Non-motoring > Oh what to do this weekend.... Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 48

Oh what to do this weekend.... - No FM2R
Hah! Ski season opened yesterday, its snowing gangbusters, and the slope is about 45 minutes away!!

www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/El-Colorado/snow-report
 Oh what to do this weekend.... - Old Navy
And I am sure you find it too hot during our winter.
Not quite sure what you mean.

I typically feel like I'm freezing my a*** off in the UK. Never been too hot in my life. Too cold? Often?

Brazil - my kind of climate. Chile, too damned cold at nights.
The problem is the range of temperatures.

On the school run in the morning in the autumn, can be 8 or 9 degrees. By 3pm, can be 28 degrees, middle of the night, back around 4 or 5 degrees.

Even in the summer low 30s is fairly normal in the afternoon but can absolutely be single figures at night.

No humidity, no clouds, no heat retention.
Just checked the map, you are a bit further south than I thought. About 33° south, a lot nearer the equator than me (54° north).
And right next to the Pacific and the Andes, which distorts stuff even more.

The best bit about this climate? The rain. Or the lack of it. Its absolutely pouring down today. And that's the second time this year.
You need a Gulf stream to even things out a bit.
 Oh what to do this weekend.... - legacylad
I too have often dreamt about having a private jet.
 Oh what to do this weekend.... - CGNorwich
Yep with a Gulfstream the world is your oyster.

I would go for the G650ER. Ttake your family and friends

www.gulfstream.com/aircraft/gulfstream-g650er
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Fri 3 Jun 16 at 17:07
 Oh what to do this weekend.... - Falkirk Bairn
Flown 2 x in a 9 seat jet - 1987/88 IIRC - it was a 3 engine Falcon - it was actually some French plane but renamed Falcon for marketing reasons in the USA.

Glasgow to Stockholm - $h1t off a shovel take-off from Glasgow. It might only been a 9 seat plane but it could fly the Atlantic non stop - no need for refueling stops in Canada/Iceland.

Maybe 30 years ago but I still have fond memories of the 4 day stay - one meal for 10 cost me over £1000 and the drinks bill was modest - goodness knows how much things are in Sweden today.
 Oh what to do this weekend.... - sooty123
Maybe 30 years ago but I still have fond memories of the 4 day stay
>> - one meal for 10 cost me over £1000 and the drinks bill was modest
>> - goodness knows how much things are in Sweden today.
>>

Last time I was there a basic meal out was about the same. I do remember though that the locals said the Norwegians used to come across the boarder as they thought it was cheap. When we went across to Norway, I'd say it was 25-30% more like for like.
Most expensive place I've bought a pint, I think it was about £11.
 Oh what to do this weekend.... - Mapmaker
>>Hah!

Pah.
 Oh what to do this weekend.... - Armel Coussine
The very thought of being that rich makes my blood run cold. Bodyguards, lackeys, pilots and so on, someone to keep the whole huge spreading staff in some sort of order, someone to keep an eye on them too... no real privacy either. Bit of a nightmare to me. But doubtless some are used to it.

All seems a bit much though even for a large rich family... and Quis custodiet ipsos custodies?
 Oh what to do this weekend.... - CGNorwich
Yes you're right. it was only a dream anyway.

Who needs exective jets? So much more fun passing through Luton airport security holding your pants us with one hand and departing in a bright orange plane accompanied by a hen party on the the 6.30 a.m flight to Magaluf.
 Oh what to do this weekend.... - Armel Coussine
>> holding your pants us with one hand and departing in a bright orange plane accompanied by a hen party on the the 6.30 a.m flight to Magaluf.

Hen party... cor! You can let your pants down again, what relief!

Of course these ladies are already stoned and well into the duty free? They need to steel themselves for Magaluf, whatever that may be. Drink up girls!
 Oh what to do this weekend.... - Ambo
The virtual desert conditions in coastal Peru are, oddly, coupled with almost constant Scotch mist. Do these conditions apply to coastal Chile? I believe the mist is in some way related to the Humbolt current but I can't say I noticed it in my few days on the Chilean coast although the current washes it, too.
 Oh what to do this weekend.... - Harleyman
Stuff skiing. For once, the mountain has come to Mohammed (usually everything on the American car and bike scene happens t'other side of Britain) so I'm off out to play....

www.vhra.co.uk/VHRA/Pendine_Sands.html
Last edited by: Harleyman on Sat 4 Jun 16 at 11:23
 Oh what to do this weekend.... - Ambo
>>The very thought of being that rich makes my blood run cold. Bodyguards, lackeys, pilots and so on...

For a detailed description, read Le Carré's "The Night Manager". (Much better than the TV series.)
 Oh what to do this weekend.... - Dutchie
I don't know being rich has it's perks.Poverty is S H I T E but I wouldn't know never have been rich in money.

Nice and warm here today about 20c no cold Easterly wind for a change.

At about 9pm yesterday my car was indicating 22° on the external temperature gauge. And no, it was not broken. :-)
 Oh what to do this weekend.... - Bromptonaut
>> At about 9pm yesterday my car was indicating 22° on the external temperature gauge. And
>> no, it was not broken. :-)

Spent the Bank Holiday on Suffolk coast where, in a northerly airflow, temperature struggled to get above 10 and it was like that here until yesterday. Better today, hazy sunshine and 19.

Might even get the grass cut.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sat 4 Jun 16 at 13:49
 Oh what to do this weekend.... - Runfer D'Hills
Just cut mine. "She" assured me that she had done a thorough minesweep ( we have a dog ) so I risked keeping the flip flops on.

Yeah, bit of a mistake that...

Petrol strimmer.

:-(
 Oh what to do this weekend.... - Bromptonaut
Probably lucky you only sprayed your feet with doggy doo. Petrol strimmer and flip flops looks like a serious risk of spraying toes on the doggy doo :-)
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sat 4 Jun 16 at 14:17
I like to live life on the edge Bromp.

;-))
 Oh what to do this weekend.... - Manatee
>> I like to live life on the edge

Easier with toes!

Might result in not being able to wear your favourite Italian winklepickers either.
Our school chaplain, or "The Rev" as he was colloquially known, cut the front half of his left foot off with a petrol rotary mower one summer.

He used to quip about it on his return that at the moment of it happening it was the only time in his life he had loudly given Jesus a middle name.
 Oh what to do this weekend.... - sooty123
It's been cold all week in the east, a couple of days with the wind it's been well into single figures. Quite a lot of heavy rain as well. We seem to be getting the weather from the continent here.
 Oh what to do this weekend.... - Dutchie
It is usual the other way round weather from the Atlantic across the UK to the continent sooty.

I hope it isn't a bad omen with this referendum coming up.
I've got quite a tan from driving around in my new car this week with its panoramic sunroof. Did I mention I had a new car? May have done, apologies if not...

;-)
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Sat 4 Jun 16 at 17:50
 Oh what to do this weekend.... - tyrednemotional
...I went from 22 degrees to 6 degrees (feels like 2 degrees) crossing from Sweden into Norway yesterday.
The temperature has remained the same today.
I have to say that the scenery in the Lofoten Islands is magnificent in all that snow - but it is brass monkeys!
Have some pickled fish. Produces warm air...
Lofoten islands...according to my ipad, you are 1 day + 17 hour's drive from where I live. And, presumably that assumes doing it in a proper car. It also indicates that you are currently north of Iceland in latitude. Blimey. No wonder it's a bit parky.

;-)
>> Lofoten islands...according to my ipad, you are 1 day + 17 hour's drive from where
>> I live........

IMO, not far enough!

It was apparently in the 20s last week - the whales seem to enjoy it though!
Apparently, some whales, in order to make love, have to swim towards each other for up to 8 miles to get up enough speed to concurrently leap out of the water and meet ever so briefly, and hopefully accurately, in mid air. Only to return to the deep in the hope that a new life has begun.

Now, I know there wouldn't be quite that much run up room in a camper van, but it might help keep the cold at bay if the heater stops working...

;-)))
Unfortunately, the current Mrs TnE has many of the less-desirable attributes of a whale..... ;-)

(Just don't ask what the more desirable ones are....(
I won't, but I'm guessing one of them is that she can't read?

;-)
Even turning the lights off doesn't work up here at this time of year!

:-(
What I don't get is, well, what I mean is, if I'd swum 8 miles in freezing cold water, y'know, I'd not...well, not suddenly anyway, be able to...

Amazing creatures whales.
>> if I'd swum 8 miles in freezing cold water,

....and all because the lady loves.......Arctic Krill
The electricity is doing fine without the fish.

..and it's dried fish here, not pickled (though no doubt the effect would be similar)....
I had a nice stroll today to the west of Morecambe Bay. From Grange over Mud down the coast path to Humphrey Head peninsula then return via Cartmel & Hampsfell. Unfortunately hazy views of the LDistrict, but pleasant nonetheless. Plenty of parachutist's enjoying themselves from Flookburgh airfield. Then a few hours in my local beer garden where chums kept appearing until we had a jolly little crowd.
Gym early tomorrow AM, then walk Lakeland terrier, collect Focus diseasal lunchtime then hastily convened BBQ mid afternoon.
It's a tough life... Great if you don't weaken. We seem to have had the best of the UK weather these past few weeks here in the NW. Long may it continue.
 Oh what to do this weekend.... - Harleyman
We seem to have had the
>> best of the UK weather these past few weeks here in the NW. Long may
>> it continue.
>>

And the south-west. This week's virtually uninterrupted sunshine has been a godsend for the holiday trade, which has suffered dreadfully over the last few years. It does mean extra traffic but if it helps the local economy it's a price worth paying. Local agricultural and vintage shows are benefitting too after several years of washouts.
 Oh what to do this weekend.... - devonite
I've started scraping down the Hovel Window-sills and back gate, I love painting in this weather, the paint goes so much further!
Last edited by: devonite on Sun 5 Jun 16 at 19:31
 Oh what to do this weekend.... - Ted

Just got back from a weekend with friends at their place in Maulds Meaburn, Cumbria. Gorgeous hot Sun for a change. Lunch at Arnside on the way up. Saturday was a trip to Kendal as the ladies needed something from M&S then lunch at Sizergh farm shop. Sunday saw us visiting some friends with a farm at Cliburn then lunch at Morland in the Mill House..

Beer in the Sun back at the ranch and veggie dinners each evening. Me mate has just had his 60th so it was a real old folk's weekend thrash. Non stop down the M6 from Tebay this morning. Very little traffic to bother us.

Back to the diet !
I was drinking in the Albion at Arnside not so long ago, and passed through the railway station last Saturday. The view from Arnside Knott takes some beating, across the bay and towards the Lakes. Best in winter on a cold day with great viz.
Ted, do you know Wolf House Cottages at Silverdale? I've stayed there previously with friends, self catering. Walking distance to the Silverdale Hotel and it's cracking beer garden. The views from the cottage upstairs lounge at night is lovely... Twinkling lights across Morecambe Bay.
Well worth a visit for a short stay

Not really been to Silverdale.......always dashing past along the A6. Might be nice to drag the shed up there for a few days.

The cafe in Arnside is...or was...the Heron. Views across the bay and a good lunch. It might have a different name now as it was taken over by the lasses who ran the cafe at Bob Parrotts outdoor shop in Milnthorpe. It was our lunch stop of choice and we followed the girls when they closed the cafe down. I noticed on Friday that there were tables back in at Parrotts. I wonder if they found fewer people calling to look at their wares without a grub stop !
I pass through Milnthorpe regularly... Used to be on the review panel for Cicerone guidebooks who are based there. My parents often talked about retiring to that part of the world, Hest Bank actually. Sadly it wasn't to be. Don't like Milnthorpe myself, or Carnforth ( apart from the Snug micro pub on the station) but some lovely villages in that part of the world, and it's own micro climate.

You just inspired me to have a look at Silverdale on Googly Urth. I think a few days at Gibraltar Farm in the caravan might be in order if I can book.

Bed calls me !
Latest Forum Posts