Non-motoring > Cycling Corner - Volume 30   [Read only]
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 112

Cycling Corner - Volume 30 - VxFan

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 31 *****

==============================================================

More pedal power chat.

PLEASE NOTE:-

To try and maintain some kind of logical order of discussion, if you start a new subject then reply to this post and remember to change the default subject header.

Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 22 Jul 16 at 16:23

free alternative to Boris bikes (sort of) - Focusless
www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/buzzbike-will-give-commuters-free-bike-keep-theres-one-catch-231625

The scheme will see members be given a free, top-of-the-range single speed to take home and keep, as well as some lights, a bike lock and even insurance for a deposit of £100.

All you need to do in order to keep the bike is ride to work on it a minimum of 12 days a month and park it on the street. Your commutes will be tracked through an app that automatically connects your phone with your Buzzbike.

Starts in September.

free alternative to Boris bikes (sort of) - No FM2R
What a damned good idea. I hope it works out.

free alternative to Boris bikes (sort of) - Armel Coussine
To get to our house in Plymouth one had to pass through a new housing estate.

The tough kids from the estate, who were courteous to me, had a bicycle speedway circuit on a bit of sloping waste ground, an earth oval with straight sides. They rode stripped bikes with very knobbly back tyres and elaborate front forks, single-speed and quite low-geared.

They were really spectacular, sliding wildly and often falling off... Once two following bikes just rode straight over someone who had fallen off in front of them. God I was impressed.

They could see that, so they didn't need to get heavy with me as they could so easily have done.

(I was 14 or 15 at the time).
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Thu 2 Jun 16 at 19:07

New bike, is it ok? Following on from vol 29 - No FM2R
>> Going out to play on gentle dirt tracks tomorrow, I will let you know.

"How was it then? Bet you found the big wheels a lot faster? ( in a straight line anyway ) I was a committed 26" man until my latest acquisition which is a 650b. Took me a while to get used to the slower turn in but the confidence it gives when bashing down a rough singletrack to go that bit faster is remarkable. Yet to try a 29er, I like to throw the bike into tight turns and there are quite a few tree like objects to hit in these parts if you don't turn in quick enough ! I suppose you just have to avoid cacti and men in ponchos etc? "

Quoted the whole note because it was in the last thread.

Sooo many changes!

My last bike was quite an expensive one, bought from a shop with a reputation for looking after those keener and more aggressive cyclists. However, since I knew (know!) little I just took their advice on everything from which bike through which equipment to the actual set up.

This one, however, I chose. Partly because I know a bit more now, partly because I have learned the hard way and partly because asking a Chilean salesman a serious question is not unlike squeezing a jelly.

So we know which bike I ended up with.

The first thing is that the sensitivity is quite different. So the first bit was over-reactionary maneuvers from me followed by panicky corrections. A bit like changing between an old car and a modern one. once I got over that, I started to really enjoy it.

It is much faster, and much easier to get up to speed, in a straight-ish line. The brakes stop it a lot more easily too. A lot more braking and a lot less skidding.

However, in slow fiddly bits it feels a whole lot more cumbersome and downhill on slow fiddly bits is quite intimidating. Downhill on fast bits it feels a whole lot more stable. Although it really does go a *lot* faster on dirt tracks and it takes a while to have the balls to push it all the way to the bottom.

On the tarmac it is soooo much easier to cycle, steer and relax its unbelievable. A different world.

I fear that I am not a good enough cyclist to quickly adapt to it, but I like it. A lot. I need to revisit the height and positioning of stuff, its not bad but it feels like I could do better.

Also it is a very garish and quite unpleasant green colour. Reminds me of the "first solid food in a daughter" days.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 3 Jun 16 at 16:21

Today's cycle - Bobby
So today I scored one off the to-do list. I cycled round the Isle Of Arran,56 miles, some hills, one particularly brutal hill. T'was a glorious day weather wise with only a slight wind.

Also had a play about with a new Go-Pro I got - the small, screenless, Hero Session 4.

Here is part of the downhill on the Lochranza Hill - new tarmac so could afford to "go for it" though you will note the fingers were still over the brakes!

youtu.be/cAG4gw4TPbY

My next target is to do a 100 miler in one day.....

Today's cycle - Runfer D'Hills
Excellent Bobby ! Now I'll throw myself on a bike down the side of any hill, at almost any angle, scree, rubble, mud, boulders, jumps, bring it all on. But that, that scared the crap out me just watching !

Today's cycle - Bobby
Ha ha I think I peaked out at about 35mph - there were other downhills but not as smooth road.
On one I decided I was at risk of going out of control so slightly squeezed the backbrake and it very momentarily locked up. Prob a split micro second but enough for an oh shoot! moment.

I could also post a video of the 663 foot climb immediately preceding it but its not as interesting!!

Today's cycle - Old Navy
Aggressive city cyclists have no idea what it can be like. Also many drivers.

Today's cycle - Slidingpillar
It's a very fine dividing line. Certainly on a cycle, you do need to ride in a noticeable fashion and this can be seen as aggression by some other road users. It's a very fine line between this and genuinely aggressive, so yes, some cyclists will be aggressive as they cannot make the distinction.

I'd certainly not want to teach this point to a timid/new cyclist.

Same goes for cars in cities, there is a time for aggression, time for ignoring, and time for being polite. Correct balance is hard.
Last edited by: Slidingpillar on Sun 5 Jun 16 at 09:31

Today's cycle - Robin O'Reliant
>> Ha ha I think I peaked out at about 35mph - there were other downhills
>> but not as smooth road.
>> On one I decided I was at risk of going out of control so slightly
>> squeezed the backbrake and it very momentarily locked up. Prob a split micro second but
>> enough for an oh shoot! moment.
>>
>>>>
I did note that you were on the rear brake rather a lot, though I wasn't sure watching the video as I always have my own front brake left side. I rarely touch the rear brake, only when it's slippery underfoot or if I've overcooked a bend and need to ease a smidgen of speed off.

Today's cycle - Bobby
That's interesting as I don't actually remember actually applying the brakes so I will need to watch it again. Yes left brake rear.
Also only ever use front brake when fully stopping otherwise just use the rear. Suppose I was taught that as a kid to stop going over handlebars.
Not sure which one, if any, I would prefer to have a lock up on if I was on poor road surface!

Front brakes are only there to facilitate stoppy turns ( on real men's bikes anyway ) and they are also a handy enough place to keep a fresh set of pads for when you've roasted the back ones on the trail.

;-)

Today's cycle - No FM2R
"Stoppy turns"?

Great fun, jam the front brake on until the back wheel lifts off the ground a bit, then swing the whole bike around, pivoting on the front wheel until it's facing the way you want to go. Apart from the fun factor, very useful if you need to change direction without further forward movement. Stoppy turn.

Today's cycle - No FM2R
*SO* far in front of anything that I am likely to do that I refuse to remember the term. So there.

Meant to say, it's a really good idea to lock out your front forks before you try this, hope this edit got to you in time...? :-(

BTW 90 degree stoppy turns are acceptable in polite society, 180s are seen as showing off.

It really is easy. Try it first on a slight downhill ( preferably on soft ground, y'know, just in case )

Today's cycle - No FM2R
Perhaps. But I will hold you responsible for any pain I suffer.

Try to keep your handle bars in the straight ahead position in relation to the rest of the bike, in other words let the bike pivot on the contact patch of the tyre not around its own fork.

Just try little ones to start with, kicking it round a few inches. You'll soon get the hang of it.

Today's cycle - Bromptonaut
>> Great fun, jam the front brake on until the back wheel lifts off the ground
>> a bit, then swing the whole bike around,

Anybody tempted to do this on a Brompton should make sure (a) the rear triangle is lockable and (b) it's actually locked.

Never tried a 'stoppy turn' but I have had one fold underneath me when over using front brake with bum off saddle.

Bet that hurt Bromp? Can you get to the high notes easier since?

;-)

Today's cycle - Bromptonaut
>> Bet that hurt Bromp? Can you get to the high notes easier since?
>

No but I proved men have a perineum too. :-P

Yon colonial is just being a bit of a wuss about all this to be honest, if he gets it wrong the first couple of times he can always rub vodka on any of the collateral damage.

;-)

New highway code for cyclists - VxFan
The Automobile Association has published a Cyclist’s Highway Code: Essential Rules of the Road, which the organisation says is “designed as a companion guide for cyclists and parents of children learning to ride safely”.

www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/aa-publishes-cyclists-highway-code-232109

New highway code for cyclists - Slidingpillar
Perhaps I'm wrong, but the AA is a car organisation. Doesn't stop their 'Cyclist's Highway Code' from being right, but I'd want to look it over very carefully before giving it to anyone.

I rather suspect it would tell one to use road cycle routes and ignore the fact that if you did, the 'p*ncture fairy' would come visiting in very short order.

New highway code for cyclists - Focusless
>> Perhaps I'm wrong, but the AA is a car organisation. Doesn't stop their 'Cyclist's Highway
>> Code' from being right, but I'd want to look it over very carefully before giving
>> it to anyone.

Worth quoting one of the comments:

While the advice is mostly good, every cyclist in the video is wearing a helmet and lycra and riding a road bike, hardly representative of the people they say the book is aimed at “designed as a companion guide for cyclists and parents of children learning to ride safely”. I wonder why the AA went to British Cycling, mainly interested in sport, instead of Cycling UK, which has much broader interests, including commuting and family cycling.

New highway code for cyclists - Bromptonaut
More detail here:

tinyurl.com/hnnav4n (amazon)

Seems to be particularly targeted at new young riders and their parents. As it's only a fiver I've ordered a copy out of curiosity. Not yet available for dispatch though so might be a week or so before I see it.

Will post a review when I do.

New highway code for cyclists - Bromptonaut
Guardian view:

www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/2016/jun/07/the-aas-cyclists-highway-code-isnt-bad-but-it-has-scope-for-amendments

London Nocturne - John Boy
Evening bike racing in the City - article and photos from The Guardian:

tinyurl.com/z6hoyu3

Triple bike rack - Old Navy
I was sent to ALDI for milk this morning, while perusing the "man isles" I saw a stack of triple bike racks. I did not notice the price, I think they are a tie it on the back type.

Triple bike rack - Runfer D'Hills
Tie on the back style bike racks are a really bad idea. Lots of instances of bikes coming loose, falling off, paint damage to cars and bikes and other general faff. The clip on ones are slightly better but I'd only use proper roof mounts or towbar mounted racks.

I can get 3 bikes secured and locked on the top of my car in as many minutes and happily and safely drive hundreds of miles with them firmly attached.

Makes me shudder when I come up behind someone with their bikes wobbling about on a strapped on boot rack bowling down the motorway. Nasty accident waiting to happen.

Triple bike rack - No FM2R
>>I can get 3 bikes secured and locked on the top of my car in as many minutes

I get what you're saying, but 3 bikes up on top of a Landcruiser might take me a tad longer than 3 minutes.

I use a rear bike carrier (or put them in the back of a pick-up). I agree on the paint damage and stuff, but they seem pretty securely attached to me.

When we carried bikes on the car it was on roof bars and mounts, same with skis. I agree that tie on racks are not a good idea.

This may be it.

www.aldi.co.uk/p/69474/0

Looks like tie on.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 8 Jun 16 at 13:27

@ NoFM - Yeah but, you've now got a fancy bike and can't even do a stoppy turn so what do you know? Some might say "All the gear but no idea" I mean I wouldn't because that'd be rude y'know but some might...

;-)))
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Wed 8 Jun 16 at 13:52

>>Some might say "All the gear but no idea"

tinyurl.com/znnnv3a

:-)

Triple bike rack - Alanovich
One of my bikes half came off the roof on the M20 last summer. Wetware issue. I'd neglected to fit the final tie strap to a wheel.

Damn near soiled myself when it went bang.

All bike carriers can be dangerous if you balls up the loading.

If I'm going on long journey with the bikes "upstairs" I also double lock down all the fixing points with cable ties. Quite important to remember to take a penknife or scissors with you though if you do. Chewing through a series of cable ties in the middle of a roof rack is not becoming of a gentleman and can spoil an otherwise pleasant outing.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Wed 8 Jun 16 at 14:04

Triple bike rack - Robin O'Reliant
Back in my youth four of us were travelling to a race with our bikes on the roof rack of a van. The van was an old Bedford which had seen better days and the guttering, to which the rack clamped, decided it didn't want to know anymore. The whole lot came away, fortunately landing right way up and sliding along the road. The only damage to the bikes was a dented top tube on one of them.

I've also seen a car leaving a car park after an event with a couple of bikes destroyed because the owner forgot about the height restriction barrier at the entrance. I still feel bad about laughing, though I wasn't alone.

Triple bike rack - John Boy
For a while I was paid for driving the ugly beast below. It came back from one trip, carrying two mountain bikes on a tie-on-the-back frame, with a large horizontal dent in the hatchback. It was caused by the support bar which takes a lot of the weight and apparently happened on the first bump the vehicle went over.

c5.staticflickr.com/8/7419/26934379444_20774fd1a9_h.jpg

Triple bike rack - Fursty Ferret
road.cc/content/review/154825-seasucker-talon-bike-rack

I quite want one of these.

I've not bothered putting a roof rack on the V60, it's long enough that I can sling two bikes and all the associated crap straight into the back with the seats down.

I love the idea, but I'm not sure how confident I would be in the suckers.

>> I love the idea, but I'm not sure how confident I would be in the
>> suckers.
>>

OK for a built like a tank LEC but might pull dents in the roof of a lightweight eco box.

For years I've always chosen cars with "proper" roof rails. I leave my bike racks made up on two cross bars and if I want to remove the whole rig it's just a matter of loosening 4 clamps and lifting it off. Whole process takes no more than a couple or three minutes. Same to install.

>>Whole process takes no more than a couple or three minutes. Same to install.
>>

Do you have another pair of bars for your roof box to apply the same system?

No, I use the same bars. They have little slots in the top of them so you can just slide the bike racks off when required. Clever things actually. Thule.

>> I've not bothered putting a roof rack on the V60, it's long enough that I can sling two bikes and all the associated crap straight into the back...

Of course that's an option, but the state our bikes can be in after a couple of dozen off road miles is one that I'd be reluctant to put inside my car. Bears and other creatures have really bad woodland habits you know...

I have though seen some people using sort of hand pumped pressure washer thingies to rinse their bikes off before putting them back in the car.

>> Bears and other creatures have really bad woodland habits you know...
>>

Dirty bikes in a car must be almost as bad as a dog.

True, but I'm not sure my dog would take well to being clamped to the roof.

;-)

>> True, but I'm not sure my dog would take well to being clamped to the roof.

tinyurl.com/j28stnm

Vittoria Electric Hub - Robin O'Reliant
This could be a revolutionary development in electric bikes, assuming it works as planned -

www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/product-news/vittoria-tyre-manufacturer-will-go-ebikes-together-startup-zehus-232650

Fort William downhill - Bobby
www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZnpICRXm0c

OK Humph, as our resident nutjob, can you please talk us through this video and give us your comments, particularly in relation to

1. WTF?
2. How many laws of physics is this breaking
3. How can a bike ride at that speed over lose stones with full grip on corners
4. How can a bike hit those boulders and stay upright?
5. Just - how???

Fort William downhill - Fullchat
Awesome. Barriers where a bit tight at the end :)

Pretty rugged those bikes.

Fort William downhill - Runfer D'Hills
It is actually amazing what a good bike can do if the rider is prepared to let it have its head.

It's a bit like skiing, the faster you go the easier it is to stay upright. My problem is that as I get older my eyes start to vibrate when I'm on a fast descent and it's difficult to keep focussed. Not uncommon apparently, the muscles round the eyes get weaker...

:-(

Same guy, same place, different challenge...

tinyurl.com/zsbzm3v

Fort William downhill - Robin O'Reliant
>>My problem is that as I get older my eyes start to vibrate when
>> I'm on a fast descent and it's difficult to keep focussed. Not uncommon apparently, the
>> muscles round the eyes get weaker...
>>
>> :-(
>>
I can confirm that one. I'm ok on smooth tarmac, but when it gets bumpy on a fast descent my vision starts to flicker.

Fort William downhill - Fursty Ferret
1. Stunning riding
2. Enormous ultra-soft sticky tyres
3. Modern suspension and damping.

But ultimately I refer m'learned friend to point (1).

Fort William downhill - zippy
Astonishing stuff.

I am getting quite a bit of pain in some joints at the moment and cycling has been recommended to me as a good way to gently exercise the joints.

(I used to cycle everywhere when I was a teen and even after I first got married.)

I quite like the idea of an electric cycle to help with some of the very steep hills around here but don't think that they have come of age yet - they seem very expensive for what they are and very few of the big brands seem to be selling them.

Any tips or thoughts folks?

Fort William downhill - bathtub tom
If you have the right ratio you could probably cycle up the wall of a house. In fact I've seen a picture of a sort of tricycle they use in China to climb telegraph poles.

I've arthritis and after giving up running (knees), swimming (breast stroke - knees, crawl - shoulders) and now find I can only walk a couple of miles before my knees become painful.

I use a bike for journeys further than I find walking comfortable. Nothing special, what I believe they call a hybrid, steel frame and mudguards, rear carrier with pannier (remarkable how much stuff you can get in one) and eighteen gears, 700 x 35 tyres as a compromise between rolling resistance and comfort (had 700 x 32 for a while, but went up a width when they wore out). Must find a more comfortable saddle, as anything more than about ten miles hurts my bum.

Fort William downhill - Armel Coussine
A powerful electric bike is the only bike I would contemplate.

But I can't help imagining that when they go dead, as they must anyway sometimes, they are going to be a bit heavy to push. Time for the AA or a sighing friend/partner.

Hub gears are a drag although they are beautifully compact. Derailleurs are much more efficient, if kept properly adjusted and lubricated, a tall order. They are hard on chains which don't like being bent sideways.

Never had a bike with telescopic front forks even. I'm lost in admiration at you blokes who bounce from crag to crag on your cleverly braked front wheel. It doesn't seem like magic to me but I just love the precise, nervous control.

Once again, chapeau!

Fort William downhill - bathtub tom
>> Hub gears are a drag although they are beautifully compact.

I'd like to know where you get that information. I understand they're quite efficient although expensive. Seems you can get quite a lot in there now. A colleague stated it's possible to change gear when stationary.

Fort William downhill - Slidingpillar
A colleague stated it's possible to change gear when stationary

It's certainly true of the Sturmey Archer type. Not got one at present, but I've had four of them in the past. Very useful for a commuter bike.

Fort William downhill - Bromptonaut
Yup. The Sturmey 3 speed on the Brompton will change when stationary. The associated derailleur on 6 speeds will not though which means moving away in third if you forget or don't get chance to click down while stopping.

It's a pretty quick action though and there's usually enough space to creep forward at junctions etc and engage the larger rear sprocket.

Fort William downhill - Bobby
Or apply front brake, lean forward , and spin back wheel.

>> Or apply front brake, lean forward , and spin back wheel.

That only works on a Brompton if you've locked the rear triangle in place. I never do as unlocking is an unnecessary extra action in the fold process.

Well, I've seen so many people put off cycling by starting out on poor kit. Treat yourself to something of at least reasonable quality. You won't regret it.

Second thing I'd consider is what type of riding you think you'll favour, primarily will you be on road or off? That makes a big difference to what sort of bike will be suitable. Whatever you do, don't buy a hybrid bike. They're rubbish at everything.

Electric? Seriously? Are you disabled? Surely the main benefit of taking up cycling is for the exercise? ;-)

>> Electric? Seriously? Are you disabled? Surely the main benefit of taking up cycling is for the exercise? ;-)

No more disabled than most others of my age, tsk, honestly.

I really do like a nice well-functioning machine though. If it saves me effort, who (sort of thing, as it were) am I to complain?

Know I mean? Perhaps not, never mind, no problemo.

No point at all in rear suspension unless you're going to be bashing down steep rough off road tracks on a regular basis, and indeed "budget" suspension at either end does nothing useful and just adds weight.

If you do choose something with sprung front forks make sure they can be locked out. Climbing a steep hill with your forks unlocked means you're expending loads of effort pushing against the resistance of the fork. Much better with a rigid if you're primarily on road or just the odd forest fire trail.

You say there are many steep hills where you are? Weight is everything. Go for an aluminium frame and try to find something with disc brakes ( much safer if it's wet ) If you're going off road then chunky tyres help a lot, but if not, they just add rolling resistance.

Loads of reviews on a website called "Bikeradar"

>> No point at all in rear suspension unless you're going to be bashing down steep rough off road tracks on a regular basis, and indeed "budget" suspension at either end does nothing useful and just adds weight.

It's obvious that you have to spend whatever you can on suspension. It still won't be right though.

Just carry on balancing on your nose. Really elrgant that, cool and stuff.

>> It's obvious that you have to spend whatever you can on suspension. It still won't be right though.

Very astute observation AC !

It's like a chronic disease, every time you think you have the cure you realise that by spending just a little bit ( well, that's what you tell your nearest and dearest anyway ) more, it will all be perfect.

For a while...

;-)

I had a Sturmey-Archer 3 speed hub on my bike, and saved up for a 4-speed. The 4 speed was difficult to get perfectly adjusted.

Epicyclic (I think) hubs are compact and as someone said useful, but there is a distinct drag or reluctance about a bike fitted with one. Derailleur properly adjusted is much freer-running.

>> Epicyclic (I think) hubs are compact and as someone said useful, but there is a
>> distinct drag or reluctance about a bike fitted with one.

Properly lubricated and adjusted the three speed is pretty low drag. My older Brompton has a Sprinter 5 speed which is a little less free running. ISTR reading the 5 had an extra set of cogs. It also suffers from a relatively small gap from 1>2. The 3*2 six speed is MUCH better in that dept with, even in standard form, a ratio low enough for 1:12 gradient to be easily passable. Gives damn good acceleration off a junction too.

Some MTB bikes are now being produced with hub gears. Derailleur are still the favoured option but they can indeed be the weak point. I've twice in less than 12 months managed to catch the derailleur arm up in the back spokes of my bikes as a result of side impact from a rock.

Quite unfunny if you're at speed and a long way from the car...

Back wheel locks up instantly and there is almost no chance of a trail side repair. First time it happened I just had to untangle it all until it would freewheel downhill and just get off and push up the hills. The second time it happened was as a result of the rear frame snapping from a bad landing impact so it was game over anyway. Fortunately on that occasion I was only a short-ish walk ( half a mile or so ) from the car.

Sometimes though we can be a dozen miles or more from civilisation and such an event would be a royal pain.

I keep meaning to put a chain breaker in my tool kit so I could at least temporarily convert it into a single speed if it happened again.

Trotify - for Holy Grail Fans - rtj70
Humph's got to get this: www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfyC6NJqt2o

Does anyone think it's a wind-up?

www.trotify.com

EDIT: I know it's old so might have been posted before. But it's light hearted. I've ordered it for Boris.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 27 Jun 16 at 00:01

Cycling questions - No FM2R
When cycling is it only the ratio between pedal and back wheel revolutions that matters, or does it matter in any way how that is distributed between front and back sprocket?

Also, I love the front suspension. Lock out is good, albeit even locked out it isn't as rigid as if it didn't have suspension.

I do quite a lot of cycling on hard rough dirt tracks which are uncomfortable but not that aggressive, so the suspension is excellent. Why wouldn't I want rear suspension as well? (although its too late now anyway).

The saddle was too hard/sharp, so that got changed for a mildly more sympathetic one.

I've kind of done a few stoppy turns. Not that struck, to be honest. Perhaps they make more sense when you get better at them.

Other than that, rather happy with the thing overall.

Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 27 Jun 16 at 01:18

Cycling questions - Robin O'Reliant
>> When cycling is it only the ratio between pedal and back wheel revolutions that matters,
>> or does it matter in any way how that is distributed between front and back
>> sprocket?
>>
>> >>
>>
Not really, though the smaller the front chainring the more load there is on the bottom bracket bearings. Suntour brought out a system they called Micro-Drive a couple of decades ago where they reduced the size of both chainrings and sprockets, giving the same gear ratios as conventional set ups but lighter in weight. It was abandoned for the reason I stated.

Cycling questions - Manatee

>> Not really, though the smaller the front chainring the more load there is on the
>> bottom bracket bearings.

And the chain tension must increase, more chance of breakage, stretching, and greater wear. Half the sprocket diameter would need double the tension.

Cycling questions - Runfer D'Hills
Tell me again, ( I'm no engineer ) if the sprocket is bigger, the strain on the chain is less? I never knew that. Instinctively, I climb in middle ratio but in a low gear ( so medium sized front sprocket and large-ish rear. As opposed to some who select low ratio and a medium rear gear. ( small front sprocket and middling rear )

Glad to know I can have bragging rights about looking after the bike !

;-)

Cycling questions - Armel Coussine
The bigger the wheel sprocket, the lower the gear ratio all other things being equal.

10 speed has two pedal sprockets as well.

It can't do the chain much good to be twisted sideways a lot of the time, as it must be on a 10 speed bike.

I used to fancy the idea of a derailleur coupled with an epicyclic four-speed hub (I had one of those). But I never saw that arrangement probably for good reasons. Those hub gears were beautifully compact and made a nice ticking noise, but they had a sort of reluctant heavy side.

Cycling questions - Manatee
OK compare two rear sprockets, one twice the diameter of the other. Consider the point at the top of the sprocket, and think of the chain pulling on that point, which is actually the end of a lever.

For a given say 1mm of movement on the smaller sprocket there will have been a certain amount of work done (raising you up the hill).

The same amount of work using the larger sprocket would entail the wheel turning through the same angle, so the point at the top of the large sprocket would move 2mm.

Since work = force x distance, because the distance has doubled the force (the pull force or tension of the chain) must have halved for the same amount of work.

Another way to think of it is that for a given climb rate you need a certain amount of torque at the axle. If you double the lever length you need only half the force to get the same torque. Same reasoning as using a long bar to undo your wheel nuts on your car..
Last edited by: Manatee on Mon 27 Jun 16 at 19:49

I'm going to memorise that thanks ! I shall lean nonchalantly against my car next weekend in the forest and recite it with suitable gravitas to anyone who will listen.

;-)

Cycling questions - No FM2R
I presume it is the ratio of pedal movement to wheel movement thatthat is important and impacts required effort for a similar gain, not how that might be split/geared between the individual cogs?
Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 27 Jun 16 at 21:01

Cycling questions - Robin O'Reliant
>> Tell me again, ( I'm no engineer ) if the sprocket is bigger, the strain
>> on the chain is less? I never knew that. >>
>> ;-)
>>

I'm no engineer either, but using a smaller chainring on the front is reckoned by those who claim to be to put more load on the bearings. Summat to do with the larger chainring absorbing more of the load.

Or something.

It's fine, I know enough now to do a Leonard Rossiter as Rigsby impersonation, hands on hips sounding confident if asked ( or even if slightly encouraged ) to comment.

;-)

Cycling questions - Old Navy
Smaller chainring, shorter lever (radius) to pull the chain = more load which is transferred to the bearings? Just use the accent you acquired as a youngster and you will have the forest all to yourself. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 27 Jun 16 at 21:32

Aye, you might be right.

;-)

Cyclist Killed - Duncan
A man I know in my CTC cycling group died this morning from injuries received in a collision with a lorry last week.

If you scroll down in the subject list on the right hand side, you will see a numbers of reports on the accident and his condition in hospital.

midweekwayfarers.blogspot.co.uk/

He didn't normally ride a tricycle, I assume he was sitting on it for the purposes of the photograph.
Last edited by: Duncan on Tue 5 Jul 16 at 20:55

Cyclist Killed - Boxsterboy
That's sad, especially as reading the blog, I realise that group rides many roads that I often ride.

Cyclist Killed - Duncan
>> That's sad, especially as reading the blog, I realise that group rides many roads that
>> I often ride.

You would be very welcome. Membership of The CTC (or whatever it is called this week) would be required sooner or later. There are normally three rides on Wednesday, one on Saturday, one on Sunday.

I am, regrettably, a very occasional rider with one of the groups these days. One trivial reason after another seems to raise its head most weeks.

Electric Bike - Dulwich Estate II
Walking up an incline I heard what sounded like a couple of bees buzzing in the road behind me. I was then passed by an electric bike cruising up the hill.

I was mightily impressed and think I want one.

Any views ?

Electric Bike - bathtub tom
>> Walking up an incline I heard what sounded like a couple of bees buzzing in
>> the road behind me. I was then passed by an electric bike cruising up the hill.
>> I was mightily impressed and think I want one.
>> Any views ?

Mobility scooter?

Sorry, forgot smiley.

;>)
Last edited by: bathtub tom on Wed 6 Jul 16 at 00:19

Electric Bike - Duncan
SQ - have you borrowed Zero's keyboard?

>> Any views ?

May I refer the honourable member to:-

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=21806&m=481408
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 6 Jul 16 at 10:15

Electric Bike - Dulwich Estate II
OK - will do.

I have continued over there.

Electric Bike - Duncan
>> SQ - have you borrowed Zero's keyboard?
>>

I am not worthy.

Electric Bike - No FM2R
>>SQ - have you borrowed Zero's keyboard?

Have you really started this s*** again? WTF for??

Electric Bike - VxFan
Why do you have to swear in nearly every one of your posts? Does it make you feel more manly? Almost everyone else can manage to express themselves without having to swear.

IIRC, someone not a million miles away used to loathe others doing it.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=20783

I think they also said something in another forum post along the lines of if you aren't able to swear in front of your mother without getting a clip round the lughole, then don't do it here either.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 6 Jul 16 at 19:10

Electric Bike - Robin O'Reliant
>> Why do you have to swear in nearly every one of your posts? Does it
>> make you feel more manly? Almost everyone else can manage to express themselves without having
>> to swear.
>>
>> >>
To be fair to No FM, I think he was being ironic, if you remember what led to Zero's flounce and ban.

Electric Bike - No FM2R
Oh get over your obsession with this. Yes I was a moderator, I used to tell you what to do and decide how things should be done. I still remember my assessment, do you?

Somethings don't change, but the world has moved on a bit. And if s*** was acceptable then, then it most certainly is now. And also probably so is "shit".

And one of the things that has changed is that I am no longer a moderator, nor do I have any wish to be. Get over it.

Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 6 Jul 16 at 19:43

Electric Bike - VxFan
>> get over it

Try practicing what you preach. Nearly very time I made a moderating decision, you stick your nose in and criticise it. If anyone is obsessed it's you.

What is it with you? One day you can be as nice as pie with people, the next you're on their case. Jekyll and Hyde Spring to mind.

Now how about you getting over it.
 Electric Bike - CGNorwich
"Narcissistic personality disorder is a mental disorder in which people have an inflated sense of their own importance, a deep need for admiration and a lack of empathy for others. But behind this mask of ultraconfidence lies a fragile self-esteem that's vulnerable to the slightest criticism."
 Electric Bike - Pat
Spot on CG.

Pat

Electric Bike - No FM2R
How empty your lives must be to put do much effort into trying to insult me.

Quite puts a smile on my face.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Thu 7 Jul 16 at 14:58

Not Electric Bike - but to add to smile of NFM2R - sherlock47

Not Fen safe.
Last edited by: sherlock47 on Thu 7 Jul 16 at 15:34

Electric Bike - WillDeBeest
This place works better when there's a little personal animus to the debate. Personalities are part of what we bring here, otherwise it's just two dozen old fleeces wittering about oil changes.

Electric Bike - Pat
If you want 'personal animus' then try this for size.

Mark always tells me I am obsessed by him when I stand up to him. Now he's telling CG the same thing.

Is he batting for the other side now?:)

Pat

Electric Bike - CGNorwich
I haven't had any personal animus since the cat died.
 Electric Bike - Pat
Well, I would only have personal anima, as that is the female form, anyway!

Pat

Tour de Farce - Robin O'Reliant
Chris Froome had to run up Mont Ventoux till his team car could get to him with a spare bike after himself, Mollema and Porte crashed into the back of a motorcycle which had to stop suddenly because it could not get through the crowds. Froome has provisionally lost his race lead though there has been no confirmation as to whether the result will be neutralised or not.

Footage and report here -

www.theguardian.com/sport/live/2016/jul/14/tour-de-france-stage-12-live

Tour de Farce - Bromptonaut
Latest is the Froome stays in Yellow with an increased lead over Yates. Timings taken from just before crash.

Tonight's highlights should be interesting.

Tour de Farce - Robin O'Reliant
I had just come home and switched it on when it all kicked off. Unbelievable scenes, total chaos with Froome first having to run and then ride a bike that was several sizes to small and had the wrong pedals before the Sky car got up to him.

Carol Boardman - Robin O'Reliant
Cyclist Chris Boardman's mother, Carol, was killed in an accident with a pick up truck this morning. Apparently it happened on a roundabout, no details as to how just yet.

Latest Forum Posts