Non-motoring > Films that make you cry - Toy story 3 Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 32

Films that make you cry - Toy story 3 - Zero
www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-10814813

The wife and I borrowed two kids to go and watch TS3, in 3d. Its the best of the three, works on every level for any age group, humour, sarcasm, fear, pathos it has them all, I urge you to borrow a child to go see.

Ok I admit, I had to wipe a tear from my eye.

What film as made you pretend to have a cold - for any reason.
 Films that make you cry - Toy story 3 - R.P.
That baby doll thing was as scary as anything I've ever seen ! I love the pastiches from various films including the the Shawshank Redemption, Indiana Jones and Marathon Man - brilliant film.
Last edited by: Pugugly on Mon 2 Aug 10 at 10:22
and you missed "cool hand luke"
What scene was that ?
"Them clothes got laundry numbers on them. You remember your number and always wear the ones that has your number. Any man forgets his number spends a night in the box. These here spoons you keep with you. Any man loses his spoon spends a night in the box. There's no playing grab-ass or fighting in the building. You got a grudge against another man, you fight him Saturday afternoon. Any man playing grab-ass or fighting in the building spends a night in the box. First bell's at five minutes of eight when you will get in your bunk. Last bell is at eight. Any man not in his bunk at eight spends the night in the box. There is no smoking in the prone position in bed. To smoke you must have both legs over the side of your bunk. Any man caught smoking in the prone position in bed... spends a night in the box. You get two sheets. Every Saturday, you put the clean sheet on the top... the top sheet on the bottom... and the bottom sheet you turn in to the laundry boy. Any man turns in the wrong sheet spends a night in the box. No one'll sit in the bunks with dirty pants on. Any man with dirty pants on sitting on the bunks spends a night in the box. Any man don't bring back his empty pop bottle spends a night in the box. Any man loud talking spends a night in the box. You got questions, you come to me. I'm Carr, the floor walker. I'm responsible for order in here. Any man don't keep order spends a night in...
Luke: ...the box."

www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvwqK2gn3S0
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 2 Aug 10 at 14:14
 Films that make you cry - Toy story 3 - corax
300 - the story of 300 spartans holding back the persian army. OK, it's a brutal film, but when the messenger, the only spartan left alive, rides back to give the dead kings wife the necklace she had given to him at the start of the film, I did get a bit upset.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO2i9aX2Xzs&feature=related
Last edited by: corax on Mon 2 Aug 10 at 12:25
 Films that make you cry - Toy story 3 - Armel Coussine
A friend once told me that he realised he was drinking too much when he found himself bursting into tears while watching the advertisements.

Almost anything can move you to tears when you are in a receptive state. The thing you're watching may be the most ghastly schlock, but even ghastly schlock can press some of your buttons unexpectedly. After all it's made at great cost with that specific intention.

It isn't the schlock that makes you cry, it's the unconscious references it calls up.
 Films that make you cry - Toy story 3 - Fursty Ferret
You don't even need kids. Went to see it last week - I'm 24 and reckon I was the youngest person in the cinema. :-)
 Films that make you cry - Toy story 3 - Robin O'Reliant
Any man who can't cry tears of laughter at the death of the Leanardo Dicaprio charater in Titanic surely hasn't got a heart.

And tears of agony after sitting 3.1/2 hours in a cinema seat watching the biggest load of drivel ever filmed.
 Films that make you cry - Toy story 3 - bathtub tom
>>3.1/2 hours in a cinema seat watching the biggest load of drivel ever filmed.

Try Gone with the wind.
>> >>3.1/2 hours in a cinema seat watching the biggest load of drivel ever filmed.
>>
>> Try Gone with the wind.

try 11 hours of the lord of the rings drivel.
 Films that make you cry - Toy story 3 - rtj70
Also a brilliant film adaption in my opinion. I have the extended version on DVD so probably longer :-)

Just looked at LoveFilm for Leon again... the one you can reserve on DVD is 18 cert. The available BluRay version is 15 cert... odd?
 Films that make you cry - Toy story 3 - -

>> Just looked at LoveFilm for Leon again... the one you can reserve on DVD is
>> 18 cert. The available BluRay version is 15 cert... odd?
>>

That is odd, the extended Directors Cut is 15.

Run time 127 minutes.
My copy is still in a box after buying this house... bookshelf next on the list to build/assemble.

I seem to recall it was 18 when I got it. I bet it's been reclassified since and is now deemed 15 on BluRay and also the Director's Cut is newer so also 15.

Give it another few years and it will be a PG.
Original uncut version was 136 minutes. Turkish TV version 100 minutes.
SWMBO and i are possibly too quick to tears when things get emotional whether films or real situations, it seems to be something younger people don't do any more, unless they get threatened with a day's work.:-)
As She says though when they've been kicked enough in their lives as we have then they will learn to cry.

We took the daughter (aged 14 at the time) to see Phantom at Her Maj's, at the finale SW and i were weeping openly, the power of the Phantom's pain in that performance is breathtaking.
Daughter was mortified at the state of us.

One of our favourite films and an emotional one is Leon, well worth finding.
>> One of our favourite films and an emotional one is Leon, well worth finding.

One of my favourites too. And the Shawshank Redemption.

Walked out of a Leonardo di Caprio film at the weekend - Inception. Rubbish.

Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 2 Aug 10 at 22:24
 Films that make you cry - Toy story 3 - corax
>>One of our favourite films and an emotional one is Leon, well worth finding.

Love that film, hankerchief time near the end when Jean Reno thinks he's got out of the building and nasty Gary Oldman is behind him. I can't watch.
Last edited by: corax on Mon 2 Aug 10 at 22:32
Went to see Shrek tonight (professionally so to speak) - rubbish film, couldn't help thinking that Shrek as Gordon Brown and Rumpelstiltskin as Mandy - using that as an analogy a lot of the dialogue between them made perfect sense. The other similarity was that the production was pretty dire....
nasty Gary Oldman is behind him. I can't watch.
>>

''This...is...for..Ma..tilda''

''Oh Sh..''

Classic explosion with camera panning sideways in time with the blast, brilliant.
And they kind of say that was the prequel so to speak to the other Luc Besson film, Nikita, i.e. Matilda became the assassin. No idea if it's true mind. He then remade Nikita and called it the Assassin too of course.

For our American friends, Leon was 'The Professional' over there. I prefer Leon. According to IMDB there was a longer release of Leon in the US called 'Leon: The Professional'.... what did they cut out of the shortened version???
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 2 Aug 10 at 23:02

>> IMDB there was a longer release of Leon in the US called 'Leon: The Professional'....
>> what did they cut out of the shortened version???
>>

SWMBO bought me the extended version of Leon and it's considerably longer, the main differences i can recall is that Leon teaches Matilda the art of burglary and killing without obviously actually killing anyone, some of the scenes are very funny.

There are other extra scenes too, but it's probably a year since i've watched it and i have the memory span of a goldfish these days.

If you recall the original film, after Leons departure Matilda visits Tony and he gets angry with her and tells her ''no more talk of cleaning, no more'' or very similar which didn't add up in the original UK version, when you see the extended version the whole film ties in better.

Thanks GB. I thought they cut down the original US version. Clearly there's a longer version. I might get that then. Got free rental from Lovefilm for 30 days plus a £10 John Lewis voucher. I'd love to post the link and code somewhere for all to benefit but I'd get into trouble.

Edit: they don't have Leon let alone the extended version it seems.... hmm. I have the original on DVD.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 2 Aug 10 at 23:18
RTJ, the DVD we have is the Directors Cut, it might well have come from Play.com or Sendit.com, and it's region2.

EDIT, is there anything more harrowing than the opening sequel from Saving Private Ryan, they should make all politicians face a live ammo beach assault like that.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Mon 2 Aug 10 at 23:21
 Films that make you cry - Toy story 3 - Armel Coussine
I saw a very good schlock movie the other night: Three Fugitives, with Nick Nolte as a ferociously thuggish and violent, but essentially humane (!) bank robber, some nerdish guy and a cute little girl of about six or eight. The byplay between Nolte, like a baffled gorilla, and the little girl was very affecting.

Of course the plot was absurd. But the movie was funny, heartwarming, exciting, a little bit of a tearjerker and UTTER SCHLOCK. I saw it late at night and loved it. You don't have to be stupid or ignorant to adore schlock. Everyone does even if they're too uptight to admit it.
 Films that make you cry - Toy story 3 - CGNorwich
"Up" another Pixar film is also very moving especially the first half hour which certainly brought a tear to my eyes. Probably a film that is more appealing to adults than young children though.
 Films that make you cry - Toy story 3 - Netsur
We didn't need to borrow three kids for TS3 (3D) - we took our own and I think we loved it more than the kids!
 Films that make you cry - Toy story 3 - tyro
What film as made you pretend to have a cold - for any reason.

I can't remember why, but I cried when watching The Navigator (1988). Fiddler on the Roof is another film with the potential to make me cry.

This crying at films is a strange business. It helps, as GB suggests, to have reached a certain age. I remember, when I was about 12, watching the film Camille with Greta Garbo and Robert Taylor. My mother cried, which rather surprised me as I thought that the film was incredibly boring.
Last edited by: tyro on Tue 3 Aug 10 at 08:44
 Films that make you cry - Toy story 3 - BobbyG
Les Mis in the theatre still brings a lump to my throat......
then dont eat werthers, try starburst instead.
 Films that make you cry - Toy story 3 - legacylad
Didn't make me cry but the scene where Slim Pickens cops it in 'Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid' is quite emotional. Dylan singing 'KOH Door' makes the scene.
 Films that make you cry - Toy story 3 - Pat
The Snowman....why does he always melt every year?

Pat
 Films that make you cry - Toy story 3 - Cpt. Flack
The Elephant man, when he's at the theatre and the whole audience claps and cheers him. Mask, Eric Stolz, when he dies. The funeral and the poem.
Latest Forum Posts