4 port USB charger and when I plugged in a Galaxy Tab using the official lead it did not charge.

I've not tried the Galaxy charging from the fast charger that came with my current phone. Now that does charge quickly - but it will be using more than 5V... either 9V at 2A or 12V at 1.5A.
It's charged my phones ok. AFAIK no one's got a tablet.
It might be partly to do with the 2A charger it comes with because of the large 7000mA battery. But I just tried it with the fast charger (18W) that I have for the phone and it doesn't charge from that either.

Plug it into a USB plug via a Micro USB lead plus Galaxy Tab USB adapter, similar to this:

www.amazon.co.uk/PortaPow-Charging-Adapter-Converter-Samsung/dp/B00WME7FJQ/ref=sr_1_8?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1465303861&sr=1-8&keywords=tab+10.1+usb+adapter

And it charges.

I think it will charge when off and plugged into a normal USB plug. Not done exhaustive testing.
 USB charger - 'G' ports - Old Navy
I use one of these -

www.pcadvisor.co.uk/review/desktop-chargers/tronsmart-titan-desktop-charger-review-3631577/

It charges all our stuff, phones, tablets, kindles, cameras, satnav, etc.
But it won't charge a Samsung Galaxy Tab properly. I assume it won't for the reasons I've experienced, i.e. Samsung has wired the 30 pin connector to expect a load across certain pins.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 7 Jun 16 at 20:12
Latest Forum Posts