Non-motoring > Charming! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Roger. Replies: 32

Charming! - Roger.
order-order.com/2016/05/18/emily-thornberrys-white-van-man-style-outburst/
 Charming! - legacylad
Never heard of her, but to be honest I cannot recall the name of my own MP.
I think chewing gum is a disgusting habit and females who swear don't enamour me either
 Charming! - CGNorwich
so the swearing would be OK if uttered by a man?
 Charming! - legacylad
I expect blokes to utter the odd profanity. Obviously not in normal speech, but when you cut through the hedge trimmer cable it's perfectly acceptable.
 Charming! - CGNorwich
But not woman, which is a bit of a double standard really isn't it. Presumably you don't expect them to be cutting the hedge either. :-)

Charming! - legacylad
Of course not. I don't expect a female to cut a hedge. That's what us blokes are here for.
 Charming! - CGNorwich
>> Of course not. I don't expect a female to cut a hedge. That's what us
>> blokes are here for.
>>

I think they like to be called "women" rather than "females". Handy to know if you ever have to deal with any. :-)

Charming! - Alanovich
>> Of course not. I don't expect a female to cut a hedge. That's what us
>> blokes are here for.
>>

Modern etiquette is that a lady is expected to trim back her hedge to some extent, and that she should do it herself (or have an orange lady take care of it on a remunerative basis), however a gentleman may proffer assistance, depending on an individual's requirements. Although granted this wasn't the case in the 1970s, if classic shrubbery literature is anything to go by.
 Charming! - Bromptonaut
>> Modern etiquette is that a lady is expected to trim back her hedge to some
>> extent, and that she should do it herself (or have an orange lady take care
>> of it on a remunerative basis),

>> Although granted this wasn't the case in the 1970s, if classic shrubbery literature
>> is anything to go by.

Nice one Al. By good fortune the spat beer missed the keyboard.
 Charming! - stan10
Sticks and stones ....

Somebody voted her in though !
 Charming! - Roger.
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30139832
 Charming! - Bromptonaut
>> order-order.com/2016/05/18/emily-thornberrys-white-van-man-style-outburst/

Dave doing is Flashman act again.
 Charming! - Timeonmyhands
It's the chewing with the mouth open I find offensive, ditto people talking with a mouth full of food.
 Charming! - Harleyman
I'm only surprised that someone else is surprised that a politician cannot keep her mouth shut.
 Charming! - idle_chatterer
>> It's the chewing with the mouth open I find offensive, ditto people talking with a
>> mouth full of food.
>>

There are cultures where 'noisy eating' and chewing with the mouth open are perfectly acceptable/normal, I had to re-adjust my own sensibilities on this when living in such a culture and questioned my own bias.

I wonder where this definition of 'politeness' comes from ?
 Charming! - sooty123
There are cultures where 'noisy eating' and chewing with the mouth open are perfectly acceptable/normal,

Genuine question, what sort of cultures?

>> I wonder where this definition of 'politeness' comes from ?
>>

The victorians probably.
 Charming! - Cliff Pope
>>
>> Genuine question, what sort of cultures?
>>
>>

Chinese, perhaps?
I remember eating in a chinese restaurant with a group of fellow students including a chinese, who said that a mark of appreciation of your host's really good meal was food splashed all over the table.
Everybody reaches across eating food from the various communual dishes, and if one is found especially tasty it is polite to offer a mouthfull on your chopsticks to a fellow diner.

I don't remember anything specifically about eating with one's mouth open, but with all this going on and constant noisy conversation it wouldn't be surprising.
Last edited by: Cliff Pope on Fri 20 May 16 at 08:36
 Charming! - Stuartli
>>I don't remember anything specifically about eating with one's mouth open, but with all this going on and constant noisy conversation it wouldn't be surprising. >>

One expression I'll never forget my mother saying when I was a child is: "Don't talk with your mouth full...."
 Charming! - CGNorwich
Curiously I am just reading a book on 12th Century history history and I came across a reference to Daniel of Beccles and his "Book of the Civilised Man". One of the first books in English on etiquette.

It contains the following advice:

'While food is hidden in your mouth, let your tongue not minister to words.'

other helpful hints include

If you wish to belch, remember to look up to the ceiling.'

'Do not attack your enemy while he is squatting to defecate.'

'If there is something you do not want people to know, do not tell it to your wife.'

'Say thank you to your host.'

'Don't mount your horse in the hall.'

'If visitors had already eaten, give them drink anyway.'

'Receive gifts from great men with gratitude.'

'If you are a judge, be just.'

'Eating at the table of the rich, speak little.'

'Sitting at table as a guest, you should not put your elbows on the table.'

'In front of grandees, do not openly excavate your nostril by twisting your fingers.'

Last edited by: CGNorwich on Fri 20 May 16 at 14:02
 Charming! - Focusless
>> >> Genuine question, what sort of cultures?
>>
>> Chinese, perhaps?

Been to China twice for work and I remember that being mentioned.

Also that it's considered rude to not leave anything on your plate, as that implies that your host didn't give you enough.
 Charming! - Alanovich
I don't think that would be a problem for me if I visited China, Fl. My expectation is that sweet and sour as served in Reading (guilty pleasure) is about as far from authentic Chinese cooking as it's possible to get.
 Charming! - Focusless
>> I don't think that would be a problem for me if I visited China, Fl.

It was a few years ago now but I enjoyed it (the food), although admittedly I'm not known for my fussy eating, more the opposite. Don't remember anything too whacky. I do remember seeing quite a large bowl of yellow stuff on the table and thinking that it looked like custard, then finding out it was :)

Coming back from the first trip with 3 colleagues I was the only one in the office the next day. Others had picked up food poisoning from our leaving meal; one was off work for a week IIRC.
Last edited by: Focusless on Fri 20 May 16 at 14:15
 Charming! - Dog
Burping is considered good table manners in parts of China, it shows a sign of appreciation and satiety.

Farting after a meal is an expression of thanks and appreciation to the Inuit people of Canada.

:o}
 Charming! - Alanovich
Wow. I must be half Chinese and half Inuit. I'll get Mum to show me the adoption papers.

;-)
Last edited by: Alanović on Fri 20 May 16 at 14:10
 Charming! - smokie
... only so long as you avoid the follow thru... :-)
 Charming! - Alanovich
>> There are cultures where 'noisy eating' and chewing with the mouth open are perfectly
>> acceptable/normal,
>>
>> Genuine question, what sort of cultures?

Accepted practice in much of the Balkans - Utterly normal in Serbia and Bosnia to be eating whilst arguing, mouth full, across the table. My in-laws do it as guests at my table at home, they know no different. Although I've started taking the mickey a bit in an effort to address the behaviour with humour, so as they don't go and make themselves thought rude at other places in this country. And they have realised it's not the done thing here, even though when the penny dropped they were quite surprised that such a thing would be thought rude and were minded to think that I was on a wind up. Hard to break habits of a lifetime though.
 Charming! - sooty123
Cheers, I've travelled about a bit, but can't say ive ever seen it.
 Charming! - Armel Coussine
I can remember a very unpleasant Welshwoman who ate, grinning, with her mouth open and food clinging to the blackened stumps of her remaining teeth. Not a pretty sight.
 Charming! - sherlock47
She was probably very proud that she had teeth.

I remember a dentist who did their training in Wales telling me that her expertise of extraction had been refined pulling all teeth from 21yr old women. It was still common practice even as late as the 1960s to be given a birthday (or wedding) present of Total tooth removal + dentures.
 Charming! - Harleyman

>> I remember a dentist who did their training in Wales telling me that her
>> expertise of extraction had been refined pulling all teeth from 21yr old women. It was
>> still common practice even as late as the 1960s to be given a birthday (or
>> wedding) present of Total tooth removal + dentures.
>>

If you've ever tried to find an NHS dentist in Wales who will take on new patients, you'll understand why. I'm fortunatye inasmuch as I got onto mine when I met my wife.
 Charming! - Dog
>>It was still common practice even as late as the 1960s to be given a birthday (or wedding) present of Total tooth removal + dentures.

Dat's right, 'appened to my ole mum. Bjorn in 1910, had 'em all out when I was about 9 or 10, I was Bjorn in '52, so I reckon she was in her 50's [gulp]
 Charming! - Ted
Me ole mam cleaned her gnashers with Vim or Ajax scouring powder and smoked like a chimbley.

Went to meet her maker at 82 with a full, unfilled set !
 Charming! - rtj70
My father died aged 43 when I was 9. He also had lost all his teeth as far as I recall. I assume from smoking and gum problems. Smoker from age 13/14 or so I understand.
Latest Forum Posts