Non-motoring > Pubs & food Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 42

Pubs & food - legacylad
What's the world coming to ? After a few early doors beers yesterday in Settle I called in at my local en route home. 8pm and there are screaming kids. Not a good scenario with my grumpy pal who calls a spade a shovel and tells the parents to their face to control the 'screamers' because the young bar staff won't!
I can understand nuts & crisps behind the bar. Even pork scratchings. But two types of day glo coloured Haribo and Pepperani stick things. WTF. No wonder the kids are running around hyper after shovelling that muck down their throats.
Is it me?
 Pubs & food - Old Navy
>> Is it me?
>>

No, it's the only way pubs can survive these days. Drink drive and no smoking laws (both of which I approve of) are partially to blame.
 Pubs & food - sooty123
Don't children have to leave at a certain time? Those pepperami sticks i see them all the time, but i can't ever think of anyone eating one in a pub?

Talking of beer, had a nice pint of theakstons the other day on draft. Rare to find around here, nice for a change.
 Pubs & food - Ian (Cape Town)
>> Those pepperami sticks i see them
>> all the time, but i can't ever think of anyone eating one in a pub?

Biltong and droewors. Wind dried meat, and wind dried sausage.
The former looks like bark, the latter like twigs. BUT the taste....
 Pubs & food - sooty123
>> >> Those pepperami sticks i see them
>> >> all the time, but i can't ever think of anyone eating one in a
>> pub?
>>
>> Biltong and droewors. Wind dried meat, and wind dried sausage.
>> The former looks like bark, the latter like twigs. BUT the taste....
>>
>>

I remember eating them, we had family and friends who lived in your neck of the woods and brought them over. Nearest thing i get these days is the stuff from the US. The dried meat thing is quite popular. Pepperami is no where near as good as either.
 Pubs & food - Stuartli
>>...had a nice pint of theakstons the other day on draft. >>

Must have been an interesting one....:-)
 Pubs & food - sooty123
>> >>...had a nice pint of theakstons the other day on draft. >>
>>
>> Must have been an interesting one....:-)
>>

*whoosh*

Que?
 Pubs & food - Bromptonaut
At a guess, the duty pedant is referring to draught/draft
 Pubs & food - smokie
...hence the "Whoosh", shorely? :-)
 Pubs & food - sooty123
>> At a guess, the duty pedant is referring to draught/draft
>>

Ah right, didn't even click, cheers.
 Pubs & food - Armel Coussine
>> Is it me?

Up to a point, Lord Copper.

:o}

We are all polluted by overdoses of MSG and 'permitted carcinogens'. They go beautifully with all the booze, other drugs and snout.

I am fairly tolerant with noisy children on ships, planes, buses and so on. I was one myself once. They tire themselves out and go unconscious eventually. I can't remember ever asking a parent to make their sprog STFU, but I may have done it once or twice.

I do remember a cute looking Arab child that screamed like a train whistle every half-minute throughout a longish flight, smiling throughout as were its parents who were clearly used to the din and proud of the nipper's powerful voicebox. I longed to strangle the child, winsome though he looked, but there were too many witnesses quite apart from the beaming parents.
 Pubs & food - Ian (Cape Town)
No, not you at all.
Typing this in my local.
There is a smoking section, and a non-smoking section. Sprogs on the other side of the glass wall.
The nosh - typical local pub snack - is going down well with the nippers. Chicken strips, burgers, chips, onion rings etc. But properly prepared stuff, with no MSG and other additives. Which makes it a very popular place to come to with kids. The kids will not go ape in a few minutes.
But us grown-ups don't care. Brad Binder just won the MotoGP.

Pubs & food - John Boy
No, I don't think it's you, either, LL. It's possible that the dayglo is caused by the food dye E102 Tartrazine. It used to be used a lot - remember when orange squash was bright orange? They had to cut down on the use of tartrazine because it caused extreme reactions, including violence, in children who suffer from ADHD. I have personal experience of being on the receiving end of that. At the time, as an experiment, I spent several months avoiding foods, such as flavoured crisps, which include various additives. It didn't seem to make much difference to me, except, when I started to eat those foods again, I would get tingling sensations in my nasal passages. I think that's significant.

I've always been keen on liquorice allsorts and had an instructive experience on a visit to Denmark, where they're in dull, pastel colours rather than full-on primaries. They didn't look much, but they tasted so much better than ours. I suspect that was due to the lack of colouring.

Long term, these experiences had made me an avid reader of food packaging. Apart from colouring, I try to avoid anything which includes potassium sorbate, which is used as a preservative. I can taste it in soft drinks and it seems to cause that unpleasant stickiness you now get in mass produced cakes etc. I read somewhere that dead bodies don't "go off" as rapidly as they used to due to the amount of preservatives which we eat.

A dietican told me once she thought food additives weren't a particular problem, except for children. As their bodies are so small, they tend to be getting a massive dose.
 Pubs & food - Armel Coussine
I have to confess to a taste for strong salty flavours even when they are rendered ersatz with preservatives and general slimy grease. Humous and small oat biscuits are one thing, peperami and the like quite another... but alas, I can't resist any of these things.

People here are quite good at making egg and bacon flans, small cheesy roll things and so on. Vol-au-vents filled with fish stuff and mayonnaise, or that phoney caviar with a squeeze of lemon.

They go very well with an early evening alcohol guzzle (At last! Thanks be to God!). Still well over two hours to wait though, even if Herself doesn't bump things along with some tea.

The damn cat leaves us the occasional mouse and vole but yesterday it outdid itself with a small bird in the corner of the hall. The bird was stiff and surprisingly dense, so it went down the bog with a single flush, decently wrapped in bog paper.

That bird must have got careless with the cat which is a handsome furry animal that spends a lot of time asleep.
 Pubs & food - sooty123
They go very well with an early evening alcohol guzzle (At last! Thanks be to
>> God!). Still well over two hours to wait though, even if Herself doesn't bump things
>> along with some tea.

Not started yet AC on a day like today? Lovely weather here, perfect for a few afternoon drinks in the garden.
 Pubs & food - smokie
Think I've posted about similar experiences in my local where there is a clear (huge) dining area and pub area. I wrote to the brewery and the area manager contacted me but nothing happened. One reason is that the bar staff aren't that old themselves and asking them to confront people who have been drinking steadily all afternoon is a recipe for trouble, though he didn't say that in so many words.
 Pubs & food - VxFan
I can remember when pubs had a separate area for parents and brats to sit in, away from everyone else.
 Pubs & food - Haywain
"I can remember when pubs had a separate area for parents and brats to sit in, away from everyone else."

Yep - it was called 'the garden'!
 Pubs & food - Skip
Shouldn't the women be at home looking after the children while the men go to the pub ? :-)
 Pubs & food - Harleyman

>> Yep - it was called 'the garden'!
>>

Can't do that now, it's full of all those smokers who aren't allowed in the pub. ;-)
 Pubs & food - CGNorwich
Sadly that reflects an attitude to children sadly still prevalent in this country. Of course children should be controlled by their parents and of course there is a time he they should be in bed .

However I don!t understand this hatred of children in restaurants and pubs. I remover going into the Angel Inn in Bury St Edmunds 40 years ago with my young daughter. I was told that if I wanted to eat they would set a table in the corridor as children were not allowed in the restaurant.

I declined and have never been back.

And I would never call a child a "brat.
 Pubs & food - legacylad
Only a few spoiled brats in my part of the world. Mummy & Daddy have his n hers R Rovers & Discos. 8 & 10 year olds sit in corner of pub playing on their new IPads, squawking for nuts, crisps, Haribos.
Perfectly ok so long as they sit quietly and don't race around the beer garden at 7pm on a sunny evening on their scooter things annoying everyone. And if they do my drinking acquaintances soon have a word with parents. Doesn't happen often though. And they are mostly visitors.
 Pubs & food - smokie
Pubs are for grown ups not kids. I don't see a problem with that but some parents seem to think they can tow their kids anywhere they want, and everyone will adore them. However when I go for a pint or two with a couple of mates we don't especially want to have noisy kids running round the pub. Why some parents consider that acceptable I don't know.
 Pubs & food - Dutchie
I'm a bit carefull eating food in a pub.

A few pubs the hygiene was checked regarding making the food round here.Poor to say the least.
 Pubs & food - Cliff Pope

>>
>> A few pubs the hygiene was checked regarding making the food round here.Poor to say
>> the least.
>>

I've never cared tuppence about food hygiene. Germs are just natural stuff, and a healthy constitution just shrugs them off.
There's too much fussing about cleanliness these days.

Writes "Old timer"
 Pubs & food - Roger.
I remember when........................
Our bread was delivered in a horse-drawn wagon, the back of which was kitted out with shelves on which were stacked unwrapped loaves. I was often required to follow the outfit to collect the horse droppings and sometimes cadged a ride on the back of the wagon!
Similarly, we had a Maypole store at the bottom of our road and butter, sugar, biscuits etc. were all sold loose and not pre-packed. Bacon was sliced on demand from a chunk and one could choose the thickness required.
Modern day obsessions with elf and safety notwithstanding, I don't think we ever came to harm from a more relaxed food sales era.
 Pubs & food - Bromptonaut
>> Modern day obsessions with elf and safety notwithstanding, I don't think we ever came to
>> harm from a more relaxed food sales era.

An alternative view says that a few people got very ill from such practices and the frail may evn have died.

Particularly so if the bacon slicer was also used for other products and/or was not properly and regularly cleaned.
 Pubs & food - Cliff Pope

>>
>> An alternative view says that a few people got very ill from such practices and
>> the frail may evn have died.
>>

And everyone else acquired immunity and passed on healthy genes and didn't produce a nation of wimps and allergy sufferers and pollen counters who had to disinfect everything in sight.
 Pubs & food - CGNorwich
Actually pubs are for whoever the landlord or manager decide he wants to have as customers

If he chooses to welcome families with children then its up to him. If that upsets a few grumpy old blokes in the corner who somehow think they own the pub I doubt that he will care too much providing the takings from the family and food trade enable him to stay in business
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Mon 23 May 16 at 00:09
 Pubs & food - VxFan
Thing is, a lot of pubs these days now class themselves as "restaurants" rather than a pub. That's how they get around allowing parents to bring the brats along too. The worrying thing is some parents allow their little darlings to run around like lunatics while hot food (and drink) is being carried from the kitchen to the table by the staff instead of making their little darlings sit at the table and behave themselves. They probably don't sit at the table at home either.
 Pubs & food - CGNorwich
A pub can allow accompanied children in if they wish . They don't need "get round" anything nor call themselves a "restaurant"
 Pubs & food - Haywain
"I was told that if I wanted to eat they would set a table in the corridor"

So, they were doing their best to try and be helpful and did not want to see you and your child starve. What's wrong with that?
 Pubs & food - CGNorwich
Just about everything. If I had been accompanied by a woman or a black man and the restaurant had acted way would that be acceptable to you?

If not why would banning a small well behaved child ? Legally they were within their rights but it was symptomatic of the attitude we had and still have in many places towards children in this country.

You cannot imagine such a scenario in a French or Italian restaurant and indeed it was one of the reasons why we always took our family holidays in France
Last edited by: smokie on Mon 23 May 16 at 09:08
 Pubs & food - Roger.
The table manners of some of the brats and parents is often vile to behold, too.
I reckon some of the ads. on TV are to blame, showing as they do some appalling examples of uncouth food consumption.

I hereby exclude our delightful, well behaved and mannerly grandchildren from these comments! :-)
Last edited by: Roger. on Mon 23 May 16 at 09:08
 Pubs & food - Haywain
" Legally they were within their rights"

I'm afraid that I'm just not as rebellious as you, CG, wherever I go, I tend to abide by whatever 'local' rules are in force. If I don't like the rules, I don't go there. If a women's golf club wouldn't have me as a member, then I wouldn't complain - I'd just go away and find a club where I could feel comfortable.

I can add that taking our children to restaurants such as the Angel, was never an issue - we could never afford to contemplate such fine family dining.
 Pubs & food - John Boy
I can see that I went off at a tangent above. Mention of fluorescent food brought back some painful memories. Nevertheless, my attitude to the issue is quite simple - children should be allowed in pubs, but parents shouldn't take them in if they can't behave. I know it's not a pub, but a very pleasurable memory is of having Sunday lunch at Corrieri's Cafe near Stirling:

tinyurl.com/gwhkzq2

It was full of families enjoying themselves and the young members of staff clearly enjoyed them being there. It felt like one of those al fresco dining scenes you get in some of Fellini's films. The main difference was that I could understand the language.
 Pubs & food - Manatee
I have no objection to children in pubs and restaurants in principle, in fact I think it could be a positive aspect of family life. Unfortunately, too many parents seem to think it is OK to let their children roam and run about. The children are too often allowed to be a serious nuisance to other customers.

It's badly behaved parents that are the problem (as with some dog owners).
 Pubs & food - commerdriver
>> It's badly behaved parents that are the problem (as with some dog owners).
>>
Absolutely, we will be at a wedding on Saturday there will be 5 children among the guests, the oldest is 7, I do not anticipate a single problem with the children.
 Pubs & food - Runfer D'Hills
I used to like to go for a pint and a smoke after work sometimes, but when I gave up smoking I also lost the taste for beer. It's far too wet without tobacco. So now I just don't bother much with pubs. Standing there with a glass of water and nae fags doesn't especially appeal as a leisure activity.

;-)
 Pubs & food - martin aston
My wife parked me in a pub a few weeks ago which had a street blackboard jokingly advertising it as a man creche while the women shopped.

Oddly enough the occupant of the adjacent table was a breast feeding mother. Maybe she hadnt read the "man" bit.

Not a problem for me, just amused at it being at odds with the blackboard.

Pubs & food - Harleyman
>> My wife parked me in a pub a few weeks ago which had a street
>> blackboard jokingly advertising it as a man creche while the women shopped.
>>

I came across one of those chalkboards outside a rather disreputable bar in Helensburgh a couple of years ago.

It simply stated, "Nae food. Nae weans".

Since I wasn't hungry, I went in for a quiet beer.
Last edited by: Harleyman on Mon 23 May 16 at 21:27
 Pubs & guns - Ian (Cape Town)
Off topic. sorry.

On the way home on Saturday night, I decided to have a pint. Debated whether to go to Pub 'a' or pub 'b'.
Opted for'b', and was glad I did ...
because:

Six men have been arrested in a late night ATM robbery at a Table View restaurant at the weekend.

Police spokesman Captain FC van Wyk confirmed the incident took place at a restaurant in Flamingo Vlei in Table View on Saturday at about 11.30pm.

He said the night manager was opening the ATM machine in the restaurant to load money, when one of the three men, who had been sitting at the bar grabbed her and told her to keep quiet.

“She saw a firearm and started screaming. The suspects took the safe keys and an undisclosed amount of cash,” he said.

After taking the money, the suspects then robbed the patrons of their wallets and jewellery.

It is alleged that while the robbers were focusing on the patrons, the night manager sent a message to her husband, and he contacted the Table View Neighbourhood Watch, who contacted Table View police.

There was a shootout between the police and the suspects.

Van Wyk said: “Six of the eight suspects were apprehended, while two managed to flee the scene. The cash stolen from the ATM was found in the possession of one of the suspects, and three firearms, two revolvers and a Norinco pistol were confiscated. No one was injured.”

Pubs & guns - Dog
>>No one was injured

It would have been a different outcome if this had taken place in the good ole US of A, I'll wager.
Latest Forum Posts